Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Accident in Coop Car Park

Replies in this thread : 22

Author

Topic : Accident in Coop Car Park

Snowdrop
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2013 : 19:39:58      reply with quote

Anyone know anything about a new car crashing through wall in car park. Hope there were no injuries ?
click for more information

Ockin Peron
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2013 : 21:37:48      reply with quote

Yes, it was quite a sight. Perhaps the driver was relying on parking sensors when there weren't any fitted.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/02/2013 : 12:06:20      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

parked by the door and only put handbrake on,the brakes shoes or pads poss cooled down and released there hold and it rolled back down in to the fence at the beckside,the moral is always leave a car in gear as well as the handbrake on makes sense and its part of the driving test to do both when parking upsad :(sad :(

skinny bint
Website Member

Website Member

19/02/2013 : 17:47:34      reply with quote

I wasnt taught that.

BMWR1100SS
Website Member

Website Member

19/02/2013 : 18:04:52      reply with quote

or just make sure your car is properly maintained so that your handbrake works..

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/02/2013 : 18:47:25      reply with quote

car was virtually new in this case im told.

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

19/02/2013 : 22:28:29      reply with quote

Not a requirement of the driving test to leave your car in gear when you park it up.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 04:56:49      reply with quote

It is common sense! The average car weighs around one ton. To hold one ton by little more than a piece of wire cable is unthinkable!

If the car in the co-op car park had run into someone, there would have been serious repercussions. It is a no brainer!

Carrie
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 09:32:12      reply with quote

Hi

Another vote for leaving car in gear as well as with handbrake on. My car was hit on a car park by a large van - handbrake had apparently failed & it ran away. Five cars were damaged, one extensively - the van driver's insurance must have taken a big hit.

The one positive thing was that no people were hurt which was a minor miracle particularly as it was schools out time & there were lots of people - adults & children - around. A very near miss but maybe totally avoidable by leaving vehicle in gear.

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 10:09:27      reply with quote

I'll do agree with people saying it is an extra safeguard that people could easily take, however, if your car has been MOTd properly any potential brake problems should be highlighted and fixed. You can tell if your hand brake cable has stretched, or if your rear pads/discs are low by how far your hand brake comes up, but most people don't seem to acquire this kind of knowledge about their cars.

Leaving a car in gear is no guarantee that it won't still actually roll down a hill, very slowly, all the same. If you really want to be extra cautious then you would turn your wheels away from the kerb when parking facing uphill and towards the kerb when facing downhill (if there is a kerb).

hat
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 13:22:22      reply with quote

its nothing to do with the condition of your brakes, even brand new brake pads coud do this. the problem occurs because when the brake discs are hot they expand, then the pads are squeezed onto these hot discs. then when the discs cool down, they contract & the pads are no longer tightly squeezed against them causing the potential for the car to roll away.

with old style drum brakes the opposite effect works, as the drums cool down they contact causing the brake pads to bite harder.

BMWR1100SS
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 16:23:39      reply with quote

So why would the rear brake disc get so hot to the extent they expand to a degree that when the hand brake is applied then cool down the brake fails...so once again why would the rear brakes be so hot...even if its a brand new car the handbrake should of been in a serviceable condition. ..

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 16:57:58      reply with quote

posted by BMWR1100SS
So why would the rear brake disc get so hot to the extent they expand to a degree that when the hand brake is applied then cool down the brake fails...so once again why would the rear brakes be so hot...even if its a brand new car the handbrake should of been in a serviceable condition. ..
You drive, you use the brakes they get hot, you park, you put the handbrake on, you go shopping, the brake disks cool down. If you haven't applied the handbrake tight enough the brake pad will not be tight on the disk when the disk cools and if you are parked on a hill (and haven't left your car in a low gear) you may have to retrieve your car from wherever it's rolled to.

I parked on the side of the road on a steep hill, when I returned to the car my car was preventing the car in front from rolling down the hill. I had to find a brick to put under the car to be able to extract mine from the parking space. I left a note on the windscreen.

It happens, if you have disk brakes at the rear get into the habit of leaving the car in gear. happy :)

greengrass
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 17:42:00      reply with quote

Bloody hell doggy it dount take much on here fish on or hand brake onlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

BMWR1100SS
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 18:16:24      reply with quote

well in my opinion and it is only my opinion,that if you are driving in a way that you are getting your rear brakes that hot then you need to change the way you drive..because the main percentage of you braking is transfered to the front wheels..so to get your rear brakes so hot you must be driving round with your foot on the brakes..try using the engine to slow your self down or luck further ahead down the road so you dont need to use your brakes as much...but remember to leave it in gear when you park.. LOL.

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 20:38:17      reply with quote

is it that much of an issue to leave the car in gear
fair enough handbrake should take care of it but if you can make it extra safe by leaving in gear whats the problem
ive always left my car in gear common sense

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 21:23:46      reply with quote

highway code entry no 226,parking on hills,,,park close to the kerb and apply handbrake...select a forward gear and turn steering wheel away from curb when facing up hill.. etc opposite for facing down hill,, come on its bl**dy common sense )angry

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 21:25:47      reply with quote

posted by jonno
Not a requirement of the driving test to leave your car in gear when you park it up.
if its in the highway code then it is, you could be asked this question???as for it rolling in gear its reverse gear for facing down hill and 1st gear for facing up hill and if you have a car that can roll in gear have a word with the yanks they will probably buy itlaugh :Dlaugh :D

ciderman
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2013 : 22:31:41      reply with quote

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

21/02/2013 : 16:30:10      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
posted by jonno
if its in the highway code then it is, you could be asked this question???as for it rolling in gear its reverse gear for facing down hill and 1st gear for facing up hill and if you have a car that can roll in gear have a word with the yanks they will probably buy itlaugh :Dlaugh :D
I didn't say it wasn't in the highway code, I said it wasn't a requirement of the driving test. You might get asked the question, yes, and you would need to answer per the code, however, if you park up, turn off your engine and don't put it in gear before leaving the car on your test you will not get marked down, not even a minor fault.

Anyway, I've already agreed it is a good idea to leave it in gear and turn your wheels towards the kerb.

As for the rear discs getting so hot they expand and then contract letting your car roll, I'm sceptical and will research for my own interest. I accept the theory but think in practise it is unlikely.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/02/2013 : 16:44:59      reply with quote

As for the rear discs getting so hot they expand and then contract letting your car roll, I'm sceptical and will research for my own interest. I accept the theory but think in practise it is unlikely.
You wouldn't be so sceptical if you parked your car on my drive, you probably wouldn't have a no claim bonus and the neighbours wouldn't be talking to you.
solid wood flooring

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

21/02/2013 : 18:53:21      reply with quote

posted by Peter
You wouldn't be so sceptical if you parked your car on my drive, you probably wouldn't have a no claim bonus and the neighbours wouldn't be talking to you.
yes you have to rope up and put climbing boots on to get up your drivelaugh :Dwink ;)

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

22/02/2013 : 16:17:27      reply with quote

I know it is horses for courses, but I know I can leave my 2 & 1/4 ton car on a 1 in 4 hill in gear without the handbrake on and it will stay there.
Been there done that, part of the driving course that came with the car.
Know your own car and do whatever is needed to make it safe!
Question, how many mile can you do before the front brake pads need to be changed? can anybody beat 56,000 miles?

Replies in this thread : 22

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Accident in Coop Car Park  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to