Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Anyone think speed should be 20mph around AireView & Hothfield Schools

Replies in this thread : 9

Author

Topic : Anyone think speed should be 20mph around AireView & Hothfield Schools

Drury82
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2011 : 21:30:41      reply with quote

I cannot understand why the speed limit hasen't been restricted to 20mph on Elliott St & Hothfield Street as well as AireView & South View terrace.
Theres alot of parked cars, often on both sides of the road as well as blind corners for vehicles, and for all the parents who live locally and walk their children to school, I was wondering if such a suggestion has already been made?
I live near the schools and to be honest I wouldn't even mid speed bumps, as have seen many a boy racer go over 30mph up the roads without a thought that children may live on these residential streets or be crossing the road to school!
click for more information

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2011 : 21:41:52      reply with quote

Yes itís been asked for many times, but Bradford highways donít care about the welfare of our children only protecting their money so they can waste it on stupid projects in Bradford!

PeterJS
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2011 : 21:49:52      reply with quote

Addingham main street and the road passing the school is 20Mph, so is Kildwick. So why not Silsden?
It doesn't make any sense why 20Mph zones have been set up in small villages but not Silsden. Surely if it is necessary in Kildwick and Addingham then it definitely is in Silsden due to higher volume of traffic and children attending school!
Really you shouldn't need signs and obstacles to force people to drive "safely".

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2011 : 12:05:43      reply with quote

I think the main street should definitely be made a 20mph zone.
Some idiot driving an Ilkley Plumbing van nearly mowed everyone down at the end of Clog Bridge on Sudnay morning. Must have be doing at least 40 through the main street.
Jerks like him while only being a minority need to understand how to drive through towns and villages!!!

Shazza
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2011 : 19:12:19      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Unfortunately it isn't just the 'boy racers' that are the problem at school time, it's the parents of the children that attend the schools. Not all of them some are quite conciderate, especially the ones that walk their children to school.
I am suprised I don't have ulcers from the stress of trying to walk my children to and from school safely.
What would help would be for parents that feel they have to drive to school is that they actually use their mirrors and indicate!
And don't get me started on the ones that stand on the pavements, forcing parents to walk their children on the road. angry

Speed bumps or resticting speed would be great though. Maybe when someone is seriously hurt or worse something will be done about it.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2011 : 19:28:39      reply with quote

dont go asking for restrictions on elliot st as we would then be sending the death warrent for the fire stationsad :(lazy parents should walk to school ,surley no one lives too far from the schools to not walkhappy :)

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2011 : 19:57:10      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Spanish Omelette
I think the main street should definitely be made a 20mph zone.
Some idiot driving an Ilkley Plumbing van nearly mowed everyone down at the end of Clog Bridge on Sudnay morning. Must have be doing at least 40 through the main street.
Jerks like him while only being a minority need to understand how to drive through towns and villages!!!
agreed 20mph from bottom of bolton road to shell garage alot come over the canal bridge at 40+ including an idiot on a superbike type thing on friday afternoon pulling a wheelie from the crest of the bridge halfway down to shell garage
i estimate he was doing 50-60mph by the end of his idiotic stuntangry

i would imagine skippy that with all the parked cars on elliot st and as cumbersome as a fire engine is i doubt they go that fast down elliot st anyway

Shazza
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2011 : 20:19:47      reply with quote

posted by skippy
lazy parents should walk to school ,surley no one lives too far from the schools to not walkhappy :)
Exactly! there is one family that comes from Addingham who drops her daughter off at Aire View, she parks down the side of the shop then reverses back onto Aire View and drives her over weight son to Hothfield where she parks on the yellow lines to drop him off and waits and watches him go into school. She then does the same after school. One parent stands in the middle of the road just so she can't stop there. Then she drives off with no seat belt on using her mobile phone. I wouldn't imagine any form of restrictions would stop some people!

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

26/07/2011 : 10:55:07      reply with quote

Not sure how one can exceed 20 mph by Hothfield School. I also reckon that 20 mph is about as fast as one can drive in Silsden normally. Speed limits will not stop the idiots, only guaranteeing being caught does that.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

26/07/2011 : 14:51:29      reply with quote

The rpoblem is the only speed checks we get in Silsden are by PCSO and the voluntery road safety folks, and they are unable to prosecute you, plus on Keighley Road which is where I tend to see them on the rare occasions that they are about they come at times when the traffic is heavy so they have no chance of anyone speeding.

They should try and come on evenings particularly at the weekends when there a lot of speeding drivers and bikers around. Last Friday I heard and saw many bikers well in excess of the speed limit, before the bikers start I love bikes, but roads are for getting around, tracks are for speeding. The same applies to cars, but I hear and see them so much I am getting a little blase about it all, as nothing will ever get done until someone is killed or seriously injured.

Replies in this thread : 9

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Anyone think speed should be 20mph around AireView & Hothfield Schools  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to