Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Info: Mr William Knox of Raikes

Replies in this thread : 19

Author

Topic : Info: Mr William Knox of Raikes

Julieann
Website Member

Website Member

14/11/2014 : 12:42:06      reply with quote

As an Irish wolfhound historian I am researching the above gentleman.I think his wife was Edith, daughter of Sir John Clough. They owned over 20 Irish wolfhounds between 1920 and 1940. The Kennel name was Raikeshill. I would be grateful for any information or photos. Thank you for your time.
Julieann
click for more information

nabend
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 08:53:11      reply with quote

I remember my father talking about helping out at an Irish wolfhound breeder's kennels as a lad. That, I suppose, would have been in the early to mid 30's. Unfortunately, he died in June.

Julieann
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 14:07:41      reply with quote

posted by nabend
I remember my father talking about helping out at an Irish wolfhound breeder's kennels as a lad. That, I suppose, would have been in the early to mid 30's. Unfortunately, he died in June.

Thank you for thinking of it though!
Julieann

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 15:44:06      reply with quote

William Knox was a partner in the textile firm of John Knox, Airedale Sheds, and lived at Raikes Hill (now a care home). It was his wife - a daughter of Sir John Clough of Keighley - who began keeping and breeding Irish wolf hounds in the early 1920s. Eventually she owned 20 hounds and showed them at some of the biggest shows in the country; some of the dogs came from kennels belonging to the Princess Royal.

In 1934 the Knoxes moved from Silsden to a new home in Hurst Green, Sussex. They had to charter a special train from Steeton and Silsden to take themselves, their servants and dogs on the 250 mile journey. A number of workpeople from Knox's mill gathered at the station, attracted by the unusual spectacle.

The train comprised two passenger carriages for Mr and Mrs Knox and twelve staff; two vans accommodating the dogs; five vans for the dog kennels; eight wagons with containers of furniture; and two vans with motor and other vehicles. Breakfast was taken at Leicester where the dogs were exercised.

Julieann
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 16:21:06      reply with quote

Thank you was he a brother of John Knox would you know? I have all the wolfhound information it was more about William and his wife birth dates etc.,or where I can find them. They are not on the usual archives sites for some reason? Again thank.
Julieann

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

15/11/2014 : 19:20:37      reply with quote

William was the brother of John Knox junior. They came from a Scottish family, who moved to Silsden to open a mill. Both John and William were excellent rugby union players; John played in internationals for Scotland.
William married Edith Clough in 1907.

Julieann
Website Member

Website Member

16/11/2014 : 11:10:02      reply with quote

Thank you Thank you <G>
This helps more than you realise.
Much appreciated and anything further if I am not imposing too much
Julieann

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

16/11/2014 : 13:19:45      reply with quote

You should be able to check family history info at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it's free as well!

posted by Julieann
Thank you Thank you <G>
Julieann

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

16/11/2014 : 13:28:37      reply with quote

According to Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scotland_national_rugby_union_players ), John made his debut for Scotland against Wales in February 1903 (he's number 252 on the list). The Scottish RFU archives (www.scottishrugby.org/murrayfield-stadium/library) may have more info.

happy :)

((b]
posted by Julieann
Thank you Thank you <G>
Julieann

Julieann
Website Member

Website Member

16/11/2014 : 15:22:22      reply with quote

The 1903 John being William's brother, so presumably John Knox Snr did not move to Silsden until after 1903 to buy the mill? If I manage to get my chapter together I would be happy to send it to you if you are interested?
Julieann

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2014 : 12:38:28      reply with quote

No,the Knoxes in Silsden go back many years before 1903. (You could play for Scotland just by being born there).

I have come across a reference to the death of Mr John Knox jr, former head of the family firm, at his home in Winchelsea Sussex in April 1964 aged 83 (which gives you an approximate birth year!)

The firm of John Knox, it says, moved to Silsden from Scotland in the time of his grandfather and he was the third John Knox to head the company.He retired in 1946 and was succeeded by his eldest son (another John of course). John represented Yorkshire RU in 1900 and was three times capped by Scotland in 1903.He was also regarded as one of Silsden's best ever batsmen at cricket. Sorry, I have found no further reference to brother William, except that he also played for Yorkshire RU as a forward, but he was obviously a bit younger than John jnr or he would have been head of the firm.

