Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > ALDI STORE SET TO OPEN IN SILSDEN

Replies in this thread : 89
Page : 1 2 3
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : ALDI STORE SET TO OPEN IN SILSDEN

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/02/2015 : 23:11:32      reply with quote

Aldi will open the doors to its new store in Silsden for the first time on Thursday 5th March with a special golden ticket event.

The first one hundred people in the queue at the store on Keighley Road will be handed a golden envelope, each containing a prize, and will be in with a chance of winning 200 worth of Aldi vouchers to spend in store, a 24 LED TV and DVD Combo, Robot Vacuum Cleaner, In-Car DVD Player and a shopping bag full of Aldi goodies.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/about-aldi/new-stores/silsden/

click for more information

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 00:06:49      reply with quote

Free advertising on Silsden.net - whatever next?

..and so what will happen to for our threatened main street shops?

aj101
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 07:45:23      reply with quote

raver the countless who drive past these shops now to do there shopping elsewhere out ot town will still do so,the loyal supporters if they want these to stay open will use as normal,if they decide to shop elsewhere too theyll close,,
you carnt keep shops open by just not building in your town,sad i know but shopping habbits change and the public deside,,,,the old addage,,,use or lose

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 07:50:37      reply with quote

Just a thought, how would it be if they built a Tesco opposite, help drive the prices down and give the customers a choice?

Just saying.......

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 12:49:22      reply with quote

Happy with Aldi, who say they are sponsoring Silsden Juniors football competition

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/about-aldi/new-stores/silsden/

Also donating healthy snacks to the Daisy Chain Centre.

Lets hope Habasit dont take the money and jobs and run

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 12:53:22      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

hell they will be camping out for prizes on thurs am nowlaugh :Dlaugh :Dangryangry ps see you therewink ;)wink ;)pps thought there was no free advertising on here peterwink ;)

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 16:04:29      reply with quote

posted by Raver
Free advertising on Silsden.net - whatever next?

..and so what will happen to for our threatened main street shops?
As Aldi don't sell tobacco or newspapers the Newsagents should be fine, I doubt those who use the butchers will suddenly switch to supermarket meat. So as long as Aldi don't start doing haircuts or takeaways everyone else should be ok too. laugh :D happy :)

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 16:15:20      reply with quote

they sell newspapers now,kly and skipton av themsad :(

aj101
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 18:50:01      reply with quote

but just cos they sell em,,,if people are loyal to there shops,,THEY WONT BEY EM....
but dont blame aldi,if people chose to buy there,,,,
the public are in charge and carnt moan if they chose to leave there locals,when there shops shut

aj101
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 18:57:54      reply with quote

sorry bout spelling,,lol,,,should be buy,,,
but am i missing something about the debate bout local shops shuting,suely its not the big stores in any area that forces closure of small shops,,its the general publics need for ever constant ease,,loyalty means nothing,,,

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 20:25:07      reply with quote

well if people want to stay loyal let them and they can pay 25/50% more for their shoppingsad :(

aj101
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2015 : 20:38:35      reply with quote

exactly dogcatcher,,
nobody can blame them for going,,all under 1 roof,and parking,,and cheaper,,,got to be good,,
but my point lets not blame aldi,or indeed silsden council for passing it,,,its the public who makes there own footprint of the village layout in how they choice.
but some will go to aldi est but then moan when shops shut,carnt do both ways

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2015 : 08:28:35      reply with quote

I think it was Napoleon who said we were a nation of shopkeepers. We are also a trading nation willing to trade and learn from anyone.

We learnt from the Americans about large stores, Selfridges!, budget stores, Woolworths, smart supermarkets, Safeways.

We are now learning from the Germans.

Their model of limited stock at budget prices has so far worked pretty well. They have certainly prodded the incumbents into action. This is, of course, great for us consumers, at least in the short term.

However, Aldi and Lidl are now having to advertise heavily to maintain and grow market share. They also seem to be opening stores here there and everywhere. This last tactic did not work well for Tesco.

