Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Please Be Extra Vigilant Yet Another Burgalry On Howden Road

Replies in this thread : 49
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Please Be Extra Vigilant Yet Another Burgalry On Howden Road

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2015 : 19:30:41      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Just to inform everybody that another burglary took place last night on Howden road so please be extra vigilant
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2015 : 21:46:35      reply with quote

where abouts and what time?

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2015 : 22:06:22      reply with quote

Sorry ginjo not sure of the exact time it took place i only know it was a house on Howden road sometime last night i am aware of the house it took place at but it is against Silsden.net rules to put house numbers on here for obvious reasons

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2015 : 22:13:27      reply with quote

ok, top bottom or middle?

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2015 : 22:18:26      reply with quote

ok top end

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2015 : 23:22:28      reply with quote

The policeman that routinely informed us about it earlier today told me that there were in fact two break-ins just a few doors apart at the upper end of Howden Road, and a shed broken into on Hainsworth Road, and the canal towpath was their likely route between these. He corrected me when I questioned him about three burglaries, apparently only two of them count, breaking into a shed is not "burglary" in the eyes of the law. He was handing out leaflets telling people to make sure and lock all the doors and windows etc, I would never have thought of that.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 10:13:25      reply with quote

"the policeman that routinely informed us" who would that be then? are you in a neighbourhood watch scheme, cannot remember the last time we saw a policeman round waterside/lowfield crescent etc

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 10:18:15      reply with quote

Can't rember the last time I saw a policeman, on foot, in Siksden. Could it be that they are all covering football matches in Bradford?

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 10:46:22      reply with quote

Gingo

We too live on Howden Road, the police were calling at most houses up here.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 15:26:48      reply with quote

If the posts on Silsden.net are anything to go by, the bulk of burglaries all appear to be on the Waterside:Howden Road area. What are the police doing about this pattern?

On the T&A website, there are claims that burglary crimes are reducing. This is clearly not the case in Silsden.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 15:26:49      reply with quote

If the posts on Silsden.net are anything to go by, the bulk of burglaries all appear to be on the Waterside:Howden Road area. What are the police doing about this pattern?

On the T&A website, there are claims that burglary crimes are reducing. This is clearly not the case in Silsden.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 15:55:25      reply with quote

I agree gamekeeper, I have lost track of the amount of break-ins round this area over the last year.The police have social media now but they do not appear to be tweeting about it or putting anything on facebook.If you go on the police website and click on my neighbourhood and follow it through to Keighley, the news is always out of date.Do you know whether there are any neighbourhood watch schemes still in existence in this area, a good few years ago there was one and everytime an incident happened, the police contacted the co-ordinator and a message was passed to everyone in the street, neighbour to neighbour

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 16:01:42      reply with quote

Gamekeeper you have just got me thinking there, The reason for that could be the people responsable may be traveling over the tops and down Robin hood to avoid the ANPR cameras in town ?

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 16:21:13      reply with quote

I have just looked on police uk website at the crime map, I looked to see how many crimes were reported in silsden foe all months last year (it only goes up to nov) silsden is very much higher than Addingham and Ilkley now why is that? Ilkley maybe understandable but how many houses are there in Addingham compared to silsden, it must be similar, Addingham stretches quite a way and has had a lot of new houses.It is sickening when you click on each individual crime for details just how many there are where no one has been caught.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 17:44:12      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
I agree gamekeeper, I have lost track of the amount of break-ins round this area over the last year.The police have social media now but they do not appear to be tweeting about it or putting anything on facebook.If you go on the police website and click on my neighbourhood and follow it through to Keighley, the news is always out of date.Do you know whether there are any neighbourhood watch schemes still in existence in this area, a good few years ago there was one and everytime an incident happened, the police contacted the co-ordinator and a message was passed to everyone in the street, neighbour to neighbour
ginjo i think our co-ordinator could be dogcatcher where out thou doggy???

