Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Tesco Coming To Silsden?

Replies in this thread : 139
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Tesco Coming To Silsden?

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 07:56:45      reply with quote

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/news_keighley/10939515.Hope_of_200_jobs_in_store_bid_by_Tesco_for_Silsden/?ref=var_0#commentsList

I saw this online in the Keighley News this morning. They say that a further 200 jobs will be created by the development on the former Riverdale Mills site. It could sort two local issues out, jobs and a long derelict site. However, it could kill smaller businesses out in town and without a doubt, add to congestion.

Andrew MALLINSON has, once again, been heavily mentioned in this article!

Given Tescos market share and recent announcement that they are not planning on building new stores, I find this article surprising. Tesco recently stated that internet shopping has reduced footfall in the supermarket trade.
click for more information

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 08:40:42      reply with quote

i reckon that will kill aldis plan for one over the road if it works outhappy :)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 08:55:35      reply with quote

My post copied from silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=3938&recordnum=0

Tesco for Silsden?
Jobs and more people spending money in Silsden, but will that happen?

I have made a map and marked all the businesses in Silsden which, I think, will be adversely affected by a Tesco super store, some more than others, but if Tesco’s comes to Silsden it will change what we can buy in Silsden from independent shops.

Butchers, how many butchers do you know on Cavendish Street, Keighley?
Newsagents, a lot of their business is passing trade.
Florist
Pubs
Café
Bakers
Hardware
Pet food
Petrol?

The resulting empty shops will become charity shops and more hairdressers!

Tesco would provide a large car park, but will shoppers bother to walk to Silsden, and walk they must because there is no parking in Silsden. What would be the attraction to visit Silsden anyway?

I guess if they built on the Habasit Rossi site we could occasionally get fresh fish swimming down the aisles when it flooded. If they were to build on the other side of the road we could have traffic lights biased in favour of the supermarket (as the Booths lights are in Ilkley).

I’m not saying we should not have another (small) supermarket, but it should not be a superstore.

Be careful what you wish for!

x-ref silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=3938&recordnum=0

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 09:28:59      reply with quote

I hope I am wrong, but if Tesco's do come to Silsden it is likely that Aldi will pull out of their deal to build here, which will have a knock on effect that Habisat will have to move away, so the 200 jobs promises by Tesco's will be less than those lost at the other two work places.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 10:55:12      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

"Coun Mallinson said with the planned growth of Silsden, Steeton and Addingham, supermarket developers clearly recognised a need."

Whats he getting out of the new housing in Silsden. There could be a link the way he has been banging on about it for years

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 11:06:30      reply with quote

It does not say it will be a superstore, a medium sized supermarket is how it is described.I don't know why cllr mallinson is always so keen on pushing development in silsden, it will all add to the flood risk and the traffic congestion and anyone driving to the tesco from say steeton or keighley will not bother to drive into silsden to look at the shops, there is not anything interesting enough to attract people.There is a big supermarket war game going on at the moment,tesco did not do well at christmas and Aldi excelled, I am suprised Tesco want to spend more money unless they already own the site?It will be interesting to see the plans.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 11:38:50      reply with quote

And Mallinson thinks its better for people to come to the new store from the proposed new housing in Addingham. Is he the only person in Silsden that wants more traffic to come up and down Silsden's main street. And he is supposed to represent our views but he works the opposite way on almost everything he speaks about.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 12:21:56      reply with quote

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Posted on behalf of A Friswell (from email received)

I see a poster is implying that Andrew \"Granny\" Mallinson could be in cahoots with businesses like Tesco to his own advantage. I want to take this opportunity to assure all readers that \"Granny\" is an honest and upstanding man whose efforts to promote Tesco and Aldi are motivated by altruism and a love for his fellow men, not by greed or corruption. Accusations of this kind should be made in the first instance to the authorities. I for one do not believe any such innuendo.

