Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > bridge over bypass

Replies in this thread : 7

Author

Topic : bridge over bypass

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2014 : 09:32:23      reply with quote

I see the transport secretary has paid a visit to see for himself the dangers of crossing the bypass, hopefully something will come of it and we will get a bridge
click for more information

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2014 : 13:24:38      reply with quote

This is good news so well done to our MP Kris Hopkins for getting the Transport Secretary to have a look. Its something the Governments Transport Ministry should have provided when the road was built so its only right that it is now provided and that the Government pay for it.
Lets hope nobody uses the project in a game of political football and starts demanding £25,000 from the Town Council(money which belongs in Silsden) or getting Tesco to fund it with money from a Section 106(money which should be spent in Silsden)

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2014 : 13:36:06      reply with quote

Yeah right - and they wont do squat. Its all due to the event happening next may and the fact that the Tories are struggling in the polls.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2014 : 08:20:59      reply with quote

I notice that The Transport Secretary and MP Kris Hopkins were joined in looking at this by the Chair of Addingham Parish Council, Catherine Coates. Addingham????
It appears that having stood as an Independent at the last council election Catherine has joined the Tories and will stand for them next time.
The Mallinson News, sorry I mean Keighley News seem to have turned it into a party politics story.

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/11614182.Transport_Secretary_in_Steeton_and_Silsden_to_hear_the_case_for_pedestrian_bridge/

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2014 : 14:10:17      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
or getting Tesco to fund it with money from a Section 106(money which should be spent in Silsden)
Oh look what a surprise, who'd a thought it

This appeared on the council planning website yesterday...the day after I posted the above

"Developer Contribution

Silvermantle is committed to making a financial contribution of £100,000 towards the development of a foot/cycle bridge across the A629....
The contribution would be secured by way of a S 106 Agreement between Silvermantle and Bradford Council"

It seems anything done by Bradford Council is decided behind closed doors and this and the transport secretary turning up shows decisions are made WITHOUT any consideration to the people of Silsden. I bet the Chair of Addingham Council knows more about this than the Chair of Silsden Town Council

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2014 : 17:13:24      reply with quote

None of this alters the fact that either a bridge or underground pass was not built at the time of the construction of the bypass. Neither was one installed a few years later when strengthening works had to be carried out due to subsidence. Why is it that the planners had the forethought to install a subway at Crosshills and the B&Q roundabout, did they fail to install one close to a busy railway station. It is equally hazardous at the Hard Ings end of the bypass.

I for one, would be VERY surprised if Tesco built or purchased a store in Silsden given their current and forecast position in the retail sector. Having said that, funding for projects of this nature are not readily available. BMDC are not to be trusted in any form and central government are crying the poor tale. Any viable funding sources should be followed up. If this includes requirements for new developments to contribute towards it. Then so be it. After all, what price is a life? RTA's and RTC's are a frequent event on this roundabout it is fortunate that fatalities have been few and far between in the last 25 years or so.

More vehicles on the road, reducing standards of driving, increasing stress on lifestyles = more accidents.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2014 : 17:33:44      reply with quote

posted by GAMEKEEPER
None of this alters the fact that either a bridge or underground pass was not built at the time of the construction of the bypass. Neither was one installed a few years later when strengthening works had to be carried out due to subsidence. Why is it that the planners had the forethought to install a subway at Crosshills and the B&Q roundabout, did they fail to install one close to a busy railway station. It is equally hazardous at the Hard Ings end of the bypass.

I for one, would be VERY surprised if Tesco built or purchased a store in Silsden given their current and forecast position in the retail sector. Having said that, funding for projects of this nature are not readily available. BMDC are not to be trusted in any form and central government are crying the poor tale. Any viable funding sources should be followed up. If this includes requirements for new developments to contribute towards it. Then so be it. After all, what price is a life? RTA's and RTC's are a frequent event on this roundabout it is fortunate that fatalities have been few and far between in the last 25 years or so.

More vehicles on the road, reducing standards of driving, increasing stress on lifestyles = more accidents.
A bridge is required but will not mean less accidents. From 2005 to 2013 there was 24 recorded accidents and 23 were accidents involving 2 or more vehicles

midway
Website Member

Website Member

11/10/2015 : 15:11:45      reply with quote

Keighley MP Kris Hopkins is demanding a bridge be built to link two villages divided by a dual carriageway before someone is killed.

The politician has launched a petition calling for the construction of a new pedestrian bridge over the A629 dual carriageway to serve the communities of Steeton and Silsden.

Mr Hopkins has campaigned on this issue for more than a year and, before the General Election, gave Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin a guided tour of the area to make the case for the project.

He has now invited Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones, the minister with responsibility for roads and highways, to make a similar visit.

“Since the General Election, I have continued my dialogue with Transport Ministers and I am confident that Andrew Jones will come to the area very soon to see the need for the bridge and hear the views of local people,” said the MP.

“In the meantime, I will be asking residents and business people to sign my petition so that Andrew and his officials can be left in no doubt about the strength of local feeling on this matter.”

Mr Hopkins is writing to local residents requesting their views and outlining his arguments in favour of the bridge.

He has visited high street businesses in Silsden to give out his petition and ask for their support

He said: “There is a very clear need for a bridge to be built across the A629, adjacent to Steeton and Silsden railway station. It is an incredibly busy road and I have long feared that the lives of pedestrians are at risk if something isn’t done.

“There is a strong desire amongst Steeton and Silsden residents and local businesses for the two communities to be properly linked.”

Keighley News 10/10/2015

Replies in this thread : 7

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > bridge over bypass  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to