Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Proposed Development of a Tesco Store in Silsden

Replies in this thread : 20

Author

Topic : Proposed Development of a Tesco Store in Silsden

rmegson
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2014 : 16:06:23      reply with quote

Tesco are seeking planning permission to build a store on the land opposite Habasit. If you are opposed to this you need to let The Planning Department know. Please email Fiona Tiplady at fiona.tiplady@bradford.gov.uk or write to: The Planning Department, The First Floor, Jacobs Well, Bradford, BD1 5RW BEFORE the 9th JUNE 2014

Thoughts for consideration...
**Plans have already been passed for an Aldi store; do we need another supermarket as well?
**A Tesco store would greatly affect the existing shops and businesses within the village, killing off the high street.
** The petrol station would probably close, leaving an unsightly, empty garage forecourt.
** Although some jobs will be created; there is still a significant threat to already existing jobs, livelihoods and businesses.
** There would probably be an increase in the number of cars going through the village adding to an already congested and sometimes dangerous high-street
** Most people who want to do their main shop elsewhere seem happy to go to Skipton or Keighley. There is also a new Morrisons Local in Steeton.

Remember, BEFORE THE 9th JUNE 2014
click for more information

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2014 : 16:10:48      reply with quote

go to railway road in ilkley and look at the eyesore created by Tesco. yes I mean that undeveloped land that looks no better than the old mill site they want in silsden. then make up your minds.

tetleydrinker
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2014 : 17:53:32      reply with quote

posted by rmegson
Tesco are seeking planning permission to build a store on the land opposite Habasit. If you are opposed to this you need to let The Planning Department know. Please email Fiona Tiplady at fiona.tiplady@bradford.gov.uk or write to: The Planning Department, The First Floor, Jacobs Well, Bradford, BD1 5RW BEFORE the 9th JUNE 2014

Thoughts for consideration...
**Plans have already been passed for an Aldi store; do we need another supermarket as well?
**A Tesco store would greatly affect the existing shops and businesses within the village, killing off the high street.
** The petrol station would probably close, leaving an unsightly, empty garage forecourt.
** Although some jobs will be created; there is still a significant threat to already existing jobs, livelihoods and businesses.
** There would probably be an increase in the number of cars going through the village adding to an already congested and sometimes dangerous high-street
** Most people who want to do their main shop elsewhere seem happy to go to Skipton or Keighley. There is also a new Morrisons Local in Steeton.

Remember, BEFORE THE 9th JUNE 2014
This Application has been common knowledge for a good while, so could I add if you support the application also email the planning department, as I see it today Silsden main street inc Brigate has 2 Chinese takeaways, 2 Indian restaraunts, 1 Italian Restaurant, 4 indian/asian takeaways, 2 chip shops, 2 sandwich shops, 2 Cafes, a wedding frock shop, 2 Butchers, a proper newsagent, and an off licence/newsagent, a bookies, an art shop, Nadines, the post office, help the aged, 2 Chemists, a tattooists,3 Solicitors, 2 Banks/Building societies, 4 pubs, 2 barbers, 4 Hairdressers,a travel agents, a pet shop and a kitchen showroom.
So unless Tesco's or Aldi offers late night takeaway delivery, a cafe/restaurant, hairdressing or legal advice. the main street should be safe, It may affect the butchers slightly, but they both have there loyal supporters, the same with the Newsagent.

Its called progress,nobody complained when the new chemist opened at the health centre, potentially threatening 2 main street shops. Silsden is growing and the retail facilities need to grow to keep up with it.

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2014 : 18:00:49      reply with quote

On the subject of the chemists, following a visit to the doctor i decided against using the chemist in the cabin, as I was concerned it would affect the mains feet shops, on presenting my script I was told it would be ready on Friday, two days hence. When I asked if I could wait for it, the assistant replied, 'if you like. Any guesses where I go now?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2014 : 18:21:53      reply with quote

Tesco will match the opening hours of the co-op ie open to 7am-11pm, how can local shops compete?

