Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden from the air 1928

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Silsden from the air 1928

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2012 : 16:16:32      reply with quote

For more images
www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw024358
click for more information

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2012 : 16:50:45      reply with quote

See John L and Aire Valley Insurance were operating then!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2012 : 17:29:35      reply with quote

posted by Spanish Omelette
See John L and Aire Valley Insurance were operating then!!
I don't think so laugh :Dlaugh :D

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2012 : 19:33:34      reply with quote

Fascinating...what sort of aeroplane would have taken these pictures? Anybody know?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2012 : 19:47:29      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

oh no BOB T has popped up again in his pram,left alone poss hoping someone will take pity and take himlaugh :D');, 'laugh :D');looks like he was going bald then'laugh :D');

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2012 : 21:25:10      reply with quote

posted by dexter
Fascinating...what sort of aeroplane would have taken these pictures? Anybody know?

Early days of flight: A DeHavilland DH9B G-EAVK, which captured many of the aerial photograps, at Hendon airfield, north-west London in 1921

The photographs come from the Aerofilms Collection which was acquired for the nation in 2007 when the company faced financial difficulties.

The entire collection is an archive of more than a million British aerial photographs taken between 1919 and 2006, many of them taken by pilots and photographers who were veterans of the First World War.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 16:02:20      reply with quote

great piccies peterhappy :)no smelly old curry houses in them dayslaugh :Dlaugh :Doh and no skips to be seenshocked 8Oshocked 8O

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 17:22:49      reply with quote

Sildsden Dye Works, Silsden, 1928

This picture is interesting, it took me a while to work out where it was. happy :)

hat
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 17:45:06      reply with quote

enlighten us then peter, i was struggling to place this one

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 18:19:55      reply with quote

posted by hat
enlighten us then peter, i was struggling to place this one
Its Riverside Mill.

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 20:18:29      reply with quote

I too was wondering about that one, but its obvious now once you realise where the beck is down the side of the road.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 22:29:42      reply with quote

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

looking at this pic

the houses going on pennine play parks will probably end up like the line from swamp castle on monty python holy grail
King of swamp castle "When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England"

(the area im talking about is the body of water below the canal that is were pennine playparks is now)
i knew it was a mill pond before but didnt realise it was the whole site

as far as im aware planning permission has been denied before as it wasnt filled in properly and cant be built on or so im told

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

26/06/2012 : 22:51:24      reply with quote

posted by Peter

Silsden dye Works, Silsden, 1928

This picture is interesting, it took me a while to work out where it was. happy :)
Top right hand corner is where the new houses are being proposed.The run off rainwater once the area is roofed/tarmac covered will go through the football field or into the beck that doesnt cope with existing rainwater.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 06:49:36      reply with quote

Thankyou Peter for these great old photos, amazing to see how many buildings have not stood the test of time, both residential and industrial. Very interesting, have enjoyed picking out so many places.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 08:11:31      reply with quote

Peter has started a great topic here, and is one of the best in recent times...it shows the value of a local community website.
I think aerial photos are amazing, and for them to be taken in 1928 possibly by ex-RFC pilots adds to the interest.
As an aside, I think the Pennine Playground house development has been approved, but with a lot of conditions....whether the developer will now proceed, who knows? I might hesitate to buy one after seeing the millpond in the photos happy :)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 08:23:28      reply with quote

The Britain from Above Project
Britain from Above is a four year project aimed at conserving 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection, those dating from 1919 to 1953. Once conserved, they are scanned into digital format and made available on this website for the public to see. This project has been made possible due to a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and support from The Foyle Foundation and other donors. The website launched with the first 10,000 images and as we currently have little information about the details in the images, the website provides the opportunity to share and record your memories and knowledge about the places shown in the collection.

The Aerofilms Collection
The Britain from Above website features images from the Aerofilms collection, a unique aerial photographic archive of international importance. The collection includes 1.26 million negatives and more than 2000 photograph albums. Dating from 1919 to 2006, the total collection presents an unparalleled picture of the changing face of Britain in the 20th century. It includes the largest and most significant number of air photographs of Britain taken before 1939. The collection is varied and includes urban, suburban, rural, coastal and industrial scenes, providing important evidence for understanding and managing the built and natural environments. The collection was created by Aerofilms Ltd, a pioneering air survey company set up in 1919 by First World War veterans Francis Lewis Wills and Claude Grahame-White. In addition to Aerofilms’ own imagery, the firm expanded its holdings with the purchase of two smaller collections – AeroPictorial (1934-1960) and Airviews (1947-1991). This very large collection of historical air photographs was bought by Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), English Heritage (EH), and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW) from Blom ASA in 2007.

