Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Traffic

Replies in this thread : 30

Author

Topic : Traffic

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2014 : 21:56:38      reply with quote

Has anybody else noticed the huge improvement in Kirkgate with the current traffic regime in operation?

With no parked cars the vehicles are flowing smoothly through the town and with a 50% reduction in volume it's returned our high street to something approaching attractive. (Although poor Dradishaw road is suffering)

Think what it could be like with a by-pass! Let's press to get rid of all the through traffic for ever. Then at last it would make sense to talk about 'saving' the shops in Kirkgate. Even the idiotic idea of siting our new junior school on Keighley Road might have some merit as it would become much safer for our children.

It's crazy that we accept our town is bisected by a major main road which allows commuters from elsewhere to import their noise pollution and congestion, with the only traffic 'management' being the idea of allowing cars to park and obstruct the flow.
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2014 : 22:00:05      reply with quote

I think you will find that from past traffic surveys, the majority of traffic is local.I think a one way system will be the way forward and a ban on hgv's and lose a couple of parking spaces by the phone box because its too narrow there.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2014 : 22:21:02      reply with quote

Banning HGV's and making NO Parking in Kirkgate would transform the town, it makes sense, but for some reason the opinion is that it is good to slow traffic to a crawl, increase pollution, and create havoc sometimes. No one will ever grasp this nettle, so we must continue to suffer....but it is good at the moment to see what can be achieved, even if it's road works that do it!

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

05/08/2014 : 22:28:40      reply with quote

Yes it may be a lot more quite through the main street at the moment but it is not the answer to have a bypass as traffic would travel too fast through the the main street making it a far more dangerous place and a bypass would end with all the shops in silsden closing as 95% of silsden residents today do not shop in silsden so the traders have to rely on the passing trade so it is not that simple

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 07:32:34      reply with quote

Whilst I can see the reasoning behind the comments on the subject of one way system etc. we need to take into account the effect on the roads that are being used. I went out twice yesterday, the roads which are being used were absolute bedlam, not constructed to take the volume that was going through as they are little more than side roads, accidents waiting to happen with some car drivers motoring at speed. Skipton Road was like playing hop scotch, with Elliott St. fairing no better. Hope this situation soon resolves as it must be awful for the folk living on the new route.
Oh, and by the way, I'm all for stopping parking on Kirkgate, too daft for words, no other small town or village as parking on the through roads. There is a car park very handy, just needs a bit of leg work added into the trip.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 10:10:26      reply with quote

It would be great to have a bypass but I have been reliably told that we are not going to get one in the next 30 years, so we have to look at other options and not keep going on about a bypass.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 10:46:18      reply with quote

posted by hillbilly
Yes it may be a lot more quite through the main street at the moment but it is not the answer to have a bypass as traffic would travel too fast through the the main street making it a far more dangerous place and a bypass would end with all the shops in silsden closing as 95% of silsden residents today do not shop in silsden so the traders have to rely on the passing trade so it is not that simple
If you look at Crosshills, they do not have parking in the main street, they have a 20 mph limit, and they do not have traffic speeding through the town...sorry, false argument to me. And the shops in Crosshills seem to trade well.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 10:55:57      reply with quote

Forgot to mention Crosshills also have pedestrian controlled crossings so they can cross safely...time for Silsden to have a re-think?

victor
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 11:02:00      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Dexter you also forgot the 20 mph limit is needed because there is no roadside parking to slow the traffic.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 11:34:47      reply with quote

No problem Dexter i rest my case best left for you townies to sort it out between you as us poor hillbillies are not used to all that traffic living on a 45 acre farm in the middle of nowhere with only B roads to tootle round

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 14:50:35      reply with quote

I'm giving up as well, time for a cup of tea and a biscuit, life's too short

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 16:48:26      reply with quote

So far the increase of traffic on the back roads, Elliot Street, Dradishaw Road etc. is quite noticeable the absence of other than local HGVs makes it quite acceptable. As far as I can see the main local people affected by the detour are probably those living off and up Bolton Road. It would be interesting to find out how they think.

There are a number of ways that traffic down a permanent one way Kirgate could be controlled. Obviously a 20 mph limit and maybe a chicane or two.

One interesting solution I have heard of is to remove the pavements and make the whole area pedestrian through which traffic can move. Best place to see something like this is Manchester where the trams run down what is basically a pedestrian area. OK, they are big and yellow (although until recently they were blue). Also being in tracks avoiding is straight forward. However is does demonstrate that people and moving vehicles can share the same space.

Hopefully attitudes towards cars is changing and their god like status will wane, but I am not expecting any big changes soon.

Johnboy53
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 19:59:14      reply with quote

This is fine what you are all saying about the traffic flowing freely, I live on Hothfield St and it is like a racetrack from 7 in the morning till 8 at night, its a good job the school is closed the speed the traffic comes past it

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

06/08/2014 : 20:19:34      reply with quote

The comment was about the smooth flow of southbound traffic down Kirkgate with no parked cars causing an obstruction and 50% of the traffic volume removed. None of the contributors have questioned that the environment on our main street is hugely improved - if only temporarily.

I have great sympathy for the residents in Elliot Street, Dradishaw Road and Skipton Road who have had the northboaund traffic dumped on them. Proof if it was needed that the permanent one way system idea is a non starter.

