Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to UDP things | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > UDP things > Pulic Transport - ???

Replies in this thread : 17

Author

Topic : Pulic Transport - ???

wahiba
Website Member

Website Member

21/09/2004 : 20:09:09      reply with quote

I read the report and to sum up.

The inspector caught the train to Silsden. He diced with death crossing the by-pass. If anyone wants to build more houses in Silsden they need to:

1 ensure most trains are met by a bus.
2 There is a decent off road footpath/cycle route from train to village.
3 There is a safe crossing of the bypass.

Do not hold your breath.wink ;)
click for more information

wahiba
Website Member

Website Member

21/09/2004 : 20:10:15      reply with quote

PUBLIC - no spell checkersad :(

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2011 : 14:58:56      reply with quote

Years down the line, you can still get off the train at Silsden/Steeton and walk into either town/village before the next bus comes through?

Is it

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2011 : 15:14:22      reply with quote

If the two services where coordinated properly, they would be a valuable asset to thr ares. As they stand, they present problems to large parts of the population, namely the disabled and the elderly.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2011 : 15:24:23      reply with quote

Silsden is a Tory Town. Therefore they would rather have crap services than pay taxes.

You get what you vote for.

shropshirelad
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2011 : 18:31:54      reply with quote

posted by wahiba
PUBLIC - no spell checkersad :(
It could have been worse........laugh :D

localman
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2011 : 19:56:35      reply with quote

so if Silsden was a labour town all the buses would meet the trains there would be no pubs closing no empty shops every one would be happy what a load of tosh we pay enough taxes and due to labour policies most of our hard earned taxes helps keep the spongers, immigrants,asylum seekers, africans who come here to have bloody six kids then claim they want to stay having already cost the poor tax payer £200,000 get real its a short walk just do it

e.c.
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2011 : 00:14:03      reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly with your comments,Wohiba,over the years S.T.C.have had meetings with Metro,B.M.D.C.Sadly to no avail but we are still trying to inprove this situation through the area joint transport committee and fully aware of the problem.

Old Miner,I would politely point out to you that the councillors on S.T.C. are from all political backgrounds, and natiolal party politics are never an issue at council meetings. Of course at times there are some "lively meetings" but we all try to do the best for Silsden.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2011 : 10:21:55      reply with quote

See what I mean.

posted by localman
so if Silsden was a labour town all the buses would meet the trains there would be no pubs closing no empty shops every one would be happy what a load of tosh we pay enough taxes and due to labour policies most of our hard earned taxes helps keep the spongers, immigrants,asylum seekers, africans who come here to have bloody six kids then claim they want to stay having already cost the poor tax payer £200,000 get real its a short walk just do it

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2011 : 17:33:02      reply with quote

I have said this many a time before but it is still relevant, we have 3 Con party ward councillors representing us her in Craven, so when their party is in power at Bradford they say we donít need to worry about Craven it is our safe seat, and when the Lab party is in power they say craven is a Tory seat so we wonít do anything to help there! However if we had one member from each of the main parties we would be a marginal seat and they all would be falling over themselves to try and prove they should have more Councillors.

robin
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2011 : 12:07:21      reply with quote

posted by GAMEKEEPER
If the two services where coordinated properly, they would be a valuable asset to thr ares. As they stand, they present problems to large parts of the population, namely the disabled and the elderly.
How times change: When I asked some time ago why the Jacksons bus could'nt meet the train from leeds at 8.56, I was told to be more positive.

PeterJS
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2011 : 14:47:15      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

When I use to get the train back from Uni on a Friday the 903 would be at the bus stop at the same time, but it left shortly after the train doors opened sad :(

It is no better in Ilkley. I have taken the train there a couple of times from Leeds. The bus service's to Keighley would leave just as trains arrive so I had to wait 20 mins for the next bus. Then the bus I were on left just as another train was opening its doors!

I think this could have been metro making the link easy if you are going bus -> train but not train -> bus!

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2011 : 08:39:46      reply with quote

Ilkley buses seem to connect with Bradford trains at Ilkley.

Keighley buses are not to bad for Leeds trains.

rienki
Website Member

Website Member

23/05/2012 : 03:56:51      reply with quote

There are some people who really dread commuting and though it is not really something to love and rave about, it sure is something that could be made better by having an effective public transport system.

And the one we have now seems to actually be pretty competitive and efficient for anyone's comfort. You just have to see the purpose in whatever you are doing to actually appreciate it.

But I have to admit that there really are times that you just get one over it.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

27/05/2012 : 17:36:27      reply with quote

New bus time table now means the Keighley bus does not leave Ilkley as the train arrives. Probably of more use to Addingham commuters, but Silsden commuters can gain as Ilkley is a cheaper transport zone than Silsden.

Regarding the need for commuting. Before 'cheap' transport people lived withing walking distance of work. Maybe one benefit of the move towards renting rather than buying will mean people starting to do this again; assuming it is an affordable option!!!!!!

robin
Website Member

Website Member

28/05/2012 : 10:17:21      reply with quote

As the Ilkley bus leaves Keighley ten minutes later than previously,(after 9.30 ) it does not go past Steeton station as the Leeds trains pull in, it is possible to reach the bus stop in time.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

28/05/2012 : 10:46:13      reply with quote

I don't think that there are such things as jobs on your door step anymore. I have tried and failed to get jobs closer to home on many occaisions even though this would lead to taking a wage drop.

Public transport does not work. I previously used public transport but it was so frequent that there were delays leading to me to missing connections and made me late that I was threatened with a disciplinary if I could not take moves to remedy the situation. On top of that I find the public transport is frequently packed to the point where you not only do not have seating but the area left to stand on is less than appropriate. All of these factors coupled with the fact that I now start work so early that there is not option for public transport I have given up on the whole idea.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

28/05/2012 : 16:09:47      reply with quote

Actually the point I was making was that when people rent then it is easier to move nearer to ones place of work.

Before the market was heavily tilted towards the 'property owning democracy' it was common for people to move near to their place of work. Commuting was a creation of the railway companies, especially around London.

Public transport when it started was as much a means of transportation for the 'middle' classes as it was a means of transporting the workers to their place of work.

As well as being biased towards property owning the transport market was biased towards car ownership. So much for free market economics from the Tories!

Of course, the consequences of biasing a market mean that one day the correction has to come when the chickens come home to roost.

Both the housing markets and the transport markets are starting that correction. It will be interesting to see where it ends up.

Replies in this thread : 17

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > UDP things > Pulic Transport - ???  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to