Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to UDP things | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > UDP things > The neglected streets of Silsden

Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : The neglected streets of Silsden

DocWells
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2005 : 23:25:38      reply with quote

See:
www.freewebs.com/silsden/
or
www.TheStreetsofSilsden.co.uk

The above site has no political affiliation.
click for more information

alan
Website Member

Website Member

31/03/2005 : 08:58:34      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

DocWells is to be commended in taking up the fight of Spencer Avenue.
As he quite rightly states Beryl Simister, supported by Anne Cryer, valiantly fought the battle of the unadopted road with Bradford Metropolitan Council but was stone walled with the standard unadopted road response.
Silsden Town Council also supported the fight and also tried other various options such as the Co-Op, without success.
This road is a significant access road in Silsden and it is a continuing disgrace that Bradford refuse to do anything about it.
How can Bradford justify spending many thousands of pounds on road improvements and traffic calming measures elsewhere in Bradford District whilst allowing this dangerous situation to continue?

Rach227
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2005 : 13:39:28      reply with quote

I totally agree Silsden's streets should be made much sfaer then they are at this apparent moment

jinjinho
Website Member

Website Member

30/06/2005 : 18:48:07      reply with quote

yeh think abuot it you wouldn't want to be walking down, say... skipton road and fall over a snail and be mugged by people hiding in a bush wud you??

mystery person
Website Member

Website Member

10/07/2005 : 15:30:47      reply with quote

well come to think about it i wouldn't mind if it was elliot street.

frankly frank
Website Member

Website Member

30/10/2005 : 20:22:21      reply with quote

The state of the pavements of unadopted Spencer Avenue and lower Hillcrest Avenue are truly a disgrace on the town, and a danger to pedestrians.

The carriageways provide access to significant residential areas, and Keighley Planning Department should have insisted that the pavements be brought up to standard as planning gain when Skipton Properties built their new development some ten years ago.

Surely now the local UDC Conservative Craven Ward Councillors have contingency funds such that they could collectively allocate to a 'one off' solution to these dangerous pavements. It would be a worthy contribution to the Ward from its public representatives.

Silsden Town Council could also consider using their statutory powers to levy a one off small precept on the local rates as a gesture to contribute to any funding.

Grianan
Website Member

Website Member

01/11/2005 : 20:38:32      reply with quote

Would a question about this be a good subject for a poll on this site?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2005 : 07:44:29      reply with quote

A good idea, but to make a survey I need some questions.

Please send the questions you would like to be asked to www.silsden.net/about/email.shtm

If you want the survey to be of use you have to suggest a series of options. For the topic of the maintenance of Spencer Avenue and Hillcrest Avenue you should first look at www.freewebs.com/silsden/

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2005 : 19:29:59      reply with quote

Why should I have to pay for the repair of someone elses road? WhenI bought my house included in the price was a sum for the cost of building the road to the required standard.
Previously I used to live on an unadopted road which the council decided should be brought up to adoptable standard, Myself and everone who lived on the road had to pay to have this work done.
Let the owners of these roads pay just the same as I have had to do twice.
I you get hurt walking alone one of these highways sue the householder it is their responsability.

mallinson
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2005 : 16:54:29      reply with quote

posted by alan
DocWells is to be commended in taking up the fight of Spencer Avenue.
As he quite rightly states Beryl Simister, supported by Anne Cryer, valiantly fought the battle of the unadopted road with Bradford Metropolitan Council but was stone walled with the standard unadopted road response.
Silsden Town Council also supported the fight and also tried other various options such as the Co-Op, without success.
This road is a significant access road in Silsden and it is a continuing disgrace that Bradford refuse to do anything about it.
How can Bradford justify spending many thousands of pounds on road improvements and traffic calming measures elsewhere in Bradford District whilst allowing this dangerous situation to continue?

mallinson
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2005 : 17:06:45      reply with quote

As one of the district councillors for the Craven area i can assure members of this forum that i have looked in to the whole issue of unadopted roads. I have debated this at environment scrutiny in Bradford and with the portfolio holder for the environment. Bradford as a district has more unadopted roads than many other authorities and has argued this with other MP's to get funding support from government to put this right. CBMDC has in place a procedure for residents to put these roads back to an adoptable standard if they want to pay.

alan
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2005 : 20:09:13      reply with quote

Welcome to the forum councillor.

