Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > spring/summer

Replies in this thread : 11

Author

Topic : spring/summer

carolyn1
Website Member

Website Member

01/04/2010 : 12:30:00      reply with quote

How about a bit more pride in our main high street, with a few flower baskets and troughs this summer. The town hall was an embarrassing disaster last year with it's flower display. Also can somebody tell me, what happened with the spheres on the pavement, as you come over the bridge into Silsden they look very attractive painted cream, then what happens around the bend - peeling,scruffy blue spheres. Did we run out of paint or what?
click for more information

JeanD
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2010 : 22:40:19      reply with quote

If everyone made a little more effort we could have a lovely village, hanging baskets and tubs of flowers!! wonder how long they would last ? I agree with the town hall boxes lets hope someone makes a better effort this year.

tushy2
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2010 : 22:56:56      reply with quote

Silsden Youth Council have built and planted the existing flower boxes on the Town Hall window sills, they are going to do the remainder next week (hopefully), if not very soon. The plants and compost were donated by Silsden CO-OP. Some people are trying to make the town look better. What are you doing?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2010 : 23:42:31      reply with quote

Could do with getting that tacky banner down from the firework shop!!

Depth Charge Ethel
Website Member

Website Member

09/04/2010 : 22:10:29      reply with quote

Why does someone have to make a better effort why not "Evrybody" get off your arses and do somthing

greengrass
Website Member

Website Member

10/04/2010 : 08:41:40      reply with quote

Ethel get down on your knees and praylaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

bogtramp
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2010 : 15:07:08      reply with quote

I live next door to that tacky firework shop banner, I'll have a word with my landlord and see if he'll take it down as he owns it.

Best I can do

ilyama
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2010 : 22:06:38      reply with quote

Perhaps we can link this thread to the "need volunteers" one ? (posted by Peter previously).

Plenty to do and some 6th formers looking for something to do....

If needed, I'm sure we can rustle up some funds for them to use (I'd stump up a tin of blue paint)

Silsdener2
Website Member

Website Member

19/06/2012 : 10:27:51      reply with quote

I agree that hanging baskets and more plant displays would brighten up the main street. One way to achieve that is through the RHS 'Britain in Bloom' scheme, which other local towns and villages use, including Keighley. But it needs a reasonable number of people to run it. I'd help. Any other takers?

Silsdener2
Website Member

Website Member

19/06/2012 : 10:49:02      reply with quote

Silsden's waterways are being taken over by Himalayan Balsalm, which is a highly invasive non-native
plant. Each plant produces hundreds of seeds which it casts several metres away from itself when seedpods are ripe. The plants are easy to pull up, and now is the time to do it as they're not yet flowering.

By the end of July they'll be ready to 'pop', so now is the time to act. They'll be spreading their seeds along the banks of streams, the water also carrying them downstream. Left to themselves, they soon crowd out all native wildflowers, very quickly taking over large areas.

Is anyone out there able to offer an hour or two to clear our waterways? A small group of us has made a start, but more help would be welcome.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

20/06/2012 : 10:21:37      reply with quote

I am willing to help out with some gardening around some of the public flower beds and such.

It is too late this year but next year I don't mind using a small amount of space in my allotment to grow a few annuals on from seed.

I cant speak for other areas but as far as the houses on Keighley Road residents including myself have put out tubs and baskets in previous years and there has been some tomfoolery including tubs being tipped over into the road.

As the level of behaviour with people passing has iproved immeasurably I am trying againt this year to put some tubs and baskets out. And there are a few hwo have also tried and I am sure this will encouage others to give it a go.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

20/06/2012 : 19:19:39      reply with quote

posted by Silsdener2
Silsden's waterways are being taken over by Himalayan Balsalm, which is a highly invasive non-native
plant. Each plant produces hundreds of seeds which it casts several metres away from itself when seedpods are ripe. The plants are easy to pull up, and now is the time to do it as they're not yet flowering.

By the end of July they'll be ready to 'pop', so now is the time to act. They'll be spreading their seeds along the banks of streams, the water also carrying them downstream. Left to themselves, they soon crowd out all native wildflowers, very quickly taking over large areas.

Is anyone out there able to offer an hour or two to clear our waterways? A small group of us has made a start, but more help would be welcome.
Hi Silsdener2

The SEG now has its own website and blog through which we can share news, events and hopefully is another way to reach potential volunteers who do not necessarily use silsden.net and it is also a central point of contact for the group.

Here is the link (including details on how to contact the group)

theenvironmentalgroup.silsden.net/

Replies in this thread : 11

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > spring/summer  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to