Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to I'm looking for...... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > up for the cup

Replies in this thread : 24

Author

Topic : up for the cup

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

12/04/2008 : 20:29:23      reply with quote

do any older silsdeners remember when they filmed UP FOR THE CUP starring the comedian albert modley in silsden? the year was 1950/51 .they used local children for the street scenes i was one of them i was aged 9 or 10 then. amongst the other locations used was john knoxes and c.h fletchers mills.they also used a relative of mines house in aire view for other shots.when it was screened at silsden picture house it was full houses all week.does anyone have any memories or further imformation or was in the film? the younger people could possibly ask there parents/grandparents. LENNY(an old cobbydaler)
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

12/04/2008 : 21:56:25      reply with quote

Lenny, this post may be of interest

www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=149

Bob T
Website Member

Website Member

12/04/2008 : 22:21:42      reply with quote

Yes i remember that I think it was Irvin Pearce house they used .They totally redecorated it for the filming then put it back as it was when they had finished ,yes a lot of us schoolkids were in it as extras i think we all got 5 shillings for it. The house that they used was on the left as you came from aireview to Hothfield st

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

13/04/2008 : 15:42:31      reply with quote

bobT .thanks for your reply re UP FOR THE CUP .you were spot on about the house used in the film it was my uncle irvines house.i enquired about obtaining a copy of the film but was told none were available. have you heard anything to the contrary? up to the 60s it was shown on t.v usually on the eve of the cup final. but isnt screened anymore. it is considered old hat nowadays i guess.have you any more recollections of the film?

alan
Website Member

Website Member

13/04/2008 : 16:05:52      reply with quote

Try this site................

www.imdb.com/title/tt0043094/

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2008 : 08:10:34      reply with quote

My mother has memories of the making of this film in Silsden

katehardcastle
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2009 : 19:52:11      reply with quote

Some years ago I tried to track this film down to no avail. My brother Terry is in the front of the gang of lads banging on the mill gates. I tripped and fell under where the big old cameras were on top of outbuildings down shedside. I ran home with the skin of my kneecap hanging off and my dad washed the grit out with hot water and iodine and wrapped it in a clean rag. I remember screaming then and again twice as much when he took the congealed mess off some time later! So I am not on the film!

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 19:32:47      reply with quote

Kate Hardcastle. i read your post regarding
UP FOR THE CUP. and your brother terry i remember
him and yourself from the time i lived in silsden. i seem to remember he worked at john knoxes or c.h.fletcher as a warp twister.am i right? my name is leonard green and i lived on
Elliott St. opposite the Wooden Hut shop.in my
youth. i cant remember where your family lived.
i also tried to obtain a copy of the film to no
avail.but if you go to WWW.ALBERT MODLEY.CO.UK/
and the picture gallery you will find pictures
from the film. you will remember that Albert Modley was the star of the film.i would be
interested to know how you get on. Also if
you have any memories of silsden in the 50s.

carliol
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 19:46:07      reply with quote

as an offcumden, where was "silsden picture house" mentioned in this thread?

tolpuddle
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 20:15:01      reply with quote

Details of movie here:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0043094/
cast etc.

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 20:25:28      reply with quote

In answer to Carliol's query, the picture house known as Silsden Picture Palace was at the bottom of Bradley Road - now apartments. The beck runs under the building! Opened in July 1912, closed July 1959.

tolpuddle
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 20:42:51      reply with quote

Arthur Modley
www.albertmodley.co.uk/more.htm
but no film!

If there is a print around it is not comming up on the net from any film archive. Might be a 16mm somewhere.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 22:32:39      reply with quote

posted by carliol
as an offcumden, where was "silsden picture house" mentioned in this thread?

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2009 : 23:26:09      reply with quote

Many thanks for posting picture of silsden
picture house. it evoked many happy memories
one shilling admission front stalls.one shilling
and sixpence back stalls. also clive parker trying
to keep the young lads in order.medocream ice cream. and 5 woodbines purchased from the little
sweet shop near the cinema happy days.

carliol
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2009 : 04:52:20      reply with quote

many thanks for the info and picture, very interesting. I used to be a "pictures" fanatic when I was young (they had Minors in those days every Saturday morning)and it was a bad week if I didn't get to the pictures at least twice a week.

