Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Flood Defences

Replies in this thread : 51
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Flood Defences

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

09/11/2014 : 09:43:58      reply with quote

Just 2 random Sunday morning thoughts.

How does the beck flood defence know when it has to be ready by to stop the flooding of St. Johns street??

Does it realise how bl**dy ugly it looks and how it has spoilt the most photo`d and painted scenes in Silsden for century`s??
click for more information

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

09/11/2014 : 10:28:54      reply with quote

could`nt agree more what the hecks happening ,why start it and not finish it flood season has arrived,absolute eyesore!!!!!!!!!!!!angryangryangryangrysad :(

Marrywell
Website Member

Website Member

09/11/2014 : 12:24:18      reply with quote

I totally agree that it is an absolute eyesore. As it stands, it completely ruins my enjoyment of walking into Silsden centre. I appreciate that it is voluntary, but should never have been allowed to begin without an acceptable completion date. Does anyone know when the work will be finished?

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

09/11/2014 : 16:19:08      reply with quote

Just a few thoughts. Who makes the decision to close this floodgate & who will actually close it? Presumably there will be a duty roster, person(s) to deputise if the designated person is not available. How is this floodgate operated? Is it power-driven or manually hand-cranked shut? If power-driven, where is the power supply coming from & who pays for it? Does anyone know when the work will be completed & the floodgate tested & fully operational?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/11/2014 : 17:45:52      reply with quote

Im in the "wait and see camp".People who volunteer to do stuff are in the minority so im prepared to watch this.
Having said that an update on progress would not go amiss

MBR
Website Member

Website Member

10/11/2014 : 21:01:26      reply with quote

I'm with the originator of this post..
What should be one of the most attractive features of the village is now just an eyesore.
The ford should be resurrected and tidied up - a simple barrier, may be made of wood that could be slotted in put in place - something more in keeping with the historic heart of the village..

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/11/2014 : 21:54:52      reply with quote

posted by MBR

The ford should be resurrected and tidied up -
Lets go back to the wooden bridge and stepping stones or even better the pack horse bridge.
Just remember more houses will be built higher up the beck and once fields are concreted over water will not soak into the ground it will rush through the town centre. So lets get the job finished then we can judge.Sooner the better.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 09:47:40      reply with quote

there is a distinct lack of information regarding this carbuncle, no one has really explained the ins , outs costs who made the decision why no one was consulted etc , and now we are approaching winter with no sign of this being completed.Didn't someone say that Keighley college were going to finish the stonework? I see that etched on the metalwork is silsden town council 2014 ,
m o'dwyer is he the company who constructed it , I thought he was a town councillor

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 10:32:02      reply with quote

As has been said on multiple threads before Peter's forum - i.e. here - is not a place for the Town Council to report to the public. It is simply a forum on the internet. If you want more details from the Town Council then the proper channel to go through is to attend a council meeting and ask them there. Going on about it on here is not going to get you any more information than has already been posted. Its what the council has stated so I can't see bringing it up again is going to achieve.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 11:08:22      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
there is a distinct lack of information regarding this carbuncle, no one has really explained the ins , outs costs who made the decision why no one was consulted etc , and now we are approaching winter with no sign of this being completed.Didn't someone say that Keighley college were going to finish the stonework? I see that etched on the metalwork is silsden town council 2014 ,
m o'dwyer is he the company who constructed it , I thought he was a town councillor
www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/keighleynews/10271565.Silsden_campaigners_in_cash_bid_for_a_mini_floodgate/?ref=arc

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 11:14:02      reply with quote

Well said dodzi.
To all you moaners I say, "Stop shit stirring, all of your questions have been answered many times on here, IF you want to get the job finished sooner? Get of you backsides and offer to help, or to put it another way, Put up or shut up!"

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 11:36:06      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Oh Dear here we go again!!

Dodzi and HurricaneHector lets remind you this is a FORUM where people can hold discussions. We can hold any type of discussion though Peter dictates sorry moderates, oops! WE can hold doscussions about the state of our Town which we think needs discussing and we can even hold discussions about our Town council...In fact we can hold discussions on just about anything, even discusssions about discussions!
Yes itís good to pass on your personal community concerns to the TC but sometimes topics need airing first, and guess what on here we can do it.

So Dodzi and HurricaneHector stop your whining about what people should be doing and let the conversation flow.

Time for a nice cuppa now!

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 11:38:40      reply with quote

posted by HurricaneHector
Well said dodzi.
To all you moaners I say, "Stop shit stirring, all of your questions have been answered many times on here, IF you want to get the job finished sooner? Get of you backsides and offer to help, or to put it another way, Put up or shut up!"
My initial post posed 2 questions, who closes it and when, and who could have chosen such an unsightly and still unfinished eyesore to our central beauty spot.

If by using an abusive tone you think you have answered the questions, I feel you are mistaken.

We now know it was a joint venture, thank you gazer, between the Silsden Environmental Group and Silsden Youth Council, whom one would have thought all had now resigned en-block after seeing their Carbuncle on our local community or am I missing something?