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

19/12/2005 : 14:00:27      reply with quote

Councillor Mallinson may be looking at all the unadopted roads in Bradmet but how does this help the resident of Hillcrest Avenue which has, I would suggest, a rather special case. I don't suppose all the roads leading off Hillcrest Avenue are unadopted so as this is the access road to all the properties beyond, perhaps the road should be deemed adoted by default.

Perhaps the residents of Hillcreast Road should charge a toll for all that require access to the roads/residents beyond - why should they pay to repair a road and pavement which has been brought into disrepair through no fault of themselves?

The storm water drain at the end of Hillcreast Avenue (by Bell Square) has been blocked for years and water regulary bubbles out of the manhole cover and runs down and across the road to drain into the beck. The drain is obviously blocked under Bridge Street but because the manhole cover is on Hillcrest Avenue all authorities pass the buck and expect the residents of the road to foot the bill.

Obviously nobody want to pay to repair the road perhaps the solution is to write to our MP. This is really easy to do ..... just use this link www.locata.co.uk/commons/

mallinson
Website Member

Website Member

20/12/2005 : 23:51:21      reply with quote

When you say the word "priority" where do you begin? There are unadopted roads that prevent dissabled people from leaving thier homes safley, there are roads that lead to schools that mean children have to walk through puddles to get there. There are roads that are very long with only a few properties on them and the owners can not afford to pay. Please give me a sensible solution and i will fight your corner. The fact is that people KNOW that they are buying a house at a reduced value and reduced council tax because of the condition of the road. For many years people have had that luxury and now cry the poor tale. It would be unjust to have the rest of the tax payers bail them out. I am doing what i can to find a way of getting Silsdens roads at least brought up to a safer standard than they are now.

mallinson
Website Member

Website Member

20/12/2005 : 23:55:46      reply with quote

posted by alan
Welcome to the forum councillor.
Thanks for the welcome. Judging by some of the stories a district councillor is not always welcome, especially a Tory one !!

alan
Website Member

Website Member

21/12/2005 : 07:46:54      reply with quote

Well "mallinson", as one of those rare councillors that obviously have Silsden at heart, take the trouble to attend Town Council meetings, and are prepared to stand your corner for the Town you are more than welcome to this forum, Tory, or not.

But don't let that go to your head happy :) we may nip at your ankles from time to time!

alan
Website Member

Website Member

21/12/2005 : 16:15:11      reply with quote

Just WHO is responsible for Hillcrest Avenue?

Is the Co-op partly responsible?

Why wasn't it made a condition of planning when the Co-op was built that they contributed to bringing this road up to adoptable standard?

Why are the pavings so damaged to Spencer Avenue and Hillcrest? Is it just lack of maintenance or damage by wagons, construction traffic, delivery traffic, etc?

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

23/12/2005 : 19:39:28      reply with quote

the land owners are responsible for the bit of land outside their property. when the new co-op was built the then parish council insisted that a section 106 was put in place to make them bring the roads bounding the store up to adoptable standards, but bradfoed council never bothered to get the co-op to sign it so when the store was finished they simply said no. once again the incompetence of bradford has let the towns folk of silsden down. i was infoemed many years ago that the then new roads up spencer ave were damaged by tanks during the war.

alan
Website Member

Website Member

29/12/2005 : 20:22:32      reply with quote

A Quote from the T&A -

Tax collectors gathered nearly £4 million surplus in Bradford this year, and now council chiefs are under pressure to reveal how they will spend it.

We have an idea Councillor Mallinson - how about some on unadopted roads in Silsden?

mallinson
Website Member

Website Member

06/01/2006 : 21:41:48      reply with quote

Happy New Year to everyone.
Let me put my priorities in order for the record.
Firstly, i am a "local" councillor who loves the area to which i have been ellected and respect the position to which i have been ellected.
Secondly, i am a district councillor which means that i also have to acknowlwdge that Brd as a whole has a number of problems that need adressing rather than ignoring. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to allocate sufficient funds to bring all roads up to adoptable standards. Realisticaly this will not happen, when education, extra care for the elderly and abused children all become a greater priority. As for attending town council meetings, i do go as many times as i can and i have broad shoulders. (they come with the job !)

