Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > PUBLIC MEETING re POLICE COMMISSIONER ELECTION 29/10

Replies in this thread : 16

Author

Topic : PUBLIC MEETING re POLICE COMMISSIONER ELECTION 29/10

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2012 : 16:59:51      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

REMINDER- POLICE COMMISSIONER PUBLIC MEETING MONDAY OCT.29th 7.00pm

Mark Burns-Williamson will speak and answer questions at a meeting open to all concerned members of the public at 7.00 pm at the Keighley Community Centre (old Police Station). Mark is the Labour candidate but local policing issues are not party political ones. This may be your only chance to learn more at first hand about this important but unpopular election and to make your feelings about the future of policing in West Yorkshire heard. Everyone is welcome.
click for more information

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2012 : 19:51:57      reply with quote

If he is standing under the Labour banner it is political. No reason why there can not be more than one independent.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

31/10/2012 : 10:06:01      reply with quote

did anyone go to this meeting? I have just read a letter in the T&A in which someone said they had recieved a letter from Ivette Cooper asking him to vote labour in the police commisioner election and also enclosed a leaflet for him to fill in to get a postal vote to ensure he would participate in the election.The person involved wrote back to her to complain about her attempt to influence his vote.He then looked at the statement from mark burns-williamson which apparantly ends with the words "vote labour on november 15th" the man quite rightly says that he was unaware that the vote was for a political party the role is supposed to be non political!! The whole thing is a joke and a waste of money, maybe everyone should protest by not voting.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

31/10/2012 : 13:21:52      reply with quote

I can't understand why this has been hijacked by the politicians....police should be independent, or am I wrong?
The image of politicians is at an all time low, so I expect voting will be low anyway, just like local elections.
It may save money, with 1 commissioner instead of 20 or more local politicians overseeing the local police, let's wait and see.

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

31/10/2012 : 13:26:42      reply with quote

Elected Police and Crime Commissioners have been introduced by the Coalition Govt. A development designed on the back of an envelope and opposed by the Labour Party in parliament at the time.

Unlike the elected Mayor idea which was thrown out by the electorate we have no choice here. A PCC will be elected for West Yorkshire on November 15th however low the turn out. So please think carefully before you decide not to vote or to vote on strict party political lines. Look carefully for the candidate who will best safeguard neighbourhood policing across the area and who has the experience and know how to do this huge job.

People did go to the public meeting! They came from Ilkley, Steeton, Utley, Riddlesdon and Haworth and many parts of central Keighley. The party political issue was raised of course. Once the PCC is elected s/he will take an oath similar to MPs and Councillors to serve their electorate impartially, regardless of party loyalties.

In the meantime the current government has made it a party issue so that's how the election must be fought. Anyone who had that letter from Yvette Cooper had previously identified themselves as a Labour voter and was picked up by the Regional Office records. Of course computers do make mistakes and people sometimes say they are going to vote one way and then don't. That is their right!

It's a pity you didn't come and see Mark Burns Williamson. You'd like him!

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

31/10/2012 : 14:13:44      reply with quote

sorry but I don't think I would like hime having seen him on tv a couple of times!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

31/10/2012 : 14:51:35      reply with quote

Had a look on the net about these candidates and didnt find a lot about any of them. This came up a few times about the labour man
www.scribd.com/doc/108606363/West-Yorkshire-Police-Authority-in-sustained-corruption-cover-up

3 of the candidates I think have been on the police authority

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2012 : 10:00:08      reply with quote

There is one independent guy, an ex copper who somebody is already trying to tie in with corruption. As he left the police with a clean record it suggests a dirty trick campaign. Anyhow, I am going to vote for him as none of the three politicos look worth the trouble. Not sure if the whole exercise is worth it, but at least there will be someone to complain too when five hour road closures occur for no good reason.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2012 : 10:49:10      reply with quote

is "paperclip" the labour candidates agent?

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2012 : 16:23:02      reply with quote

No ginjo, I'm not Mark Burns Williamson's agent. I am a Labour voter (bet you guessed that ages ago) but in this case I've asked myself very severely "would I still vote for Mark if he was from another party?". The answer (which I believe is an honest one)is; yes I would because;

The job needs someone who can manage an annual budget of 45 million pounds, appoint and hold a Chief Constable to account for the provision of police services in the 4th largest police authority in the country, work with national and local government and many other agencies and collaborate with other PCCs of whatever political origin to develop a nationwide policing power base which cost-cutting ministers(from whatever political party) cannot ignore.

I also looked carefully at the other 3 candidates CV's and election statements and read what the Independent has added concerning his experiences as a serving police officer.Then I imagined each in the role I've outlined above ignoring any party political elements. And I didn't change my mind.

I don't expect you or old miner will either. But that's democracy!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/11/2012 : 19:22:49      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I see the former Chairman of the Police Authority has been replaced by a commisioner who is the former Chairman of the Police Authority. No change there then.
I was expecting spoilt ballott papers to top the poll.
What a waste of time and money.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

16/11/2012 : 19:31:12      reply with quote

What a complete waste of public money - 100 million pounds on something no-one but Shamrons party wants.....

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2012 : 08:17:34      reply with quote

At least there is an individual we can complain to now about police inefficiencies - ie 5 hour road closures - who is not 'one of the boys'.
We hope.
We shall see.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2012 : 09:18:26      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by gazzer
I see the former Chairman of the Police Authority has been replaced by a commisioner who is the former Chairman of the Police Authority. No change there then.
I was expecting spoilt ballott papers to top the poll.
What a waste of time and money.

Found the difference. When Mark Burns-Williamson was Chairman of the Police Authority he earned 30,000 a year now as Commisioner he will earn 100,000 a year doing the same job!!

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2012 : 10:42:46      reply with quote

It would be interesting to find how much of the populace actually voted. I went down at nine, to find eight officials and.myself in the Methodist Church.

I know of people that went to vote, to be told that only a handful of people had been in all day!
I firmly believe that this has been a exercise in futility.

The only person I received postal information on, was the labour candidate. I gained an insight into the others via news reports on the BBC.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that this has been a one horse race.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2012 : 13:58:52      reply with quote

turn out for west yorkshire was about 13% complete waste of 1 million pounds

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2012 : 20:48:56      reply with quote

Has not taken him long to want to put up Council Tax

"The new police commissioner for West Yorkshire has hit out at the Government for imposing limits on how much he can increase council tax."

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/new-police-commissioner-for-west-yorkshire-bids-to-charge-more-1-5233887

Replies in this thread : 16

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > PUBLIC MEETING re POLICE COMMISSIONER ELECTION 29/10  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to