Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Rossendale Taxi's

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Rossendale Taxi's

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 08:38:04      reply with quote

Have you noticed how many taxi's registered in Rossendale are on our streets?Its a way of cutting costs and safety checks

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11621152.Taxi_drivers_dodge_district_s_strict_safety_checks_by_exploiting_legal_loophole/
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 09:58:43      reply with quote

I have just finished reading that article, I remember a driver at silsden taxis that used to come from Blackburn every day, don,t know if he still works there.People will always find ways to bend rules, quite worrying.Some of the taxis I have been in are in a right state and make me quite nervous

BINNSY
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 10:52:54      reply with quote

For a lot of years most of Skipton Taxis came from Dewsbury and vice versa Skipton taxis were in Dewsbury.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 12:25:03      reply with quote

If these taxis are doing a pick up that is wrong, they can only pick up in the area they are plated for. If you see them pick up you should report them. When I ran a taxi service from Elliott st in the 80s I took a fare to Skipton and when I dropped the passenger off a lady asked me to take her to Silsden some one saw this and reported me to Bradford Met..

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 15:33:26      reply with quote

Taxi safety is important and just recently out of 66 vehicles stopped 18 were suspended

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11621677.Crackdown_leads_to_18_Bradford_taxi_licences_being_suspended/?ref=mr

midway
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 15:55:28      reply with quote

Will somebody correct me if i have got this wrong. - Hackney carriages licensed for one area can lawfully operate anywhere else in the country as a hackney carriage. If this is correct can they use a hackney carriage rank in any part of the country? --Are private hire cars restricted to a specific area?---Is it possible if i requested a car from Silsden taxis i could be in a taxi from Rossendale?

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 16:36:20      reply with quote

Answer to your question, a taxi can only pick up in the area it is registered, any taxi from Bradford could pick up in silsden if you flagged it down but it could not pick up in skipton or any area out of Bradford, private hire can only operate via phone call and cant pick up any other way.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 16:48:05      reply with quote

Just a thought, can you state you want a driver with a Bradford licence when you ring up to book a taxi?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 16:54:34      reply with quote

I wonder if anybody from Silsden Taxis would like to answer our questions?

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

24/11/2014 : 19:15:18      reply with quote

Grandad, I am not from silsden taxis, but if you ring them and ask for a taxi you should get a taxi, make sure you do not get a private hire as they run both. With private hire you pay a standard charge and the fare you can negotiate, that is why they are called private hire. Thats what the regulations were when I was on the road. And another thing taxis should only operate from a rank, Silsden town has no rank. But like lots of other things today no one bothers with the rules

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

25/11/2014 : 14:22:01      reply with quote

Thanks for the advise re taxi's and private hire.
But it doesn't answer my question, can you ask for a driver with a Bradford licence?

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

25/11/2014 : 14:33:28      reply with quote

Grandad, if they operate in the Bradford district they will have a Bradford licence, ok will that answer do..

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

25/11/2014 : 19:03:25      reply with quote

wheelaman, that may be true for a taxi but not for private hire, which is what this whole thread is about.

If you rang silsden taxis and asked for a taxi licensed from Bradford you would probably get a private hire not a taxi.

Private hire can be licensed from anywhere and operate anywhere else quite legally.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

25/11/2014 : 19:09:19      reply with quote

I think we have established that Rossendale taxi drivers are working from Silsden Taxi office. What is not clear is, are these hackney carriage registered drivers/cars, or otherwise. Now it is not disputed that Rossendale Taxi Tests are a lower standard than Brad Met Tests. So it is not unreasonable to ascertain where the Taxi is registered, as per grandads question. ANY BODY .

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

25/11/2014 : 19:21:46      reply with quote

Next time I use them if it turns up with other than a Bradford registration I shall ask for a cheaper rate in line with their cheaper overheads

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

26/11/2014 : 10:05:23      reply with quote

jonno, thanks for your reply, I shall look into this today..

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

26/11/2014 : 10:25:33      reply with quote

jono and others, enquires completed. Bradford Met and other metropolitan areas are jointly working on this problem but because of the legal implications it could take a long time to resolve ( years & years )My answer would be to avoid using the silsden service.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

26/11/2014 : 15:36:56      reply with quote

how can you tell where it is registered? are they supposed to have something in the vehicle? I got a silsden taxi today and no idea where he came from, could not actually see any id

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

26/11/2014 : 15:48:07      reply with quote

gingo, there should be a plate at the rear of the vehicle to say who it is registered with and driver should have ID on him, but who asks to see this, ( you call a car get in give your destination get there pay and get out.)..

midway
Website Member

Website Member

28/11/2014 : 17:49:46      reply with quote

TAXI drivers are dodging Keighley and Bradford districtís strict safety checks by exploiting a legal loophole. Many drivers are getting their licenses from Rossendale Council in Lancashire This means Bradfordís licensing enforcement officers, who often carry out spot safety checks on cabs in and around Keighley, have no jurisdiction over these drivers. how does the public know the man sitting behind the wheel is the man who has actually got the licence? They donít. Can Bradfordís hackney carriage enforcement officers ask them that question? No they canít.Ē

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2014 : 19:00:13      reply with quote

Now Bradford taxi drivers think they are badly done too with local council enforcement.