I have found Aldi and Lidl to be sources of interesting DIY kit, some of their motorcycling, cycling and hiking kit is fine. Other than their budget coffee I find much of their food to be pretty average, and limited.

Personally I am looking forward to the Keelham farm shop opening at Skipton. Decent locally produced food to supplement the local butchers and bakers. Finally of course the co-operative, where at least the profits,stay in the UK.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2015 : 08:28:39      reply with quote

I think it was Napoleon who said we were a nation of shopkeepers. We are also a trading nation willing to trade and learn from anyone.

We learnt from the Americans about large stores, Selfridges!, budget stores, Woolworths, smart supermarkets, Safeways.

We are now learning from the Germans.

Their model of limited stock at budget prices has so far worked pretty well. They have certainly prodded the incumbents into action. This is, of course, great for us consumers, at least in the short term.

However, Aldi and Lidl are now having to advertise heavily to maintain and grow market share. They also seem to be opening stores here there and everywhere. This last tactic did not work well for Tesco.

I have found Aldi and Lidl to be sources of interesting DIY kit, some of their motorcycling, cycling and hiking kit is fine. Other than their budget coffee I find much of their food to be pretty average, and limited.

Personally I am looking forward to the Keelham farm shop opening at Skipton. Decent locally produced food to supplement the local butchers and bakers. Finally of course the co-operative, where at least the profits,stay in the UK.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2015 : 08:43:03      reply with quote

old miner... you carry on plugging the farmer's co-op, I hope it works well. But leave the rest of us to enjoy the quality and price of Aldi food. We have used them for 4 years now, and they are to be recommended. Glad they are opening soon, and providing local jobs and sponsorship. You may not be impressed by them, but millions of others in the country are....

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2015 : 10:41:03      reply with quote

I think Aldi is over rated, a few of the things are good quality and they do have random diy stuff and clothing but the meat and veg leaves a lot to be desired also they do not sell fresh fish.It is a misconception that its cheaper than anywhere else, it depends how you compare, Aldi do not sell many branded goods for example. Sainsburys are doing a good deal on petrol at the moment 10p a litre off voucher when you spend 30 or more now that is worth having

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2015 : 15:03:43      reply with quote

The thing about Aldi is that the meat is not as good as local butchers and the choice isnt as great as the big supermarkets. I think they have done us all a favour by keeping prices down even at the big shops. Its just the changing way of retail. Didnt see too many people complain when the likes of Walkers,Maurice Lee's or the shop up Bolton Road or indeed the many other grocers were forced out of business by the big shops.

robin
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2015 : 16:17:05      reply with quote

Quite right gazzer aldi's meat is not as good as the local butcher, neither is morrisons, some of aldi's products are good some not so. My Labrador prefers aldi's ginger biscuits to anyone's. That's a good recommendation? The point I'm making is we now have a local choice, I will certainly use it for some things, it's within walking distance and much cheaper than the co-op or corner shops for forget -me -not items. Not sure if we could do a weeks shop but.......... Wait and see.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2015 : 16:36:41      reply with quote

Lots of shiny new shopping carts lined up for the opening on Thursday.

To get the best out of Aldi you must be prepared to try the unfamiliar. Most of the goods are sourced from this country, more than some of the so called uk based supermarkets.

