Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > GENERAL ELECTION COMING

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 127
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : GENERAL ELECTION COMING

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

23/01/2015 : 09:10:14      reply with quote

Might as well start the ball rolling.

Evidently the Votaire comment about disliking a comment but defending the right for it to be said was in a letter.

Mail from Labour and Conservatves so far. Phone call about David Cameron, while having lunch so that one got short shrift.

John Grogann looks like a good deal. I have never met our current MP so will make no personal comments. However his absolute support for all current policies, especially the stupid bedroom tax sways my vote away from him.

Conservative questionnaire suggests that the nasty party is showing it's sharp teeth. Will be completing

Chinese curse. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/01/2015 : 09:24:27      reply with quote

Don't forget there will be a local election as well.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

23/01/2015 : 14:18:45      reply with quote

Working on the premise “Speak as You Find” I have met Kris Hopkins a few times in the last few years, and twice in the last two months at Silsden Sports Club, and always found him to be a perfect gent willing to listen and offer support.

To me a local MP, whichever party he is from, who puts himself about around local groups and companies deserves to be supported in return.

Not since the days of Bob and Ann Cryer have we been so well looked after.

So political persuasion aside, I think it common sense to support the man who has a record of looking after his constituency well, and not the political party he belongs to.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

23/01/2015 : 17:14:16      reply with quote

Worked wqith him at Brooks chippie in Keighley.........Voting Labour myself

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/01/2015 : 19:58:23      reply with quote

Will be interested to meet the Labour candidate for a chat. I am puzzeled why as a succesful MP for Selby he turned his back. Claims it was because his seat was divided in two. Hope it wasnt because he wasnt up for a fight.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

24/01/2015 : 08:02:12      reply with quote

His original seat went with boundary changes. He lives locally and there were no seats available nearby. There is a business mentioned so he probably went off to a bit of real work, something a lot of MPs of all persuasions could do with at times.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/01/2015 : 16:19:51      reply with quote

Tory leaflet arrived. They, as with Labour promise to protect the greenbelt. Anybody believe them?

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

25/01/2015 : 13:19:05      reply with quote

As Alf Garnett once said "I have lived under 13 different goverments and i have been bloody broke under all of em"

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

25/01/2015 : 13:34:03      reply with quote

posted by hillbilly
As Alf Garnett once said "I have lived under 13 different goverments and i have been bloody broke under all of em"
Haha. I had forgotten that little gem. Ir is still as true today, as it was back then. I really don't kno which party to vote for. There are pros and cons for each. One thing I do know, is that I have written to the leaders of each mainstream party with a problem I am experiencing. Over a month later, David Cameron has had an assistant reply to my letter. Kris Hopkins has had an assistant respond to my letter. I have had no response from Ed Milliband or the others at all. The response I received from David Cameron referred me back to a particular governmental department. I have yet to respond to Kris Hopkins letter.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 09:32:08      reply with quote

PM on the radio this morning. We seem to be world leaders in some things - not sure what though as they were all obscure financial statistics.

More worrying is the Sun newspaper. Seems they do not like pensioners much. Want to take away benefits from 'rich' pensioners. Things like the bus pass.

Actually the way to equalise universal benefits like the heating allowance and bus pass is to tax them. Universal benefits are cost effective. Means tested benefits are expensive to implement.

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 10:18:33      reply with quote

I have never understood why the winter fuel payment can be claimed by British pensioners living in Spain or France. But then I can't understand why families in this country are relying on food banks and soup kitchens whilst the government funds the Indian space program.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 11:02:31      reply with quote

I know of a brother and sister, both who have lived abroad from early 20s, can claim a British pension which somehow doesn't seem fair on the system.

As with a lot of folk, I really don't know who to vote for. Labour left behind one heck of a mess, plus a very lax attitude to immigration, and as for rubber gob Milliband enough said.I think after Iraq, Campbell was sent on his way, now they've brought him in to help Ed', what a mess.

Bring back Alf' Garnett, never a truer word.

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 11:25:32      reply with quote

Like you golden, I don't know who to vote for. On the one hand you have a bunch of public school/ Oxbridge educated barristers who rob the poor to give to the rich. Erode the rights of individuals in the name of security. Suck up to big business, allowing tax breaks for this and that, doing nothing about tax evasion among the super rich. And rewarding with a knighthood a man who closed his british factory and took production overseas. Then you have the Tories.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 13:08:30      reply with quote

you can only go by your own personal circumstances, do you feel better of under the tories or were you better off under labour? does anyone know whether silsden is having a ukip candidate this time?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 18:14:26      reply with quote

posted by old_miner

More worrying is the Sun newspaper. Seems they do not like pensioners much. Want to take away benefits from 'rich' pensioners. Things like the bus pass.