ANGRY minicab drivers are threatening to blockade Bradford City Hall this week over claims council regulators are suspending cabbies unfairly.

Private hire drivers say up to 500 cars could turn up at the protest, planned for Friday, unless urgent changes are made.

On Friday night, they staged smaller impromptu demonstrations outside both City Hall and Shearbridge Depot, where the district's taxi enforcement service is based.

Khurram Shehzad (pictured), chairman of the Bradford Private Hire Liaison Service, claimed enforcement officers were suspending the licenses of drivers for misdemeanours as trivial as having a headlamp bulb out.

He called for drivers to be given 24 hours to replace a blown bulb instead.
solid wood flooring

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2014 : 21:41:55      reply with quote

Next time you get in a taxi, just look and see if the driver is wearing his seatbelt. The last few taxis I have been in, none of the drivers have worn theirs and covered up the illuminated sign on the dash board with business cards etc. Quite annoying when they have an audible alarm going off as well!

If they cannot abide by the rules of the road, they shouldn't be on the road. The same old sector crying the hard done to tale!

NUTTY WALTER
Website Member

Website Member

14/12/2014 : 21:55:46      reply with quote

Well said Gamekeeper i must say old nutty has had a few hair raising experiences in them ther silsden joe baxies

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2014 : 00:24:18      reply with quote

Private hire drivers (those driving Ďnormal' road cars used as taxis) have to wear a seat belt when they DON'T have a passenger. They are exempt from wearing a seat belt when they have a passenger for safety reasons to prevent or avoid attacks

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

15/12/2014 : 16:33:40      reply with quote

Diesel is cheaper these days wonder if fares will come down?

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2014 : 15:36:30      reply with quote

Silsden taxis did not increase their fares, they've not had an increase in over two years, perhaps they'll benefit from the fuel price reduction.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2014 : 16:13:26      reply with quote

posted by Grandparent
Silsden taxis did not increase their fares, they've not had an increase in over two years, perhaps they'll benefit from the fuel price reduction.
Unleaded

2011...133.8p
2012...135.2p
2013...130.6p
2014...112.9p

and cheaper cost by using Rossendale

Even airlines are reducing air fuel duty

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2015 : 09:22:32      reply with quote

I see over 1/3 of taxi's fail random checks on if they are roadworthy.Scary thing is they are not really random as the council give 24 hours notice and only on vehicles over 6 years old.
To remedy the situation the taxi drivers are proposing that they are given 48 hours notice!!!!!

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/12911487.More_than_a_third_of_cabs_still_fail_random_vehicle_checks_in_Bradford/

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2015 : 10:03:32      reply with quote

they should be pulled in at side of road like they sometimes do with hgv's etc.I wonder when any silsden taxis were last checked

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2015 : 14:36:49      reply with quote

I followed one of the Rank taxis into Ilkley on Tuesday night. One of the white Citreons, with the green band. If I remember rightly, it was a 56 plate. The taxi, whenever under acceleration, kicked out one hell of a black cloud of smoke. It was like something out of a cartoon strip.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2015 : 18:42:43      reply with quote

I would say that some of these drivers look after there taxis and drive them as if they are in another country

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2015 : 19:19:25      reply with quote

yes 11 thats 33% suspended in the checks on the 24th/25th of april on 34 taxis in the the kly/bingley/xroads,cullingworth and haworth areas,reasons where unlicenced,defective cars,defective lights and tyres,no private hire sign and no badge,makes u think next time u book onesad :(sad :(angry,saying that i think the quality of silsden taxis are rather goodhappy :)

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

06/05/2015 : 15:48:25      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
yes 11 thats 33% suspended in the checks on the 24th/25th of april on 34 taxis in the the kly/bingley/xroads,cullingworth and haworth areas,reasons where unlicenced,defective cars,defective lights and tyres,no private hire sign and no badge,makes u think next time u book onesad :(sad :(angry,saying that i think the quality of silsden taxis are rather goodhappy :)
I came down North Street, one day last week, returning home, when one of theirs pulled straight out of Bell Square and went up the side of the Co-op. He missed the front of my car by a matter of feet. Fortunately, I was only doing 20mph. It was a dark silver Avensis. I nearly called in to the office to give them a piece of my mind but a, I had my daughter in with me and b, I figured I would be wasting my breath.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

06/05/2015 : 15:48:33      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
I came down North Street, one day last week, returning home, when one of theirs pulled straight out of Bell Square and went up the side of the Co-op. He missed the front of my car by a matter of feet. Fortunately, I was only doing 20mph. It was a dark silver Avensis. I nearly called in to the office to give them a piece of my mind but a, I had my daughter in with me and b, I figured I would be wasting my breath.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

11/05/2015 : 06:40:44      reply with quote

m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/12942056.Cabbies_face_insurance_crackdown_amid_concerns_over_licensing_loophole/

Old news in today s T&A online.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

05/10/2015 : 04:00:56      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13802933.Bradford_passengers_urged_not_to_use_Rossendale_cabs_amid_safety_fears/?action=success#comment_14706190
m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13838745.Trans_Pennine_taxi_tensions_escalate_as_Lancastrians_hit_back_at_Bradford_Council/

Each authority, although that is a misnomer, should be abl to pull ANY taxi in for inspection, regardless of where it was licensed.

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Rossendale Taxi's  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to