Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Annual Junior Six a Side

Replies in this thread : 52
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Annual Junior Six a Side

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

02/06/2014 : 18:08:36      reply with quote

This weekend sees the annual junior six a side with a record entry.

Long known as the premier junior competition in England this year between 14 and 16 games will be played simultaneously.

Last year 20 scouts from the Premier, Championship and first divisions attended.

Free parking on the old riverside site for over 400 cars we are hoping to keep traffic problems to a minimum.

Please come down and support us, only £3 for a family, £1 single, over 500 games, food, drink, tombola, raffle, photos, slide and bouncy castle and full bar facility.
click for more information

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2014 : 08:30:14      reply with quote

What a brilliant weekend in prospect. Very firmly putting Silsden on the map (once again!).

Also if they are any youngsters who would like to referee please report to Control no later than 9am on both Saturday and Sunday. You will be well looked after with food and drink!!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

06/06/2014 : 17:52:36      reply with quote

Of course this event will bring many visitors into Silsden and we should have volunteers in place to try their best to organise parking.
Any problems please contact the helpline

and we will do our best to sort out any problems.

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

07/06/2014 : 07:26:08      reply with quote

Thanks for the alarm call with your P A . Really wanted waking up . NOT

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

07/06/2014 : 10:11:38      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Cobydaler you miserable sod all these people have put so much work in to make this day a success for Silsden and all you can be bothered about is being woken up at 7.30 get a life

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

07/06/2014 : 19:26:00      reply with quote

posted by Cobydaler
Thanks for the alarm call with your P A . Really wanted waking up . NOT
Sorry about that Cobydaler but i was down just after 6, as we could not leave it in the marquee overnight, to set it up, and thought it was pretty quiet, i will leave it later in the morning and lower.
Was a hell of a day with all the rain and mud, hope we managed to keep the roads clear too, we did our best offering free parking for over 400.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 10:47:52      reply with quote

I see there is the usual traffic chaos caused by football supporters for the 6 a side parking on the LHS of Keighley Road, just past the traffic island.

What happened to the marshaling? You know supporters will park there, why is there not a marshal moving them on and directing them to the large parking space allocated on the Sivermantle site?

... and don't give all that abuse about doing it for Silsden, you have planned this event and it's your responsibility to organise the traffic and parking and not make the road dangerous for other road users. angryangryangryangry

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 15:26:39      reply with quote

Peter doesn't like Football club, Tesco,Aldi,Tour de France, Football club,Football club,Etc so any one blogging on here make sure you don't give any of the affore mentioned any credit

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 15:42:44      reply with quote

posted by Peter
What happened to the marshaling? You know supporters will park there, why is there not a marshal moving them on and directing them to the large parking space allocated on the Sivermantle site?
Looks like you got out of bed the wrong side again this morning Peter.

We have been organising it for 7 months properly, and at our debriefing meeting we will discuss all the points where we can improve and do our plan for 2015.

We asked 22 teams x minimum 8 players managers and parents for help and all the key jobs were responded to as a yes, they would help.

We can not legislate for the 90% not turning up.

I had over 2 hours asking people to move on, 5 refused and became abusive and 3 put blue badges on their dashboards.

I think Cobydaler could vouch for the fact we made a dozen or more requests for people to move their cars, not much gets passed him that`s tannoyed.

We also asked for a fine weekend Peter, but again, no one must have listened and look what happened yesterday.

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 17:14:08      reply with quote

Cobydaler, your quiet now bet your thinking ,wish I hadn't put that on now was only on for a laugh ,it was till Peter thought he had some support against the thousand or so folk that turned up to support Silsden A F C annual fund raiser come on don't knock the football club ,its there for your children and grand children to enjoy

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 18:38:49      reply with quote

posted by Peter
I see there is the usual traffic chaos caused by football supporters for the 6 a side parking on the LHS of Keighley Road, just past the traffic island.

... and don't give all that abuse about doing it for Silsden, you have planned this event and it's your responsibility to organise the traffic and parking and not make the road dangerous for other road users. angryangryangryangry

To be fair when we can not legally enforce the Road Traffic Act we do our best.Our helpers are advised NOT to get too involved with people who do not listen.Its better to let the police/traffic wardens deal with people by ticketing which they did this weekend.
I would like to invite you down next year just for an hour to show our marshals how to deal with members of the public which would stand us in good stead for future years.