Actually the way to equalise universal benefits like the heating allowance and bus pass is to tax them. Universal benefits are cost effective. Means tested benefits are expensive to implement.
Not sure I agree that say Bernie Ecclestone who is sat on about £4billion should get a free bus pass,free TV licence and winter fuel payments. Its an extreme example but I think someone could come up with where to draw the line.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

27/01/2015 : 19:01:51      reply with quote

posted by Grandparent
I have never understood why the winter fuel payment can be claimed by British pensioners living in Spain or France.
Also hard to understand is why at 60, and still working, was I paid £200 cold weather payment.

Added to that i get free prescriptions, free bus pass, half price train fair and half price as a concession in most paid venues.

Did I mention pensioner specials at cafes and restaurants in the UK.

In my case the cost from 60 to 65 just for me is around;
Prescriptions £3,600 Cold weather Payments £1,000 Various concessions £600
£5,200 and how many like me in the UK?

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

28/01/2015 : 09:03:15      reply with quote

Not against any of the passes, heating allowances and free prescriptions, etc.

But these need to be Means Tested so that the people who can afford to pay do pay!

Ever tried to claim Disability Allowance? Now that's what I call a proper Means Tested Booklet!!!!

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

28/01/2015 : 16:38:25      reply with quote

Mesns testing is an expensive process, and everyone would have to be means tested to see if they were eligible. It would probably cost more than any savings. The system adopted, even including those living abroad in the sun is a flat rate to everyone.

Logical solution is to tax the benefit to make sure it is cancelled out only on those earning a certain amount. However for those on standard rate tax it means a reduction of the personal allowance by £400 for £100, ie £800 for £200.

Tricky decision for a politician. Waste money on a means testing programme or reduce pensioners allowance?

There is another solution which is to scrap all the allowances and increase the pension.

Bus pass one is an interesting one though. Now I can still drive, ride my motorcle and pedal my bicycle. I use the bus pass becasue it is convenient and supports public transport. However, it is obvious that a lot of people on the buse obviously really appreciate the pass as it allows them to get out and about more than would be possible if they were paying.

What would be more useful is compulsory health tests for those of us of a certain age to confirm we can still drive. There is a requirement but i think it is a bit late.

Making the bus pass national was down to Gordon Brown. He gets a lot of flak, but this i consider one of his best decsions.

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

28/01/2015 : 17:29:26      reply with quote

Buss passes and free prescriptions, only cost the state when they are used. Pensioners concessions at cinemas and restaurants cost the state nothing, they are a loss leader, a means of getting posterias on seats during quite times. The winter fuel payment is meant to prevent the heat or eat decision some pensioners face each winter. Ex pats living in Spain or france do not have to make that choice.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2015 : 17:52:16      reply with quote

Now is a good time to check you are registered to vote!!

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2015 : 18:49:59      reply with quote

I urge everyone to ask for a postal vote , this then saves you turning out if the weather is crap. then every year you will be asked if you want to vote by post,simples.
solid wood flooring

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2015 : 07:41:21      reply with quote

I see the Liberals have come up with a sensible announcement this morning.
Any pensioners still payng tax in the top tax bracket will lose winter fuel payments and TV licences

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2015 : 17:33:24      reply with quote

In respect of the winter fuel payments none of the parties have the bottle to explain that anything other than the current blanket payment system would cost real money which may, or may not be paid for by any savings. It is the law of diminishing returns.

While it does seem daft that everyone gets this payments in truth it is much cheaper than personalising payments. This is why the welfare budget is so high. Money wasted in trying to personalise every benefit, and failing!!!

Education is the same. Under local authorities certain costs and services were spread over all the schools. with independent free schools everyone has to do what the local authority did. No economies of scale, no efficienceis and plenty of wasted.

OK it means plenty more people get there nose in the trough of government hand outs supposedly doing it cheaper than the state. Of course generally they are not as can be seen by those who quickly bail out when the money tree stops.

Because the tories perpetuate the 'free market' con they actually cost us more than labour.

Local authorities are actually a good size for running things like education, public transport and many other services. It would make sense for local health to be under local control rather than by communist style central committees that always seem to be London based.

The free market has failed to provide;

decent social housing
reliable public transport
good education and training
affordable energy

and yet people still vote for the partys that promote the useless elements of the free market.

