Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Road Closure

Replies in this thread : 4

Author

Topic : Road Closure

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2011 : 21:30:02      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have heard today that the A59 from Skipton and Harrogate will be closed between the 6Th June and the 11Th July for repair work to prevent future land slips, therefore Ilkley will be chaotic most of this time.

click for more information

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

08/05/2011 : 09:05:41      reply with quote

The sign has been up for over a week now. The section down to Blubberhouses towards Harrogate is the problem. Whether or not a few weeks will solve the problem in the long term is problematical.
Trouble is, other than building a viaduct down the valley to the left of the original road or a semi landslip resistant tunnel down the original route it will be a recurring problem.
I always thought that road, rather than the old road over the top past the quarry was fairly recent. However, according to the old reproduction OS map from the mid 1800s it was built then, well before motor traffic.
Other interesting point off that map is Dangerous Corner near Menwith Hill. A dangerous corner it is a the top of the hill, but why was it dangerous in the 1800s?

carliol
Website Member

Website Member

08/05/2011 : 09:24:50      reply with quote

I think the A59 is an old Roman road, maybe the name Dangerous Corner could go back to olden times?

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2011 : 10:26:25      reply with quote

Just had a look at the map. Cassini reproductions, very good, old maps but set up to same scale and area as current 1:50000 series.

Roughly opposite to what is now the entrance to Menwith Hill Camp there is 'Turpins Laire' so maybe the corner was dangerous not becasue of traffic, but for who might be waiting there!!!!!!!!!!

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2011 : 13:58:02      reply with quote

posted by carliol
I think the A59 is an old Roman road, maybe the name Dangerous Corner could go back to olden times?
The Romans usualy built roads in straight lines... so if there was a corner back then it would certainly be dangerous.

Replies in this thread : 4

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Road Closure  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to