Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to I'm looking for...... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > Defibrilators

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 138
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Defibrilators

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2013 : 21:58:05      reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a list of where in Silsden one might find Defibrillators in case of somebody suffering a heart attack?
I would expect there to be one in the chemist shops and the doctors surgery, but am I correct? But where else are they kept?
Such information just might save a life!
click for more information

terrier52
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2013 : 22:14:23      reply with quote

Silsden First responders

see

www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/8474062.Town_appeals_for_lifesavers/

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 08:57:05      reply with quote

We had a young lad at Silsden AFC injured and there was some fundraising to help him. He ended up donating money back to the club towards a Defibrillator with Silsden AFC Supporters Club also donating towards the cause. So there is one at the football club. All clubs are encouraged to buy one in particular since Fabrice Muamba the Bolton player almost died at Tottenham.

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/10156253.Injured_footballer_Oliver_Simeone_s_defibrillator_cash_helping_save_lives/

I think the town should have one probably in the Co-op given its long opening hours. They cost around 1,000 and if someone wants to start a fund I will stick a tenner in to kick it off. Just 99 more tenners needed then.....

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 11:42:36      reply with quote

Thanks to those who have replied, I was hoping we could put together a list of where they are now, so they can be accessed in an emergency.
I too am willing to put a tenner into the fund, when we have sorted out where one is needed most.

twigg93
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 11:49:29      reply with quote

ill put a tenner in, never know when you might need it!

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 12:08:02      reply with quote

The good old defribrollator.

Invented in the18th century as a possible means of bringing the dead back to life. Imortalised as the tool of Dr Frankenstein in the well known book by Mary shelley.

Well, today, so long aas they are caught quick enough the dead are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Isn't life wonderful. I wonder what story today will be a regular feature tomorrow?

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 14:16:02      reply with quote

Isn't a list going to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard? How would have the time to wop out a phone and look it up. Whats needed are window stickers/signs so we know where they are by looking around!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 14:41:40      reply with quote

Dodzi, I don't expect this list to be so big that it is hard to remember, I would be surprised if there are more than 5 in the village.
Old miner nice to have a bit of history, but you forgot to say you too would contribute to this fund.

Bob T
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 14:45:33      reply with quote

Nice gestures everyone ill certainly chuck a tenner

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

13/12/2013 : 20:35:21      reply with quote

And its going to be on everyones mind to look it up and remember.....again signs are a better way to go...

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 10:41:54      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hey Dodzi ,you forgot your donation of a tenner, im sure this was an oversight as you have had so much to say on this matter

easynow
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 11:01:34      reply with quote

yes top bannana idea , where do we locate one ?, how quick can we obtain it , will the ambulance get to us before the defib machine ? i chuck at tenner at it anyway , merry christmas

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 15:35:00      reply with quote

Thanks to you all for offering to donate to this good cause. but we need to know where the ones we already have are? Thanks what I asked in the first post.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 18:37:52      reply with quote

At todays football match at Silsden, which we won 1-0, i spoke to our first aid match day provider, NS UNDER 8S TEAM SPONSOR, KFA Medical of Keighley.

I asked if he could do us a good price for a defibrillator for the people of Silsden if it was based in the Coop.

He said he would price us up a machine, do it at cost and make a donation to pay for it.

He would also install it in a bracket in the Coop

I think ours was about 850 from them

I have 10 quid to add to any fund.

If you have 3 minutes spare, you just may save a life.

This is a 3 minute DVD on the instructions of using the Defib.
www.youtube.com/v/o6CzSw41Dss&autoplay=1

greengrass
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 19:29:29      reply with quote

If this was put in the co-op 1st would it get nicked and 2nd if somebody needed it out side the post office how will you get it there .
PS if doggy will put a tenner in i will

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 20:47:02      reply with quote

posted by grandad
Thanks to you all for offering to donate to this good cause. but we need to know where the ones we already have are? Thanks what I asked in the first post.
Besides the football club and probably the new health center i would guess thats about it.