Use the search box on this page www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ and see what you can find - amazing pictures! happy :)

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 08:51:10      reply with quote

Excellent photos Peter, these i had not seen before, any more of these plane ones?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 09:18:53      reply with quote

There are 8 aerial pictures of Silsden (so far). I will make them into a pdf file so you can download them. If they are in pdf format you will be able to zoom into them and see a bit more detail. The pictures will generate interest and all I ask is you share your knowledge with the rest of Silsden (and the world) by putting questions and answers on here and on the www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ website.

Some of my questions/comments are -

The picture with the dye works (is the dye works) and the factory further up RHS of the picture is The Riverside Mill which some of us know as Belmont Silks (made ties), and was recently torched www.silsden.net/pictures/090820_mill_fire/index.html It is now demolished completely, and has become an occasional car park.

I would like to know the names and locations of all the mills that were once part of Silsden (any pictures would also be good). The aerial pictures are a good start but more detail of the life and times would be excellent. happy :)

Thanks, Peter

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 09:35:13      reply with quote

I have lots of old Silsden Peter and will email them to you when i get home this evening.
I would like any of the football and cricket club if anyone has any, especially aerial ones, it may show the old drains on the pitches.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 10:13:11      reply with quote

posted by Peter

The picture with the dye works (is the dye works) and the factory further up RHS of the picture is The Riverside Mill which some of us know as Belmont Silks (made ties), and was recently torched www.silsden.net/pictures/090820_mill_fire/index.html It is now demolished completely, and has become an occasional car park.

As far as I remember Silsden Dye Works was Riverside Mill.Years ago we carried out maintainence work and it was always "Fletchers Riverside".
Recent owners have marketed the current mill as "Riverside Works"
www.bht.uk.com/properties/Silsden%20-%20Riverside%20Works.pdf

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 10:33:32      reply with quote

So is the mill, that was Belmont Silks "Becks Mill"?
solid wood flooring

hat
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 10:39:23      reply with quote

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

interesting shot here of Weatherhead Place all by itself on Howden Road. Also interesting to see it included what is now one side of Jaques Grove & Longbottom Ave

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 10:40:05      reply with quote

posted by Peter
So is the mill, that was Belmont Silks "Becks Mill"?
I would guess so.There were more houses and shops back then. When my dads family moved here they lived down in the area known as "The Becks". I think that book about watime Silsden might have had a bit about the mills down that end of town.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 11:04:52      reply with quote

This website is a real find. I have loved looking at the pictures, seeing things like my house complete with it's outhouse, which is no longer there (not sure when it was knocked down and our indoor bathroom created). I also like the picture of Weatherhead Place which looks like it is a tiny hamlet in the middle of nowhere.

I have also enjoyed looking at places I have previously lived and can't wait to be able to show my Grandad who is a local history expert for Northern Lincolnshire he will be so pleased to look at them.

Marrywell
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2012 : 11:43:30      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by Peter
lsden dye Works, Silsden, 1928

Top right hand corner is where the new houses are being proposed.The run off rainwater once the area is roofed/tarmac covered will go through the football field or into the beck that doesnt cope with existing rainwater.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2012 : 19:08:35      reply with quote

posted by hat

I was just thinking imagine if something like this happened today. Silsden Urban District Council put out plans to build council houses like these on a green field site. This forum would go into meltdown!!!!

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2012 : 22:21:05      reply with quote

have you noticed something missing or only the odd one on these pictures,yes youve guessed it CARS!!!!!!!!happy :)happy :)happy :)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2012 : 22:37:45      reply with quote

The pictures were taken in 1928. Are you sure you can see any cars?

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 09:51:39      reply with quote

was the picture showing the bank also taken in the 1920's?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 11:00:00      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
was the picture showing the bank also taken in the 1920's?
I think the picture of the Penny Bank was taken in the 1950s, the full picture looks like this

midway
Website Member

Website Member

15/03/2015 : 19:40:52      reply with quote

This post is too good to over look and i make no apologies for resurrecting it

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2015 : 11:29:53      reply with quote

Such great photos, amazing how Silsden has changed over the years, such a big loss of mills and factories, where housing as now taken over. Some of the mills looked to be quite substantial buildings in their day.
Thanks Middy for resurrecting the post, found it interesting.

Otherworld
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2015 : 14:41:41      reply with quote

Amazing pictures: thanks Midway.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2015 : 18:08:43      reply with quote

Nice one midway really enjoyed this one glad you brought it back to life and i am sure so will many other silsden.net users who had not seen ithappy :)happy :)happy :)

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2015 : 18:27:42      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2015 : 18:41:48      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by hat

ote]I was just thinking imagine if something like this happened today. Silsden Urban District Council put out plans to build council houses like these on a green field site. This forum would go into meltdown!!!!
This photo was taken when Howden road was still called coal pit lane

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden from the air 1928  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to