UPDATE ON THIS POST

I have now found the missing email, it was (automatically) misfiled.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 12:46:04      reply with quote

Objection...It was a question and if the answer is a selfless concern for the well being of others then it leads to another question
I understand the majority of the people he represents on Bradford Council are not in favour of building thousands of new houses on green belt, then who are the "others" he wishes to protect their well being?.
The best thing about this country is democracy so I guess we will find out in due course if the people of Craven feel he seeks to protect their well being.
I dont know many people who are against all building but Cobbydalers dont deserve thousands of properties destroying the area. There is nothing better than walking the green lanes and footpaths that surround us but if the plans go ahead future generations will have to take a car journey to do the same things we can enjoy now.
The next council election will be fought on whats best for our community and may the best man(person) win

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 16:21:39      reply with quote

Tesco or aldi hmmmm 200 jobs hmmmm must be one hell of a store to employ 200hmmmm me thinks someone is dreaming ,we have jobs already at the proposed aldi site ,ie habbasit,do we lose them in favour of one of the dearest supermarket chains in this country,existing full time jobs are more important than the supposed Tesco jobs,we need proper jobs not part time jobs so I for one will be saying a big no to Tesco.

LizzieW
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 17:04:53      reply with quote

I had a leaflet about it through the door today. There's a public exhibition at the Methodist Church Wed 22 Jan 3pm till 8pm and representatives will be there to discuss it.

I'm assuming that all houses will get the leaflet.

Liz

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 17:49:25      reply with quote

posted by skippy
Tesco or aldi hmmmm 200 jobs hmmmm must be one hell of a store to employ 200hmmmm me thinks someone is dreaming ,we have jobs already at the proposed aldi site
The plan is for a 20,000sqft store = 200 jobs then how come a 28,000sqft store is only 140 jobs

www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/up-to-140-jobs-in-store-at-new-7-5m-tesco-supermarket-1-6276839

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 17:53:00      reply with quote

Skipton Tesco employs 300 so unless people only work 1 day a week I would take those figures with a pinch of salt

dinsydoodah
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 18:23:05      reply with quote

A BIG NO TO TESCO IN SILSDEN. MALLINSON OUT, COBBYDALERS IN !!!

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 18:55:38      reply with quote

There has to be a better use for this land than building a Tescos which will kill the town centre.

This area is huge, what a missed oportunity for real jobs.

Won't this be a change of use from manufacturing to retail and for what? 200 jobs (if you believe pigs can fly)... not real full time jobs but part time jobs, an hour here and hour there.

The Habisit and potentially Aldi are real jobs, but without the Aldi development all those jobs will go.

Don't Tescos price locally, so prices will be close to the coop, and cheap petrol forget it.

SAY NO TO TESCOS

twigg93
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 19:29:57      reply with quote

another ridiculous idea if it's approved, nearly as stupid as the idiot who decided to bring outside market traders in at Christmas.

The town council have no concept of keeping things local.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 19:40:35      reply with quote

the xmas market was done because only one or 2 SILSDEN SO CALLED TRADERS bothered to open on the late night shopping thursday with santa parade taken up silsden to his grotto so the traders were to blame for thatangryangryangryangry

silsden gala
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 19:48:01      reply with quote

off thread I know but thank you for that Dogcatcher! It brings lots of people out into Silsden and makes some money to go towards putting on the gala!!We take nothing from anyone else open on a Sunday because only news agents do so.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 19:59:44      reply with quote

i prefer the other site as its an eyesore the aidi one is a green field,why could`nt aldi have got the other site?

twigg93
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 20:05:29      reply with quote

silsden gala, i'll stand by my comment. Maybe if the town council did more for local businesses they may open for things such as that? What benefit does bringing people in to Silsden do if there aren't any businesses open for them?

If tesco or aldi get permission to build it'll take everything out of Silsden. Not that half of the council are willing to fight for their town anyway......

localman
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 20:06:38      reply with quote

what a joke? i bet when the weaving mills first came to silsden you lot would have been jumping up and down shouting we only make nails in silsden we do not want weaving sheds in our town get real and start to move with the times silsden is going to get bigger so just deal with it instead of this constant moaning about every thing.
solid wood flooring

MBR
Website Member

Website Member

16/01/2014 : 22:30:45      reply with quote

I can only agree with the previous comment - the land has been an eyesore for the last 3 years - this development will not only bring jobs , make the entrance to Silsden look a little more pleasant , bring cheap fuel and a real choice in regard to shopping - all those people who shop 'in town' can continue to shop in town - bring it on - lets drag Silsden in to the 21st century111

