Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Stupidity of fireworks

Replies in this thread : 40
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Stupidity of fireworks

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

01/11/2014 : 21:29:07      reply with quote

what is the point of fireworks when the children don't understand the point of them ,the pets are scared of them ??????? Bb
click for more information

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

01/11/2014 : 22:09:05      reply with quote

Yes what is the bloody point of them at the end of the day NONE sat here with our poor little rescue dog Jake and his 1000 yard stare he has been shaking and sweating all night again as if last night was not enough,We had an invite to an Halloween party but just not got the heart to leave him, I wonder how long it will go on for this year time to ban themangryangryangryangryangryangry

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

01/11/2014 : 22:36:59      reply with quote

could not agree more, our poor cat was terrified even though we turned the tv up.the display on jacksons field was bad enough but some morons in our street decided to let of what can only be described as bombs which lasted for about 15 mins, what is the point?? not only that what a complete waste of money people are so in considerate, and I do think its time to ban fireworks all together.The ones I had when I was a child(a long time ago)did not make the kind of noise they do now and they were only let off on bonfire night, what is wrong with people!I might see about getting a petition started on the government website.

thanet
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 12:58:11      reply with quote

i agree with you all the fireworks of today seem to be all about what makes the loudest bang not how pretty they are. Also we seem to get them all year round now for all occasions too so its not just the week of bonfire any more.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 15:02:12      reply with quote

I most definitely agree! It is time they were consigned to history.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 15:44:11      reply with quote

idiots on near me letting bombs off in a field full of pregnant sheep some of which are pregnant urghhh!!

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 18:40:25      reply with quote

You lot are just old and boring!

Years ago when you were kids you would have given your right leg to have the best fireworks to frighten the pants of some poor unsuspecting folk.
Let kids enjoy them just as we did..the world is not static it evolves you know!!
Just cos you lot want to be sticklers stuck in your own child time shouldnít mean you have to try and stop others from enjoying themselves.

Saying that, however; Todaysí roman candles, catherine wheels and traffic lights we think are shear boring and fizzle out in seconds..if they go at all! It does appear the rockets and repeaters are the best type of fireworks for attention!
We also would prefer if fireworks were kept solely for Bonfire night as intended.

BANG BANG BANG

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 19:10:35      reply with quote

typical selfish ignorant response, I can do whatever I like and sod everyone else, don't you care about animals then you stupid person

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 19:24:33      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Far from the truth that Rosey Lea i am not just thinking of all the pets that are frightend to death but the many inocent children who are badley burnt by them every year let's just see how diferent you see it if one of your children just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time not very nice at all to see a child screaming in agony in a ball of flames and suffering 3rd degree burns not a pretty sight and not a very nice smell eather BANG BANG BANG have fun but don't ever forget life is full of surprises and (Life is not always good)

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 19:42:41      reply with quote

Gingo you say that there is a field by you full of pregnant sheep and some are pregnant are you sure

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 20:23:52      reply with quote

We are now in our 4th hour of fireworks, forgive me, isn't this Sunday the 2nd. How long will this go on, our dogs are terrified despite the radio on at full blast. Sorry to be an old stick in the mud, but I never liked them as a child so now the noise is even worse. Guess that this will go on for another week at least, there must be some high earners out there that can afford to send money up in smoke!!!
There, my grouch for the day.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2014 : 23:10:32      reply with quote

All to come again as Nov 5 is on Wed and no doubt there will be some going off again on Sat 8..

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 09:13:46      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Walking on the canal yesterday, there were firework remains near Brunthwaite Bridge. On the low side of the canal there are sheep, on both sides of the bridge the fields have sheep grazing, also noticed that the tups are in with the girls, so there is a possibility that some of the yews are in lamb.
We have had 3 awful nights of banging and flashing, it must impact on animals. This morning going onto the canal at Jacksons Bridge, there were 2 farm workers trying to retrieve a heifer from the canal which was dead. Nothing could be stated as to what had caused her death, but she had a calf at foot which makes you wonder why she had left it. Poor girl, what a way to go. If I'm old and boring, so be it, I just feel so sorry for the animals that can't cope with this awful racket.

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 13:36:56      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
typical selfish ignorant response, I can do whatever I like and sod everyone else, don't you care about animals then you stupid person
Errr..I think you will find your responses are selfish, animals donít have an opinion!