But this is not just about the shops, did you know the Keighley Road traffic will be controlled by traffic lights, if Tesco are paying you can bet you will have to stop outside the Tesco entrance if you want to get in or out of Silsden. The south bound traffic light waiting area appears to go across the entrance to the access to Habasit/Aldi.

Please don't forget this is the gateway to the Sykes Lane proposed housing development for 200 houses - the roundabouts which apppear to be going nowhere on the Tesco plan. So the access to Tesco will get VERY busy if the store and houses get built and the resulting delay on Keighley Road will affect all of us.

If you want to put your views (for or against the Tesco application) you can also do so online here:

Bradford online planning portal
www.planning4bradford.com/online-applications/

Planning Application No 14/01059/MAF

Ref Plans:

Proposed access to Tesco off Keighley Rd via traffic lightssilsden.net/forum/forumpics/TESCO_access_14_01059_MAF-PROPOSED_SITE_PLAN-3924355.pdf

Access to Aldi off Keighley Rd
silsden.net/forum/forumpics/ALDI_access_13_04193_MAF-REVISED_SITE_ACCESS_ARRANGEMENT_WITH_ASSOCIATED_TRACK_PLOTS-3929126.pdf

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2014 : 21:18:01      reply with quote

The traffic on Keighley Road is dangerous at present, getting out of Belton Road is a real gamble most of the time, because the traffic does not stick to the 30mph limit. So anything that slows it down would be welcome, thank you happy :)

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2014 : 08:23:29      reply with quote

Lovely plans, Peter. I cannot wait until its built, 100% improvement on Shanty Town!

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2014 : 09:47:44      reply with quote

posted by skippy
go to railway road in ilkley and look at the eyesore created by Tesco. yes I mean that undeveloped land that looks no better than the old mill site they want in silsden. then make up your minds.
Skippy - You not been down to the proposed Tesco site in Silsden recently? 10 times worse than Ilkley!!
Anything would be an improvement on the current bombsite!!

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2014 : 14:29:47      reply with quote

Spanish ommlette the old fletchers mill site is a good level sight I cannot think where you mean;concrete slabs cover the main of the floor area so no weeds even so please tell where this supposed eyesore is.(that went when the tin shed was pulled down surely).

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2014 : 15:14:29      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

THIS IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT AREA AND I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THIS TOPIC SHORT. SO UNLESS YOUR COMMENT IS RELEVANT TO OBJECTING OR APPROVING THE TESCO PLANS IT WILL BE DELETED.

What the site looks like is not relevant (if you must write about the weeds start a new topic) - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Thank you, Peter

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2014 : 18:23:38      reply with quote

As I consider both of these projects economically unsound I do not expect there to be much in the way of traffic problems. There will not be enough customers to justify one/either or both.

Having said that I hope Aldi hang in long enough to give the Co-operative a wake up call, especially their excessive use of BOGOFF offers some which Aldi, so far, has avoided.

rosco
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2014 : 23:05:25      reply with quote

Now we have heard it all , Adrian Naylor blames the Tesco bid for delay in setting up the new crossing that was approved a year ago.
Who does he think he is fooling
Does this mean the crossing would have been completed and then dug up for the tour de France the put back after the race like the hump outside the Town hall,at a massive cost to the rate payers of Silsden, if the Tesco bid means the supermarket has to pay for the crossing then it saves Silsden council tax payers money and frees up money for other projects in the Town,then lets get on with it.
Shame on you Mr Naylor you can do better than that stop trying to hoodwink the towns folk of Silsden, you just don't want Tesco and we all know why.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/05/2014 : 10:44:34      reply with quote

Rosco, I think this is the article in the KN you are referring to. If you must make accusations you should at least put a reference to the information.