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 04:56:29      reply with quote

posted by MBR
I can only agree with the previous comment - the land has been an eyesore for the last 3 years - this development will not only bring jobs , make the entrance to Silsden look a little more pleasant , bring cheap fuel and a real choice in regard to shopping - all those people who shop 'in town' can continue to shop in town - bring it on - lets drag Silsden in to the 21st century111
Is fuel at Skipton and Ilkley cheaper? - No, in fact it's more expensive.
The jobs it will bring, are Low paid, the majority of which will be part time. It will inevitably take trade away from town, having a negative effect on the town itself. It will tidy derelict land up to some extent, if you want to see acres of concrete, the site has been derelict for the last 6 years. The oh REAL benefit is a range of goods being a available, that take away the necessity of travelling into Keighley, Skipton or Ilkley, following yet another unsuccessful trip to the Co-op.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 07:18:45      reply with quote

200 jobs have been quoted on here, but looking at the broader picture, will they all be taken by the unemployed or will they be filled by people already in employment? If the latter, that isn't creating more jobs it's removing them from other employers. Also. it's inevitable that local trade will be hit hard, so how many business will close because of Tesco. At least with Aldi their numbers of staff will not reach these figures. If we have to make a choice, it would definately be Aldi for my vote.
As one contributor stated, people are hardly likely to come into town after their visit to a supermarket, so it's unlikely to bring further trade here.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 10:26:24      reply with quote

How big is this store going to be? - 1,900sqm - BIG (a small superstore)

Why do we need a Tesco if there is an Aldi across the road? - We don't.

Tesco would provide more choice than an Aldi, but Aldi users know you can get all you need for a weekly shop - at a fraction of the price of a Tesco shop - with just perhaps a monthly visit to a large supermarket (of your choice).

Will it close the shops on Silsden's town centre? - YES, it is inevitable.

Will it benefit the people of Silsden? - it will cause more traffic congestion, it will probably close our butchers, newsagents will struggle, food outlets and pubs will see a decline in trade and there will be more empty shops. On the plus side there are likely to be lots of promised handouts from the company to support the local community projects. Perhaps the Town Hall will be made fully disabled compliant.

Will petrol be cheaper? - NO, the existing petrol station will not be able to compete, but once that is gone Tesco have a policy of local pricing so with no competition why should petrol be any cheaper than Cross Hills?

There will be lots of new jobs - NOT REALLY. There will obviously be some new full time jobs but the majority of the jobs will be part time. The jobs created by Tesco may have to offset by the loss of jobs at Habisit and Aldi - Habisit need to refurbish their premises and have teamed up with Aldi to fund the revamp. If Aldi pull out of the project (because of Tesco) there would not be any Aldi jobs and Habisit may have to relocate out of Silsden. Perhaps we would have a recycling plant on the site instead!

The size of supermarkets:

The proposed Tesco 1,900sqm
The Silsden Co-op 1,100sqm
The proposed Aldi 1,140sqm

There are already 2 Tesco superstores within 5 miles of Silsden so you have to ask what is the catchment area for the proposed store? All the new houses they want to build here?

On the information below please look at the shop hours and the items they stock and ask yourself what the future holds for Silsden.

Shouldn't this land be used for manufacturing (not retail) to provide real, full time jobs?

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 11:15:37      reply with quote

Are we sure that if Tesco's get a planning go-ahead in Silsden that Aldi's plans will be withdrawn? They co-exist in Keighley only yards from Sainsburys and are always very busy. Quality food and drink at good prices & just enough of a continental twist to be interesting. For cynical silsden.netters; I have no financial link with Aldi other than a great bi-weekly,fast-through check-out trolley of stuff.
It isn't possible to keep Silsden, Steeton, Eastburn & Addingham in aspic - however much we might want to. The butchers in Addingham is closing. Why? It may comforting to blame one Councillor and carefully suggest he has a corrupt motive. (2nd note for cynical readers; I have never voted Tory in my life and don't plan to. Ever.)That wont halt change and may get you sued.

Resistance to Tesco needs to be a positive effort across the Craven Ward communities with alternative cost effective ideas for the site. Please check your own shopping spend and if you feel the Co-op is too expensive -- find out why. Perhaps they treat their suppliers better? Pay their work force a Living Wage? Remember, if we all spend £10 a week in our local shops they'll stay open.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 11:25:57      reply with quote

Could it just be a way of spoiling the aldi application. After all maybe they just want to scare the competition off???