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 21:10:32      reply with quote

Floyd
Reason for being quiet , simple at work . As for my post , yeaterday was the 1 chance for a lie in so no i don't regret it .

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 21:23:56      reply with quote

I think Peter makes a fair case. Its alright Gazzer and the Football Club stating you can’t enforce the Road Traffic Act...but if the club had provided adequate parking, for cars, coaches and disabled bays when they built the new club house etc your supporters, players, refs etc shouldn’t need to park on any roadside.

Why cannot the poxy new car park be simply utilised for disabled folk or those with babies on match days? What policy does the football club have inplace to encourage local folk not to use cars when at home?

I think the football club really needs to start thinking of how it manages transport to its games. When are they going to be serious about the issues it creates for itself, in terms of marshalling, and its wider implications to the traffic in and out of Silsden? Come on get your act together...our community is suffering and unhappy with you!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/06/2014 : 23:48:41      reply with quote

posted by CorkyYorky
..but if the club had provided adequate parking, for cars, coaches and disabled bays when they built the new club house etc your supporters, players, refs etc shouldn’t need to park on any roadside.

We have an agreement with the agent to allow use of the former Riverside mill with 400 car parking spaces. So please tell me given that how can we force people to not park on Keighley Road.

All visting teams are asked not to park on Keighley Rd both on matchdays and on the juniors website.

A bit surprised people have a problem with the football club but not todays car boot sale which also has visitors parking on Kly Rd

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

09/06/2014 : 08:54:06      reply with quote

posted by Floyd
Peter doesn't like Football club, Tesco,Aldi,Tour de France, Football club,Football club,Etc so any one blogging on here make sure you don't give any of the affore mentioned any credit
Floyd you are out of order. My comment was about the lack of marshaling of the traffic on Keighley Road which allowed your supporter to park on the pavement opposite the entrance to the football ground.

On Sunday there was a lot of traffic, including many cyclist, using Keighley Road and the parking by the inconsiderate made this section of the road very dangerous. I used this road at 9.30am and 11.15am on Sunday, on both occasions I saw football supporters, just arrived, parking up on the pavement opposite the ground, there was not a marshal in sight - where were you?

If you put on these events then the main road and the safety of the users of the road must not and should not be compromised. I would expect some slight inconvenience with people turning into car parks but I do not expect to have to negotiate cars parked on the pavement making it a blind bend and forcing me potentially into the path of oncoming traffic.

Sort it out please, this is not the first time this problem has been highlighted.

This is NOT about the parking along the ground side of Keighley Road which on Sunday was acceptable but the parking on the pavement opposite the ground entrance.

If you can't marshal the traffic yourselves I suggest you contact Keighley Venture Scouts who will offer their services at a price.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/06/2014 : 22:06:26      reply with quote

posted by Peter
posted by Floyd
Floyd you are out of order. My comment was about the lack of marshaling of the traffic on Keighley Road which allowed your supporter to park on the pavement opposite the entrance to the football ground.

On Sunday there was a lot of traffic, including many cyclist, using Keighley Road and the parking by the inconsiderate made this section of the road very dangerous. I used this road at 9.30am and 11.15am on Sunday, on both occasions I saw football supporters, just arrived, parking up on the pavement opposite the ground, there was not a marshal in sight - where were you?

If you put on these events then the main road and the safety of the users of the road must not and should not be compromised. I would expect some slight inconvenience with people turning into car parks but I do not expect to have to negotiate cars parked on the pavement making it a blind bend and forcing me potentially into the path of oncoming traffic.

Sort it out please, this is not the first time this problem has been highlighted.

This is NOT about the parking along the ground side of Keighley Road which on Sunday was acceptable but the parking on the pavement opposite the ground entrance.

If you can't marshal the traffic yourselves I suggest you contact Keighley Venture Scouts who will offer their services at a price.

So someone gets asked by a marshall not to park in a certain place and refuses but would move on if asked to by a venture scout?. Interesting theory but I doubt it would work.

When our first team moved back to Silsden occasionally parking would be a hot topic on here.
We had meetings with West Yorkshire Police and can assure you we do more than we legally are allowed to do. But on moral grounds we always look to do more.