Yes I care about animals but In our book...People always come first.....However for you Ginjo if we were out walking and you had your dog with you and a disaster came upon us whereby I had the choice to either save you or your dog...Which would I pick???.....Mmmm easy choice this one!!!!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 15:25:19      reply with quote

Rosy Lea, you seem to be going out of your way to upset people on this forum. What has a sheep/pet done to you that you think it's alright to set fireworks off around them?

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 16:05:25      reply with quote

I am sick to death of the perpetual whinging by 'pet owners' and how there poor little moggies and doggies are affected by fireworks, cars, people, big doggies, bad doggies etc. etc.

Dogs can be trained to not be scared of fireworks. As most dogs I see are obviously miserable being dragged around on leads rather than running in a pack with their mates.

As for cats. Ultimate survivor so I doubt if 'fireworks' really affect them.

I like animals and therefore will not have one as a 'pet'. This human fad of pet keeping is along with religion a blight on the human race.

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 16:17:41      reply with quote

posted by Peter
Rosy Lea, you seem to be going out of your way to upset people on this forum. What has a sheep/pet done to you that you think it's alright to set fireworks off around them?
Err.....Peter just thought we would remind you....This is a forum where we are allowed to speak for or against points of view!!!
You could say those against fireworks are upsetting those who are for them!!

If you want your point of view on either side of the argument say it...But we think its fair to say donít go attacking others for having a different point of view without even giving your point on the subject.

We love animals very much, but people will always come first.

Oh... and well said Old_Miner.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 16:52:59      reply with quote

I am also allowed to have a point of view and when was the last time an animal told you how they feel?

People can talk, animals cannot!

But they do cower under tables and behind settees when fireworks are let off.

Where do animals in the field go to get away from the noise?

I'm all for organised firework displays, but a week of disorganised bangs let off by irresponsible kids, who should not be allowed to buy the fireworks in the first place, is not my idea of a responsible firework party. sad :(sad :(angryangry

The remnants of this type of behaviour can be seen at the rocks part of skate park.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 17:04:59      reply with quote

I think i have thought of a logical answer to suit both sides of the argument.

As a child we used to have Air Bombs which whistled before they banged and they were banned due to people power.

The bangs have crept back in to such an extent now you can buy a bang repeater for almost every year of your life.

So the answer is, make fireworks silent, do away with the explosion, like the old Snow scenes of the 60s, but on a bigger scale.

Result, a fire work display to be seen by all without the bang, dogs and cats happy as are the fire work makers and shops selling them.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 18:24:07      reply with quote

In the wild animals cope with thunder, lightning and forest fires. In battle horses coped with everything. Working dogs in Afghanistan cope with battle. Sorry, but a dog that cannot cope with fireworks is a sad badly trained animal.

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 20:20:15      reply with quote

Utter Rubbish...my German Shepherds are neither sad or badly trained but explosions outside the window puts them on edge!,
solid wood flooring

blob
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2014 : 22:27:05      reply with quote

I bet you anything there's plenty of Police/Army/Guide dogs that don't make it due to not coping well enough with their working environment. They should be trained well enough!

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2014 : 09:31:20      reply with quote

so how do you propose training all the animals cats, dogs sheep, cows etc to cope with bombs going off? this is not a war we are talking about humans lighting explosives for their" entertainment", it is actually anti social behaviour, ok organised displays are ok and they are well advertised but joe blogs down the road decides to let off excrutiatingly loud "bombs" without letting his neighbours know so they can be prepared, it is not only animals who are scared by these noises, a lot of elderly people who live alone are and what about people who have been in wars and are suffering as a result.

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

04/11/2014 : 15:51:49      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
so how do you propose training all the animals cats, dogs sheep, cows etc to cope with bombs going off? this is not a war we are talking about humans lighting explosives for their" entertainment", it is actually anti social behaviour, ok organised displays are ok and they are well advertised but joe blogs down the road decides to let off excrutiatingly loud "bombs" without letting his neighbours know so they can be prepared, it is not only animals who are scared by these noises, a lot of elderly people who live alone are and what about people who have been in wars and are suffering as a result.
Err Excuse us Ginjo..but donít you very much think that Halloween/Bonfire Night is well advertised?
Plenty of time for farmers and folk to literally take stock and make em safe!!

We still think fireworks should be banned apart from two days a year Bonfire Night and New Years Eve.
Its when folk set em off outside of these days that we dislike...very annoying ...and no doubt to animals too!
Saying that at these two times let folk enjoy themselves. We used to love em as kids and young adults but arenít too bothered about them now...so let the young have there fun!!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2014 : 07:18:44      reply with quote

Just playing Devils Advocate.
Every year we here of pet dogs turning on humans and in some cases actually killing people so is it time to ban pet dogs?

