Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to For Sale / Wanted | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > For Sale / Wanted > PROPOSED NEW SCHOOL

Replies in this thread : 33

Author

Topic : PROPOSED NEW SCHOOL

ella
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2014 : 13:29:23      reply with quote

Received letter from Hothfield
advising council are looking to create a new school
to replace Aire View and Hothfield

would this be necessary if kids from other areas were not admitted into the school?

Anyway just to make local people aware of proposal
another great idea to expand silsden not when will they realise we are villagers and most of us want to stay that way
the way we are expanding we will be joining keighley
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2014 : 13:40:13      reply with quote

does it say where the school will be located? there has been land earmarked for a school for years up banklands area.By the way silsden is a town not a village

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2014 : 14:20:48      reply with quote

i think they've built houses on that land now...

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2014 : 15:42:05      reply with quote

Forward planning by Bradford Council to allow thousands of new houses to be built

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2014 : 17:39:11      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
i think they've built houses on that land now...
No they haven't. The field that was allocated for an infant school is the one below Drabble Farm (fenced off by the council some years ago) and previously known as 'the dog walking field', It used to have rugby posts on it.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2014 : 18:37:15      reply with quote

I was talking about the field that was original talked about building a secondary school on before silsden kids started going to south craven and they stopped using hothfield street. Thats before it was used to house the upper part of the infants school as is now.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 10:17:55      reply with quote

As both schools are now in a good central location would it not be a thought to either add another story to what we have now or use a mezzanine floor?

It could have dormer or roof lights added.

They are both pretty tall buildings and how many more classrooms would we need?

I would have thought the criteria of needing more room and having a central access to the village must go hand in glove.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 10:23:41      reply with quote

Ella what does the letter say exactly? can you post it on here

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 10:37:44      reply with quote

Listener,
Both schools have limited playing areas - don't our children deserve space to play as well as learn.

If anyone would like to email me a copy of the letter I will make it available for all to read. This is not something which only concerns parents of school age children. Don't forget South Craven is over subscribed and there are lots of places at Greenhead.

ella
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 13:35:51      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

school letter is very brief
doesn't say when our where
simply states discussions are about to take place
i will try send you a copy peter

I forgot we have a town hall
village or town - tradition and local ways not bradford council ways I believe are much better change is not always for the best.
I am not just a person with school aged children, I attended the both the schools, so did my dad and grandad a like.
I attended the centenary celebrations at Hothfield a few weeks ago - seems a bit weird to celebrate then say hey lets close it down.
You only have to look at Steeton Primary school to see what extension of the silsden schools would do.
It's not for the local people its for the outsiders who want in along with the house builds and where will our childrens education go down hill thats where.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 14:18:23      reply with quote

THE LETTER
silsden.net/forum/docs/Gov_letter_to_parents.pdf

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 16:21:13      reply with quote

What we need is a New Secondary School Building in Silsden.
Its outrageous Silsden Children have to travel to South Craven or Keighley.
The council sold us down the river 48 years ago and our Kids are still suffering.
The town is big enough for its own Secondary school.
As for Aire view and Hothfield street these were much better built than modern schools. the one I work in is only 11 years old, and it is not a patch on Aire view. The new extensions on both schools highlight this point.

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 16:21:31      reply with quote

At last! We all know that the new houses are coming so its great to see Brad Met are thinking ahead and are planning the necessary infra structure in advance.

Should we not be pressing for a new secondary school too? Its a shame that our children have to be bussed to Crosshills or Keighley at present and the local shops could do with their spending in the town.

And when will Brad Met announce the route of our new by-pass? As well as schools we need new roads to meet the towns expansion!

d and

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 16:25:59      reply with quote

One would hope that Bradford Council intend to take into consideration, in their feasibility study, the inevitable vastly increased traffic levels that will 'clog-up' the Clog Bridge junction during the 'school-runs'. Or do they envisage a connecting road onto Banklands. Now that would popular. As for the existing schools, presumably they will be demolished & replaced by housing. Again creating increased traffic levels at the Elliot Street & Bell Square junctions. All food for thought.

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 21:19:15      reply with quote

With a new by-pass the traffic along Bolton Road would drop dramatically so access to Banklands would be no problem. If the Eastern by-pass route is chosen then Banklands Lane might even have a direct connection to the new road - lucky you - you house price would be set to rocket as it would be a sort after area for commuting!

