Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > TESCO APPLICATION

Replies in this thread : 59
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : TESCO APPLICATION

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2014 : 18:11:24      reply with quote

The Tesco planning application will be discussed at the STC meeting tonight.

AGENDA

www.silsden.net/town_council/docs_14/14_meetings/STC_meeting_agenda_Dec2014.pdf

If you would like to see the latest proposals (and there have been a lot of new drawing and other documents added in November) this is where you will find them:

www.planning4bradford.com/online-applications/

Search using the planing application number 14/01059/MAF

click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2014 : 09:46:55      reply with quote

An interesting meeting last night

The council rejected the plans on the grounds of not sufficient use made of the area to provide employment. The area Tesco want to build on has been designated for employment, most of the ground area for the proposed Tesco would be used for a car park / all-weather football pitch.

The employment figures put forward by Tesco was considered to be optimistic.

From the retail impact assessment the following figures were extracted:

If the store was build.........

With Aldi trading as well, there would be a 36% negative impact on trade at the CO-OP

There would be a 10.2% negative impact on local trade (Kirkgate / Briggate)

There was no revised Highways Report available, so the impact the proposed traffic lights on Keighley Road would have on traffic could not be commented on. The council will ask to comment on this before making a judgement.

The housing area (Sykes Lane) beyond the Tesco site which would be accessible if the Tesco plan went ahead was alluded to in reports but not really taken into consideration as far as the increase in traffic this would generate.

It must be said several councillors were in favour of the proposal and suggested competition was a good thing. On a personal point of view I wonder how any small business can compete with a store that sells everything, with a car park outside, and open from 7am to 10pm (or longer)

There will be a chance to see the plans and ask questions as soon as a venue and time can be arrange. All the plans, comments and documents can be seen online using the details in my previous post.

The plans now go through to the Keighley Area Planning which will consider the application on 8th January.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2014 : 10:13:13      reply with quote

interesting to see the revised documents include a £100,000 contribution to a bridge over the trunk road

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2014 : 11:02:29      reply with quote

posted by hat
interesting to see the revised documents include a £100,000 contribution to a bridge over the trunk road
There is a provision on this - this bribe (sorry contribution to the community) will only be valid for about 2 years, if the bridge was not built in this time the donation requirement would lapse and not have to be paid. This is only a 10th of the total estimated cost for the bridge, how long do you think it will take to get this bridge actually built?

Would we ever see the money?

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2014 : 15:08:32      reply with quote

I see the usual half empty Silsden glass is out again!

We have the chance of a £100k contribution for a new bridge. With the election next year we have had a Cabinet Minister getting involved. Now is the time for our 3 councillors to twist the arms and get the Project going.

Maybe it will come to nothing but if Silsden folk keep saying it won't then don't expect outsiders to fight for the cash - the money will go to other towns who make positive claims for their projects.

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2014 : 17:52:15      reply with quote

Interesting Peter that you say it would have a negative effect on the Co-op.
According to my sources I believe the Co-op building is going up for sale.

Co-op bosses see the store as a non-profit making store (or not enough profit store!!)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2014 : 09:55:36      reply with quote

I'm just the messenger.

The retail impact assessment document was commissioned by Bradford Council and is part of the documentation associated with the Tesco application.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2014 : 17:08:56      reply with quote

I pray Tesco get the go ahead if only to wipe the smug, know it all, and dare I say arrogant smiles off some contributors of this forum.

Regardless of what the football club may or may not gain it would give jobs, choice and competition for the people of Silsden, note the word choice.

As for extra traffic, it would be spread over its opening hours, not altogether like a new school would have, not that I am against a school or housing.

rosco
Website Member

Website Member

09/12/2014 : 15:23:59      reply with quote

Just been reading some of the objections regarding the Tesco building.
Lesley Corcoran states STC question whether sports facilities can be allowed on land designated for employment, untrue ! the land in question is privately owned and does not effect the land designated for employment. Most of the proposal is already being used for sport and would not effect the employment issue at all, Teso will employ people I think wont they,this statement is very misleading from the STC. She also states the council has grave concerns over the safety of the junction, however part of the deal is Tesco will provide off road parking for use of the sports facilities surly this is a positive for years we have the moaners complaining about parking at Keighley road on a Sunday morning.Here we have a answer and STC is looking for feeble excuse to stop the project, shame on the council , you need to come up with better excuse than that your objection is completely misleading, you need to read the plans come down to the complex and do your research before you make objections, STC need to work in the best interests of the community, this proposal brings a new bridge to the town, more employment, better facilities for our kids sport, cuts down traveling time for them and the parents taking them to other venues and tidy's up the place ITS A RIGHT EYE SORE and the Tesco project will sort it all in one go. Come on STC get your act together you know it makes sense, what's the agenda here.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/12/2014 : 16:01:19      reply with quote

