Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > 1914-1918 Service of Remembrance

Replies in this thread : 16

Author

Topic : 1914-1918 Service of Remembrance

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

17/10/2014 : 16:33:58      reply with quote

Silsden AFC are holding a Service of Remembrance and Celebration on Saturday 8th November 2014 at the ground.

We want to commemorate the bravery of all the sportsmen and local residents who went to fight in the Great War, some never to return.

Starting at 1.00 the service will last about 1 hour and will have Silsden Town Band accompanied by the Rock Up and Sing Choir playing and singing songs from the era with audience participation.

Opening words from, our football club Chairman, 3 church leaders, Silsden`s Royal British Legion and the service will be closed with words from our sports club Chairman.

Light refreshments and the Silsden Historical war exhibition will be on display in the sports club.

Anyone staying for the game at 3.00 will see the two team captains jointly placing a wreath against the match day ball, followed by one minutes silence.

We have produced a special newspaper priced at £3, which will be on sale in shops soon with stories and facts from the 1900s to the present day.

The service is open to all but could you please let us know if you wish to attend on Silsdenafc@hotmail.com so we can plan the day.

All profits of the newspaper and the service will go to the Silsden Poppy Appeal.

Our opposition could bring over 100 supporters so we will open the car park at the old Belmont Silks factory and get as many as we can there, and in our ground, so your patience is asked for.
click for more information

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

18/10/2014 : 00:17:42      reply with quote

Could you just let everyone know the cost of the service please

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/10/2014 : 11:29:55      reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsd1iU5cWyM#t=26

midway
Website Member

Website Member

18/10/2014 : 11:46:57      reply with quote

Thank you for that gazzer.

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

18/10/2014 : 17:13:52      reply with quote

What a fantastic gesture from a forward looking club I hope you can get all the cars parked in the mill yard and hope Peter shows with his camera and takes some moving photos of the event and not cars parked on the road

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

18/10/2014 : 18:48:28      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
Could you just let everyone know the cost of the service please
Thanks gazzer, no charge at all Dodzi, the club just taking the opportunity to remember the brave generations of the past.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2014 : 17:55:01      reply with quote

"First issue sold out, reprint should we ready mid week"

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2014 : 19:03:36      reply with quote

I've been looking for some marching music for you but I'm struggling. Might just bob down for this - is there a collection?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2014 : 20:08:12      reply with quote

well if someone has a record player i have the readers digest boxed collection.TUNES OF GLORY. 8 Lps ,classics of the march,,in quieter moments,,the skirl of the pipes,,yoeman of england,,the battle of britain,,war on the silver screen,,the thin red line,,,and victory at sea ,,with just about every marching and war anthem going which i would donate to who ever will use them this year and every memorial day in the future.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2014 : 20:10:44      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
I've been looking for some marching music for you but I'm struggling. Might just bob down for this - is there a collection?

We are gathering from 12.30 as we have a big game on during the afternoon and we need to be clear asap.

No collection, just poppy boxes and the newspaper I have written, maybe a band collecting box, not sure.

You will be most welcome.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2014 : 07:49:31      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
well if someone has a record player i have the readers digest boxed collection.TUNES OF GLORY. with just about every marching and war anthem going which i would donate. .
If someone could put them from record to cd I would definitely like to use them in our service, I will pay for the cd`s too and return to you dogcatcher when finished with.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2014 : 13:01:15      reply with quote

if no one to tape onto cd item no 111490696578 is tunes of glory 4 cd set on ebay £1.25 buy it now and £3 p&p

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

30/10/2014 : 18:59:36      reply with quote

Available now from,

Airevalley IFA - Pauls DIY - Café Cake - Post Office - Twiggs Newsagents - Punch Bowl - Silsden Sports Club

Hopefully from tomorrow,

Jeffs Barbers - Skipton Building Society - Robin Hood - Red Lion - Kings Arms - Sunnybank Social Club +++

Soon

On line with a match day commemorative programme.

Please support us to donate as much as possible to the Silsden British Legion Poppy Day Appeal.

If anyone in the services or ex services wishes to come to our service on the 8th November please come in your uniform, same goes for police, ambulance in fact any uniform so as to add to the atmosphere.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

31/10/2014 : 13:15:21      reply with quote

posted by Floyd
What a fantastic gesture from a forward looking club I hope you can get all the cars parked in the mill yard and hope Peter shows with his camera and takes some moving photos of the event and not cars parked on the road
As ever we will do everything possible to minimise disruption but can people please be aware that this event is taking place. I spoke with someone from the Keighley scouts on gala day and he said they can not do anymore than we do to ensure proper parking.

If anyone feels they can spare some time to help out at the event they will not be turned down.

No further comment about parking should be made on this website as its about the event itself.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

07/11/2014 : 16:56:53      reply with quote

Just a reminder our Remembrance Service is taking place tomorrow, doors open for 12.00.

We intended being outside in the football stand but now, due to the rain, have decided to use the function room.

The third re print of our newspaper will be available, look out for the young urchin paper boy selling them.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

08/11/2014 : 19:17:02      reply with quote

Many thanks to all who turned up for our Remembrance service this afternoon, in excess of 160, it was quite snug.

Big, big thanks to Silsden Town Band, as tight as a drum.

The Rock up and Sing choir, great harmonies.

The British Legion, as smart and regimented as always and our trio of Silsden Clergy, when their stories unfolded, all funny, sad and bang on the money for facts an religious content, thanks to you all.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/11/2014 : 20:52:49      reply with quote

Pictures here

www.photos-dsb.co.uk/silsden%20ww1/index.html

Replies in this thread : 16

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > 1914-1918 Service of Remembrance   

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to