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/11216006.print/

This is not a reason for commenting on this thread because the upgrading of the crossing is not dependent on the Tesco application being approved. (Please see my comment above)

BTW Work on the crossing should have been started in April, the new financial year. It is unlikely to be started before the Tour de France and the real reason it might have been delayed is because Northern Gas want to dig the road up over the summer - misery again I'm afraid.

rosco
Website Member

Website Member

16/05/2014 : 15:59:41      reply with quote

Thanks for the for the Explaination Peter, I have a meeting planned next week with the powers that be, I will be supporting the Tesco bid, I like the idea Bradford are looking at ways to save ratepayers money in Silsden and this bid seems to make more and more sense each time we here about it, If Bradford can save money and jobs and allow building to create jobs lets give them the support they deserve, it sounds like the crossing would not have been done any way so if we wait approve the Tesco bid the Town wins the crossing gets done for free the sports club get their help they need and jobs come to the town , more choice for the consumer and less travel for our residance,and a saving of rate payers money,I would yes " LETS GO TO TESCO AND SAY YESCO TO TESCO " !

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

16/05/2014 : 22:10:14      reply with quote

It sounds to me that the Town is being sold to the highest bidder.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/05/2014 : 14:21:40      reply with quote

posted by rosco
Thanks for the for the Explaination Peter, I have a meeting planned next week with the powers that be, I will be supporting the Tesco bid, I like the idea Bradford are looking at ways to save ratepayers money in Silsden and this bid seems to make more and more sense each time we here about it, If Bradford can save money and jobs and allow building to create jobs lets give them the support they deserve, it sounds like the crossing would not have been done any way so if we wait approve the Tesco bid the Town wins the crossing gets done for free the sports club get their help they need and jobs come to the town , more choice for the consumer and less travel for our residance,and a saving of rate payers money,I would yes " LETS GO TO TESCO AND SAY YESCO TO TESCO " !
Touble is, what if Tesco get permission, then sit on it until they see how the retail economy goes and how many houses get built. Could end up with no Tesco even if the get permission or it could take years and they wont pay for a crossing until the shop is built.

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

18/05/2014 : 16:00:45      reply with quote

posted by rosco
I have a meeting planned next week with the powers that be, I will be supporting the Tesco bid
Mr Rosco, perhaps you should declare your interest in supporting the Tesco planning application if you are close enough to the powers that be to have a meeting with them?

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

18/05/2014 : 18:21:10      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by rosco
Touble is, what if Tesco get permission, then sit on it until they see how the retail economy goes and how many houses get built. Could end up with no Tesco even if the get permission or it could take years and they wont pay for a crossing until the shop is built.
Let's face it, Tesco, as with many other large supermarket outlets will buy prime sites, then sit on them for months, if not years. Look at Tesco stores, Ilkley. They put planning permission in , during the. 1990's. Look at the Bradford & Bingley offices, they have been empty for 20+ years , allegedly owned by a supermarket company.

Tesco recently announced a loss in market share, Morrisons lost some of theirs. Trading is NOT getting easier, the money is not flowing anything like as easy as it was. Why build more large, unprofitable stores?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/05/2014 : 18:47:55      reply with quote

posted by Peter
THIS IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT AREA AND I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THIS TOPIC SHORT. SO UNLESS YOUR COMMENT IS RELEVANT TO OBJECTING OR APPROVING THE TESCO PLANS IT WILL BE DELETED.

What the site looks like is not relevant (if you must write about the weeds start a new topic) - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I see a message cull coming on, Peter

Thank you, Peter

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

18/05/2014 : 20:27:57      reply with quote

Sorry Peter, I work for B&B and can't let this go uncorrected, please delete this later if desired.

posted by GAMEKEEPER
.... the Bradford & Bingley offices, they have been empty for 20+ years , allegedly owned by a supermarket company.
Yes bought by Sainsbury's I think, but where on earth do you get 20+ years from? Everyone moved out in 2009, that's five years ago. There is a strip of land "a ransom strip" that they needed in order to develop the site and the council took forever deciding to sell it to them.

For goodness sakes everyone get your facts straight!

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

19/05/2014 : 16:24:32      reply with quote

posted by Peter
That the site looks like is not relevant (if you must write about the weeds start a new topic) - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I see a message cull coming on
, Peter

Lets have a cull Peter, same old story same old ground, lets leave it to whoever will decide the Tesco fate now.
solid wood flooring

Replies in this thread : 20

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Proposed Development of a Tesco Store in Silsden  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to