Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > spencer ave

Replies in this thread : 25

Author

Topic : spencer ave

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2013 : 17:34:19      reply with quote

wouldn't it be wonderful if Spencer Ave and Hillcrest ave were made up and adopted by brad met
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2013 : 19:45:49      reply with quote

Xref-1 silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=144
Xref-2 silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=1650
Xref-3 silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=1834
Xref-4 www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=2311

Good luck!

sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2013 : 08:36:52      reply with quote

thank you for the links to previous discussions.
thank you for the offer of support posted on the meetings page.
Latest costing from Bradford met ; very estimated cost of making up and adopting the two sections of the road is in the region of 150,000- 190,000 +vat.
They may be willing to do a survey to ascertain the actual cost but only if the money was in place.
The cost to each property is estimated to be 5,500 - 7,500.
This is a huge sum to ask of these few householders.
Please rather than argued about responsibility and blame give the Spencer Ave Action group your support by attending any fundraising we do, help raise the money or giving us a donation .Thank you

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2013 : 09:19:34      reply with quote

Is there a possibility of a discount from the local precept? As suggested by Frankly Frank back in 2005.

"The state of the pavements of unadopted Spencer Avenue and lower Hillcrest Avenue are truly a disgrace on the town, and a danger to pedestrians.

The carriageways provide access to significant residential areas, and Keighley Planning Department should have insisted that the pavements be brought up to standard as planning gain when Skipton Properties built their new development some ten years ago.

Surely now the local UDC Conservative Craven Ward Councillors have contingency funds such that they could collectively allocate to a 'one off' solution to these dangerous pavements. It would be a worthy contribution to the Ward from its public representatives.

Silsden Town Council could also consider using their statutory powers to levy a one off small precept on the local rates as a gesture to contribute to any funding. "

I notice that Andrew Mallinson had things to say on this account, but needless to say, nothing has ever been actually done! "

20/12/2005 : 23:51:21 reply with quote
When you say the word "priority" where do you begin? There are unadopted roads that prevent dissabled people from leaving thier homes safley, there are roads that lead to schools that mean children have to walk through puddles to get there. There are roads that are very long with only a few properties on them and the owners can not afford to pay. Please give me a sensible solution and i will fight your corner. The fact is that people KNOW that they are buying a house at a reduced value and reduced council tax because of the condition of the road. For many years people have had that luxury and now cry the poor tale. It would be unjust to have the rest of the tax payers bail them out. I am doing what i can to find a way of getting Silsden's roads at least brought up to a safer standard than they are now. "

I am sure that the people who bought the houses in Hunters Meadow, amongst others, did not buy heavily discounted properties. People looking to buy or build new houses in that area cannot fail to be aware of the access issues. It still begs the question of how BMDC can and have grant permission for new developments?

As Smiffykat states, the figure given to bring this monstrosity of a road up to standard is high. I would have thought it would have been higher, when you take drainage and disposal of the old concrete into consideration. "thank you for the links to previous discussions.
thank you for the offer of support posted on the meetings page.
Latest costing from Bradford met ; very estimated cost of making up and adopting the two sections of the road is in the region of 150,000- 190,000 +vat.
They may be willing to do a survey to ascertain the actual cost but only if the money was in place.
The cost to each property is estimated to be 5,500 - 7,500.
This is a huge sum to ask of these few householders.
Please rather than argued about responsibility and blame give the Spencer Ave Action group your support by attending any fundraising we do, help raise the money or giving us a donation .Thank you"

Does the figure of 5,500 to 7,500 involve all the newly developed houses or just the houses that front onto Hillcrest and Spencer Avenue? This would have a huge impact on the figures.

