Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Main Street Traffic Chaos

Replies in this thread : 13

Author

Topic : Main Street Traffic Chaos

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

30/01/2014 : 18:58:04      reply with quote

Having walked down the main street this afternoon and the chaos which ensued, with a cattle wagon coming down from Ilkley and a yellow school bus heading the other way meeting near the post office I wondered if we now needed a contingency plan.

If the area next to the beck was re designed as a parking area along its length and into the area where the seats are by the computer shop we could maybe add double yellow lines to the rest of the main street.

Still enough room behind the now seated area for more seats to overlook the beck and waterfall.

Perhaps 20-minute free parking should be enough to allow shoppers to access the lower end of the streets shops and businesses.

The top car park, Briggate, Bell Square car park and maybe even the Punch car park and side street used to access the higher end of the main street.

I am also mindful of the traffic calming effect the parked cars in the street now have and then wonder if it is a trade off worth considering.

Just an idea...........
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 10:28:42      reply with quote

I think we need to lose maybe 2 spaces on the main street, the last one by the phone box and the first one nearest the chemist.If a large vehicle parks on the one near the chemist it can obscure drivers view of the zebra and the one by the phone box is at a point where the road is quite narrow and the space is also narrow so usually whatever is parked there sticks out a bit causing a problem if two large vehicles are trying to pass each other.I am sure it would assist with the flow of traffic and would be easy to implement at minimal cost, just a bit of yellow paint to put double lines

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 11:29:53      reply with quote

Agree completely Ginjo, the cars parked outside the top chemist are a dangerous obstruction. I would go further and stop parking on the main street entirely and put a 20mph limit from the petrol station to the top park entrance. There are enough free short term parking spaces within 1 to 2 minutes walk of the shops. Also all the crossings, existing, and proposed "puffin" or "pelecan" or whatever, already create a significant calming effect. Removing the parking would make it safer for pedestrians using the top zebra as drivers would have a better chance of seeing them.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 11:43:46      reply with quote

In total agreement with previous posts. We have watched the traffic chaos on numerous occasions and wondered how on earth some of the heavy goods and buses cope with our main street. Definately should be yellow lines down at least 3 car lengths from opposite the chippy, the road narrows there and traveling down from Bolton Road you cannot see around the bend until you have committed to pull out from parked vehicles.
Don't wish to a miserable so and so over this, but safety is an issue here. Can't think of another main street where you are allowed to park in such a narrow road. AND THERE ARE CAR PARKS.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 12:29:41      reply with quote

Sorry to pour cold water on your ideas, but Bradford will not do anything about this problem.
About twenty years ago it was suggested by the then Parish council that because more people crossed the road at the post office the crossing outside the Town Hall should be moved down to the post office, this would also have the effect of providing a place where large vehicles could pass on the bend (there wouldn't be any cars parked there because of the zig zag for the crossing) Bradford sent out a team of people who counted number and where the crossed the road, the results showed we were right, some even agreed it was a good idea!
Then they put in the third crossing outside Twiggs.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 14:15:30      reply with quote

grandad, my comments had nothing to do with the crossing placements, I just suggested losing a couple of parking spaces, I am sure bradford would not think that unreasonable, its ridiculous the way it is at the moment and losing a couple of spaces should not upset anyone.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 16:20:01      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

yes lose the parking now on the post office side and raise the other 2 crossings,the parking slowed traffic down but now we have 1 raised crossing this seems to have the same effect so raise the other 2 and it should do the same ,,,,ps a few more parking places could be freed up from restriction at the bottom of new rd and same up aire view to compensate the loss on main rd

rotter
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 17:04:15      reply with quote

double yellow lines down both sides wouldnt go a miss its dangerous even more so with the jump that they have erected outside the town hall

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2014 : 00:39:59      reply with quote

Double yellow line have been suggested many times, but its believed the parked cars slow traffic and therefore increase road safety!

dinsydoodah
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2014 : 10:35:14      reply with quote

I have often wanted to park on the pay and display by waddy's, opposite the twisters, but find it full of frickin taxis on many occasions !!

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2014 : 11:25:39      reply with quote

Since it seems people now go shopping by car why don't we think about providing shopping facilities with dedicated car parks....oops I think
Aldi and Tesco thought of the idea first!

rotter
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2014 : 14:30:13      reply with quote

dont you think the ridiculous speed ramp outside the town hall will slow the speeding silsdeners down ? i do it definatley works for me
not that i speed

darter
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2014 : 16:29:56      reply with quote

Taking away on-street parking is the quickest way to kill off town centre trade. I know because I've seen it in every place I've lived.
If you want a town full of charity shops, estate agents and betting shops, just get rid of the parking. Simple.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2014 : 17:32:11      reply with quote

My original suggestion was merely a thought spoken out loud.

I now see from driving today down the main street how beneficial losing at least one or two of the parking areas by the chemist would be, and maybe getting permission to use a few cones as a trial would help make up minds.

I still think it a reasonable idea in creating a few spaces by the computer shop but realise the expense and lack of funds available.

Replies in this thread : 13

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Main Street Traffic Chaos  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to