However if I pluck up courage I will ask West Yorkshire Police their views on scouts policing the public highway and if they agree its a good idea we will look at it.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

09/06/2014 : 23:27:35      reply with quote

Excuses, excuses. The fact remains on both occasions when I saw someone actually parking on the pavement there wasn't an official marshal in sight to explain the error of their ways.

In a previous post it was pointed out the reason three cars were parked on the pavement was because the owners of the cars had blue badges (disabled?) why on these occasions is the car park by the club not reserved just for the disabled?

If the sivermantle site is built on at some point what car parking will you have for these events? Perhaps you can park them on the promised all weather pitches?

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 05:53:33      reply with quote

Peter you certainly have lost the plot!!
Not many car parks I know have disabled parking only for 30+ spaces - not even your large supermarkets!
Your original gripe was that cars were arriving at 9:30am and 11:30am. Considering that ALL the junior matches kicked off at 9:30am, it may have been quite possible that the 11:30am time was not the footballers at all!! Marshals were on duty both days up until 9:45am (by which time 99% of people had arrived) and enjoying another well organised tournament (the 17th year on the trot - so where was your griping/moaning [call it what you want!] for the last 16?)

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 07:33:55      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by Peter
Excuses, excuses. The fact remains on both occasions when I saw someone actually parking on the pavement there wasn't an official marshal in sight to explain the error of their ways.

In a previous post it was pointed out the reason three cars were parked on the pavement was because the owners of the cars had blue badges (disabled?) why on these occasions is the car park by the club not reserved just for the disabled?

If the sivermantle site is built on at some point what car parking will you have for these events? Perhaps you can park them on the promised all weather pitches?

The car park did have less abled drivers but the risk assessment limits the spaces to allow free access for emergency vehicles to the playing areas.I have asked Bradford Council for disabled parking bays by the entrance and double yellow lines all the way to Steeton on the opposite side of the road but at the moment they do not have the money.

I was onsite all day both days and the tannoy announcements even giving reg numbers asking people to move their cars was repetative.
If Silvermantle is built on we will ask if we can use the field opposite as we used to before using the mill site.

The police were in attendence and giving out tickets and will no doubt give feedback to us and the council if they feel they need to.

If you saw someone parking on the path why did you not ask them to move or ring the police non emergency number 101?Or the Silsden AFC traffic helpline number provided on this thread?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 08:03:39      reply with quote

If you listen to Radio Leeds travel news on matchdays during the football season you will hear something like this

"There is football at Elland Road today so if you can avoid the area do so, and if not expect delays"

The club,council and the police do everything they can but some disruption happens.

I doubt such minor potential disruption that we have would make Radio Leeds travel news but advance warning was given on this thread so im surprised anyone who saw the warning was not prepared for slight delays.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 08:10:19      reply with quote

Traffic problems in Manchester this weekend and this statement is telling

"Greater Manchester Police confirmed they had received calls about the chaos, but said they were unable to help - adding that traffic management around the Trafford Centre was an issue for the council."

Perhaps any anger at parking is directed at selfish drivers and the council rather than hard working football club volunteer's

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ideal-home-exhibition-trafford-centre-7232798
solid wood flooring

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 08:12:49      reply with quote

Venture Scouts are now Explorer scouts and there are none in Keighley

https://keighleyscouts.org.uk/groups.php

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 08:17:27      reply with quote

posted by Peter
Excuses, excuses. The fact remains on both occasions when I saw someone actually parking on the pavement there wasn't an official marshal in sight to explain the error of their ways.In a previous post it was pointed out the reason three cars were parked on the pavement was because the owners of the cars had blue badges (disabled?) why on these occasions is the car park by the club not reserved just for the disabled?
Following protocol and having been chastised in the past for placing posts in the wrong place I purposely placed this post on the events page.

2 Reasons for this, to abide by the recommendations laid out and tell the local people what we were organising;
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION AREA, Any comments posted after event information may be deleted.
HOWEVER, additional information will be permitted (eg information updates, thanks, results etc.).

And secondly to stop aggressive cynics, like you Peter, forever knocking anything you do not like or agree with.

