Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Bradford recycled plastic?

Replies in this thread : 12

Author

Topic : Bradford recycled plastic?

Grianan
Website Member

Website Member

24/06/2007 : 12:07:54      reply with quote

Apparently plastic is now labelled with it's "type" to make it easier for us to sort for recycling.
eg.

A list of types of plastic and other information can be found at: www.brookes.ac.uk/eie/qplastic.htm

The government provides grants for running recycling schemes and we have a plastics recycling company in Castleford (LINPAC Plastics Recycling Ltd) so couldn't Bradford Met. set up a department to collect and sort the domestic plastics that currently go to landfill?
click for more information

Grianan
Website Member

Website Member

24/06/2007 : 12:35:47      reply with quote

Essential information for you to print out can be found at: microsol.atspace.com/plastics.htm
happy :)

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2007 : 23:53:28      reply with quote

I can not understand if I can recycle plastic in the bin in the car park then why can't Bradford collect it? I don't need to sort it if I put it in the container in the car park, so what is the problem?

Since I started recycling plactic milk containers and the like, my weekly wheelie bin is nearly empty. This plastic doesn't degrade so it is not good to send it to landfill. I'm sure it can be made into chairs or something useful so why is it so difficult to encourage us to recycle it. We don't need another wheelie to put it in, a black plastic bin bag (or white if they insist) would do the job just fine as this type of waste is not heavy, just bulky.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2007 : 00:44:02      reply with quote

i dont understand why it cant be put in the glass & can bin
or why even though we have one they dont collect it

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

05/07/2007 : 12:18:08      reply with quote

My dad, who lives in Kly, has a small plastic tub kind of thing that sits inside his paper bin and puts glass and tins in it. I would welcome one of these myself, although it's not a big hardship to walk to the recycling area behind the memorial gardens.

I wonder actually how many people know it's even there? I agree entirely with the poster above about plastic tho...our wheelie bin doesn't get nearly as full now we take it to the recycling bank, it just takes a small change in mindset to start doing it really.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

05/07/2007 : 20:31:28      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

you dont want a plastic insert
they never empty hours
weve had it 4 months and its not been emptied once
they came today for the papers but left the glass n cans
weve ordered a glass & can bin and i think ill just empty the glass cans n bottles at the car park till then
the blue ikea bags are excellant for taking a boatload of recycling up there

you can order a glass/can bin the number is on the collection calendar
if you dont have one ill check the number & post it here

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2007 : 07:56:14      reply with quote

I found a few facts and figures about plastic recycling here

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6756559.stm

Grianan
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2007 : 12:35:02      reply with quote

posted by Fred
I can not understand if I can recycle plastic in the bin in the car park
- Is that the car park opposite the Town Hall & near the library in Silsden Fred?

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2007 : 20:37:00      reply with quote

Yes, the plastics recycle container by the library. You can put any sort of plasic in the recycle container in the car park. However, Bradford seem to be unable to collection from households.

Unless you take plastic to the car park the only alternative is to put it in your weekly rubbish which then goes to landfill. This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me because not much of the plasic is biodegradeable. I'm sure if they started household collections of plasic the landfill portion of our weekly rubbish collection would fall dramatically. Perhaps we could have a local communial bin for plastic rather than yet another wheelie bin?

Grianan
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2007 : 14:07:17      reply with quote

I've just come back from holiday in France (Chamonix) and they have recycling 'bins' located in each small area rather than individual wheelie bins.
- much more convenient than one bin for the whole of Silsden (and beyond!)

These 'bins' are much larger than they appear since they are dug into the ground, about 3m diameter by 4m deep(?).
- I guess the container is lifted out and emptied by a special truck although I didn't witness this.

They are also contained within a wooden surround so that they are not an eyesore.
(I wish I'd taken a photo of them now!) wink ;)

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2007 : 08:46:34      reply with quote

Perhaps we could have a local communial bin for plastic rather than yet another wheelie bin?
I take my plastic up to the car park too.

I am not sure I have enough room for another wheelie bin, I already have 3 of the things which look a bit of an eyesore at the front of the hous, but I don't have a rear yard to put them in.

The main problem I have is with the recycling bins never being collected.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2007 : 10:41:22      reply with quote

yes they can be a problem with not collecting
but at least we have the glass n can bin now not the incert that filled too quickley

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2007 : 13:26:56      reply with quote

Ever wondered what BradMet do with all the recycled items?

In 2004/2005 265 tonnes of Plastic Bottles were sent from BDM to Liverpool where they were Washed, flaked and exported to China.

And as for the rest of the items I extracted the following page with the details:
silsden.net/news/2007/Bradford-recycling-2004.pdf

Details were found in Waste Management Stategy (2005 document)
www.bradford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/3EDC9879-8655-4A47-AFC0-A528D129DF59/0/WasteStrategyApproved.pdf

Replies in this thread : 12

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Bradford recycled plastic?  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to