DocWells
Website Member

Website Member

13/01/2006 : 19:15:00      reply with quote

www.TheStreetsofSilsden.co.uk

In reply to the comment from 'Grandad' about the tanks damaging Spenser Avenue, my understanding is that the Ministry of Defence (War Office) made funds avaiable to the local council, in compensation, to repair Spencer Avenue. These repairs were never made. The repairs are therefore
still outstanding!!!

In 2001, it was stated in a Report to Bradford's Executive Committee, that Spencer Avenue was the sole access to significantly more houses in adopted roads than any other unadopted road in the Bradford area. In this respect Spencer Avenue is unique.

Why has the BMDC not applied for EEC funding towards the adoption of streets as in previous years? MEPs have replied to my e-mails about this but not BMDC members! Other councils are adopting roads, even in former mining areas. Why not the BMDC?

The BMDC are a little too congratulatory about their achievements..even using national TV air time to express such views when being intervied about the death of a policewoman!

It is interesting that Councillor Mallinson has appeared in this forum. I did not detect any interest when I e-mailed him last year. He never bothered to reply. It is all a little too easy to blame the (Labour) Government for a lack of funding.

Beryl Simister was treated atrociosly during her campaign. Some of the comments made in this forum, while understandable in places, show a lack of care and understanding which is quite deplorable.

The BMDC has a resposibility of care towards those that fall within its domain.

solid wood flooring

DocWells
Website Member

Website Member

15/01/2006 : 10:10:25      reply with quote

‘Grandad’ asks “Why should I have to pay for the repair of someone elses road? When I bought my house included in the price was a sum for the cost of building the road to the required standard”

That is also true of the original purchasers of properties in Spencer Avenue.

He also says “Previously I used to live on an unadopted road which the council decided should be brought up to adoptable standard, Myself and everyone who lived on the road had to pay to have this work done”

One should be very careful when using such arguments even though the sentiment expressed is understandable. If the council decides not to provide a specific funding or service and some people then have to pay for that service, the council can then argue that the service, or funding, can NEVER be (re)introduced as it would be unfair to those that have paid!

Think of the current situation with an NHS Hospital Trust that stops providing a medical procedure on the grounds of cost. The same argument could then be applied for those people who use the private sector for treatment. The private patient does not want their NHS contributions (compare with local taxes above) going towards providing the treatment for others when they have had to pay for it out of their own pockets. The Trust can also argue that the treatment cannot be reintroduced as it would be unfair to the private patients.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2006 : 18:33:38      reply with quote

Doc/wells, if we follow your reasoning, then if I want to get rid of some unwanted rubbish I can go and fly tip it anywhere I want to and let the council tax payers pick up the costs, which I should have paid in the first place.
And they can’t complain or the council might stop cleaning up the rubbish.

You are also wrong when you say that the original people who bought the houses on spencer Ave paid to have the road built up to adoptable standard, had they done so then we would not be have this problem now, the road was built to an un adoptable standard

DocWells
Website Member

Website Member

23/01/2006 : 13:37:29      reply with quote

The example of illegal fly tippers is totally misleading. How can the residents of Spencer Avenue in any way be compared with criminals? They are the wronged, not the wrong doers. Clearly, compliance with the law is implicit, thus invalidating the argument.

‘Grandad’ appears to be very knowledgeable about the history of Spencer Avenue and the role of the Parish Council. Does he have, or has he had, access to the Council records?

For what specific reason(s) was Spencer Avenue not ‘adoptable’ other than adoption being delayed/stopped because of the war/tank damage?

What happened to the War Office reparations for Spencer Avenue?

It was reported in the Guardian Unlimited that in Bradford the Council used £65,000 of European funding in the 1990s to upgrade and adopt 70 streets.

What is Grandad’s attitude towards EEC funding being used towards road adoption?

Did Grandad benefit from an EEC subsidy (from European tax payers) for his road adoption?

Should Bradford Metropolitan District Council reapply for EEC funding?

Seeking damages for injuries sustained in a fall is no substitute for eliminating the underlying risk. This approach is the absolute antithesis of current Health and Safety practice and associated legal provision.

What is important is that the pavements are made safe irrespective of who foots the bill.

watchit
Website Member

Website Member

15/03/2006 : 17:40:28      reply with quote

I see we have to put our wellies on to go to the CoOp because the drain at the end of Hillcrest Avenue IS STILL BLOCKED. When IS something going to be done about this?

alan
Website Member

Website Member

15/03/2006 : 19:36:04      reply with quote

Remember that when you go to vote on the 16th!