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 22:03:34      reply with quote

I think it would be great to have a new school, as long as its not an academy!
The present schools are also great but are really at the end of their life and need modernising.

Peter is absolutely right to stress that "Both schools have limited playing areas - don't our children deserve space to play as well as learn”.

With our present schools and with their adhoc expansions and proposed temporary buildings have eaten into valuable play space. Our children deserve to have open green space to play and enjoy modern games in.

Like I have said the present schools I know are great but I do have strong reservations that should my children attend these schools then ‘green’ play space is virtually none. Silsden is rural and we must encourage that view.

We can have development but only that which is sensitive to a rural environment NOT the Urban perspective.

WE must look forward not inward for our answers.
I think the Tesco site would be ideal for a school, preferably with a swimming pool!

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 22:05:26      reply with quote

There are huge advantages of a combined primary in Silsden.

Financially the running costs per pupil of a combined primary are substantially lower than having two separate Infant & Junior Schools. Silsden is the only area in the whole of the Bradford district that has separate schools and is penalised heavily on the funding side of things with no worthwhile allowances made for the two separate schools. The lower cost per head on running costs will free up additional funding for additional teaching resources and smaller class sizes.

Even though the schools work closely together there are two separate and independent strategies on the curriculum and how things are taught. Children are assessed at KS1 when they leave Aire View and although no one would ever admit to it, there is a personal interest for Aire View to ensure the highest assessment is made for each child. As a result Hothfield will re-assess children when they move up into Yr 3 to provide their own assessment of where each child sits on their academic abilities. A single school will ensure continuity throughout the entire delivery of the curriculum from Nursery right the way through to the end of year 6.

With regards to the quality of build of modern schools the issue is one for the local authority. Most of the schools that were built under the BSF programme in the area have had their own problems with the quality of workmanship. The reason for this is that works are awarded to the lowest bidder. The main contractor is appointed primarily on cost. They are released on a design and build programme therefore main contractors understandably will then cut corners wherever they feel they can to reduce costs. It should be the local authority that monitors more closely what is going on from the initial ground works right through to the last bolt, lick of paint and fit out to make sure the original design and specification has been maintained.

The best place for a combined primary in Silsden is the area located by the old Weavestyle building. The area is available and large enough to accommodate a new school and is close enough to the sports fields to provide shared facilities. A new school in this location could provide additional community resources for sports and leisure (swimming pool, sports halls etc) that would provide additional funding and a resource locally keeping people in the town. Improved transport links, paths, cycle ways etc would further enhance the south end of the town. Once up and running, the existing position of both schools could then be released for development of lower cost housing in the heart of the village.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2014 : 22:05:43      reply with quote

just a thought what about the tesco site for a new school if tesco dont get planning or pullout,surely its large enough.

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2014 : 00:26:06      reply with quote

More Brad Met spin ??? . Why all of a sudden is a new school being talked about when there has been no mention of one before . Or is it a case of , "Just let us build our houses & you can have a bright shiny new school " . As for " And when will Brad Met announce the route of our new by-pass? As well as schools we need new roads to meet the towns expansion! " Silsden was never going to get a By-pass . Brad Met called it a By-pass thinking we would never see through their deception ( an access road cannot be classed as a By-pass ) . I smell somthing fishy in the air .

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

26/07/2014 : 22:06:09      reply with quote

No I don't think it's spin or propaganda!
It makes sense in what any normal person or business would do....test the waters or find out people's views !

Look at today's recent article which backs up my theory 100%
www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28485818

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

31/07/2014 : 22:25:33      reply with quote

This idea is just typical of Bradford Council. What we need is a community backed plan for the future of the town. Instead all they do is come up with piecemeal ideas with a bit here, something there. nothing long term ever comes out of City Hall
solid wood flooring

babba100
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2014 : 17:38:42      reply with quote

I wonder where it will be , thats my thought!

I hope the firestation and Youth Club/Daisy Chain are not at risk

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2014 : 11:35:30      reply with quote

If this is a genuine proposal?
Then I think the old weave style site down Keighley road would not be a good idea, too far away from homes and down a very busy road with lots of junctions for the kids to cross to get there.
One suggestion which I am sure will raise lots of objections! Would be to build any new school on the first field behind Woodside Road next to the allotments, it should be a large enough school to include plenty of space to expand and provide large areas for a sports field.
This would block them building yet more unwanted houses on that site, the old school sites could be then used for affordable housing close to the Town centre.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2014 : 15:59:32      reply with quote

Keighley road has got to be the obvious choice,please let's not loose anymore green fields.

