Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Petrol station closed?

Replies in this thread : 26

Author

Topic : Petrol station closed?

hat
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 13:43:27      reply with quote

Drove past mid morning, all the shutters were down and the price signs were blank. Anyone know whats going on?
click for more information

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 15:50:08      reply with quote

It was closed all weekend too, although it was open on Monday morning.

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 17:51:17      reply with quote

So all the knockers of the supermarket site at Belmont/Riverside take note. Unless we support the idea Silsden will have no petrol station. Its only viable commercially if it is part of a bigger retail site.
Just look at the uplift Aldi has given the town - it would be even better with a mainstream supermarket (with filling station offering cheap fuel) alongside. With two competitors eyeballing each other across Keighley Road the only winner will be the customers.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 18:21:54      reply with quote

posted by Raver
So all the knockers of the supermarket site at Belmont/Riverside take note. Unless we support the idea Silsden will have no petrol station. Its only viable commercially if it is part of a bigger retail site.
Just look at the uplift Aldi has given the town - it would be even better with a mainstream supermarket (with filling station offering cheap fuel) alongside. With two competitors eyeballing each other across Keighley Road the only winner will be the customers.
Nationaly Tesco cant compete on price with Aldi why would Silsden be different?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 19:14:34      reply with quote

Keep to the subject please.

You can start a separate topic on the merits of supermarket competition if you must, but preferably after you know the outcome of the Silvermantel planning application which will be decided tomorrow.

Thanks, Peter

blob
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 22:19:27      reply with quote

Sorry but if the petrol station became a Tesco one it would charge about the same as the current Jet franchise as the nearest garages to price match with are Crosshills or the Texaco's in Keighley.

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2015 : 23:24:36      reply with quote

...but at least Silsden would still have a petrol station..!

greengrass
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 12:01:13      reply with quote

I have been told that there card machine is not working
They have another petrol station in Ilkley on the way out just buy that big one is that one closed if so Tits up

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 12:29:19      reply with quote

If its cash only then that makes one think that something is dodgy!

The Stig
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 12:49:09      reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a bit of competition ☔️🍟

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 13:31:32      reply with quote

They have always been far too expensive compared to anywhere else for many years now (since the new owners got it). I suspect that not a lot of folk used it and they topped up income with sales from the shop. Now Aldi is next door game over. They also tried the car wash but I might be right in saying they had to close that due to environmental issues.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 13:31:37      reply with quote

They have always been far too expensive compared to anywhere else for many years now (since the new owners got it). I suspect that not a lot of folk used it and they topped up income with sales from the shop. Now Aldi is next door game over. They also tried the car wash but I might be right in saying they had to close that due to environmental issues.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 14:23:37      reply with quote

i find it hard to believe they would shut completely just because the card machine isn't working. Only recently when the Tesco bid came up the guy who owns it was saying they had just signed a 5 year lease

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 14:51:27      reply with quote

Hang about, they are not that much more expensive than the supermarkets and they have been trying very hard to make it work. Before you all write them off please stop all this speculation until you have some facts.

If they do have a problem with credit card facilities (it it could be because of telephone problems or changing banks - we don't know), but it would be very hard to run the business without these facilities. When was the last time you paid cash for petrol, there isn't that many of us that carry large amounts of cash in our pockets!

I believe there is a note on the petrol pumps, has anybody bothered to see what is written on it?

hat
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 15:16:13      reply with quote

no i haven't 'bothered' to read what is on the pumps - have you? i commented on what i saw as i drove past, same as everyone else will do. if the shutters are down do you think anybody will bother to drive onto the forecourt?

it's not that hard to have a sign saying 'cash only' and continue trading, at least for shop items if not petrol.

not writing anybody off, just observing what i see

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 15:51:43      reply with quote

It looked to be open a few minutes ago - and quite busy too happy :)

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 16:29:07      reply with quote

Not much more - I think at 10p a litre more its a lot more expensive.

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 17:11:59      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
Not much more - I think at 10p a litre more its a lot more expensive.
According to the latest petrolprices.com email - the cheapest within 5 miles (unleaded) is at 107.9 - which by my calculation is er 5p a litre cheaper than Silsden.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 17:34:33      reply with quote

Stop complaining about the price of petrol in Silsden, if you don't like the price keep driving. Your car has got wheels hasn't it?

They have to make a living, they can't sell it as a loss leader, they can't buy at huge discounts by volume buying.

Give the guy a break, support him or keep driving, but don't keep moaning on here.

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 20:18:04      reply with quote

What's the point in driving somewhere to save money, sometimes more expensive is cheaper lol

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 20:23:30      reply with quote

yes Peter well said we use it and have done so for many years at the end of the day to travel all the extra miles for cheaper fule price costs more in the long run by traveling all the extra miles to get itlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D
solid wood flooring

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 22:01:20      reply with quote

I have nothing against the owners making money but I'd be surprised if many people would buy fuel in Silsden if they are driving into Keighley, or thru it, to work as many people do. If it was miles and miles out in the dales and the only station in town (like Ingleton for instance) then I would be happy to pay a convenience premium but as it is it's just not that much more convenient.

As I understand it no-one makes much on fuel and the most mark up is on stuff in the shop so Aldi could well have quite an impact on profits.

Hope it is just their card machine, I wouldn't wish them to lose their business.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 23:36:16      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

well settle and ingleton i go to often and pass their petrol stations they are the same price as silsden or certainly within 1p per litre

NUTTY WALTER
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2015 : 23:44:44      reply with quote

i have just found a filling station on the internet in Glasgow at 3p per litre cheaper so been the bright button that i am i am going to set off tonight and fuill up just think how much i am going to savehappy :)happy :)happy :)

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2015 : 11:44:26      reply with quote

And thats what I do Peter - keep driving....

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2015 : 13:05:19      reply with quote

posted by NUTTY WALTER
i have just found a filling station on the internet in Glasgow at 3p per litre cheaper so been the bright button that i am i am going to set off tonight and fuill up just think how much i am going to savehappy :)happy :)happy :)
why dont we go together with cans and a 500L drum,laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dwink ;)wink ;)wink ;)wink ;)wink ;)

pumbajunior
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 03:42:35      reply with quote

threads about the price of petrol in silsden make me laugh
am i the only silsden resident that drives out of silsden and passes other petrol stations?

its not difficult if you get down to say 1/4 tank to fill up at one of the supermarkets

Replies in this thread : 26

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Petrol station closed?  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to