Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Old Oak Replacement

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Old Oak Replacement

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 10:01:55      reply with quote

The assassins job has been verified as complete, the Oak is dead.

The news is that it will be removed and replaced by another Oak.
What are your views on having a quicker growing blossom tree in its place so our generation can see its beauty and we can maybe call it the Jubilee tree?

Can anyone remember in the 50`s when Silsden Urban District Council planted 00`s of blossom trees with green guards around them, particularly on the council estates?

The ones on Woodside Road and Kent Ave have been spectacular again this year. It could have been for the Coronation, but I remember it well and would only have been 2 and a bit.
click for more information

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 11:39:45      reply with quote

What a lovely idea having a blossom tree. It won't grow as big as the oak either, and as you say, we will be able to see it during our life times.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 12:33:15      reply with quote

One advantage of a Blossom tree will be all the blossom will drop and hopefully fill the gutters and drains of whoever murdered the oak, just revenge!

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 13:11:28      reply with quote

Cherry blossom trees are truly lovely in the spring -and I'm a big fan too. But they are an introduced species of tree, not a native broadleaf tree like the oak. For ecological balance, an oak needs replacing by oak. Yes, a native broadleaf does take longer to grow but, over the years, it will provide real cover and sustenance for birdlife and will become a magnificent replacement for the wonderful tree we have lost, and which we all feel so sad about.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 13:42:15      reply with quote

The chief from Bradmet said, " It has to be an Oak, we can not protect a Blossom tree as they are not native" My reply, "well you did not do a very good job on the last one".
Regarding balance, just for a change, lets leave the wildlife to look after themselves and concentrate on the humans.....Lets have a Cherry Blossom and all enjoy its splendour for years to come.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 14:04:49      reply with quote

or a magnolia, fantastic flowering tree but slow growing.happy :)

nabend
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 18:17:39      reply with quote

It would be nice if the timber from the oak could be used to make some benches or something.

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 18:31:58      reply with quote

anybody know who poisoned the oak tree at all?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 18:44:20      reply with quote

posted by Listener
T

Can anyone remember in the 50`s when Silsden Urban District Council planted 00`s of blossom trees with green guards around them, particularly on the council estates?

The ones on Woodside Road and Kent Ave have been spectacular again this year. It could have been for the Coronation, but I remember it well and would only have been 2 and a bit.

I thought the definition of an "avenue" is of a tree lined road so always thought the trees were planned to go with the names Cornwall,Gloucester and Kent Avenue. Not sure how Woodside Road fits n though.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 19:05:56      reply with quote

posted by roosterman
anybody know who poisoned the oak tree at all?
Please do not answer this question here (I will delete it). If you do know please inform the police. Thank you, Peter

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2012 : 20:53:11      reply with quote

soz 4 that peter,but hope it does get reported

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 06:48:58      reply with quote

The "Listener" asks for views on what should replace the old oak; then later and rather surprisingly makes it clear that his mind is already firmly made up. No alternative views required in this discussion! Fair enough, that's his right!
But a couple of his points should be addressed. He accuses Council officers of failing to protect the tree: does he really expect that they can surround every protected tree 24/7 just in case some thug comes along in the middle of the night to inject them with poison? I think Listener might object to the raising of his council tax if this were the case!

The Listener also talks of wildlife taking care of itself. Hasn't he read about the alarming fall in bird numbers and other species because of disappearing habitat? There are plenty of humans who would find it a much greyer and less pleasant world without the song of the blackbird, the thrush, the robin in their locality.

Perhaps a cherry blossom sapling for his own garden and a bumper book on nature might feature on the Listener's Christmas list this year!

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 13:45:34      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

A neighbour mentioned a blossom tree, I am but the messenger.

Please do not miss my point, I would love to see a mature tree in 5 to 10 years whilst hopeful I am still here, as would many more, my reference to the birds was in answer to your point about cover, I have seen blossom trees amass with leaves and love the dawn chorus we get with living in the position we live.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 15:52:25      reply with quote

nabend malc heath has already offered to make a bench from the oak trunk if and when its cut down, he would like to do this as the oak wouldnt of died in vain. good on yer malchappy :)happy :)

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 17:56:04      reply with quote

A quote from an email from the Arboricultural Officer looks to have solved the problem,

"If you want something that grows fast there are a number of species that would fit the bill - Leylandii, Poplar, Willow etc. Bear in mind that cherry typically get to around 8m (depending on the cultivar) and may not block out light.

Although cherries in full bloom are pretty, generally the blooms last for a few weeks of the year the rest of the year they can be nondescript and unless planted in groups they do not tend to be significant specimens, are relatively short lived and can have vigorous rooting systems that damage pavements etc.