We need to get the trough traffic out of our town for good - and that means a by-pass. Meanwhile it looks like we have some agreement to banish parking from Kirkgate.

And if there really are people out there who think that our current High Street is a 'go to' shopping destination perhaps they will be attracted even more by a much improved shopping experience - without all the traffic!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 10:03:39      reply with quote

DEAR MR GASMAN

Can we have some cones (to stop parking) put outside the dentist please?

The locals are using New Road - Hothfield Street as a shortcut to go North and the cars parked outside the dentist on Skipton Road make the exit from Hothfield Street blind. It's not a safe exit at the best of times but with the diversion it is now very dangerous.

Thank you.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 10:22:45      reply with quote

I think its fantastic that hgv,s have been banned from silsden, I hope our town council will now do everything in its power to get a permanent ban, after all this scheme shows it is viable.I was surprised to see people coming out of Elliot street, I thought that road was a one way only while the work is going on.Clog bridge is also much easier to get out of, although there are cars still turning right there for some reason.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 15:38:53      reply with quote

well, I have just been into silsden, and was amazed to see a silly couple in a red car drive along the main street, I thought they would be turning up new road but oh no, they carried straight on into the path of a car coming the other way, so they had to reverse back!!If you cannot see that the road is closed you should not be driving!!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 16:39:31      reply with quote

gingo, HGVs have not been band from Silsden, they have only been band from going North, this was asked for by the Town Council; when they were told a complete ban was not being allowed

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 17:03:14      reply with quote

i say bring back the horse and cart (Life is good)

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 17:15:00      reply with quote

Lunch time, 3 cyclists rode up the Main St. loads of cars that obviously knew the short cut up New Rd. All with riders/drivers old enough to know better!! Add to that the number of folk on mobiles and others no seat belt. The police could have a field day.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 20:10:54      reply with quote

what police !!!
solid wood flooring

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

07/08/2014 : 20:21:07      reply with quote

any one can go up the main st to go up new road as thats the only legal way in,as its one way, but ive seen a few coming down half way past the one way no entry sign onto the estate since the roadworkssad :(

hat
Website Member

Website Member

08/08/2014 : 10:55:43      reply with quote

Heading out this morning about 9:30 there was a huge hgv carrying long pipe coming up the canal bridge. I can only imagine how it managed to turn into elliot street and the chaos it must have caused getting through the back of town.

Good to see coming out of skipton last night that the hgv signs have also been posted at snaygil to alert them to use the skipton bypass

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

08/08/2014 : 17:50:18      reply with quote

according to an new rd resident police van was parked half way down new rd today waiting and booking drivers going the wrong down the one way street on to the estate hope they got um alllaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

blob
Website Member

Website Member

08/08/2014 : 21:36:51      reply with quote

@hat - The lorry was carrying the gas pipes I believe and would have been travelling the most sensible way to the site.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

14/08/2014 : 19:57:24      reply with quote

Good news the works will finish early

www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/2014/08/foot-on-the-gas-as-kirkgate-mains-replacement-due-to-finish-early/

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

15/08/2014 : 09:21:11      reply with quote

Please could you update the Silsden local social media site , with the following information?

Update from Northern Gas Networks.

The essential gas mains replacement work on Kirkgate, Silsden is currently running ahead of schedule and we now expecting all works to be completed and the area re-opened to road users by Wednesday 20th August (7 days earlier than initially planned).

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the residents of Silsden for their patience whilst these essential works were being carried out.

Many Thanks

Tracy Wilks | Customer Experience Manager West | Gas

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/08/2014 : 12:47:17      reply with quote

The lost Co-op delivery driver

This morning there was a Co-op delivery driver parked outside the bakery on Kirkgate. The driver had ignored the road closed signs but had decided that using New Road would be a bad idea.

He reversed and backed into Howden, he was able to use the signed diversion. Fortunately it was not one of the really large Co-op delivery lorries.

The driver obviously had never been to Silsden before and had not been briefed about the road works. I last saw the lorry parked at the front of the Co-op in the customer car park.

The road works are nearly finished now but wouldn't it be great if we could keep the lorry ban. It will never happen and we will soon be blighted with lorries taking a shortcut through Silsden again.sad :(sad :(

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

21/08/2014 : 13:05:38      reply with quote

Yeah - and its seems its slipped from Wednesday. There didn't seem to be anyone working on it on Tuesday at all. And the forecast is for rain all day so thats going to be one big pot hole if they finish it today...

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

21/08/2014 : 13:10:09      reply with quote

I thought the works finished on Wednesday? do you mean the lorry backed into clog bridge peter? I have witnessed chaos caused by the very large coop wagons when they come into bell square and try to get into the car park, it is not really a suitable site for such large vehicles, the one I watched had to do about a 12 point turn and meanwhile all the traffic came to a standstill

hat
Website Member

Website Member

21/08/2014 : 14:13:46      reply with quote

I drove through at lunchtime and all the diversions are still in place. On the main st all the holes are filled and tarmacced with the exception of the last one outside st james. Unfortunatley with that being right next to the traffic island nothing can be re-opened until that one is complete.

The main road looks like a right patchwork mess now sadly

Replies in this thread : 30

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass