Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Medlar Fruit Tree

Replies in this thread : 5

Author

Topic : Medlar Fruit Tree

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

19/09/2014 : 18:39:38      reply with quote

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

This is a fruit tree that is not seen very often, I called in to see Jill at Old & New on Chaple street today and as i was leaving i noticed a very large medlar fruit tree just over the road that is ladened with fruit and is great for wine making and also for jellies and for use in deserts, Jill told me the people who have just moved in were going to cut the tree back but after speaking with jill are going to leave it untill the fruit is ready for picking in late october to early November for anyone who can use some (well worth seeing)happy :)happy :)happy :) www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3339015/A-fantastically-fruitful-tree-for-all-seasons.html
click for more information

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

20/09/2014 : 00:34:04      reply with quote

Excellent. How cam it be reproduced, seed or cutting? I have now got half a dozen English Walnut (Juglans Regia) which I've grown from seed. I would love to have a go at growing medlar. I've heard of them, read about them in old recipe books, but never seen them.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

20/09/2014 : 01:02:29      reply with quote

Medlars are best grown as standard or half standard trees, Grafted on to seme - vigorus root stocks. Plant november to March these reach 13 - 20 feet in hight and spread, Prune annualy in winter to maintaina good shape and encourage flowering and fruiting.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

20/09/2014 : 01:28:16      reply with quote

Medlars are usually grafted on to Quince or Hawthorn rootstocks the Quince A and B A29 rootstocks are semi- vigorous and produce more stable trees

midway
Website Member

Website Member

20/09/2014 : 07:57:11      reply with quote

Oy Look at hillbilly,the root of all knowledge.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

20/09/2014 : 11:03:40      reply with quote

posted by hillbilly
Medlars are usually grafted on to Quince or Hawthorn rootstocks the Quince A and B A29 rootstocks are semi- vigorous and produce more stable trees
Thanks Hillbilly, I've bought some seed from an EBay company and will try to get a few cuttings, in order to try both methods.

I've looked at the RHS site, among others, all of which suggest taking cuttings for grafting onto a vigorous root stock to be most effective.

If anyone hears of Persimon shrubs ( Diospyros Kaki)....

Replies in this thread : 5

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Medlar Fruit Tree  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to