Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to For Sale / Wanted | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > For Sale / Wanted > Removing stains

Replies in this thread : 4

Author

Topic : Removing stains

gez
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2015 : 10:06:48      reply with quote

Hi can anyone help?
I've got some marks on my oak furniture and wondered if anyone knows how to remove them?!
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2015 : 10:26:54      reply with quote

If they are black marks made by putting a tin on the surface then use oxalic acid. You can get it from Amazon and it cost about 10 - magic!

midway
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2015 : 10:47:53      reply with quote

Caring for oak furniture depends on several factors and the first one is whether you keep it inside or outside your home. The interior oak furniture should be conditioned either with oil or wax in order to protect it from infestations and stains as well as from cracking. Both oiling and waxing need to be repeated every couple of months during the first years and later less frequently (twice a year). Apply the wax (the best is beeswax) in the direction of the grains and remove it when dried. Also, make sure that you keep your oak furniture clean but avoid harsh chemical cleansers. Oak is a natural material and should be treated as such. Use all natural, oil-based cleansers only or wipe the dust with a soft cloth dampened in linseed oil. Stains and scratches are the biggest nightmare of every oak furniture owner but both can be easily repaired on your own in most cases. To remove stains, apply some butter to the stain, leave it overnight and remove with a clean cloth in the morning. This method is effective for many kinds of stains including those caused by spills and even heat. If you have scratched your oak furniture you can sand it down but if the damage is severe or if you have scratched a valuable piece of furniture you should perhaps leave over the repair to an expert.

gez
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2015 : 10:52:18      reply with quote

Hi thanks for your replies the marks are a cup mark and the other I think is from Yankee oil that makes your house smell nice!

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

16/02/2015 : 11:08:01      reply with quote

gez it all depends on whether your oak furniture has a lacquer finish or a wax finish and also what caused the marks ie cigarette burns white rings caused by placing hot drinks on the surface rust ink marks etc, I used to finish furniture many years ago and still have the things you may need to get it sorted please feel free to give me a call on 01535 653176 or mobile 07813 766570 anytime

Replies in this thread : 4

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > For Sale / Wanted > Removing stains  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to