Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Soldiers in silsden 1939--45

Replies in this thread : 8

Author

Topic : Soldiers in silsden 1939--45

midway
Website Member

Website Member

29/09/2014 : 18:14:54      reply with quote

A Silsden resident has delved into the past to bring to light the town's important but little-known contribution to the Second World War.

Joseph Rogers, 81, has written "Soldiers in Silsden 1939-45", a pictorial history of the area's role as a training and preparation zone.

In his preface to the 97-page book, Mr Rogers, who is himself a former soldier, said it was uncertain why Silsden was chosen to be an operational army base.

However, he said the presence of a railway line for shifting heavy military vehicles and the nearby secluded moors for training exercises could well have been deciding factors.

Among the information included in his book is evidence of kerbside damage in Silsden caused by tank tracks - some of which is still visible today.

The book explains how Silsden - along with other parts of Yorkshire's West Riding - played an important part in hosting troops who would go on to liberate Europe in 1944-5.

The town was home to a Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers workshop, which arrived in early 1943.

Its personnel looked after a range of armoured vehicles, including tanks.
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/09/2014 : 18:55:18      reply with quote

www.amazon.co.uk/Soldiers-Silsden-1939-45-Involvement-Yorkshire/dp/0955606497/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412013111&sr=8-1&keywords=soldiers+in+silsden

midway
Website Member

Website Member

29/09/2014 : 19:09:42      reply with quote

The question now is, has anybody local got a copy i could read? please.

UNCLE FESTER
Website Member

Website Member

29/09/2014 : 19:41:32      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

TIKETY BOO That midway but you should try and get out a little more often. Here is one you could start with that may interest you, Have a trip out to saint john street and see if you can find the curb stones that were chipped by the tanks during the 2nd world war, You will know which were caused by the tank tracks as they are evenly spaced about a foot apart if you enjoy that think about somthing a little more adventurous and get your self up wind gate nick and see if you can find some wreckage from the Mosquito that crashed up there as i did some years ago THAT'S JUST A TESTER FROM UNCLE FESTER

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

29/09/2014 : 19:55:28      reply with quote

posted by midway
One here Midway but looks very expensive.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joseph-Rogers-David-Rogers-Soldiers-in-Silsden-1939-45-A-History-of-Military-/161424160721?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2595a137d1

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/09/2014 : 20:38:02      reply with quote

posted by midway
Try looking in the library - the local section

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2014 : 19:46:39      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Well i got the Book or should i say Books,that's( Soldiers in Silsden 1939--45) and ( Civilians in Silsden 1939--45 ) how i came about them is due entirely to Hillbilly, and perhaps fate. During a house clearance he was undertaking,and while helping the customer carry boxes to his car he spotted the book i was wanting. It transpired the customer David Rogers son of Joseph Rogers ( now deceased ) had traveled from London to finalize the house clearance. My thanks and gratitude to Hillbilly for his help in acquiring the books, and the opportunity to meet the son of the author. We asked David if he would enquirer at Twiggs to stock the remaining copies. Well i did upload a picture of David Rogers, on this forum upload facility, don't we use it now?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2014 : 22:55:58      reply with quote

Not difficult to put pictures on here when you know how.... see
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=6934

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

05/10/2014 : 17:05:52      reply with quote

If anyone would like a copy of eather of the books they are now avalable at Twiggs paper shop for 9.99 each

Replies in this thread : 8

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Soldiers in silsden 1939--45  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to