Many cherry species are also not wildlife havens unlike large scale British natives like oak, beech, ask or lime (any of which would be acceptable species)".

Good discussion though, shows we all care, thanks all.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 18:13:51      reply with quote

Oops

shropshirelad
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 18:47:58      reply with quote

Who will be responsible for the wood when it eventually and sadly cut down? As a local artist I would love a little share to create something that I will gladly donate to the town, if I can get some I would happily be open to suggestion on what to do with it, just another idea.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 19:18:30      reply with quote

Skippy, I hope you have got the wood from the tree booked. Bradford are likely to hire a contractor and they will just turn up out of the blue, and the wood will go with them in small chunks.

Keep the good uses coming in.... dead but will not have died in vain..... happy :)happy :)happy :)

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 20:54:55      reply with quote

BOOKED, we shall be there when anybody cuts the old lady down complete with hiabwink ;)the tree STAYS in silsdenwink ;)wink ;)

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2012 : 21:50:34      reply with quote

o/t but back to Gloucester Ave trees...I think some were damson trees

shropshirelad
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2012 : 17:43:40      reply with quote

Skippy, could I please ask you to save me some of the tree?
solid wood flooring

cobbydalerborn&bred
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2012 : 22:25:20      reply with quote

Perhaps a Copper Beech would be nice, the colours are lovely in the spring and autumn?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2012 : 22:47:48      reply with quote

I think that whatever is made from the tree should be placed nearby, so that the people there have fond memories of the tree, and to remind the b***ard who poisoned it that he did it, and to prick his conscience every time he sees itangry

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

19/07/2012 : 19:09:58      reply with quote

News from Bradmet -
I can not tell you when the tree will be removed but it is now programmed in.

The chippable wood will be removed and the lengths of timber will be left on site and it will be up to whoever wants it to deal with the timber.

It will need a wagon, probably craned/hi-abbed etc to shift it, looks like you got yourself a job Skippy.

countryman
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2012 : 01:32:01      reply with quote

We need a proper replacement and maybe CCTV to catch the culprits next time.
Skippy let's makesure the tree is used for some new benches etc in Silsden.
How about a Diamond Jubilee Oak Tree to replace it?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2012 : 02:45:16      reply with quote

certainly a bench what about a set of stocks for the new council land next to the twisters,then we could put offenders and unruly cllrs in them?laugh :Dlaugh :D

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2012 : 10:50:15      reply with quote

cobbydalerborn&bred - Perhaps a Copper Beech would be nice.

The officer in Bradford said that copper beech would be fine.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2012 : 21:36:16      reply with quote

I think using the wood for benches and a work of art is a wonderfull idea.
When the new tree is planted how about surrounding it with an electric fence?

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2012 : 08:19:44      reply with quote

8.15 Tuesday 24th August the tree fellers and cutting down the oak tree if someone want to make sure the large pieces of wood are left, now is the time, i`m at work in Keighley.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2012 : 12:05:14      reply with quote

posted by Listener
8.15 Tuesday 24th August the tree fellers and cutting down the oak tree if someone want to make sure the large pieces of wood are left, now is the time, i`m at work in Keighley.
JULY as in today

poononga1
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2012 : 13:02:13      reply with quote

CCTV watching oak trees? Silsden is going all pc and southern! wink ;)

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2012 : 20:33:45      reply with quote

aye its down were are the bits i thought they were supposed to be left in silsden?

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2012 : 07:45:04      reply with quote

kly tree services have taken the tree back to their works to give us time to sort out the officers in bfd who have failed in their duty to keep us informed as to when the tree was to be cut down,i spent at least 1.5 hrs on the phone yesterday trying to track down the officer responsible,who by the way still has not rung me backangry2pm yesterday he was supposed to ringangrycllr naaylor should be available to kick up a fuss todaywink ;)rest assured we will have the oak bench yetwink ;)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2012 : 10:39:54      reply with quote

THE OAK TREE BEFORE IT WAS POISONED
goo.gl/maps/59vVJ

24 JULY 2012, THE TREE FAILED TO SURVIVE

Pictures by Barry Thomas

shropshirelad
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2012 : 20:21:51      reply with quote

I have contacted Keighley tree services to see if I can acquire some of the tree for an art piece. In another thread someone has suggested that the piece could incorporate an acorn, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

26/07/2012 : 09:22:26      reply with quote

Maybe get a large pair of clogs made - would be a link to Silsdens past??

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Old Oak Replacement  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to