Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Tour De France 2014

Replies in this thread : 15

Author

Topic : Tour De France 2014

Retired63
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 10:57:52      reply with quote

According to the radio Silsden is part of Stage 2 in the Tour de France next year !!
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 11:20:26      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

The 2014 Tour de France start in Yorkshire will be tougher than usual with a straightforward first stage from Leeds to Harrogate on the opening Saturday followed by a stage from York to Sheffield which the organiser, Christian Prudhomme, compared to the Liege-Bastogne-Liege one day Classic – one of the toughest single-day events on the calendar.

Stage three takes the peloton from Cambridge to central London via Epping Forest and the Olympic Park.

As predicted, there will be no prologue time trial in the 2014 route, with a road-race stage instead, which finishes, by happy coincidence, in the city where Mark Cavendish's mother resides. After passing through the Yorkshire Dales national park, through Kettlewell, Aysgarth, Hawes and Reeth, the first stage will have a relatively flat run-in to the finish through Ripon.

Stage two has a far tougher finale, with six climbs that pepper the final 60km run-in to Sheffield. The race passes through Keighley, Haworth, Hebden Bridge, Elland and Huddersfield before Holmfirth. Further details are set to be announced on Thursday afternoon, but that points to the inclusion of the iconic climb of Holme Moss, a fixture in the Leeds Classic World Cup race in the 1990s.

The riders then transfer to Cambridge for the start of stage three, passing through Epping Forest and the Olympic Park before a finish in central London which is understood to be on the Mall, replicating that of the Olympic road race last August.

This will be the fourth time the Tour has visited Great Britain, with the hugely successful London start in 2007 preceded by Le Tour en Angleterre in 1994, when the race ran stages from Dover to Brighton and around Portsmouth. The Tour's first trip over the Channel was in 1974 for a circuit race in Plymouth.

Route of the opening three stages of the 2014 Tour de France

Stage one - Saturday, 5 July
Leeds - Harewood - Otley - Ilkley - Skipton - Kettlewell - Aysgarth - Hawes - Reeth - Leyburn - Ripon - Harrogate

Stage two - Sunday, 6 July
York - Knaresborough - Silsden - Keighley - Haworth - Hebden Bridge - Elland - Huddersfield - Holmfirth - Sheffield

Stage three - Monday, 7 July
Cambridge - Epping Forest - the Olympic Park - the Mall

Ref www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/17/tour-de-france-2014-olympic-park

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 13:50:19      reply with quote

Passing close on day 1 and through Silsden day 2 it is going to be an interesting weekend.

I am not an anorak on the tour but I think it is rare for routes to cross. From looking at the map the roundabout on the Addingham by-pass will see the tour pass twice, or Addingham has the honour of the tour passing through two days on the trot.

greengrass
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 14:58:47      reply with quote

Bog runner are you in itlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D go on lad get in

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 15:58:00      reply with quote

get the old tandem out claude wink ;)we shall need itlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 16:17:05      reply with quote

the dates are a day out i get sat/sun/monday as 6th 7th & 8th of july?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 16:22:47      reply with quote

money to be made skippy whats it to be bike hire,roast chestnuts, onionstrings or fresh frogs legs and snails,laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dwink ;) how about a stand out of scaffolding in the car park by memorial

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 16:32:05      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
Not if you look at 2014 wink ;)

bogrunner
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 16:36:02      reply with quote

Think they might be a bit quick for me Greengrass happy :)

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 17:30:42      reply with quote

posted by Dave
posted by dogcatcher
Not if you look at 2014 wink ;)
DOH ive dropped another onesad :(

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 18:16:00      reply with quote

Back in the cage lads, this is not a discussion area laugh :D

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 18:45:37      reply with quote

I remember standing outside "Carrs" opposite the cake shop and watching what i think was either the Kellogs or Milk race, no idea of the year but i could not believe the speed they passed.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2013 : 22:20:58      reply with quote

Speed! Yes I remember watching a bike race on the TV some years ago, it was somewhere in England and they interviewed one of the motorcyclists that were filming the race, he said, “Them lads are mad we came down the mountain at speeds of 90MPH, we were wearing leathers they only had shorts on!”

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2013 : 09:47:37      reply with quote

90mph is agood boast. 50 is the usual top end on Tour de France. Bikers though are just as likely to be in shorts as well. In summer French police motorcyclists have standard wool trousers and a shirt with rolled up sleeves.

In the UK elf and safety means police bikers have to wear leathers in all weather, so in hot weather they do not ride because of the risk of heat stroke.

So if July 2014 is nice a hot Yorkshire police motorcyclists will have dilemma. Ride out in full gear and risk falling off through heat stroke, or copy the French, stay cool and alert and do not fall off.

Remember, armour does not reduce risk but it has an effect on the consequences (and not always a positive consequence either)

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2013 : 10:51:49      reply with quote

pete i know this was put on announcements but a good topic for discussion can it be moved to one of the other treadshappy :)

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2013 : 11:24:27      reply with quote

Not that it is often a problem in Yorkshire, but I can assure you the West Yorkshire Motorcycle police officers do ride in the hot weather!
The chairman of my IAM club was a Police motor cycle rider I asked him once how he coped with the heat, his reply was that they have to; they wouldn't think of riding without the full protection gear.

Replies in this thread : 15

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Tour De France 2014  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to