posted by rosco
Just been reading some of the objections regarding the Tesco building.
Lesley Corcoran states STC question whether sports facilities can be allowed on land designated for employment, untrue ! the land in question is privately owned and does not effect the land designated for employment. Most of the proposal is already being used for sport and would not effect the employment issue at all, Teso will employ people I think wont they,this statement is very misleading from the STC. She also states the council has grave concerns over the safety of the junction, however part of the deal is Tesco will provide off road parking for use of the sports facilities surly this is a positive for years we have the moaners complaining about parking at Keighley road on a Sunday morning.Here we have a answer and STC is looking for feeble excuse to stop the project, shame on the council , you need to come up with better excuse than that your objection is completely misleading, you need to read the plans come down to the complex and do your research before you make objections, STC need to work in the best interests of the community, this proposal brings a new bridge to the town, more employment, better facilities for our kids sport, cuts down traveling time for them and the parents taking them to other venues and tidy's up the place ITS A RIGHT EYE SORE and the Tesco project will sort it all in one go. Come on STC get your act together you know it makes sense, what's the agenda here.

I do not see how anybody can not support the benefits this would bring to the Sports Club.Every little helps as they say.The parking spaces should replace parking on Keighley Road and not be in addition because I can not see how they wont add double yellow lines on both sides of the road outside the ground.

The big concern for me are the traffic lights and access to housing. In school term the road into Silsden ia already over capacity with vehicles stooped on the roundabout. Excuse the pun its an accident waiting to happen.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

09/12/2014 : 17:58:56      reply with quote

Could somebody please expalin the great insight that aldi and Tesco have that the sites they have chosen are going to be profitable establishments?

What have I missed?

They both seem totally illogical. So please, what am I missing?

I want reasoned economic answers.

As I see it Tescos are in a big wobble. Aldi just seem to be expanding for the sake of it.

Personally I am looking forward to the Keelham Farm Shop opening at he auction end of the Skipton by-pass.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

10/12/2014 : 10:59:13      reply with quote

I see from the daily mail that Tesco are not going ahead with 100 superstores following the shock results I wonder if silsden is among them!! it did mention a few which were cancelled, one being Ilkley

hat
Website Member

Website Member

10/12/2014 : 11:07:00      reply with quote

that's why i'll be very surprised if they actually go ahead & build, the company is in free fall at the moment. i'd heard a while ago that Ilkley had been cancelled, spooners are looking to buy back the land they sold them & which Tesco cleared for them

rosco
Website Member

Website Member

10/12/2014 : 11:51:49      reply with quote

Hi Old miner,
Forgive me for asking but what's it to you if Tesco and Aldi don't make a profit.1.4 billion is not a bad start.I would suggest they will have done a feasibility study, both companies have a massive amount of data and resource, ok Tesco have over stated profits and their new CEO Dave Lewis has already made changes from the previous MD,s mistakes,to drive the company forward,its interesting that they have shelved Ilkley but see Silsden as viable.
Don't forget Tesco are forecasting a 1.4 billion pound profit despite the problems, with the new C/O in charge the share price will recover I am sure, Lets hope the new Silsden branch will be contributing to profit and new employment in our area, don't lose too much sleep worrying about profits, fill up your basket and think about the jobs you are creating.