Please try practising what you preach and give all voluntary hard working people a chance.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 15:56:12      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

posted by gazzer

We have an agreement with the agent to allow use of the former Riverside mill with 400 car parking spaces. So please tell me given that how can we force people to not park on Keighley Road.

Its simple Gazzer.....You tell them that if they don’t park where you have accomodated for them..then they can’t get in to the event.
Am I right to think you would rather upset the through traffic and Silsden Folk...than a few of your tribe!

rosco
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 17:35:14      reply with quote

Hang on boys, you all have too much time on your hands, how many times in a weekend do you pass Keighley road, the event is once a year and its a great way of calming people down from rushing around it makes our roads safer for the people who walk and ride theire bikes.Get off the backs at least they put in to the community.
Silsden AFC are victims of their own success,if you think last weekend was a problem just wait and see what happens with the Tour comes to town then the rock fest before you start having a moan.
I would get your houses up for sale and move up to the moor with the rest of the sheep, if you dont like it move !

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 18:31:09      reply with quote

posted by CorkyYorky
posted by gazzer

Its simple Gazzer.....You tell them that if they don’t park where you have accomodated for them..then they can’t get in to the event.
Am I right to think you would rather upset the through traffic and Silsden Folk...than a few of your tribe!
You aint seen me when im on traffic patrol. Im actually a gentle giant but sometimes my physical presence helps people decide where to park.When my dad was wheelchair bound I had some cracking stand up rows in supermarket car parks with non orange(as was) badge holders. If they didnt have a badge and their were no spaces left I used to block them in.
I would quite happily shop to the police anyone parked unreasonably at the football ground if they refused to move.Im a fully paid up grumpy old man nowadays after years of practice.

In terms of Silsden AFC we do everything we can legally and more besides. We always look at doing more. But it has to be reasonable.
How big a problem is it really though. I have been to over 2,000 professional football games and many more non league games. I have been to concerts and festivals,race meetings from Skipton to York & Aintree.Xmas sales and shopping centre openings,Silsden Gala,Finningley Air show and Blackpool illuminations. Blackpool eh..when we were kids sat in a traffic queue still miles away in Preston with the engine boiling over in dads Vauxhall Victor.I have seen every aspect of bad driving,parking,decision making out there.If you think traffic around this event is a major problem you may need to get out more.
I appreciate that some selfish drivers can not park correctly like the other 99.9% that do.A pity you do not appreciate a band of unpaid volunteers do their best to put on this event

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 19:52:22      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

Gazzer
I know you volunteers do a great job in giving your time to others. I also think that you personally should be commended for your bravery in attempts to control others to play by the rules. You must be a true Yorkshireman; If not then I will reccomend you personally for the White Rose Certificate of Achievement!
In common I am also a grumpy XXXXXX. I think we should have a topic for grumpy persons only.

Anyway back to this topic.
Your right there are worst traffic problems to be seen. The tour de France will be barmy for sure, but this is not a regular event. We also have recently had a significant car accident outside your grounds due to a badly parked car and I thought that the club would now be active in looking at ways in which to prevent accidents. You state “we are always looking at doing more” keep it up... this isnt an unreasonable request!
I feel it fair to say that you (Silsden AFC) are only part of the traffic problem effecting Silsden.
Please dont feel that I’m getting at you personally....well not yet anyhow!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 20:37:50      reply with quote

posted by CorkyYorky
Gazzer
I know you volunteers do a great job in giving your time to others. I also think that you personally should be commended for your bravery in attempts to control others to play by the rules. You must be a true Yorkshireman; If not then I will reccomend you personally for the White Rose Certificate of Achievement!
In common I am also a grumpy XXXXXX. I think we should have a topic for grumpy persons only.

Anyway back to this topic.
Your right there are worst traffic problems to be seen. The tour de France will be barmy for sure, but this is not a regular event. We also have recently had a significant car accident outside your grounds due to a badly parked car and I thought that the club would now be active in looking at ways in which to prevent accidents. You state “we are always looking at doing more” keep it up... this isnt an unreasonable request!
I feel it fair to say that you (Silsden AFC) are only part of the traffic problem effecting Silsden.
Please dont feel that I’m getting at you personally....well not yet anyhow!
Are you sure that car was actually there at the time of that accident?.I do not think it was. But I would not have left a car that long..surprised it was not broken in to.It was though parked 100% legally.I am not aware of any accidents whilst the road has football related cars parked there, in fact most accidents on Keighley Road appear to be speed related. Reducing the speed limit from 60 to 40mph didnt make any difference.When cars are parked it seems to slow drivers down.

