Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > aldi

Replies in this thread : 17

Author

Topic : aldi

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2015 : 22:07:23      reply with quote

am I wrong in thinking that the plans for aldi stated that all deliveries would be accessed from the rear ie belton road.Having just walked round there today, I could not see where access would be other than the same access at the front.Surely this cannot be right, can anyone throw any light on this and also whether Aldi are contributing to any traffic management
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

01/02/2015 : 22:58:43      reply with quote

As far as I remember Aldi wanted to make deliveries at the back of the store but were not allowed (Bradford).

Don't know about any contribution to traffic management but I have noted the proposed positioning of traffic lights on Keighley Road to access the Tesco, now Silvermantle speculative planning application, would result in traffic queuing across the Aldi entrance - how's that for fair trading?

The plans for the Aldi application can be see here:
www.planning4bradford.com/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N9U5ZUDHLT000

The planning application number was 13/04193/SUB02

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

02/02/2015 : 09:48:36      reply with quote

unbelievable, I cannot understand how they have got away with it, it will be horrendous all traffic going in and out of the same entrance, something is not right here, the council seem to have bent over backwards to let this go ahead without it would seem any concessions.I hope that at the very least, traffic leaving Aldi will not be allowed to turn right (as in skipton)

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

02/02/2015 : 10:32:59      reply with quote

Aldi probably stock up overnight, so that may not be a problem. They open on 5th March, so let's see how it all goes. Pros and cons are always there somewhere but they all sort themselves out over time.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 10:57:37      reply with quote

you cannot assume that! The response from highways was pathetic, have a look at it online,heading Highway Consultation response to planning application 13/04193/MAF

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 13:04:56      reply with quote

Maybe you should go watch the Aldi traffic flow in Skipton, I pass it every day on my way to and from work, and rarely see any cars entering or leaving Aldi.

If you think about it, the worst case is how many people go through the tills with their shopping trolleys, there must be a few minutes between each one, so that will be the same number of shoppers vehicles entering and leaving the premises, hardly a massive queue of traffic.

In reality I don't think there will be too much impact on the Keighley road traffic.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 13:14:40      reply with quote

the point is that any wagons coming out of the site will take up a lot of the road thus holding traffic up on Keighley road, the highways department did point this out but aldi made minor adjustments to their plans and it has been passed.Skipton also does not allow a right turn coming out, you have to turn left which helps, I cannot see anywhere in the plans that states this will be the case in silsden.We will see what happens, but I do not think it will be very good

easynow
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 13:54:16      reply with quote

I Cannot wait until ALDI opens in Silsden its a smashing supermarket chain , the choice is good and the cost is right , saved 30.00 last Saturday on our big shop when we visited the Keighley store (we usually go to either Morrisons or Asda) but thought, lets give them a try as they are going to be on our door step soon , that's 1500 over a year , I won`t be to bothered if I have to turn left , go around the roundabout and come back on myself for that figure .

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 14:41:49      reply with quote

There should be a roundabout made at the Belton Road / Keighley Road junction...... but it seems the powers that be (Nathaniel Lichfield) who are the agents for Silvermantle (the land owners that want to develop the Becks Mill 'Tesco' site), say a roundabout would not work and want to put traffic lights on Keighley Road just down from the Aldi entrance. sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(

Nathaniel Lichfield presented their case at the last STC meeting and said they had looked at a roundabout and modelled the traffic flow and come to the conclusion a roundabout would not work and traffic lights would laugh :D angry - this is to service the speculative supermarket, Tesco having pulled out, and the land to Sykes Lane where developers want to build lots of houses.

The so called traffic engineer explained he had modelled the traffic flow and it would all work OK, and traffic lights on Keighley Road would not cause any delay. He then went on to talk about the Elliot St / Kirkgate / Keighley Road junction (no mention of Howden Road). It was pointed out to him the crossing was a staggered crossing Elliot St/Howden Rd/Kirkgate-Keighley Rd and the zebra crossing had been moved and had become a puffin crossing.

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 15:33:14      reply with quote

Never mind the traffic,have you tried the barbecue ribs???

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 15:34:20      reply with quote

The real point here is that the plans as exist have been PASSED - so there's no point moaning about it now. Complaining that its going to effect traffic is all conjecture at the moment on both side - you simply going to have to wait and see. One thing is for certain you can't make them un build the store now - unless your going to pay them to do so......

paulr72
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 17:54:46      reply with quote

I, for one, will be extremely happy when Aldi opens. The amount of times i've been into Coop for "essentials" & they've sold out is beyond a joke. How many people have actually bought a fridge, TV, etc. Them items are for larger stores, not for taking up floor space where foodstuffs should be. I would have thought that the imminent opening of Aldi would have given them a kick up the proverbial, but no. And why can they not get the serve-yourself tills ever working properly &, if they can't, why isn't someone stationed there, PERMANENTLY, to assist.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 18:41:26      reply with quote

We called in to the store in Shipley today, one word fantastic. Do so hope our store will have the same amount of stock. Keighley isn't a patch on Shipley for the choice available. Bring it on, can't wait for them to open.
Also, on the traffic question, let's wait and see. We go to Thirsk quite a lot and there's Lidl at one side of the main road and Tesco directly opposite. There is a roundabout at the entrances to the stores but never seen any holdups because of either store. I would guess that deliveries are made during night time hours as I have never seen a large wagon off loading daytime.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 19:32:52      reply with quote

Peter is so right about needing the roundabout at Belton Road, shame it won't happen soon... in time they will have to do it.
As for Aldi, we have used them for 4 years every week, and saved a fortune.. and we eat very healthily I assure you... it's not rubbish as some people make out. Aldi work on a 2% profit margin, other supermarkets on 6%, although they are now all re-thinking it to compete. Give Aldi a chance.. they will be an asset to Silsden.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 19:50:54      reply with quote

posted by Golden Oldie
We called in to the store in Shipley today, one word fantastic. Do so hope our store will have the same amount of stock. Keighley isn't a patch on Shipley for the choice available. Bring it on, can't wait for them to open.
Silsden will be a 5 aisle store!!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

03/02/2015 : 20:41:26      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
the point is that any wagons coming out of the site will take up a lot of the road thus holding traffic up on Keighley road, the highways department did point this out but aldi made minor adjustments to their plans and it has been passed.Skipton also does not allow a right turn coming out, you have to turn left which helps, I cannot see anywhere in the plans that states this will be the case in silsden.We will see what happens, but I do not think it will be very good
I don't think there will be any more lorries using Aldi than there is using Mayers, and they don'y cause that much trouble!

easynow
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2015 : 12:36:11      reply with quote

MMMMMM BARBECUE RIBS

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2015 : 17:17:24      reply with quote

There seems to be a proliferation of praise for Aldi. Personally I find them good - in parts.

Good points are the fast check out and ability to pack away from the till. Also the rotation of different items. i have bought a bit of DIY stuff there as they tend to be ahead o the rest with new products.

Becasue they have a restrictive product range it is the choice that is poor. Certain basic products like instant coffee and washing products are fine. A lot of other products I'm afraid taste cheap. Excess of sugar and salt, common in the cheaper end from any source. The limited range means that local products are not easily accomodated. No longley yoghurts or lacal beers. meat is all pre-packed and pretty tasteless. spare ribs I agree are an exception but have not tried anyone elses to compare.

Ultimately it is a case of you get what you pay for and cheap is not always the best value.

I will visit the new store but will not be doing my weekly shop there. Really looking forward to keelham opening at Skipton. A real choice of local products.

Replies in this thread : 17

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > aldi