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

10/12/2014 : 17:32:56      reply with quote

I agree the Gateway to Silsden is an eyesore. Somthing needs to be done to it, So why not welcome Tesco and all the many benefits it will bring to the Town.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 08:21:05      reply with quote

As no real information has been forthcoming I have the following observations.
There is a finite demand from Silsden for the goods offered by a small supermarket. So rather than providing more jobs, the jobs would be spread over all three.
Silsden is located mainly to one side of the canal with one small road bridge, an obvious bottleneck. One supermarket is situated within the populated side of the canal and is accessible on foot by personal vehicle and public transport. The new ones seem to be aimed at customers with personal vehicles only. Access will be from an already busy road with no obvious improvements planned or in place to aid extra traffic. Vehicles parked on the road are no help to traffic flow or pedestrian use of footpaths.
Aldi is currently on a roll, but pride comes before a fall. The shop location in Silsden is obviously based on interesting data which naturally will not be made public. If the premises have not become a car dealership within five years then economic text books will need rewriting.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 10:24:36      reply with quote

wtf - where do you get this from???? I haven't heard on one Aldi becoming a car dealership?? This is complete speculation on everyone's part. There is little chance of any manufacturing coming back into the town now - unless brad met give a huge incentive for someone to do so. considering that there many more deprived areas in both Bradford or Keighley that just isn't going to happen. So rather than hanging on to a pipe dream that this will happen isn't it better to have the area developed into something that both looks better and provides something for the community rather than just an eyesore?

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 11:19:29      reply with quote

Well put Dodzi, anything's got to be better than the approach we have at present, we need an injection of some sorts, and it isn't likely to be manufacturing any time soon sadly.

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 12:47:09      reply with quote

Misguided

This is how it works

Tesco moves into Silsden and as part of the development, access is provided to Sykes Lane so that 200 houses can be built

To provide access to the store and the housing, traffic lights are installed on Keighley Road.

The population of Silsden is held ransom to Tesco when trying to get out and into Silsden and we all queue on and from the duel carriageway every night to get home.

The 200 hundred houses (still to be built) and the houses down Belton Road are not enough customers to keep a store twice the size of the Co-Op in business and there is already a nice new and well run Aldi across the road providing cheaper shopping and better service across the road.... what to do.....

Tesco opens from 7am to 11pm and sells the same things the local high street shops sell but the local shops can only open from 9am to 5pm (and some have to close for lunch because they can't afford cover for lunchtime trading).

Tesco attracts ALL the passing traffic because it's easy to park and you can get petrol and a newspaper at the same time. There was petrol station across the road but that closed within a week of the Tesco petrol station opening and now it's a car wash... I don't think it's doing very well and I think that will close soon!

The local shops close because they just can't compete, the high street has a lot of empty shops now.

One of the shops forced to close because they have a drastic drop is sales is the Co-Op. This is the only food shop which is in walking distance of most of the population of Silsden. OK their prices were a bit more expensive and they have done their fair share of taking trade away from local shops on the high street.... but a Silsden without the Co-Op?

Hey, but look on the bright side. The area which was derelict has now got a brand new Tesco standing on it and a large carpark. It employs local people but not as many as they said would be required. The local football club has a piece of ground given to them, which they are now busy raising money for to build allweather pitches. The downside is there nowhere for visitors to park when they have a tournament because Tesco will not allow them to use their carpark and yellow lines have been put down Keighley Road because the road has become very busy lately.

It would have been cheaper to landscape the area and reject the Tesco application.

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 12:58:13      reply with quote

AAAh Fred!!

Its that time of year again! You should be on stage in the pantomime - Aladdin, Jack and the Beanstalk (or maybe the back end of the cow!)

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 13:15:17      reply with quote

Hey, but look on the bright side. The local football club has a piece of ground given to them, which they are now busy raising money for to build allweather pitches. The downside is there nowhere for visitors to park when they have a tournament because Tesco will not allow them to use their carpark and yellow lines have been put down Keighley Road because the road has become very busy lately.

The land we are "being given" is land they let us use now, rent free.

We could not raise the £140k needed for an all weather training pitch so it will continue to be used as floodlit training area.

Before the mill was closed we never used their car park but the field opposite the ground was generously given to us, and probably would be again.

We are trying now to have double yellow lines on the road opposite the ground and would even fund raise to help it happen.

What we would gain is a 44 space car park on land not needed by the supermarket an given to us by the land owners.

Hope the rest of your points are more accurate than the "Lets knock the football club" inaccuracies, looking at them, I fear not.
solid wood flooring

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 13:44:34      reply with quote

I didn't realise tesco sold haircuts and housing. The petrol station currently is at rip off prices....so who are these traders that tesco are going to take business from......Pauls? Computer Universe? The Nail bar? Maybe the news agents I'll give you that...The Rice Bowl....Silsden taxis.....Curry takeaways/restaurants.....Italian......Pet shop yes the pet shop......Kitchen Shop. I'm struggling to see which shops will be effected. The butchers, but most folks that use the butchers will continue to do so as they like shopping there.....