No I dint think so.Personally I enjoy fireworks and pets and wouldnt suggest banning either

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2014 : 08:00:35      reply with quote

If fireworks had never previously been invented or existed, then tomorrow someone came up with the idea of manufacturing explosive devices and selling them on every high street. Do you think it would ever happen ? I reckon the HSE or whoever would ban it without much consideration.

Our young dog who normally takes everything in his stride was literally shaking for two hours last night whilst extremely loud fireworks were being set off a few houses away, someone said the dog must not be trained properly if that is happening.
Maybe they would like to explain just exactly how to train a puppy not to be scared of fireworks please.

I am all for the organised events, then you have the choice to remove the animal from the vicinity, but idiots letting the things off for weeks on end is just stupid, have they got nothing better to spend their money on.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2014 : 08:14:03      reply with quote

posted by pgp001
If fireworks had never previously been invented or existed, then tomorrow someone came up with the idea of manufacturing explosive devices and selling them on every high street. Do you think it would ever happen ? I reckon the HSE or whoever would ban it without much consideration.

Our young dog who normally takes everything in his stride was literally shaking for two hours last night whilst extremely loud fireworks were being set off a few houses away, someone said the dog must not be trained properly if that is happening.
Maybe they would like to explain just exactly how to train a puppy not to be scared of fireworks please.

I am all for the organised events, then you have the choice to remove the animal from the vicinity, but idiots letting the things off for weeks on end is just stupid, have they got nothing better to spend their money on.
A lot of the larger fireworks need to ensure spectators are 25m away which rules out most gardens. So they are already breaking the law so why dont the get caught?.

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2014 : 14:23:10      reply with quote

When the days get longer and the nights get shorter the problem of fireworks will go away like dog mess. razz :prazz :prazz :p

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2014 : 20:09:13      reply with quote

Been busy today teaching my dogs to like fireworks. The method I used is as follows....get a couple of big rockets and start by just throwing them for the dog.After about half an hour of this,divert the dogs attention and while it's not looking light the rocket. Went much further than I could have thrown it..........Still looking for dog!!!!!

blob
Website Member

Website Member

05/11/2014 : 22:21:01      reply with quote

I tried training my dog using a squeaky ball instead. Turns out he was scared of the squeaky ball!

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

06/11/2014 : 08:35:30      reply with quote

Have got dog back now. Have sat it down and explained to it that fireworks are a way of celebrating a failed assassination of King James 1st over 400 years ago.It looked at me as if I was stupid but is OK now !

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

06/11/2014 : 10:32:40      reply with quote

I think it is utterly stupid to allow explosives to be openly sold to anybody over 18yrs. In this time of our armed forces being killed and maimed by I.E.D.'s, overseas, how long will it before somebody uses the explosives in fireworks to cause such injuries to civilians in the U.K.
Fireworks should be classed just the same as high explosives and ONLY be allowed to be purchased by properly trained and authorised persons; for use at designated events.

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

06/11/2014 : 17:05:25      reply with quote

It was quiet in Steeton last night after 17.00 - 21.00 We put the telly on extra loud so didn't have a barking, shaking, sweaty furry job trying to herd us to safety in a non existent cellar. I think it may be explosive vibrations and frequencies that trigger the panic in animal ears. They don't react to the same and louder noises on TV. Maybe I could train our boy with a biscuit for ever nearer banger toleration but I'm not going to. Gun dogs something else of course.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

06/11/2014 : 17:07:40      reply with quote

posted by Jaguarxjs22
Utter Rubbish...my German Shepherds are neither sad or badly trained but explosions outside the window puts them on edge!,
German Shepherd dogs, or Alsations as they were once called came to the UK after WW1. They had been acquired from the Germans no doubt in many way. However, they were all acquired on or near a battlefield. So any GS/Alsation should be able to cope with the wimpish bangs of fireworks today.

captainslogg
Website Member

Website Member

07/11/2014 : 09:35:41      reply with quote

Old miner. It is quite clear that you havenít a clue as to what you are talking about. The theory that is in your head is quite different as to what happens in the real world.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

07/11/2014 : 10:40:43      reply with quote

posted by Jaguarxjs22
I hop ethey aren't like the two that we near the King on the day the tour came through - cos they weren't well behaved at all

Replies in this thread : 40
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Stupidity of fireworks  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to