Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Community involvement in speed surveys

Replies in this thread : 14

Author

Topic : Community involvement in speed surveys

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 13:35:00      reply with quote

Silsden would be a safer place to live if we supported the PCSO team and volunteered for some of the road speed surveys.

I admit that I can have a leaded right foot at times, but some of these idiots seem to think nothing of doing 60 + up Bolton and Skipton Roads.

How long is it going to be before someone is killed, will they be bothered?

Similarly the infamous school run!
click for more information

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 15:02:58      reply with quote

Agreed quite alot of people thing the speed limit changes from 30 to 50 mph on the canal bridge
heading towards the bypasssad :(

gez
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 17:45:55      reply with quote

What a waste of time they are,they give my son a written warning for sounding his horn at his mate,waste of tax payers money.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 18:59:42      reply with quote

Pumbajunior, Please can you tell us just where the speed limit changes from 30 to 50 at the canal bridge?
I thought the limit was 30 until the football ground just past Belton rd, where it changed to a 40 limit, then shortly after crossing the Aire river bridge it changed to the national speed limit!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 19:00:44      reply with quote

gez
Where, and at what time did your son sound his horn?

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 20:48:05      reply with quote

posted by grandad
Pumbajunior, Please can you tell us just where the speed limit changes from 30 to 50 at the canal bridge?
I thought the limit was 30 until the football ground just past Belton rd, where it changed to a 40 limit, then shortly after crossing the Aire river bridge it changed to the national speed limit!

Just re-read his post and you will get your answer...

PeterJS
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2011 : 22:01:11      reply with quote

@gez the horn is there to "warn other road users of your presence". Not when stationary or in built up areas between 11.30PM and 7.00AM "except when another road user poses a danger".
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070289

If I'm correct I think a police Constable can issue a fixed penalty notice for 30 for "abusing" the horn, if you were to protest and go to court the fine could be a lot higher!

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 07:20:54      reply with quote

posted by Baldybogey
posted by grandad

Just re-read his post and you will get your answer...
agreed
Grandad what i was saying was people think its 50mph once over the bridge (it isnt but 40-50mph is the speed most people do down towards the shell garage)

im well aware it is 30mph to the crossing near the football ground by belton road
i just wish others were aware too

the mentality seems to be were out of silsden main street floor itsad :(

carliol
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 07:41:40      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

That's why it's getting dangerous trying to get out of Belton Road...cars come racing down at 40+ and you don't get time to get out safely. New roundabout please, that would slow em down.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 07:57:20      reply with quote

When I had my car crashed into by a stolen car on Keighley Road I asked the PSCO's if they could do some speed surveys. I know they did do a couple, but they were during peak times when the amount of traffic is high and so drivers would not be able to speed. Living on Keighley Road I know that late evening and at quieter times over the weekend.

At times the speed of vehicles coming down Keighley Road is terrifying.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 08:27:08      reply with quote

2 areas that I've noticed which are bad for high speed driving are, Howden Road, the times that I've seen a young chap coming down from Brunthwaite Lane area like a bat out of hell. Also, Elliott Street, where there is also a lack of give and take where the cars are parked up. Doesn't anyone allow a little extra time to get to where they are going, or do they like a lie in and constantly run late.?
Elliott St. is an accident waiting to happen. Also, the number of people on mobile phones negotiating the right hand turn into Keighley Rd.which is hairy enough at the best of times.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 10:38:39      reply with quote

posted by Golden Oldie
Doesn't anyone allow a little extra time to get to where they are going, or do they like a lie in and constantly run late.?
I am pretty sure you are correct. Especially in a morning, I drive to North Leeds about 6ish and I try to drive at the speed limit, and leave enough time to get settled into my day with a cup of coffee before I am due to start but the amount of people who feel it is their right to overtake no matter whether it is where there are ghost islands, crossings, outisde schools it is always the same few people, I suggest they set there alarm a little earlier and also learn that the speed limits are a maximum not a minimum.

JeanD
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 11:41:06      reply with quote

How about 20 miles per hour from football club right through to end of houses up Bolton Road (including all streets in Silsden East Morton for example !!! a few speed camaras would help!

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 14:10:34      reply with quote

What a waste of money putting up new signs with a big 20 on them...

Some people can't comprehend what the ones already up with the big 30 on them mean.

If 30 can't be enforced then what use would the change be???

PeterJS
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2011 : 17:18:08      reply with quote

They would inconvenience the responsible drivers who stick to a safe speed.
I'm sure speed cameras can only be placed depending on how many accidents have occurred on that stretch of road.

Replies in this thread : 14

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Community involvement in speed surveys  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to