Airedale weaving shed was founded by another Scot called Angus Nicolson from Stornoway in 1871. (You can read more about him by googling Stornoway Historical Society) It was a huge building and he rented it out to a variety of employers, which was when Knoxes arrived. Soon there were 1000 looms at work in the shed, plus burling and twisting rooms; the Knoxes and Berry and Fletcher were the biggest firms, employing over 800 workers in the peak years. My dad worked there for several years as a piece looker.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2014 : 13:13:39      reply with quote

posted by greenlanes
No,the Knoxes in Silsden go back many years before 1903. (You could play for Scotland just by being born there).

I have come across a reference to the death of Mr John Knox jr, former head of the family firm, at his home in Winchelsea Sussex in April 1964 aged 83 (which gives you an approximate birth year!)

The firm of John Knox, it says, moved to Silsden from Scotland in the time of his grandfather and he was the third John Knox to head the company.He retired in 1946 and was succeeded by his eldest son (another John of course). John represented Yorkshire RU in 1900 and was three times capped by Scotland in 1903.He was also regarded as one of Silsden's best ever batsmen at cricket. Sorry, I have found no further reference to brother William, except that he also played for Yorkshire RU as a forward, but he was obviously a bit younger than John jnr or he would have been head of the firm.

Airedale weaving shed was founded by another Scot called Angus Nicolson from Stornoway in 1871. (You can read more about him by googling Stornoway Historical Society) It was a huge building and he rented it out to a variety of employers, which was when Knoxes arrived. Soon there were 1000 looms at work in the shed, plus burling and twisting rooms; the Knoxes and Berry and Fletcher were the biggest firms, employing over 800 workers in the peak years. My dad worked there for several years as a piece looker.
Nicholson Place?

One of the Fletchers lived at Raikes House

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/11/2014 : 13:17:27      reply with quote

Peter posted a picture on my behalf of a latter John Knox retiring.
If you click on "local history" on the left of this page, then the picture is on "John Knox mill" on the drop down box

Julieann
Website Member

Website Member

26/11/2014 : 15:54:55      reply with quote

Thank you very much for the info on William Knox, it seems he was the quiet brother? If any other information is remembered would certainly like to see it. Meantime you have given me some great tips to work on. Julieann

Knoxhunter
Website Member

Website Member

09/04/2016 : 12:29:20      reply with quote

Hi, any more information on the Knoxs would be great.

If anyone knows where John Knox senior was buried (c 1910) it would be fantastic.

Great story on William and Edith moving south, there is some good photos on the net of her and the hounds.

The Knox family are closely related to me (even though I am in NZ) and any extra info or stories you guys and gals can find, would be most welcome.

Also any of the local papers that may have had an item on John Knox seniors death, would be great.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

09/04/2016 : 17:43:39      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Peter posted a picture on my behalf of a latter John Knox retiring.
If you click on "local history" on the left of this page, then the picture is on "John Knox mill" on the drop down box
www.silsden.net/pictures/mills/John_Knox.htm

Knoxhunter
Website Member

Website Member

10/04/2016 : 08:46:03      reply with quote

Thanks Peter, I saw that on the other post.

A date for that photo would be great, I believe that it looks like the 60s, but working on a few birth dates, its a bit weird ..

John snr b abt 1850, died 1910 in Silsden.

John jr (b 1880) moved to Sussex

John jr2 (b 1910) .....

So the current theory is, that's John b 1880 retiring and handing on to John b 1910 ? ? ?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/04/2016 : 11:18:13      reply with quote

The picture is 1960's.
Theres a bit here where former MP(1990's) Gary Waller talks of John Knox MD

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm198990/cmhansrd/1990-01-12/Debate-4.html

Knoxhunter
Website Member

Website Member

11/04/2016 : 00:15:15      reply with quote

Ok, so that means the photo is JOHN jr2 passing it on to a JOHN jr3 !

Thank you, for all your help.

Knoxhunter
Website Member

Website Member

11/04/2016 : 00:18:36      reply with quote

Yeah I had read that parliamentary record, so sad that old firms like the Knoxs and many others got wiped out by cheap imports. sad :(

Replies in this thread : 19

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Info: Mr William Knox of Raikes  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to