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2013 : 20:50:06      reply with quote

Anyone notice how quiet Dodzi is on here today, it can't have anything to do with a tenner could it

Doncaster Slim
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 07:45:13      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by grandad
Besides the football club and probably the new health center i would guess thats about it.
Think the brigade have one..

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 08:55:06      reply with quote

You mean tenner rather than tender I'm sure... If you want to check my record of working for charities - I can certainly provide a CV. You can of course count me in for a tenner.

oh and by the way I've donated 70 to air ambulance as well!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 09:29:48      reply with quote

posted by Doncaster Slim
posted by gazzer
posted by grandad
Think the brigade have one..
Elliott Street well covered then

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 11:41:11      reply with quote

Thanks for all your interest, does anybody know if the churches have one? I would have hoped the chemist shops would also have had one.
The Methodist church would seem to me to be a central point and open most of the time, that is if they are willing to have one?
solid wood flooring

steetonblue
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 13:36:18      reply with quote

It's worth pointing out, that AEDs (defibs) can be life saving, they are not a substitute for good and prompt CPR. In my time, I have seen literally 100s of cardiac arrests and a defib has restarted the heart in maybe 5 of those, good CPR has kept many many more people stable until they are medically treated and their heart is started at a later time. Having said that, well done for the plan. I would encourage anyone interested in saving life, to look up the local St Johns Ambulance and attend a BLS course.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 14:12:32      reply with quote

So, after all the deliberation, snide remarks and encouragement we are left with 2 questions assuming we go for a site in the Co-op, which seems logical for the first one to be sited.

1) Has anyone approached the Co-op?

2) Has anyone started collecting the tenners?

Enough words, lets see some action, and be ready to save a life, it could be yours......

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 18:22:24      reply with quote

posted by Listener
So, after all the deliberation, snide remarks and encouragement we are left with 2 questions assuming we go for a site in the Co-op, which seems logical for the first one to be sited.

1) Has anyone approached the Co-op?

2) Has anyone started collecting the tenners?

Enough words, lets see some action, and be ready to save a life, it could be yours......
I thought of the Co-op because of its opening idea and I know in Cornwall they are open to the idea.

www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/op-follows-suit-defibrillator-installed/story-20015375-detail/story.html#axzz2nZK0F6iK

Ok then I will offer to take this on. Next July Silsden will be bustling with the month kicking off with Le Tour ending with the Gala.When Le Tour is on the roads will be closed so emergency vehicles might struggle to reach town.We should be able to get one in place by then.
I will sort out some receipts and speak to the Co-op

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 18:33:36      reply with quote

So far pledges are
Grandad
Twigg93
BobT
Easynow
Listener
Greengrass
Dodzi
Silsden Plumbing &Heating
Silsden AFC Supporters Club
Gazzer
and maybe Floyd

Thats 100(110)pledged without much publicity.

Lets get more pledges from individuals and business
Target 850

CORNY
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2013 : 18:56:12      reply with quote

I'm in for a tenner, I think it's an excellent idea

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 10:48:38      reply with quote

The response I have had from my original question has been great, however I still have not had the question answered, if there are already some defibrillators out there in the town, where are they?
I asked the question because last year whilst I was working in Ilkley a Gent collapsed on the Grove and even with the help of the local Police officer and Air ambulance staff doing CPR; unfortunate he died. It was only afterwards that we found out that Betty's tea rooms had a defibrillator, it may or may not have made a difference, but I feel it is better to have one/some of them available just in case.
Gazzer Please do not take this the wrong way, thanks for your initial offer; I look forward to the answers, I feel however that if we want people to donate to this, it must be seen to be completely above board with no chance of any suggestions of misconduct, I am not sure of the best way to proceed; to ensure this.
One possibility might be to do it through the Town Council?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 11:02:56      reply with quote

I think grandad is right, this should be coordinated by the Town Council. There may be grants available (British Heart Foundation ? ) and people will have to be trained to use the machines.
It's a public health issue, and someone has to pull it all together.
As well as a public appeal for donations, the Council should find some money as well to boost the number of machines.
It's a great idea overall, and I'm happy to put a tenner in happy :)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 11:21:16      reply with quote

I have been following this thread and I can't help feeling this is all a bit half baked.

