Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > First Event By New Local History Group

Replies in this thread : 18

Author

Topic : First Event By New Local History Group

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2012 : 20:12:45      reply with quote

A Silsden local history group is now up and running and is holding a coffee morning and photographic exhibition at Silsden Town Hall Saturday July14th, 9.30 to 11.30am.
There will be lots of fantastic photographs on display of our 'main street' (Kirkgate and Briggate) through the years,a chance to see some of the shops and shopkeepers who were once familiar faces! The camera club will also be featuring their 'Silsden Past and Present' display.
There will be a picture quiz called "Where is this in Silsden?" (1 entry fee with a prize for the winner with the most correct answers) There will be a cake stall and also a raffle.
Admission to the event is 1 for adults including refreshments, children free.
Further details about the group and it's activities will be posted here and in the local press.
click for more information

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 08:53:47      reply with quote

It will be good to see again some of the shops that have been here over the years.
My own favourite as a child was Mr Sanderson's sweet shop in Kirkgate(where there's now a dog-washing place)! Who else remembers it? Anyone got a photo?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 11:54:56      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Just the sort of thing Im interested in but I am away that day!!!.

I found some old Parish magazines the other day. Its interesting looking at someof the old adverts.
Maurice Lee, High Class Groceries
G E Hanson, Electrical and TV Engineers.
J&D Myers.For high clas fruit,fish,vegetables and flowers
J&E Brunton. High Class Groceries and provisions.
LOts more.I could scan them and e-mail them to Peter.

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 19:21:10      reply with quote

Sorry to hear you will be away for the photo event Gazzer, I'm sure this exhibition will be the first of many, we have lots of ideas for further events. We would love to see the old parish things, perhaps Peter may forward the scanned images to me or maybe give you my email address to send them directly. Many thanks for your interest.

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 19:27:52      reply with quote

Greenlanes, I remember well Sanderson's sweet shop, in fact my favorite chocolate was 'three boys' now I'm reminiscing! I feel sure there is a photo of those premises in the display, but it may have been in a different era.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2012 : 20:37:57      reply with quote

I have some sweet bags

"STOP WHEEZING!
Take OWD TOM'S COUGH TABLETS

4oz 6d
SOLD AT ALL SWEET SHOPS
Manufactured by Frank Pollard & Sons Ltd, Silsden

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

30/06/2012 : 05:16:35      reply with quote

Cobbydaler born and bred. I also remember Sandersons sweet shop. But don't you mean
Frys five boys chocolate not three boys.
We used to call Mr Sanderson. Hans Christian Sanderson.GEDDIT!!! But not to his face.i used to
Buy Cadburys Caramello chocolate bar and Bounty bars there.after getting paid from my paper
Round at The newsagents at the top of the Main St.Was it Dewhirsts? The choc.bars cost 6d each.

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

30/06/2012 : 13:20:56      reply with quote

Not around at the time, gazzer, but I'm pretty sure from what I've read that Pollards had a sweet manufacturing factory and warehouse in Wesley Place (where the car park is now). They employed men to go all over Yorkshire as salesmen: their best seller was a black sweet (know in Silsden as the bullet)
Lenny, your newsagent would probably be Arthur Watson (he kept the name Dewhirst after taking over)There's been a newsagency there for well over one hundred years; likewise twiggs newsagents further down Kirkgate.

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

30/06/2012 : 15:16:53      reply with quote

I know Pumbajunior's Great, Great Aunt ran a sweet/confectionary store which we beleive from family stories was somewhere on the same block as Bonaprtes (or whatever it's called these days). I know his Nana said she used to go and visit in the 1930's, unfortunately this is the only information we know of.

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

30/06/2012 : 19:04:50      reply with quote

Lenny, you are absolutely right, it was Fry's five boys, very remiss of me!

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2012 : 11:31:09      reply with quote

Excellent event, nostalgic, interesting, informative and very well presented. (Good cakes too!) Congrats and thanks to all concerned.

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2012 : 14:15:04      reply with quote

What a success! Absolutely heaving all morning! Great enjoyment by young and old. An event that really drew the community together.

photoman
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2012 : 14:26:24      reply with quote

I know it's early days but do you plan to have another one perhaps in 6 months
or 12 months time as I couldn't make it this time.

I would like to suggest that next time it goes on a bit longer say until 1pm.

ted
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2012 : 17:21:43      reply with quote

Great event. well done to all concerned

nabend
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2012 : 19:33:27      reply with quote

I'd like to see the answers to the fiendishly difficult picture quiz - we only knew about 16 of them! Well done to all concerned.

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 09:26:30      reply with quote

We have been asked to provide the answers to the picture quiz 'Where is this in Silsden?' which was one of the highlights at Saturday's highly successful event in the Town Hall and which generated a huge interest in the town's history. John Pickles won the quiz answering 19 out of the 25 questions correctly, the prize was a watercolour painting of old Silsden High Street which was painted and kindly donated by local artist Frank Airey. We would like to thank all who attended the event.

The answers to the quiz are as follows; 1) Silsden Town Hall. 2) Date -Stone above cottage in St John's Street. 3) Ornamental gates at Rough Holden. 4) Old 'clog iron' factory in Sykes Lane. 5) Spire on Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (formerly Wesleyan). 6) Former Co-Op, now carpet salesroom, on Clog Bridge/St John's Street .7) Old Barn, rear of St John's Street, where John Flesher preached first sermons. 8) Old doorway Stirling Street. 9) Carved head, St James's Church. 10) Barn, Bradley Road. 11) Date-Stone above cottage in Kirkgate (adjoining Fish & Chip shop). 12) Bradford Waterworks stone in Swartha Wood. 13) Cottage, Greengate. 14) Peaceful corner, with seat, in Gasworks Lane. 15) Unique chimney on canal towpath (old stable near to Bridge Pub) 16) Rear of Taylor's Mill, (now Snugpak). 17) Earl of Thanet Lodge sign in Kirkgate (above Post Office). 18) Stone steps to canal (side of culvert) 19) Clock at Silsden Golf Club. 20) Old door and window (next to Library) once part of Bolton Road School. 21) Iron gates at junction of Swartha Lane and Hawber Lane, which once led to Moorfield House. 22) Clapper bridge, Bradley Road. 23) Barn, Brunthwaite. 24) Old stable and adjoining barn in Highfield Lane. 25) Dome on top of Conservative Club.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 13:09:45      reply with quote

hope theres another one soon as could`nt make last one ,shame it was on for only 2 hours thoughsad :(

tushy2
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 21:06:30      reply with quote

I also hope there is another one and that is not on a Saturday, or if it is it runs all day. Some people work Saturday, how about one evening?

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2012 : 08:40:55      reply with quote

We have lot's of ideas for future events, some of which will definitely be held on evenings. Watch this space!

Replies in this thread : 18

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > First Event By New Local History Group  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to