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2015 : 22:09:45      reply with quote

Possibly Silsden is seen as a soft target!
Make sure you always lock everything either of value, or that might be useful to a thief securely away.
I have seen spades and shovels left outside; possibly handy for snow clearing? but also very handy to prise open a door or window.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2015 : 11:55:06      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

posted by hillbilly
posted by ginjo
ginjo i think our co-ordinator could be dogcatcher where out thou doggy???
only for the n watch scheme around where i live.u need to set up others,contact a community police person,they usually supply u with signs to put up etc,hav`nt got an up to date contact number sorry.we have had a big reduction in break ins etc since it was set up,definatly get a burgular alarm and 2 or 3 motion sensor lights round the property for a start. ps just got my report from police n/hood watch dept and at least one of the howden rd break ins had a euro lock snappedsad :( off ive put on here at least 6 times get these changed for the non snap type which are about 30 a lock but its worth itangryangryangrysad :(

Floyd
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2015 : 20:46:36      reply with quote

Just a theory the thief comes on the canal bank from keighley the first place he comes across is waterside mm rich Pickens ,what has been taken in these incidents just small stuff if they have come on the canal bank then they don't want to be carrying50inch TVs I think the police have rumbled this and have a pretty good idea who is responsible as I said just a theory

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2015 : 21:14:25      reply with quote

Yes nice one Floyd watch this space

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

20/01/2015 : 09:24:29      reply with quote

do you really think burglars are going to walk on the towpath all the way from Keighley? I do believe though that a lot of the burglaries are carried out by people from outside the area.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 10:32:10      reply with quote

Crime prevention!!!!!
It is sad to read that people in Silsden continue to suffer at the hands of burglars, but there is so much more THEY could be doing to help THEMSELVES as others have already highlighted ..... but they don't, thinking it will always happen to somebody else.
TIMER SWITCHES: THIS IS THE BEST BURGLAR DETERRENT OF ALL!
Burglars will look for unlit houses in the evening... because it means nobody is home! If it will be dark before you get home, or you are going out for the evening, set a lamp with a timer switch to come on. A hallway of landing is good. Consider curtains and blinds though to ensure your house isn't lit up like a goldfish bowl!
SNAP SAFE LOCKS. Nearly all UPVC doors these days have such locks. Any decent burglar can snap and enter your house silently in about 30 seconds. As a previous post said, it takes about 25 and about as many seconds to fit a snap safe lock to replace it. So why don't people?!
SASH JAMMERS. They only cost a few pence and can be ftted internally on UPVC doors and windows and act like bolts / window locks. Cheap and simple to fit.
CAR KEYS / DOOR KEYS. Don't leave them in a position in the hallway or foot of the stairs where they can be hooked out through the letter box using a long purpose made tool. Better to have car keys not visible at all. Have a hook in a hidden place to keep them on. A car might cost 15,000. Your car keys represent that. You wouldn't leave 15,000 cash on display, would you! It helps if you actually lock your house doors on an evening or at night!
SENSOR LIGHTS. Burglars don't like to work in a spotlight where they might draw the attention of neighbours. Be sure to set the sensor in a position where it can't be turned to face in a different direction ..... or else it is rendered useless.
BURGLAR ALARM. If you have done all of the above, you will hopefully not even need one, but they are another deterrent. You can buy cheap, wireless, DIY ones for under 100 (Homebase)
DIGITAL SAFE. For your jewellery, passports etc, buy a small floor safe. Drill through the base and screw internally into the floor boards at the back of a fitted wardrobe or similar.If you are not wearing the jewellery, its as easy to put it into a safe as it is to put it into a drawer.
PROPERTY MARKING / SERIAL NUMBERS. So you have a Samsung Smart TV stolen. The Police raid a house and find 5 of them. How are you going to prove one of them is yours? Use a UV marker pen to write your postcode and house number on the rear, or make a written note of the serial number.
BIKES IN GARAGES/SHEDS. Chain them to something when not in use.
CCTV. Another deterrent, but burgalrs will generally be aware of them and simply cover their faces.
So, next time we hear of a burglary in Silsden, it will be interesting to learn how it happened and what was stolen!

solid wood flooring

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 11:41:46      reply with quote

happy walker they wont listen i even offered to fit the locks on here 2 years ago did`nt get 1 reply,as you say they think it wont happen to themangry, but when it does, on go the new locks, burglar alarm and security lightssad :(angryshocked 8O

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 11:49:27      reply with quote

We can only try! I understand that when a burglary takes place, the Police go to neighbouring houses to alert them. Unfortunately people don't see crime prevention measures as an investment. They are prepared to pay for materialistic pleasures, but won't pay a penny or take the basic measures to protect them. We have had our rant, so its up to them now. The only problem is that if burglars identify an area as "easy pickings", it will only encourage them to keep returning.