It's a noble idea to have a centrally based defibrillator but without someone who knows how to use it (without looking at the instructions)then it would be useless. The time taken to alert the trained operative and use it may be too late, and would a trained operative be around when needed?

It would be a much better idea to set up a course on basic first aid and CPR. The course would save many more lives than a machine, and doesn't need equipment. The course could cover basic resuscitation, how to recognise a problem and take the correct course of action. I'm sure you could think of a few more items to add to the first aid course.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 12:11:01      reply with quote

Peter, thanks for your input, don't forget I only started this in an effort to find out where the defibs might already be.
You are correct, basic first aid training is the best way forward, I believe I heard somewhere that it is taught in most; if not all schools in the USA.
I believe that training to use these machines is a good idea but not essential, once the box is opened there is pre recorded instructions given as part of the way the machine works, whilst it may take a little longer for a novice to use it than a fully trained person, they can successfully work one, hopefully somebody else will be giving CPR to the patient at the same time.
Why don't we try doing both! Get one or more defibs for the Town, and try to get the public at large interested in attending first aid courses?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 13:25:55      reply with quote

Just for a start... and assuming the health centre has a machine.... wouldn't it be a good idea to ask them just how often they have to use the machine at the health center and "in the wild".

While you are at it ask them what would be the most useful way to save a life should someone have a heart attack (you have to recognise it as such first) or perhaps the occurrence of a stoke (speed of action is essential), or perhaps a car accident involving loss of blood. CPR and a knowledge of first aid would be a much better skill to have than a machine. The machine will arrive with the ambulance and trained medics.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 14:02:40      reply with quote

I am more than happy that the Town Council step forward and take this onboard. Regarding First Aid training its amazing how many people have basic first aid training and if a defibrillator was available could use one.
I went on a course at Addingham Doctors surgery run by Addingham Heartstart. It covered CPR through to using a defibrillator. I am sure its open to anybody and they would even come to Silsden. It was stressed on the course how valuable this piece of equipment is.There were many stories of how peoples lives were saved by one of these.
I understand Coun Kelly one of our ward councillors owes his life to one when resucitated at Leeds Bradford Airport with a machine just installed.

Lets crack on while there is plenty of interest.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 14:13:03      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by Peter

. CPR and a knowledge of first aid would be a much better skill to have than a machine. The machine will arrive with the ambulance and trained medics.

On the course we saw how hard CPR is to do over a length of time. Its a good start but it wont re start a heart. Every minute lost before using a defibrillator reduces the chances of survival by 10% in someone with a cardiac arrest.
Trained first aiders,ambulances,Paramedics,air ambulance,defibrillator are all vital tools in the toolbox

steetonblue
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 17:03:33      reply with quote

So, to clear up a few things:
An AED will only "restart" the heart if the person is in one of two specific rhythms. These rhythms are most common post heart attack but they do occur for other reasons however, heart attack is the most common cause of a shockable cardiac arrest. There are numerous other causes of cardiac arrest that having an AED present would make no difference at all and for these cases (and in cases of a shockable rhythm without an AED present) there is no substitute for good CPR.
There are many people who are alive due to AEDs but there are many many more who have died due to lack of prompt and effective CPR.
AEDs are simple to use. They are designed that way, the machine speaks to you slowly and clearly giving simple instructions. If I were to use one on the street, i would be seconds quicker than a lay person (you can't bypass the voice so you go at the pace of the machine)

steetonblue
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 17:05:21      reply with quote

Hmmmm ran out of space......
So in short, yes get an AED but don't think it will save everyone or even most collapses. Get yourselves CPR trained, that will keep the unfortunate soul alive long enough to get proper treatment.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2013 : 17:34:39      reply with quote

The Defrib machines are very "User Friendly", and once turned, on they instruct you every step of the way, so pretty straight forward.

Each machine though does come with instruction for 4 people, who can then also show others how to operate them, but if you see the dvd below you will see how easy it may be to save a life.

www.youtube.com/v/o6CzSw41Dss&autoplay=1

Replies in this thread : 138
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< next page next page >>

Thread Closed

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > Defibrilators  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to