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2009 : 06:56:19      reply with quote

i also was an "ABC MINOR" at the RITZ CINEMA KEIGHLEY
now a bingo hall .6d amisson remember thesong
the kids sang WE ARE THE MINORS OF THE ABC.
and the badge they gave you.a most coveted thing
to own . i can remember the FLASH GORDON serials
real cliffhangers. also the westerns and my personal favourites THE BOWERY BOYS and ABBOTT and
Costello also OLD MOTHER RILEY.a great saturday
morning at the "PICTURES" not the "MOVIES" in those days.just a point re SILSDEN PICTURE HOUSE
the programme changed twice a week with 2 showings
on saturday evening. i rarely missed a film there
firstly with my mum and dad then my mates and finally my girl friend' by then i had graduated
from the front stalls to the back stalls.

reat
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2009 : 12:59:39      reply with quote

the house for up for the cup was 94 aireview been in other films as well

carnation
Website Member

Website Member

07/11/2009 : 07:27:55      reply with quote

Nice to hear about old Silsden I remember UP FOR THE CUP lived in Silsden all my life now 67 years,parents also Silsden folk,Mothers side was a Summerscales,old Silsden family.Is Lenny same one who went to school Silsden Secondary Modern my name Stuart Parker

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

08/11/2009 : 09:49:44      reply with quote

Stuart.
I am indeed the lenny who attended Silsden
Secondary Modern School.Len Green to be precise i
left in 1957.I remember you very well you lived
near the school Beech Grove if memory serves.
Glad you enjoyed my postings on old silsden
and UP FOR THE CUP. Only the other day i was
looking at an old photograph from our "TOP SCHOOL days and you were on it.I would be delighte to
hear from you after all these years. My e-mail
address is clareirving@sky.com
Kind Regards.
Len Green.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

12/11/2012 : 13:36:04      reply with quote

Posted on behalf of Gordon Cooper

I was in this film chasing after Albert Modley down Tufton Street he had a hand barrow with someting on it covered in material ,There was 7/8 of us all after him with this barrow ,I used to live opposite fletchers mill yard , Number 52 new road (shed side) Pity no one can get a copy of the film, I also remember the cinema and old Thomas trying to keep us quiet ,We used to be in the planks and there was a toilet with a fire exit next to the screen on the right hand side and we used to take it in turns to sneak out go over to the fish/chip shop then sneak back into the cinema with a penny bag of chips with scraps all for 1 old penny , Happy days.

x-ref www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=149

errant juggler
Website Member

Website Member

30/05/2015 : 09:57:27      reply with quote

It's Cup Final Day - and I discovered this thread! I wonder if anyone has any further memories of, or information about, the making of the film 'Up for the Cup'in Silsden?
solid wood flooring

ChrisA
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2016 : 21:20:31      reply with quote

Len
I was at school with you before the 11 plus up to 1955. I remember Shirley Thornber like it was yesterday also graham Burke ( in France now)frank bannister,alan Bancroft,anne dewhirst ,Ann Todd,m Margaret southwart, David shuttleworth, etc etc.
Would love to hear from Shirley if she still lives locally.have many old memories. My father, Don Aaron took studio photographs of most of Silsden at the time

ChrisA
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2016 : 21:27:57      reply with quote

Len
I was at school with you before the 11 plus up to 1955 Chris Aaron. I remember Shirley Thornber like it was yesterday also graham Burke ( in France now)frank bannister,alan Bancroft,anne dewhirst,Ann Todd, Margaret southwart, David shuttleworth, etc etc.
Would love to hear from any of the above esp Shirley if she still lives locally.have many old memories. My father, Don Aaron took studio photographs of most of Silsden at the time.
Have worked all over the world and have lived in Pembrokeshire,west wales for 50years.
Had to laugh at the ref to the cinema _ I can remember Clive going berserk over peanut shells all over the floor. Remember the quiet film scenes when you could hear the beck running underneath?!double seats at the back too!
Regards Chris

jj126
Website Member

Website Member

12/11/2016 : 12:01:40      reply with quote

I remember something else being filmed in Silsden,I think Jimmy Jewel was in it but not 100% about that fact. We lived on Oak View at the time so it would have been late 70's,early 80's I think. The final scene was one of the main actors walking down the back street.

lenny
Website Member

Website Member

07/12/2016 : 10:15:28      reply with quote

Hi Chris A.I am Len Green who you mention in your posts.I have photo's etc of some of thr people you mention.my E-Mail address is Leonard.green@me.com.Hope to hear from you.

Replies in this thread : 24

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > up for the cup  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to