Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Stakes Beck

Replies in this thread : 13

Author

Topic : Stakes Beck

NowAndThenBlogger
Website Member

Website Member

11/09/2014 : 14:45:52      reply with quote

Past and present pictures of the iconic cottages by the beck and of St John Street -- see my blog at www.johngliddle.blogspot.co.uk
click for more information

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/09/2014 : 20:37:02      reply with quote

Interesting stuff once again.
I notice the middle picture from Clog Bridge is reversed

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

11/09/2014 : 20:53:41      reply with quote

I have enjoyed looking at these old photos, thanks..

NowAndThenBlogger
Website Member

Website Member

11/09/2014 : 22:10:22      reply with quote

Many thanks, Gazzer, for spotting the reversed photo. I have turned it round, so to speak.

jj126
Website Member

Website Member

12/09/2014 : 11:02:57      reply with quote

I kept looking at the photo that was reversed,I knew there was something 'not right' but couldn't work out what. Thanks for seeing it.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

12/09/2014 : 13:24:42      reply with quote

weir pool on stakes beck looks like a mill pond now with that contraption.sad :(sad :(

victor
Website Member

Website Member

12/09/2014 : 18:09:23      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

12/09/2014 : 20:47:20      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
weir pool on stakes beck looks like a mill pond now with that contraption.sad :(sad :(
Im sure the weir was built for the water wheel in what is now Naylor Myers. Is the wheel still there or did it go when the top story was knocked of the building?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

13/09/2014 : 07:18:00      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

there used to be a stone water channel from the mill pond that fed the mill it has now been filled in and was a caravan sales and then pennine activity,and is up for sale again it was behind the bridge pub,also gone.but i dont know what fed the mill pond cant remember a channel to it from the weir.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

13/09/2014 : 10:42:56      reply with quote

When I lived in Kirkgate many years ago I found a wheeled valve behind some doors in the wall going down the steps by what is now the 'crazy chef'. When I made some enquiries from the 'old giffers' I was told that this had been a sluice gate for a culvert running from 'the stakes' to the mill pond behind & below the Bridge pub. How it got past the canal is anyone's guess. Presumably the culvert pre-dated the canal. Wasn't the mill at Merritt& Fryers an old corn mill? If you look in the corner of the weir on the Kirkgate side there appears to be an opening for what might have been the culvert.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

13/09/2014 : 10:44:47      reply with quote

Sorry, should have said Naylor Myers. Old age brain going.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

13/09/2014 : 12:22:59      reply with quote

This shows the mill pond before it was filled in.

BTW The site (Pennine Playgrounds) has now been sold, I think it had outline planning permission for 12 houses.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

13/09/2014 : 22:09:15      reply with quote

So did the weir maintain the mill pond?

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

14/09/2014 : 11:47:34      reply with quote

Gazzer, this would appear to have been a classic goit system in use prior to the advent of power mills. A weir is built on a stream to provide a head of water that is then channelled downstream to a mill dam which is then restricted again to obtain a steady flow of water to turn a water wheel. The goit then continues down & re-enters the stream. At the top of the mill dam a spill off into the stream is constructed to prevent the dam from overflowing. The one in Silsden appears to have taken water from the 'duck pond' through a culvert running down the side of Kirkgate, under the canal & into the mill dam. At 'jumping jack' you can still see the constructed spill-off into the beck & also down the steps from 'Crazy Chef' set into the wall is a valve which may have controlled the flow of water in the culvert. At the Kirkgate side of the 'duck pond' in the corner of the weir top there is a not so easily seen entrance to the culvert. Why there is what appears to have been a sluice gate in the beck just above & behind the post office I don't know, but perhaps this had something to do with Airedale Shed. I have been told by an old Silsdener that 'The Shed' discharged 'hot' water into the duckpond many years ago, & he remembered it 'steaming' as it went in above the ford on the Kirkgate side.

Replies in this thread : 13

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Stakes Beck  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to