Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Phishing Scam

Replies in this thread : 16

Author

Topic : Phishing Scam

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 09:21:54      reply with quote

www.silsden.net/forum/images/pb_smiley_angry.gifhttp://www.silsden.net/forum/images/pb_smiley_shocked.gifhttp://www.silsden.net/forum/images/pb_smiley_angry.gif

Whilst checking my email accounts, I noticed an email allegedly from Natwest in the spam folder. This raised my suspicions on three accounts, one being that anything from Natwest usually goes into my inbox, two that it stated that I had numerous failed attempts to access my account(s) It didn't state whether it was online banking or ATM, CHIP & PIN etc. The third point was that it only gave you 24 hours to respond. I have had no calls from Natwest asking about failed access or anything else.

I phoned Natwest security, who told me that it is a known phishing scam, THE DOWNLOADS SHOULD NOT BE OPENED!!! The PC should be checked for Malware.

I appreciate that this may be pointing the obvious out to some people, but there are many people out there that may not pick up on some of the points I have raised and then find their bank accounts cleaned out.
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 10:02:17      reply with quote

You should NEVER click on any links within emails which link to a bank account.

Always type (*) the address of the bank into the address bar of your browser and log into your account to see any messages.

(*) Beware, if you mistype the bank address you may be directed to a lookalike page so be vigilant. You could setup a shortcut favourite to the login page if you have a habit of mistyping addresses.

Personally I never provide an email address to be attached to my bank account, that way any email received from a bank is junk mail happy :)

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

31/01/2014 : 19:27:12      reply with quote

Good advice Peter....and watch out for the popup in the bottom right hand of screen, which advises an upgrade to Skype or Real Player...do not go there!

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

22/02/2014 : 13:35:11      reply with quote

I have just had an email allegedly from HMRC saying that they have calculated that with my fiscal activity that I am due a tax refund of 418.33. Please fill in the attached form.

Despite having the Royal Crest etc, both the spelling and grammar was exceptionally poor. It was blatantly obvious that it was a scam. The HMRC helpline advises anyone receiving this email, to delete it. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!! I was informed that it is a known virus that is currently doing the rounds.

HMRC DO NOT send any emails relating to tax rebates and certainly do not ask for documents completed via email.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

15/07/2014 : 13:11:34      reply with quote

I have just had an email from this sender - E-ZPass Customer Service Center (manager@box-mvd.ru) in relation to a toll road invoice. Knowing I have not been on any toll roads recently, alarm bells rang. My PC blocked the attachment and the mail entered my junk box.

The body of the email -

E-ZPass
Service Center
Dear customer,

You have not paid for driving on a toll road. This invoice is sent repeatedly,
please service your debt in the shortest possible time.

The invoice can be downloaded here.

Terms & Conditions | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Phishing Policy 2014 E-ZPass

I was wondering if my registration plates have been copied and used on another vehicle??

Marrywell
Website Member

Website Member

15/07/2014 : 14:08:36      reply with quote

Definitely a scam. Probably from abroad as grammar and punctuation etc is appalling! I wouldn't worry about your registration plates being copied as there is no indication of them knowing them. Neither could they get your email address from your registration details. Delete immediately and,as you opened the email, check your PC for bugs.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

15/07/2014 : 20:55:42      reply with quote

Look at this site.

Www.419eater.com

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2014 : 14:26:36      reply with quote

Thanks Old Miner. I've just had a chuckle looking at some of the interactive blogs involving these scammers.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2014 : 10:48:57      reply with quote

www.actionfraud.police.uk/scam-emails

Link to the police fraud unit.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2014 : 11:29:56      reply with quote

posted by GAMEKEEPER
I have just had an email from this sender - E-ZPass Customer Service Center (manager@box-mvd.ru) in relation to a toll road invoice. Knowing I have not been on any toll roads recently, alarm bells rang. My PC blocked the attachment and the mail entered my junk box.

The body of the email -

E-ZPass
Service Center
Dear customer,

You have not paid for driving on a toll road. This invoice is sent repeatedly,
please service your debt in the shortest possible time.

The invoice can be downloaded here.

Terms & Conditions | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Phishing Policy 2014 E-ZPass

I was wondering if my registration plates have been copied and used on another vehicle??
Doubt they would find your e-mail address from your number plate

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2014 : 11:46:55      reply with quote

get these myself quite a lot from banks tolls tax refunds etc etc just click on the arrow next to junk at the top of the page and phishing scam appears click on that and it sends it off for processing and stopping it happening again,happy :)

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2014 : 14:27:12      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

BEWARE ALL APPLE USERS!

I received this email some time yesterday and rather stupidly followed the links:

"Your receipt No.145195263563396
Inbox
x

lTunes Store <store66627@mirror.co.uk>
06:29 (7 hours ago)

to me
You've bought a program "TomTom" from the Apple Store.
It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

If you have not authorized this charge, log in as soon as possible to cancel the payment!

Apple Store Transaction Cancellation Form

When the payment will be canceled you will get a full refund.

Apple Store United Kingdom!

Apart from the occasional music download, I do not buy anything from my itunes account. This turned out to be a scam. They have now seen all my bank account details and card details. I didn't look at the email address, which would have alerted me to a possible fraud. I now means I have to wait for a new card to come through the post and reset ALL my online accounts.

The email came directly into my inbox, not my junk/spam box, which led me to believe it was legitimate. (That's my defence).

BASTARDS!!

Landrover
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2014 : 18:24:47      reply with quote

Last week I had an email from Fedex not,fedEx saying I had been out when they tried to deliver a parcel, would I download the document and go along to their warehouse, at the time they said they called I was in, suffering from a bad cold, no one called. Presume that was a scam, didn't open the attachment.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2014 : 18:40:55      reply with quote

Delivery people put a note through your letter box if they can't deliver.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2014 : 22:33:29      reply with quote

posted by GAMEKEEPER

lTunes Store <store66627@mirror.co.uk>
06:29 (7 hours ago)

This email should have rung alarm bells before you read the message. Non Apple users get them too and it is probably only a matter of time before they target Google Play and Amazon much more.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2014 : 06:55:56      reply with quote

Thanks Blob. I must really have had an off moment. There was no Apple logo, the email address doesn't look like a genuine email address and there was no other account identification in the email. The fact it came straight into my inbox, not my junk box must have given me a false sense of security?

I can assure you that it will not be happening again. I am due for a phone upgrade shortly, so I can get rid of this bloody awful iPhone, which means I won't need an iTunes account. However, back to the issue at hand: this issue has caused me both time, stress and inconvenience. I now have to wait 2-4 working days for a replacement bank card, re install my online banking accounts, restore various other financial accounts, all of which are interlinked. All of this is time consuming and frustrating.

The online fraud team (police) have also advised me to take my PC to have it scanned for malicious viruses. Nothing appears to have changed on my PC, but is it worth the risk?

I just hope that the sneaky, devious scrotes that sent out this scam get nailed, quickly, before someone loses a lot of money!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/12/2014 : 10:45:43      reply with quote

Had a phone scammer today. He could help rid a virus of my computer. I tell you what they dont like having a conversation about stuff like the weather.His conversation was just about turning my computer on!!. Cut me off eventually when I said "no, im too busy"

For reference the number was

Replies in this thread : 16

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Phishing Scam  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to