Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Incomers

Replies in this thread : 30

Author

Topic : Incomers

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

29/05/2014 : 22:24:50      reply with quote

Wouldnt Silsden be a much happier place if those born and bred here stopped referring to new folk as incomers in a derogatory way, as if they are somehow different.
History dictates that we all have lineage to be new to a place.
Silsden will continue to change, and people will come and go, but thats no reason to differentiate people. There has never been reference to outgoers in such manner!
Make Silsden a happier place, welcome all who enter and they will remember Silsden for its kind folk if nothing else.
click for more information

bandnwire
Website Member

Website Member

29/05/2014 : 22:40:19      reply with quote

I have lived in Silsden for 47years so I am officially an offcumden, but I can truthfully say that I find it a really friendly place to live. I believe it is how you approach people yourself that counts.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 09:12:08      reply with quote

I'm an offcumden and I have lived here for over 20 years. Coming from the South it took me quite a while to come to terms with how friendly and helpful Silsden people are. Perhaps you haven't been here long enough as I have never heard the word incomers used when referring to residents not born n bread in Silsden.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 10:21:08      reply with quote

CorkyYorky your post on the general topic perhaps answers why you are not accepted here?
Live and let live, help where you can, works for me.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 10:23:02      reply with quote

Peter please stay on topic. Your comment does not help!
Incomer.....offcumden same thing throughout, and all words too commonly used in a derogatory way!

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 10:55:00      reply with quote

Grandad who says Iím not accepted here...Only you!
It transpires that you are a result of your own fate...Clearly it is you that is not accepted in the living society of Silsden as you spend too much time on here waffling on and slagging people off.
You are the epitomy of exactly the kind of person this topic is referring to.
Get a life and stop trying to make mystery for others who are keen to enhance the world and not bring this world down.
if you are such a misery I suggest you book youself into the new Silsden Health Centre, if you can pick yourself up from probably verbally knocking that down as well.
Im signing off to have a grand day.

silsden gala
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 11:03:58      reply with quote

I have only lived in Silsden 10 years so I'm deffinitly an offcumden but anyone who knows me will certainly agree I have been made very welcome. There is alus jokes about offcumdens wherever you live and I have not seen anything particulary derogatory towards any offcumdens on here. Silsden is very friendly place to live.

robin
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 13:51:03      reply with quote

Silsden has always welcomed people, many refugees who lived at the hostel, married and remained here for the rest of their lives. Silsden people have an innate sense which allows them to recognise bull sugar. Thirty years ago a couple bought a house on the perimeter of the town, and then tried to prevent any further building opposite, sighting environmental issues naturally. We saw through that one. Yes Silsden welcomes you, but don't treat us as fools.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 14:50:45      reply with quote

robin was that the one up Skipton road

midway
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 14:51:29      reply with quote

Corky Yorky your comments towards grandad are out of order. Please treat other people with respect when posting your comments, You must not post abusive, indecent, unlawful or defamatory comments. Remember you are personally liable for what you post on this site. We look forward to you offering your apologies.

robin
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 14:54:46      reply with quote

posted by victor

robin was that the one up Skipton road
No, victor, far side of Legoland

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 15:32:41      reply with quote

Not many Cobbydalers around now, most were born in Airedale Hospital or worse like myself up Fell Lane!!

Here is a bit of perspective

writerinresidence.me/an-offcumden-in-yorkshire/

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2014 : 18:17:15      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Not many Cobbydalers around now, most were born in Airedale Hospital or worse like myself up Fell Lane!!

Here is a bit of perspective

writerinresidence.me/an-offcumden-in-yorkshire/
Depends on your perspective, I like my parents and grandparents were home births in Silsden,
My daughter and eldest granddaughter were born in Airedale but came home to SILSDEN, and regard themselves as SILSDENERS, is it really necessary to be born within the sound of the church bells? They were unringable for many years............?

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 00:07:38      reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance Robin, but where might the far side of LEGOLAND be?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 06:10:49      reply with quote

the answer to legoland might cauce a rumpas as would chinatown and ramsey street areas of silsden that have had nicknames for years or a few years on some,i myself have only lived here for 43 years, but reckon im a silsdener but not a cobbydaler,these names are just local banter like any town and i live on an estate with one of the afore mentioned nameshappy :)happy :)wink ;)

victor
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 08:53:28      reply with quote

Mickyfin LEGOLAND are the houses built up Howden road junction with Ings way on the right. Two and three storey houses, some backing onto the canal.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 13:12:28      reply with quote

Well guys you live & learn. I remember the old DP buildings at the junction with Waterside, I have never heard the new houses built there being described as 'Legoland' & neither has my wife who is Silsden born & bred.

jbrare
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 15:14:46      reply with quote

Me neither. I remember the old red brick WW2 buildings, they looked far worse!

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 20:22:32      reply with quote

CorkyYorky
If your attitude to fellow Silsdeners is the same as your reply's in this thread not realy suprised people don't get on with you .

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 21:11:55      reply with quote

robin
Website Member

I think this is the earliest ref' to legoland. Taylor ave' was known as Chinatown, but i don't no why.

23/06/2006 : 12:47:30 reply with quote
How DO plans get passed. 20 years ago the development in Howden Road had to be Bungalows, the chap who built the two at the bottom could'nt get permission to put a dorma on them. Then suddenly Legoland appeared. How do plans get passed

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 23:18:18      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by midway

robin
Website Member

I think this is the earliest ref' to legoland. Taylor ave' was known as Chinatown, but i don't no why.

23/06/2006 : 12:47:30 reply with quote
How DO plans get passed. 20 years ago the development in Howden Road had to be Bungalows, the chap who built the two at the bottom could'nt get permission to put a dorma on them. Then suddenly Legoland appeared. How do plans get passed
When Taylor Avenue was built it had bright red rosemery tiled roofs which looked to be a Chinese style
solid wood flooring

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 06:06:37      reply with quote

Where Is ramsey street?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 09:02:53      reply with quote

according to a window cleaner legoland is also the name of the estate at the top of hillcrest ave and ramsey st (after the soap) is hunters meadow

midway
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 10:21:38      reply with quote

Thank's for that Boss. Now taylor ave' brings back memories of a friend who moved to Australia in the 70s ,Alan Pickles/ speedy, we worked together at Lookers in Keighley. please get in touch Alan.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 11:02:38      reply with quote

and there isnt one for middleway that i know of but ive lived at no 10 and 22 in the distant past,so i guess midway lives on therehappy :)wink ;)

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 11:39:44      reply with quote

Doggy , Victor is right about LEGOLAND and it was Dobsons that built them

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 12:48:55      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
according to a window cleaner legoland is also the name of the estate at the top of hillcrest ave and ramsey st (after the soap) is hunters meadow
I thought Hunters Meadow was Brookside after the soap of the same name

victor
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 13:10:36      reply with quote

Yes gazer I thought Hunters meadow was Brookside, and LEGOLAND was built by Dobsons of Ilkley in around 1985.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 13:16:01      reply with quote

www.brooksidesoapbox.co.uk/Wholives.htm

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 13:34:24      reply with quote

This page might be of use to those of you who are not window cleaners or Silsden delivery people happy :)

www.silsden.net/maps/silsden_streets.htm

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2014 : 15:34:32      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by gazzer
posted by dogcatcher
I thought Hunters Meadow was Brookside after the soap of the same name
yes u r right i thought it didnt sound right when i put ramsey sthappy :)

Replies in this thread : 30

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Incomers  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to