Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Eliot Streat Right Turn

Replies in this thread : 20

Author

Topic : Eliot Streat Right Turn

coby1
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2007 : 19:29:14      reply with quote

What is the general oppinion on banning right turns out of Eliot Streat (exept for fire engins ect).Twice this week I have seen near misses as cars come over the bridge too fast and others take the risk to right turn from Eliot Streat to go over the bridge.
click for more information

claymoreking
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2007 : 20:04:12      reply with quote

Wouldn't this just increase congestion in the town centre, with extra traffic trying to get out of Aire View?

coby1
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2007 : 21:15:36      reply with quote

Make Aire View one way up like shed side and put lights or rounabout by tht King

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2007 : 23:23:34      reply with quote

i dont live on elliot street but if i did id cut through to bell square and come out there if going to the bypass much quicker n safer

robin
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2007 : 09:28:29      reply with quote

I'm note sure prohibiting a right turn is practical, but I wish people making the right would remember that trafic turning left from Clog Bridge have joined the main road and therefore have right of way.

coby1
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2007 : 18:01:04      reply with quote

I wonder if anyone from the council has any thoughts on this subject or if the trafic police wouled welcome the idea

jojo
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2007 : 18:31:09      reply with quote

The roads are not in the council remit sad :(

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2007 : 20:51:54      reply with quote

If the drivers, coming over the bridge bothered to observe rule 105 in the highway code there wouldn't be a problem turning right out of Elliott st or anywhere else for that matter.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2007 : 23:11:15      reply with quote

i make a point when going right at clog bridge of indicating before the top of the bridge
as some come so fast over there that might not be able to stop if i get held up at the junction

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2007 : 16:15:23      reply with quote

posted by coby1
What is the general oppinion on banning right turns out of Eliot Streat (exept for fire engins ect).Twice this week I have seen near misses as cars come over the bridge too fast and others take the risk to right turn from Eliot Streat to go over the bridge.
Not sure I understand why you had a near miss, unless you are the car pulling out of elliot street or the car speeding into silsden over the bridge.....

If you nearly hit a car speeding out of elliot street then it has no bearing on traffic coming over the bridge. Unless it's clear they should not pull out. Simple as that

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2007 : 16:47:53      reply with quote

I see Bradmet have run out of white paint again!

The SLOW sign coming up to the bridge has worn off the road. Perhaps we have to wait until the road is resurfaced before it gets re-painted.

There was a report on Monday; White lines are more effective at reducing road accidents than speed cameras, according to research.

Using a pot of paint to improve road markings could save up to eight times as many lives as a speed trap, claim experts.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=CGVRJ3D11XJLFQFIQMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/07/02/nlines102.xml

alan
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2007 : 22:19:39      reply with quote

Correct "grandad" if the motorists, who seem to want to get through Silsden as fast as they can, observed the Highway Code and added a little consideration for others there'd be little problem with any of the junctions in Silsden.

But I think there is now a serious case for extensive 20mph zones in Silsden as there are in Steeton and Addingham. Elliott Street and the canal bridge would be high on my list as well as the various estates/built up areas where children play etc.

Lord Sprochet
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2007 : 22:25:21      reply with quote

What about the crossing near Howden road?

Someone was nearly hit because a driver was to bothered about stopping me from turning right into howden road than the guy crossing the zebra crossing.

It isn't just speed some drivers seem to be in a world of their own!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/07/2007 : 20:14:27      reply with quote

Have you seen how many crashes there are with cars exiting Bell Sq.Its caused by optical illusion.This occurs when 2 or more cars are waiting to turn right out of Bell Sq.As the first car pulls out the second car moves forward and the driver looks right then left.As the driver looks right his eyesight is drawn towards the church and any car by the off shop is missed(in some cases).Thats why all the crashes are cars going uphill.
So we dont want more cars comig out there.

yorky66
Website Member

Website Member

06/03/2008 : 20:22:15      reply with quote

I've always felt safer turning out of Bell Square rather than Elliot Street in the daytime, I accept the optical illusion effect at Bell Square but once you know of this it is less dangerous than cars speeding over the bridge to Elliot Steet which cannot be guaged. However in the dark this all changes as Bai Tongs floodlight proves to be a blinding danger especially in poor or rainy weather.

wahiba
Website Member

Website Member

07/03/2008 : 10:45:45      reply with quote

Turning right out of Bell Square a while back I nearly got wacked by a speeding car I had missed. It was only because looked quickly right again that I spotted it at the last second.

As for the Howden Road and Elliot Street staggered junction. Lights are probably the answer, and with the extra houses off Howden road the traffic s going to get heavier.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

07/03/2008 : 20:32:36      reply with quote

I nearly hit some old guy coming out of bell square towards kirkgate a few weeks back on a sunday morning (he was in a car not on foot)
i was doing about 25mph in miss fraggles car (bright red cant miss it)

i was going out of the village up bolton road
he pulled out at the last minute he realised i had to slam all on to miss him
luckily i was going slow (i dont speed anyway) otherwise there would have been a very secondhand red C1

cobbydalejon
Website Member

Website Member

29/01/2009 : 23:02:09      reply with quote

I've had more than my fair share of scared at the junction trying to turn right off Elliott Street and onto Keighley Road. I've often wondered if a mini roundabout of sorts could be put in to serve Elliott Street, Keighley Road, Kirkgate and Howden Road. Might need to do a bit of alterations to the paths for it to be practical but it's a thought.

I hate to think what the traffic will be like on Keighley Road when the Sykes Lane development happens, if it actually now happens.

Tiger
Website Member

Website Member

30/01/2009 : 09:13:23      reply with quote

I agree with Alan that there is now an excellent case for 20mph speed limits on Elliott Street and other roads in Silsden. I live on Elliott Street and a few years ago we had a public meeting at Aire View school to discuss proposed traffic calming measures. Myself and many of the residents asked for 20mph but the officials did their best to put this idea down. The result was a traffic island!! However seeing this limit in Addingham, East Morton and other villages I think that Elliott Street having an infant school, medical centre and sheltered housing more than qualifies for the speed limit. The official objection was "How will the speed limit be policed" Well how about policing it the same way 20mph is policed in other villages. Their speed limits seem to work!!

alan
Website Member

Website Member

30/01/2009 : 09:57:05      reply with quote

Despite the fact that two of our District Councillors have extensive 20mph signs and limits in the two villages they live in they have always resisted calls for these measures in Silsden.

WHY?

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

30/01/2009 : 10:24:36      reply with quote

i think the one in morton going halfway up alma is ridiculous
fine from say the golf course to the pond in the dip before alma

i would tend to agree near schools for 20mph but most other roads id say no
when i was a kid in the 70's/80's we knew not to run out into roads
its seems now the cars are to blame and kids should be allowed to play in the main road without getting hurt

i do agree though that a small percentage use back streets as a race track

what ever happened to the tuffty club n green cross code man?sad :(
solid wood flooring

Replies in this thread : 20

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Eliot Streat Right Turn  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to