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 14:05:40      reply with quote

So Aldi and Tesco are going to close down the High Street - I think not! The only thing that impacts the viability of the High Street is YOU and ME. We decide where we spend our cash, so if Aldi and Tesco give better prices and services then of course we will move our custom..that's not rocket science. Similarly for those who don't like shopping in supermarkets then they can choose not do do so - but they will have to pay the current Silsden premium for this.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 15:08:15      reply with quote

Fred-----Thank you for your post, i think it reflects the views of the majority of the community. I hope the football club get everything they have been promised by Tesco, and flooding from the building site doesn't impede their activity. 200 extra houses could also be a problem, those with dogs will obviously use the football pitches, not all neighbors are football friendly.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 15:34:35      reply with quote

Lets bring back diphtheria and rickets. 3 day week, electric strikes.....sorry the world moves on.....

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 16:03:04      reply with quote

I seem to have upset the local football crowd ... OH DEAR sad :(sad :(

.... but there is more to life than football. happy :)

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 16:35:12      reply with quote

posted by Fred

I seem to have upset the local football crowd ... OH DEAR sad :(sad :(

.... but there is more to life than football. happy :)

Bill Shankley would not agree with that!!

rosco
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 17:23:10      reply with quote

Well The Tesco bid has certainly gathered lots of support, its interesting to see most of the pro for Tesco comments are based on fact not fantasy, Well Done to every one who wants to improve our Town and make it attractive place to live work and enjoy, shame on the "luddites" who would still prefer to go to the bottom of the garden to use the toilet, some times you have to admit you are wrong and cannot get in the way of progress.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2014 : 18:06:21      reply with quote

I hate football - but I'm struggling to see the arguments against holding much water.....

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 08:49:43      reply with quote

Aldi and the Tesco option are both dependant on the current obsession with the motor vehicle. Many people feel they have to be able to drive from their front door and be able to park as close as possible to their destination. Possibly the fastest situation is where people drive to a gym to run on a machine. Why not run to the gym?
But how long can this prevail? Their is a finite amount of space to people and vehicles. For whom should we prioritise? Currently cars seem to win over people. Trouble is people get fed up with traffic jams and find alternatives. Traffic jams on the road into Silsden will mean people will walk into the town. Everyone managed OK over the TDF weekend. It is not implausible that business through the Co-Operative will increase as getting out of town will become more difficult. This is the law of unforeseen consequences.
Just be careful what you wish for.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 09:37:31      reply with quote

Very good advice - you walk everywhere do you?????

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 10:52:36      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by old_miner
Possibly the fastest situation is where people drive to a gym to run on a machine. Why not run to the gym?

Most people who goto the gym use a combination of equipment, not just a treadmill. Or they would jus buy a treadmill and save on the journey!!

Keeping your feet in good shape and protecting your joints ensures you can continue with your workouts. Selecting the right shoe for the type of workout in which you're engaged is a critical part of your training preparation. Two types of shoes, cross-trainers and running shoes, share some similarities, but their differences mean you must select the right shoe for your activity

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 10:53:57      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Possibly the fastest situation is where people drive to a gym to run on a machine. Why not run to the gym?

Training shoes are different from running shoes. These footwear are not meant for everyone’s usage. They are perhaps the most versatile of all athletic shoes. Otherwise known as cross training shoes, these shoes are perfect for sports, as they provide the wearer or user with utmost comfort and stability. Because of their durability, they can also be used for many other physical events. However, these events do not include continuous running, because most training shoes are found to be heavier than running shoes.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 11:44:54      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
Very good advice - you walk everywhere do you?????
Within Silsden and down to the station - YES

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 13:34:39      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Well done - must be very heavy carrying your weeks shop. Better man than me.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

12/12/2014 : 16:34:43      reply with quote

well not a bad turn out last night(despite the rain)loads of questions asked and answers given,we only had one person who said they were in favour of the Tesco application, we are still awaiting the traffic survey which for some strange reason is not forthcoming, I was amazed that no one from the agents or Tesco turned up.maybe they have got the message.

Replies in this thread : 59
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > TESCO APPLICATION  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to