Just ask which party has ruled Bradford, and Silsden, for the past few years!

watchit
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2006 : 13:36:11      reply with quote

But what have our wonderful local councillors done about it? This has been going on for years, what makes you think a change of local party will do anything sensible about the national policy for unadopted roads.

When it stops raining we can forget all about it can't we?*?*?*

Everyone is too busy blaming someone else, get on and get it fixed instead of making excuses!

This is not a resident problem but a council problem.

DocWells
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2006 : 18:34:54      reply with quote

Cllr Mallinson says:

‘Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to allocate sufficient funds to bring all roads up to adoptable standards. Realisticaly this will not happen, when education, extra care for the elderly and abused children all become a greater priority’.

Indeed, it is the elderly who are at risk of falling in Spencer Avenue, which can place quite a burden on the NHS (www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/ehc24.pdf ). Mothers also walk their kids in the road, as the road is a much better surface than the pavement. In fact, as an unadopted road, Spencer Avenue has proved to be very durable! The pavement is the problem.

Cllr Mallinson’s comments are a classic political ploy to avoid an issue. Think of the elderly, the children…..as if the BMDC did not spend money on other projects. Note the ‘all the roads’. The problem is deemed so big it is totally dismissed. When funds are limited you should tackle the problem bit by bit like other councils.

Spencer and Hillcrest Avenues are two of those that should be at the top of the list. In 2001, it was stated in a Report to Bradford's Executive Committee, that Spencer Avenue was the sole access to significantly more houses in adopted roads than any other unadopted road in the Bradford area.

It is not appropriate for councils to give planning permission for new estates and then expect those that live in the sole access road to pay for its upkeep.

alan
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2006 : 10:53:27      reply with quote

I would suggest anyone who is seriously interested in unadopted roads should read this link.

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmhansrd/vo020618/halltext/20618h05.htm

The worrying thing with unadopted roads is that if they get in to such a state of disrepair the council can insist that they are repaired at the residents expense. Also any accidents on the pavement or road can result in a claim against the residents!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2006 : 19:29:58      reply with quote

Every one as access to council records! it is called the freedom of information act.
when I paid for my bit of the road to be made up to standard there was no such thing as a subsidy from the eec, it was before the british public was conned by edward heath into voting to stay in it.

alan
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2006 : 09:04:33      reply with quote

Story from the T&A, now how many roads in Silsden would this sort?

Firm's bonus is `for failure'
by John Roberts

The private company which runs Bradford schools is to receive more than £670,000 despite missing more than half its targets.

And Education Bradford could receive almost all of its maximum £1 million bonus while achieving less than 50 per cent of its goals.

The targets set for the company, run by Serco, were lowered last year by Bradford Council.

wahiba
Website Member

Website Member

13/04/2006 : 20:12:19      reply with quote

If the roads were used as conduits for traffic, instead of as car parks, chances are much of the damage from cars half on the road and half on the pavement would not occur. If people want to park onthe road then they should pay extra. Parking on theroad is a privledge, NOT a right.

HB
Website Member

Website Member

17/04/2006 : 16:32:31      reply with quote

"If people want to park onthe road then they should pay extra. Parking on theroad is a privledge, NOT a right"

And there was me thinking that thats what we paid our road tax for!

wahiba
Website Member

Website Member

23/04/2006 : 19:16:52      reply with quote

Nope. You pay your road tax for the road that you travel on. It does not give you the right to use it as a car park.

alan
Website Member

Website Member

23/04/2006 : 19:48:04      reply with quote

Does that mean I don't pay for parking my 4x4 on the pavement?

At last I'm getting summat for free - whhhooopppeee!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

25/04/2006 : 11:58:47      reply with quote

If the war office gave funds to Silsden UDC to bring Hillcrest Ave upto standard(assuming this can be proved) then I dont see a problem.The council has to do the work.Bradford MDC asborbed Silsden UDC so its Bradford the should do the work.

The water under Hillcrest Ave will be washing the current road foundations away.So if a big hole opens up and someone ends up at the bottom who will be resposable?

Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > UDP things > The neglected streets of Silsden  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to