I know that if I where handed a bill for that figure, I would have to seek financial assistance to obtain the funding. I know that there are several households up there, including council owned flats that could not possibly afford to provide the funds for the works.

do-gooders
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2013 : 10:22:12      reply with quote

i am totaly sympathetic to this situation..
but the simply facts are,has been and will be,no goverment monies will be available to improve private residential property with public access.
i also use this road and have buckled my front motor bike wheele due to the large pot hole,and had to replace at cost to me,but if i were to be injured because of road conditions i would not hesitate to sue the land ower.
this is a sad situation for the effected residents but unfortunately the buck stops with them,sad but fact!!!!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2013 : 11:51:26      reply with quote

You won't get any help from Bradford - looking at there budget for 2013-14

Private Street Works: delete Council contribution to making up unadopted roads. 67,500

silsden.net/forum/docs/Bradford_Budget_2012-13.pdf (page12)

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2013 : 13:00:17      reply with quote

I've put my first Spencer St comment under the wrong topic (Events). Apologies to those who may have already seen it and to Peter for not paying attention(again). Briefly,I sent support the event at the Co-op. Last year when I asked about adoption of this and another road in Steeton I was told that there are many streets in the same situaton across the Bradford District. If the Council adopted one they'd have to do them all. The cost would run to millions, which they don't have. If everyone locally agreed to a rise in council tax/precept l (which I bet they wouldn't) the extra funding would have to be ring fenced for adoption purposes and include an element for future upkeep. Even tricker. In the meantime let's go for creative thinking and people power. See you at the Co-op!

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2013 : 15:14:49      reply with quote

The costs have been supplied by Andrew Whelan principal engineer , Bradford Met.The sum 1500,000- 190,000 + vat and the break down of this figure into 5,500- 7,500 is the estimated cost per property on Spencer ave and part of Hillcrest Ave.
Its a huge sum which is why we are asking for help in raising this money.
If you would like to give a donation, suggest who we can approach for help , please support Spencer Ave Action Group's fund raising - all help gratefully received.
thank you

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2013 : 15:26:52      reply with quote

Thank you to all who supported Spencer Ave Action Groups first fund raising effort.
We made 109. It's a good start- a long way to go to reach the councils estimate.

Please continue to support us , if you have any items we can sell or raffle they can be left at either 12 or 14 Spencer ave .
If any one is willing to help run a fund raising event please let us know.
Will post date of next table top sale when arranged. Thank you

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

04/03/2013 : 10:36:06      reply with quote

This just goes to show that they have got the funding available, when the notion takes them! www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10264111.Bradford_Council_invests___500_000_to_clean_up_district___s_roads/

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

15/03/2013 : 13:10:55      reply with quote

From the T & A 15th March 2013

Campaign for road repairs in Silsden
www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10291402.Campaign_for_road_repairs_in_Silsden/

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2013 : 08:18:30      reply with quote

I still think Bradford Council have adopted the road by their actions. They would not paint yellow lines on a road they do not own or install and maintain street lighting.
Some of the damage has been caused by drainage issues which are surely Yorkshire water's responsibility

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2013 : 17:54:41      reply with quote

Hi
the following poem has been sent to Spencer Ave Action Group -anonymously.
Enjoy and please support us in our fund raising.
Spencer ave Saga
After the war money was sent from the MOD . but how was it spent
not as it should have been repairing roads , that had been damaged by their heavy loads.
Sixty years later or thereabouts,'the roads need repairing' commuters shout.
'it's not our problem' the councilors say.
this is repeated by road and highway.
The roads unadopted we know this is true, but this applies to only a few.
The surface is bumpy, cracking and sagging
The pavements no better , they really need flagging.
Conditions will worsen, before they get better.
Note the sum quoted in a recent letter
About 6,500 pounds per abode , for the 17 householders who front the road.
[surely this can't be right or fair]Are we to be the only road losers?
What about all the other road users.
[Will they pay a share - will they pay any?]
Most of us think we shouldn't pay a penny.
A few years ago, two estates were erected but,
the needs of car users were sadly neglected.
The initial plan was not put into play, hence the situation today.
Its a busy road needing urgent repair after many years of wear and tear.
There are wagons , lorries and cars galore, every year there's more pass our doors.
So to whom it concerns will you do what you can
please come up with another plan,
Then we'll see if you care at all
By making it SAFER and FAIRER for ALL.
ANON

HB
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2013 : 08:00:17      reply with quote

if the 17 homes how front the road are being asked to pay for it then they must own the road.
They should group together and turn it into a toll road 50p for cars and 10 for lorries.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2013 : 09:42:15      reply with quote

posted by HB
if the 17 homes how front the road are being asked to pay for it then they must own the road.
They should group together and turn it into a toll road 50p for cars and 10 for lorries.