As for putting up or shutting up how much of the £2,500 have we left to have it removed I wonder?

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 13:26:30      reply with quote

And in comes the comments from the people that have had all this answered before. Rose lea - stop YOUR bloody stirring. Yes this is a FORUM not somewhere the TOWN COUNCIL is going to answer any offical questions. Get off your backside and go to the Town Council meeting if you are so bothered. Checking the numbers that turned up after the last lot of winging - a big fat zero - its all just noise and wind. On that go have your cup of tea - burn your tongue and shut the hell up! I'm otta here/.....

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 14:00:05      reply with quote

hear hear well in and well said rosie leahappy :)

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 17:47:29      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi everyone...that was a nice cuppa Rosy I just had.
Glad Dodzi has gone now..spoiling it for everyone with those remarks!

My hubby says have you checked out previous postings about the Ford over the beck/duck pond?
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=6700
14/08/2014 : 14:23:25
Seems like we didnít get the answers before either.
No one on the TC or otherwise in the know can be bothered to inform us about whats happening with the eyesore there.
Maybe they are regretting it themselves...and hoping this mistake will just wash down river!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 18:06:48      reply with quote

If you REALLY want to know what is going on you should have gone to the last Silsden Town Council Meeting, but like the last time this question was raised you didn't bother.

If I tell you what is happening, or what it will be look like when it's finished, or how the system will work when it is finished, YOU WILL STILL MOAN, so I won't bother.

So if you want to find out more about this project, how much money has been spent, why there has been a delay, who will operate the barrier?...... I suggest you contact the STC clerk..... what's that I hear you say! you still just want to moan and speculate about it on this forum and spread doom and despondency. angryshocked 8O

To find out more about the barrier project write to

The Town Clerk: silsdentownclerk2@blueyonder.co.uk

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 18:49:30      reply with quote

Peter, lets not lose sight that the local and ward councillors were elected by us to work for us.

Surely they should be letting us know!!!!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 19:25:30      reply with quote

posted by Listener
Surely they (the Ward Councillors) should be letting us know!!!!!

How would that work? One Ward Councillor doesn't even attend STC meetings and the other two (as does the STC) has a policy of not communicating on this forum on these matters.

Beware of a "certain" Ward Councillor's press statements on the subject.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 19:27:51      reply with quote

not sure that many of the town councillors were elected by the people!what has happened to the newsletter that the town council used to produce?Also, minutes of meetings used to be on display in the glass cabinet outside the town hall.It is a standard response that everyone should get off their backsides and attend meetings, it is not practical for several thousand residents to attend a meeting
the council have never been any good at letting the peole know what is going on.Same applies to writing to the clerk, I doubt she would take kindly to being inundated with letters, I did write a couple of years ago, never got an acknowledgement let alone an answer to my question.If the council don't want to put info on here why don't they set up there own informative website like a lot of other towns/villages do

blob
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 20:04:19      reply with quote

posted by Rosy Lea
We can hold any type of discussion though Peter dictates sorry moderates, oops!

Rosy I think this is incredibly disrespectful to Peter who provides the people of Silsden with a local forum to discuss local views. It is a privilege to be a member not a right!
solid wood flooring

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 21:16:42      reply with quote

posted by Listener
Peter, lets not lose sight that the local and ward councillors were elected by us to work for us.

Surely they should be letting us know!!!!!

In the T&A article I posted it said the following

"The barrier is a joint scheme by Silsden Youth Council and Silsden Environmental Group. "

I think the Town Council support it but it is nothing to do with Ward Councillors

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

11/11/2014 : 23:22:05      reply with quote

posted by Rosy Lea
Hi everyone...that was a nice cuppa Rosy I just had.
Glad Dodzi has gone now..spoiling it for everyone with those remarks!

Rosy Lea it is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than remove all doubt

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

12/11/2014 : 09:41:44      reply with quote

The Town Council used to produce a lovely Newsletter four times a year featuring the ongoing projects, local news and minutes of the meetings.
This was a lovely produced newsletter and showed the Town Council as a caring and well informative group!
I presume to save a few quid this newsletter was dropped and everyone now is in the dark (unless you can get to a TC meeting)?

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

12/11/2014 : 11:23:15      reply with quote

Spanish Omelette, No you do not need to even go to the Town Council meetings to find out what is going on, WHY? Because Peter has already got a link to them on the home page of this great forum.
Listener, Qoute, Peter, lets not lose sight that the local and ward councillors were elected by us to work for us. Yes they were and there are working for you.
But has they say, "there are none so blind has those who don't want to see."

silsden gala
Website Member

Website Member

12/11/2014 : 11:34:27      reply with quote

I helped to produce this years news letter and deliver it so people could pick it up and read it at their leisure. Try the co-op,library or post office,though it as been out a few months now.