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

04/08/2014 : 23:57:35      reply with quote

The Keighley Road site is by far the best site. Could I suggest that people take time out to look at the position of the Cottingley Primary School and realise that a school slightly outside of the village isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as access routes are improved, crossings are clear and that a large vehicle access area is available with good access to and from the main road. Don't kid yourselves, a lot of children now travel to school by car and it's a miracle that there hasn't been a major accident yet around the present school buildings.

Children from the West side of the village would have the canal bridge to go over without having to cross the main road. Maybe access could be provided via Sykes Lane but failing that it's only a couple of hundred yards along hopefully improved pathways with restricted traffic speeds which would allow safe transit. The children from the East side of the village could access by coming down Belton Road with a new crossing or even a covered bridge over the road.

The site is large enough to accommodate the School, provide access to the green playing areas and provide shared resources for the community.

One thing is for sure - not to do anything will be extremely detrimental to the future children of Silsden.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 16:55:52      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
just a thought what about the tesco site for a new school if tesco dont get planning or pullout,surely its large enough.
Seems the most obvious choice to me too. Maybe an Aldi academy!!

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 18:32:19      reply with quote

Maybe Tesco should get into providing schools on the many sites they own or have interest in...They might have a better chance of getting public support and planning!

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 20:31:10      reply with quote

So problem solved. The new school site is to be next to a maim road with traffic volumes scheduled to grow and opposite a new supermarket on the other side of the road.

No worries - we will all drive our little monsters there and back in our big 4x4s. Pity about the pollution and the extra traffic congestion....

So what about those with no cars? Maybe single parent families or those on low income. They can walk to and from the school along narrow pavements - they don't matter do they? So much for the caring society - I'm all right Jack....Once again Silsden shows its contempt for the less fortunate.

No idea where the school would best be sited but I would like my children to be able to walk or cycle to school in reasonable safety with the site far away from the noise and fumes of a major through route.

Of course if we had a by-pass then the Keighley road site might have some merit...

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 23:59:00      reply with quote

In my earlier thread I did mention that traffic calming measures and improved paths etc would be needed, in addition to improved crossings and maybe even a footbridge.

I don't have a 4x4 and when my children attended Aireview and Hothfield (only a couple of years ago)they would walk to school (the site I am proposing is about the same distance - 10 - 15 minutes max) but the school would be such an improvement in facilities and opportunities for the children of the village an extra 5 minute walk for those who presently have the school on their doorstep is a small price to pay.

Why do people always throw up problems without offering solutions to a problem. This isn't an 'I'm all right jack' throw away suggestion - take a look on Google and look to see where else in Silsden is available or suitable. Alternatively come up with a radical idea for a new school that can offer the facilities that all the other modern primary schools in the area have to offer. Alternatively stick with what we have and come up with another solution for the increased numbers that are to be expected in future years - pupil numbers are expected to rise from the existing population never mind having to allow for any projected increases from any future housing programmes in the area.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 07:14:47      reply with quote

Davidaloud another option would be up Bolton road on the right, because a lot of the new housing is going up there. A pelican crossing would slow down the traffic and help the Bell square problem, and we could have a 20mph speed limit from the pelican crossing to the canal bridge.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 07:39:19      reply with quote

posted by victor
Davidaloud another option would be up Bolton road on the right, because a lot of the new housing is going up there. A pelican crossing would slow down the traffic and help the Bell square problem, and we could have a 20mph speed limit from the pelican crossing to the canal bridge.
Victor
Have you not thought about the HUGE Visual Impact a school up Bolton Road would have?
Not to mention the difficulties of constructing on a slope and the significant costs involved!!

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 10:34:32      reply with quote

Tesco are planning on building houses on a lot of sites they own, there was an article in the paper recently saying that a lot of the land they have in their landbank will be used for housing developments, apparently they have already done this in some areas, so maybe they would like to build a school instead of a supermarket.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 10:40:19      reply with quote

Tesco do not own the Riverside site and would only do so if the current owner gained planning permission for a supermarket

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 14:28:02      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Tesco do not own the Riverside site and would only do so if the current owner gained planning permission for a supermarket
Gazzer do you know something us general folk don’t about this site?

Replies in this thread : 33

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > For Sale / Wanted > PROPOSED NEW SCHOOL  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to