And install parking meters!!

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2013 : 09:59:57      reply with quote

Arnt we due a contraversal ill tell you the answer do as i say reply on this topic from window

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

27/03/2013 : 09:21:08      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Interestingly enough, i thought I paid my car tax (VED) to maintain and repair the public highways. Granted, Spencer Avenue is classed as unadopted, but when I see articles such as this, when BMDC and highways say that there is no money left, I feel cheated - www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10314684.New___500_000_greenway_cycle_and_footpath_planned_to_link_Shipley_and_Bradford/

I am not against cycle routes, but when the funding comes out of Highways!! 500,000 would cover the cost of repairs to Spencer Avenue! No fund raising has taken place for this project, no consultation has taken place over the region. They say that planning has been carried out over 10 years, with consultation with 21 groups. I have never heard of any of these plans in this period.

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

27/03/2013 : 19:46:55      reply with quote

I don't wish to take this off topic, but in response to above query about the cycle route.....

This has been debated for quite some time, as suggested in the story you linked to. I remember discussing this on the ilkley-more.com website (one of the many threads.. www.ilkley-more.com/forum/archive-general-chat/26908-sustrans-and-the-wharfedale-trail.html )

I suppose it is wether you happen to read about it at the time.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2013 : 23:00:51      reply with quote

You have to wonder what goes on at Bradford Council

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/10362085.Criticism_over___45_000_to_resurface_Oxenhope_lane/?ref=rss

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2013 : 09:56:59      reply with quote

SAAG has raised enough to repair one pot hole, the one that was pictured in the Keighley news in march .We are waiting for a start date from the civil engineers recommended by Bradford highways dept .
The average cost per pothole is 2000- please help us raise the money to repair more pot holes and the pavement .
Donations gratefully received ,
cheques made payable to 'Spencer ave action group'
Saleable items can be left at 12 or 14 Spencer ave.
Thank you to all who support us.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2013 : 18:00:42      reply with quote

2grand to fill in that one holeshocked 8Oshocked 8Osomeones taking the p** I would try brian ellis at aire valley surfaces if I was youhappy :)any contractor used by the council is always dearer than anyone else.
solid wood flooring

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2013 : 08:15:01      reply with quote

we have been informed by the highways dept at Bradford that because Hill crest and Spencer ave are public highways they have to be repaired to their standards.We requested quotes from a number of contractors including some recommended by highways. At a SAAG meeting there was a unanimous vote to use Midgley and Palmer.
Two contractors refused to quote for the work because of these roads being the only access to another 200 properties .
If SAAG could use a cheaper contractor and still achieve are ultimate aim of having these roads adopted by Bradford met we would . If you have any influence or can help in anyway please do.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2013 : 08:29:24      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Do you have it in writing that it is a Public Highway because is that not different to a Private Road to which the public have a right of way?.(ie Councils responsibility)

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2013 : 18:35:11      reply with quote

If the road is access to another 200 properties are not those properties as responsible for the upkeep of their access road as the people living on the road?

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2013 : 21:16:43      reply with quote

perhaps morally old miner, but not legally sad :(

Smiffykat
Website Member

Website Member

26/11/2013 : 13:06:37      reply with quote

Hi
SAAG has had a successful first few months and many of you will have seen the work we have already funded with money raised, thanks to many people's generous support.
To be fair to many of our members who do not have computers we communicate by newsletters and meetings .Please if you wish to be kept informed of our fund raising efforts and progress with the potholes become a member and received the news letter and if possible attend the meetings. Please contact me on 01535 652319 for a membership form and latest newsletter.
The tombola at Silsden Christmas fare raised 217 . Everyone who kindly donated items, including Isherwoods Butchers and Pauls DIY have been personally thanked and thank you to everyone who supported us on the day .
thank you

Replies in this thread : 25

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > spencer ave  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to