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

12/11/2014 : 12:06:19      reply with quote

posted by HurricaneHector
you do not need to even go to the Town Council meetings to find out what is going on, WHY? Because Peter has already got a link to them on the home page of this great forum.
Listener, ."
If this link you say tells all, then why does Peter not refer to it. He keeps telling us to speak to the clerk or attend meetings.
Anything about Silsden should surly be advertised especially in the TH...but then STC dislike the TH donít they?
Anyhow it appears Peter knows a great deal about what is going on but prefers not to tell us himself.
Why Peter?

Time for Tea.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

13/11/2014 : 20:35:29      reply with quote

Hello people. I guess you might remember my opposition to the erection of floodgates. I took your advice & sent the clerk to the Council my views requesting that these be aired at the next Council Meeting. My concerns & requests for a sensible response was lukewarm to say the least. None of my concerns were addressed & any issues I raised were ignored. I got the impression that I was being 'fobbed' off. Had I attended council meetings I am firmly of the opinion that I would have got a similar response. Months later, nothing substantial has actually happened onsite & one wonders whether this ill-conceived project will ever be completed.

Bee2771
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 06:07:25      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
Hello people. I guess you might remember my opposition to the erection of floodgates. I took your advice & sent the clerk to the Council my views requesting that these be aired at the next Council Meeting. My concerns & requests for a sensible response was lukewarm to say the least. None of my concerns were addressed & any issues I raised were ignored. I got the impression that I was being 'fobbed' off. Had I attended council meetings I am firmly of the opinion that I would have got a similar response. Months later, nothing substantial has actually happened onsite & one wonders whether this ill-conceived project will ever be completed.
Here Here, There is no way STC will question their own decision(s) The "floodgate" (LOL) will never be discussed in any detail again.....They cocked up and they know it, so the attitude is lets just sweep it under the carpet and hope everyone who opposes it forgets about it!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 07:31:20      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Bee2771
posted by Mickyfinn
Here Here, There is no way STC will question their own decision(s) The "floodgate" (LOL) will never be discussed in any detail again.....They cocked up and they know it, so the attitude is lets just sweep it under the carpet and hope everyone who opposes it forgets about it!

I know you like to have a go at STC.Whilst backed by STC is it their project.Once again

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/keighleynews/10271565.Silsden_campaigners_in_cash_bid_for_a_mini_floodgate/?ref=arc

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 08:48:06      reply with quote

I have a great solution!! I am willing to contact Tommy Holmes and get him to come and tidy things up!!!

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 09:08:39      reply with quote

None of you moaner have any idea what you are talking about, all this has been gone through before, why don't you just shut up and wait until it is finnished.
enough said, Peter stop this unwarranted attack on the Town Council now!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 09:53:01      reply with quote

Oh dear everyone is an expert, and without information there is speculation. There has been a lack of information about the progress of project and what the end result will look like but I have informed you about it through this website..... but still you like to speculate.

The project is costing you, the residents of Silsden, nothing because it is grant funded. The grant is finite and much of the work so far has been done on a voluntary basis.

Keighley Campus were going to provide students to build the surrounding wall which will hide the metal structure. In fact the walling will also provide an area to plant flowers and you will see very little of the barrier when it's not in use, which will be 99% of the time. The walling should have been started before the summer break but due to an unfortunate set of circumstances Keighley Campus have been unable to start.

So......... if there are any qualified builders (of walls) out there you might like to contact Silsden Town Council, I'm sure they would love to hear from you. All the local builders seem to be busy at the moment, but perhaps you are retired or between contracts. Please remember the budget is finite so the council will be looking for a good deal.

Earlier in this thread it was suggested we were now into flood season - there is no such thing. The beck is likely to be running higher but flooding is more likely to occur when the ground is hard when there is a runoff from the surrounding land - look at our flooding history.

The fact the barrier is not finished does not change the flood protection for St Johns Street, sandbags can still be used and the last instance of flooding was because of a blocked drain and runoff from the park.

When the barrier is finished anyone will be able to put it in place. For safety reasons it will be locked open. The means to open it will be available 24/7 by ringing a number, there will also be local residents with the ability to close the barrier. The mechanism is mechanical and the barrier will slide into place by turning a simple wheel.

Now give STC a break and get involved rather than moaning. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. angryangry

Rosy Lea
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 22:57:22      reply with quote

AT LAST..we have some facts from Peter!!

Peter why do you let people run a Topic.. then have a go at folk for speculating and talking rubbish...then...and only then decide....okay Iíll give them some facts.

As we expect you know a lot more than you let on.

Pretty Poor carry on that..if you ask us.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 11:18:39      reply with quote

Don't you think Peter has to try to remain impartial and not descend into petty arguments? The facts were out there and you couldn't be bothered to go find them. Instead you carried on abusing Peter and STC. That's the real pretty poor carry on I think.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 23:35:53      reply with quote

Many thanks for the info regarding the operation of the floodgate. I didn't realize that this has been mentioned in the forum before. As a St.Johns Street resident I would of course be interested to find out which residents of this street will hold a key.

Replies in this thread : 51
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Flood Defences  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to