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 13:26:34      reply with quote

Very unlikely that Aldi would be "scared off" by Tesco. Check out the 2013 market results.Tesco significantly down but Aldi up -- a lot.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 14:23:48      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
Could it just be a way of spoiling the aldi application. After all maybe they just want to scare the competition off???
i think this is a very real possibility. It's very coincidental that these seemingly well developed plans have come out so soon after the Alsi development was submitted for planning. i would be very worried that Tesco were simply adding this site to their 'land bank' to see off potential competition. Don't forget they've been sat on the old Spooners site in Ilkley for several years now with no sign of any actual development happening any time soon.

I noticed coming down Bolton road today that there are several signs on the lamposts stating '200 new jobs for Silsden'. Wonder who put those up ahead of Wednesday's exhibition?

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 16:17:29      reply with quote

Well I have emailed a reply of my comments to the email address on the card that came through the door this morning. From their web site Nathaniel Lichfield & Partners look a reputable consultancy firm. Would not usually put those two words together, but in this case I will.

As I see it the biggest question for any store down there is who will be the customers. Most of Silsden's population is on the opposite side of the canal. There is the single bridge. So who is going to bother. Much easier to nip to the Co-operative. If you are driving some distance then why not Keighley, Skipton or Ilkley? Walking into Silsden is not to far for most people and while the co-operative does not have the greatest of ranges it is more than adequate most of the time. While heading to the co-operative then you pass and use the bucher, the baker, chemist and drop into a cafe.

If Tescos or Aldi build a store down there it has a good chance of ending up a lemon and closing within a few years. Tescos are experts in respect of lemons as the Free and Easy debacle in the USA shows.

As far as I am concerned they can build the place. Might even look in now and again, but a major shopping destination - unlikely. Unless I walk to much hassle getting there. Easier to go to co-op.

SilsdenBantam
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 18:41:20      reply with quote

Tesco would happily ruin our town. Why do we need it? We already have a co op, we are 5 mins away from loads is supermarkets & many of us shop online anyway. Imagine the traffic that would bring to an already busy road. NO TO TESCO

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2014 : 23:24:31      reply with quote

The Floor space at Tesco does not seem that big. But if it stops people leaving Town to do their big shop and brings people in from other places like Steeton it should not affect the Town centre that much.
I say let them come and Aldi too.More choice for Silsden More people coming in could possibly use other Silsden Shops too.

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2014 : 07:07:26      reply with quote

For and against. All good reasoning.
A few points to add - Co-op not a bad store but way too expensive. A new Aldi if similar to Skipton would not employ local people - they would just bring them from other Aldi stores and from other areas (as the have done for Skipton!).
Tesco if true to their word would hopefully employ local people and is a fair better shop then Aldi (although they do seem to build them close to each other in other towns/cities!).
I personally think it would be a good idea to have both an Aldi and a Tesco in Silsden; if it is just to eliminate the eyesore as you enter Silsden - a complete ramshackle and doesn't encourage anyone to come through Silsden let alone shop!!

CrazyFrog
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2014 : 21:30:35      reply with quote

Tesco would be my choice aldi is good value but my kids like the branded coop hasn't got much choice but serves its purpose handy for paying bills,gas,electric.Coop has regular clientele who shopped for many years prob continue to use.We could use some extra jobs maybe only part-time min pay but better than no job suit local mums,single parents,students if its just to top earnings or main job you have no travel costs most supermarkets will work around school hours.Has my vote.

SilsdenBantam
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2014 : 07:17:39      reply with quote

If you the think the jobs will go to Silsden residents you must be mad. It's more likely they will come from Keighley, Utley etc. Just look at what super markets have down to Shipley & Guiseley. Our town centre will be a ghost town. Imagine the traffic problems, just one car outside the chippy blocks the road. If there is an event on at the football club how will endless hide lorries get up and down the road? Our small town doesn't need such a big store when we already have the co-op. If our town needs housing isn't that a prime location rather than build on our fields?

MBR
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2014 : 18:01:20      reply with quote

I fail to understand why it would have a detrimental effect on 'Silsden' high-street - you can already buy all your groceries on line - I'm assuming all those people on this forum who are against the Tesco proposal do not do any shopping in any of the big supermarkets ??? obviously they do , so why being able to shop at Tesco's in Silsden rather than say skipton would that have any impact on the Silsden's high-street? ,it doesn't have that much to offer in regard to 'shoppers' don't believe all those silsdeners who use the local shops butchers etc will suddenly stop using them just because they can now shop down the road - again I'm I favour of this development!!

Replies in this thread : 139
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Tesco Coming To Silsden?  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to