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 13:17:08      reply with quote

The really good locks (Avocet ABS) are 40 each, I know because I just ordered three from Pickards in Keighley. They are selling them in such quantities that they send a van to collect batches from the factory twice a week.

We havn't been burgled but as more and more people do replace the old type locks there will be less houses to choose from when the burglars visit again.
I don't want to be one of the few on their list of targets.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 14:01:25      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

avocet are good ones and only from 20 on ebay, are anti bump anti drill and anti snap just like the yale or astral cisa ones happy :)happy :)

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 14:48:59      reply with quote

Hebden & Holden down by Keighley tip used to be reasonable too. Drive around Silsden 5pm on an evening and see how many empty houses in darkness you see!

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2015 : 17:34:26      reply with quote

posted by Happywalker
Hebden & Holden down by Keighley tip used to be reasonable too. Drive around Silsden 5pm on an evening and see how many empty houses in darkness you see!
Both Hebden & Holden and Pickards are good for most things. Have any of you tried Paul's DIY. If he hasn't got it, he will try and get it for you. He is here in Silsden. Just a thought.....

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

24/01/2015 : 12:35:02      reply with quote

I understand there were two more burglaries in Silsden daytime yesterday, again one at the top of Howden Road, and one up behind the Co-Op. Dont know anymore.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/01/2015 : 15:38:26      reply with quote

it is getting ridiculous now, has someone recently got out of prison, seems to be a mini crime wave. unfortunately sometimes once you have been burgled, the thieves come back again to the same house I know someone that happened to 3 times in a very short space of time, before they even had chance to get an alarm fitted

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

24/01/2015 : 19:28:03      reply with quote

Yes ginjo seems to happen a lot where the same house is burgled more than once the reason for that is usualy when they return the second or third time the insurance company has paid out for the first burgalry and so they know everything is going to be brand new on their return

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

24/01/2015 : 23:20:55      reply with quote

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

I have just got back in from the regular evening dog walk, we saw something on Howden Road and again on Ings Way that I have not seen for a few years.

TWO POLICE CARS Patrolling................. about flippin time !!!

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

25/01/2015 : 09:19:39      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

During the Silsden Town Council meetings, an officer gives a breakdown of crimes in the imediate area and looks at concerns. Would it be possible to have them included in the minutes? This would give a clear picture of REPORTED crime in the area.

I stress reported, because there is a known discrepancy between the number of crimes committed to the number of crimes reported, further confused by confused government figures, or burglaries of sheds and garages not being classed as burglary.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

25/01/2015 : 17:40:34      reply with quote

I suppose we do not really know how many police cars drive round our estates at night as we are all tucked up inside, they may do it every night but last night happened to be the night you saw them. I know a while ago, an off duty police officer who lives on waterside was on his way home from a night shift and caught someone who was equipped to burgle on Lowfield crescent and he apprehended him, more by luck though that he was in right place at right time.I do think the police are lacking in a lot of ways but everyone has to take responsibility for their own property and do as much as they can to protect it in the first place.Determined criminals will always find a way though

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

26/01/2015 : 22:13:12      reply with quote

Just heard from my daughter that a friend of hers has been burgled to day while she was at work, she lives on Jacques Grove. Still going on this one needs to be caught...

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

26/01/2015 : 22:43:45      reply with quote

You can get the crime stats from here (LHS sidebar > Town Council > crime stats)

www.police.uk/crime/?q=Silsden,

The only problems is they always lag the current date. However, the STC meetings held at the beginning of the month - first Thursday in the month, the police give a local crime briefing which is usually illuminating.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 00:23:06      reply with quote

theres also a new online watch link, OWL for short,just put owl in brouser and click on ithappy :)

Replies in this thread : 49
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Please Be Extra Vigilant Yet Another Burgalry On Howden Road  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to