Like I have said I would love the council to help by putting double yellow lines opposite the ground.I have talked to them but they dont have the money.I would rather they sort out historically more dangerous roads first like Bell Sq. That aint going to happen so we have no chance.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 22:15:30      reply with quote

Same old excuses trotted out see

Post 15/09/2013
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=5748

MBR
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 23:16:18      reply with quote

Only a couple of points to make
1/ Well done to one and all (volunteers ) involved in the football tournament - great for the town and all the youngsters alike.
2/For crying out loud , can the negative element who frequent this site just 'pipe down' for once??? - can not believe any traffic congestion caused was any worst than on a normal day in the town centre - I drove past several times over the weekend and didn't encounter any real issues.
Afraid any event of this nature will cause some inconvenience - lets just see the ranting's that (next great event which will put silsden on the map )silsdenfeast will cause.....

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 23:20:25      reply with quote

posted by Peter
Same old excuses trotted out see

Post 15/09/2013
Not a good example. You started this previous thread. I thought only Kim Jong-un had the roads forcebly clear before he drove down it.

Back to this thread you have mentioned. You were held up that day because a drunk driver crashed the previous evening totally unconected with the football club and having been arrested left the car blocking the road.
Heard all the complaints before. Best was cars blocking the path for whellchairs/pushchairs by the cricket pitch which actually made me laugh. Just a few yards further down the road by a lampost the path is 14" wide.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 23:46:43      reply with quote

Were always open for suggestions but its not as straight forward as some people think.
Here is one suggestion we took up

Peter
Website Member
Website Member

17/09/2008 : 15:25:54 reply with quote
Parking along the road by the football / cricket ground - is it so difficult to put a notice up to remind supporters that parking on the pavement is illegal? Do you have to have a committee meeting to write the information on a A3 piece of paper and put it by the entrance to the ground?

We have put permanent notices on both sides of the road but people take no notice

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

10/06/2014 : 23:53:28      reply with quote

When there is an accident caused by inconsiderate parking outside the football ground entrance whose fault will it be? Judging by the comments on this forum it will definitely not be any fault of Silsden AFC.

My point on the Post 15/09/2013

...was this was again a parking problem caused by a lack of traffic management when Silsden AFC put on an event.

That thread like this one will still be here to read in a years time so we will see if all the promises to improve the situation will be acted on.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/06/2014 : 00:00:41      reply with quote

We have put permanent notices on both sides of the road but people take no notice
That is not what I suggested.

The signs being pinned to the wall are red, small, and not on the drivers side when the vehicle is parked. I'm not surprised nobody takes any notice of them, I doubt is they saw them.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/06/2014 : 00:36:00      reply with quote

posted by Peter
When there is an accident caused by inconsiderate parking outside the football ground entrance whose fault will it be? Judging by the comments on this forum it will definitely not be any fault of Silsden AFC.

Legally it will not be the fault of Silsden AFC.It would be the inconsiderate driver.I once had my wing mirror knocked off outside the chemist because someone was parked half on the footpath to let someone get some cash from Nat West cashpoint.Maybe I should have complained that Nat West didnt have any marshalls outside moving the car on!!!

I would be confident we could prove we have done everything reasonably possible. We pass a strict ground grading every year which includes looking at parking.
Part of doing everything reasonably possible means looking to see if anything could be improved.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/06/2014 : 00:45:35      reply with quote

posted by Peter
That is not what I suggested.

The signs being pinned to the wall are red, small, and not on the drivers side when the vehicle is parked. I'm not surprised nobody takes any notice of them, I doubt is they saw them.
You said we should put signs up so we did. Of course they are not on the drivers side..that would be the middle of the road.Now they are the wrong size.It would not matter what we do it will never be enough. I think you really want to see the end of football at Keighley Road.
Thats it im off here now, it is just going round in circles.

Replies in this thread : 52
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Annual Junior Six a Side  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to