You can fool all of the people some of the tiem and all the people some of the time but you cannot fool all the people all of the time.

The time has come for a party promoting efficient services rather than political ones.

I do not think any of them are so vote (labour - with reservations I am sad to say)

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 07:51:19      reply with quote

Pensioner bonds an election bribe. Government could borrow money 9 times cheaper on open market.

Police cuts, less traffic police, child road deaths up.

HSBC helped rich to dodge taxes. HSBC CEO at time now a government minister!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 08:45:56      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Pensioner bonds an election bribe. Government could borrow money 9 times cheaper on open market.

Police cuts, less traffic police, child road deaths up.

HSBC helped rich to dodge taxes. HSBC CEO at time now a government minister!

I get your point about HSBC and there needs to be prosecutions although I will correct you in that the Former HSBC CEO is not and has not been for over a year, a Government minister.

Your bang on the money with the pensioner bond/bribe theme but we are all old enough to work out every Government in history offer sweetners just prior to elections

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 08:55:32      reply with quote

Yes, Green is no longer in government. Still dodging the story though.

For a government promoting economies all round it is a bit rich to then use government money on expensive savings schemes that are blatantly bribes. I would have thought all the supporters of the free market Tories would be playing the stock market and making a much better return than these bribe bonds.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 09:08:58      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am sure you remember Gordon Brown in March 2004 just before an election offering the following help towards council tax of
Over 65...£100
Over 70...£300
Over 80...£400

You just have to look beyond such things whichever party offers them

www.joswinson.org.uk/labour_pre_election_bribe_won_t_fool_pensioners

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 13:58:13      reply with quote

Come on old miner, you are not that naïve... ALL parties make promises/bribes before an election...That's what happens, and they very rarely deliver.
Surely you don't begrudge pensioners getting a few extra quid in their pockets from their hard earned savings? They will either spend it, helping the economy, or pass it on to their family to help them along in difficult times.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 15:08:27      reply with quote

As for the pensioner bonds, yes, we have taken them out. As pensioners who have worked since we were 15 years old, never claiming any benefits, paid our dues into the system, do you begrudge us getting a higher rate of interest? Having saved to fund our retirement we will probably never belong to the benefit class. I find it insulting that some can reap the benefit of others hard graft. Now it's my turn!!!

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 15:32:56      reply with quote

Difference is that Labour were not claiming to be cutting expenditure. That is the hypocrisy of the present chancellor.

All that glitters is not gold.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/02/2015 : 17:27:16      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Difference is that Labour were not claiming to be cutting expenditure.

You have lost me on that one.Are you saying because Brown had access to the country's coffers it was OK to offer bribes to the electors??????.It would explain why Labours Treasury Secretary, Liam Byrne left a note saying "I'm afraid to tell you there is no money left". Also goes towards explain why expenditure is being cut.

Seriously "I'm afraid to tell you" politicians will always offer "sweetners" its a fact of life in politics or nobody would vote for them.We can only make a judgement on how sincere they are but you have to accept in these days of spin its not just one party that is devious.Agree????????????

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2015 : 07:42:48      reply with quote

Labour are anti business.

Labour did not do enough to control the banks.

Tories, give workers a pay rise.

Trade Unions, give workers a pay rise.

Contradictions.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2015 : 08:11:49      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Labour are anti business.

Labour did not do enough to control the banks.

Tories, give workers a pay rise.

Trade Unions, give workers a pay rise.

Contradictions.
Labour didnt control the banks which turned out bad for business as many went bust, but the trade unions still wanted a pay rise, the coalition steadied the ship, better than anyone could imagine and now people should get a pay rise!!

On a serious note you are right, politicians dont let truth,facts,figures and contradictions get in the way of an election campaign. Always look deeper than the headlines. I saw a big headline from the Tories claiming old Pacer trains are to be scrapped.Saw a small headline today saying that might not be the case. No wonder people dont vote

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2015 : 08:14:04      reply with quote

This might help people as its not coming from a political party

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29642613

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2015 : 10:37:10      reply with quote

One thing from todays papers is a feature on how much (some) MP's earn from the BBC for appearing on news and current affairs. It ranges from Alan Johnstones 50 odd grand down to William Hagues £45.They shouldnt get anything for giving a biased view and its MP's from all parties!!

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2015 : 15:27:16      reply with quote

LEAVE MY FECKIN SWISS BANK ACCOUNT ALONE!!

Replies in this thread : 127
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< next page next page >>

Thread Closed

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > GENERAL ELECTION COMING  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to