You will not find many of the usual well known brands, but if you are prepared to try then you may be pleasantly surprised. You will be even more surprised when you you get the total for your purchases. happy :)

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

01/03/2015 : 20:19:39      reply with quote

Big supermarkets are increasingly sellin own label products. One thing I will knock Aldi for is how short the best before date on a lot of foods

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 08:40:17      reply with quote

Anybody noticed the gate from Belton rd into Aldi car park, could be useful if you want to walk down or park on Belton rd. i,ll post a picture when i get chance
solid wood flooring

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 11:26:00      reply with quote

I was told that the gate will be kept locked and is an emergency exit in case of floods !!
I hope that info was incorrect.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 11:43:35      reply with quote

Gate open this morning when we walked past. Thought a good do for all those that work on the industrial estate for getting their lunch or shopping, but can see that it may also be a security threat. The site now looks so good, all tidied and planted up.
Did wonder why there isn't a banner stating when open, there was one in Keighley by the Rugby club on HardIngs.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 15:29:18      reply with quote

I think i got it sust,the gate opens from inside by pushing a short lever.so from outside just needs a pull,done it myself easy.anyway peter is going down early doors about 7am to make certain the gate is open,but please note not on a Sunday
--

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 19:51:12      reply with quote

This is definitively the escape route for when the car park floods (as most of us know will happen from time to time, as it as done in the last 30 years to my knowledge!), although it looks like it is still on the flood level!
May I suggest if you think a flood is imminent from the beck then stay clear of Aldi til the beck recedes!

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 21:39:10      reply with quote

Best to take our wellies then.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/03/2015 : 22:38:23      reply with quote

Midway, I hope you are not claiming the picture above, my picture, as one of yours.

www.silsden.net/pictures/floods_jan2008/index.htm

I think you will find the ground where the Aldi car park is has been made up and is now higher ground.

logicale
Website Member

Website Member

03/03/2015 : 06:18:11      reply with quote

Not long now till the moaning minnies start complaining about traffic etc

hat
Website Member

Website Member

03/03/2015 : 07:57:16      reply with quote

you would think looking at the amount of room either side of that gate, if there was access permission then the main traffic entrance could have been built here onto Belton Road

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/03/2015 : 09:17:27      reply with quote

posted by hat
you would think looking at the amount of room either side of that gate, if there was access permission then the main traffic entrance could have been built here onto Belton Road
Ask Bradford Planning about that one.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

03/03/2015 : 15:16:35      reply with quote

posted by midway
Best to take our wellies then.

Peter are you certain this is one of your photo's i am sure all yours have your name printed on themshocked 8Oshocked 8Oshocked 8Olaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/03/2015 : 15:29:47      reply with quote

Yes credit where credit is due, it,s your picture Peter, how you managed to take it is beyond me. Just goes to show how much dedication you put in to a job well done. Keep up the good work. hillbilly you got it wrong stop upsetting my hero peter.

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

04/03/2015 : 17:28:50      reply with quote

posted by robin
Quite right gazzer aldi's meat is not as good as the local butcher, neither is morrisons, some of aldi's products are good some not so. My Labrador prefers aldi's ginger biscuits to anyone's. That's a good recommendation? The point I'm making is we now have a local choice, I will certainly use it for some things, it's within walking distance and much cheaper than the co-op or corner shops for forget -me -not items. Not sure if we could do a weeks shop but.......... Wait and see.

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

04/03/2015 : 17:33:12      reply with quote

You remember the olden days of Maurice Lee's Gazzer.
My mother did her shopping at Maurice Lee's and Tom
use to deliver it to the door. Long before Tesco and Asda's
home deliveries were in existence.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

04/03/2015 : 18:44:52      reply with quote

posted by Alan Grop
You remember the olden days of Maurice Lee's Gazzer.
My mother did her shopping at Maurice Lee's and Tom
use to deliver it to the door. Long before Tesco and Asda's
home deliveries were in existence.
Yes Alan Grop the good old days at Maurice Lee's on skipton road it brings back some good memories but also some sad ones too i used to work at silent night with Tom Tillitson after Maurice Lee retired and sold the shop sadley Tom was killed at silent night on a folk lift truck.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

04/03/2015 : 18:50:07      reply with quote

looks like a warmish night my tent is up outside aldi,the free tv for mehappy :)wink ;)wink ;)wink ;)

Replies in this thread : 89
Page : 1 2 3
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > ALDI STORE SET TO OPEN IN SILSDEN  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to