Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > DUCK POND, FLOOD GATE ?

Replies in this thread : 28

Author

Topic : DUCK POND, FLOOD GATE ?

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 15:44:47      reply with quote

This topic really is not General Election stuff.

I do not know the full story behind the flood gate other than there is a possible flooding scenario.

I cannot work out how the part completed contraption is meant to work though. In York houses near the river often have a pair of slots for a barrier board.

Looking at the set up on the beck it is obvious that at some time the wall outside the cottages has been built across the ford access. The contraption is obviously positioned to work across the original ford access. I assume that the building of a gate rather than a wall means that the Ford is still part of the local road system. There is a dropped kerb on the other side regularly park against, I must assume in contravention of parking regulations.

I assume greater minds than mine are able to explain the current situation.
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 16:53:34      reply with quote

according to the planning enforcement department at Bradford the thing was built without planning permission which despite some members of this forum saying it was not needed they are wrong it did need planning permission.If a flood defence was needed then something of a much cheaper and simpler design could have been put there, it is over engineered, planning department words not mine although I agree.It seems the whole thing is a total mess and will take a lot of time to solve

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 19:01:16      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
according to the planning enforcement department at Bradford the thing was built without planning permission which despite some members of this forum saying it was not needed they are wrong it did need planning permission
Is that 100% true or something that is being investigated?????. Cant see Bradford Council paying for some of the cost for something that needs planning, what sort of people do you think work at Bradford Council. People who get paid for knowing what to do.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 19:03:47      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
This topic really is not General Election stuff.

But it is election stuff

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 19:08:46      reply with quote

I don't think Bradford council did pay for any of the work.I understand it was a community grant from Keighley, not sure Bradford would even have known about it at the time.Someone has cocked up big time methinks!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 20:04:20      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by ginjo
I don't think Bradford council did pay for any of the work.I understand it was a community grant from Keighley, not sure Bradford would even have known about it at the time.Someone has cocked up big time methinks!
Through the Keighley Area Committee I understand from press reports.Which is Bradford Council money

Can anybody confirm The Keighley Area Committee provide cash for this. I know £2500 was applied for

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 20:20:24      reply with quote

Found it

" Silsden Youth Council and Silsden Environmental Group have been awarded £2,500 from Bradford Council.

They successfully applied to Keighley Area Committee for a share of cash earmarked for environmental improvements in Silsden. "

www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/10305505.print/

So Bradford Councils Keighley Area Committee awarded the cash. Guess which local Conservative Councillor is on that Committee....well well well who'd have thought it. Even if he wasnt at the meeting he would have known about it!!

Keighley Area Committee
(Craven; Ilkley; Keighley Central; Keighley East; Keighley West; Worth Valley)
Permanent

Alternate

Labour

Hussain, Khadim (Chair)
Slater, Malcolm (D Chair)
Farley, Adrian Stuart
Pullen, Steve

Akthar, Kaneez
Hussain, Abid
Lee, Doreen
Smithies, Jan

Conservative

Brown, Russell
Mallinson, Andrew
Smith, Brian Martin

Gibbons, Mike
Miller, Glen
Poulsen, Rebecca

UK Independence Party

Morris, Brian

The Independents

Hawkesworth, Anne Gillian

Atkinson, Christopher
Naylor, Adrian Paul

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 20:36:11      reply with quote

HERE WE GO AGAIN same old topic over and over again you lot need to get out more oftenshocked 8Osad :(sad :(sad :(laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 20:39:43      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by hillbilly
HERE WE GO AGAIN same old topic over and over again you lot need to get out more oftenshocked 8Osad :(sad :(sad :(laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D
Clocks alter next week so probably get out more. But I wont be sat counting air gun pellets!!!!!

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 20:50:20      reply with quote

FLOOD GATE FLOOD GATE FLOOD GATE FLOOD GATE IT'S THE FLOOD GATE AFFAIR YET AGAINlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 20:55:29      reply with quote

A Casual Vacancy, Clochmel....soap opera.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 21:44:43      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by hillbilly
Clocks alter next week so probably get out more. But I wont be sat counting air gun pellets!!!!!
No need to count air gun pellets these days Gazzer we got weighing scaleshappy :)laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/03/2015 : 21:53:35      reply with quote

posted by hillbilly
posted by gazzer
posted by hillbilly
No need to count air gun pellets these days Gazzer we got weighing scaleshappy :)laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D
Hope they are calibrated

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 08:02:09      reply with quote

posted by hillbilly
That is exactly the problem hillbilly, we are getting out more so see the eyesore every day, don't tell me you don't look at it every time you park by the Post Office? ;-(

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 09:47:46      reply with quote

there is a small article about it in the t&a today.It is a big issue in the town and people should not be criticised for talking about it! At the end of the day the money that has been wasted on it comes from us tax payers so we are entitled to have an opinion.The fact that no one involved in this hairbrained scheme has had the mind to come out and admit that they might have made a mistake is unbelievable

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 11:13:56      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

The most unbelievable thing is Keighley Area Committee gave Silsden Youth Council &Silsden Environment Group Bradford Council cash without proper scrutiny.Andrew Mallinson is a permanent member of Keighley Area Committee and at the time the cash was given I think he was a Yorkshire Flood Defence committee man.Paid councillors should have known better and not be running to the press as if he didnt know it was happening

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 11:30:40      reply with quote

I am right in saying that chris Atkinson and Adrian Naylor are also on that committee so presume they knew as well. I don't know how the system works but I would imagine that a meeting is held and projects put forward and then a vote is taken as to whether or not to grant the money, there may be some minutes somewhere but I cannot be bothered searching for them.Is/was Adrian Naylor a member of silsden environmental action group, he is on a photo on their website, is it possible he had some sway in getting the grant,Maybe it would be helpful if he let everyone know the facts and then it might stop speculation.Whatever went on, the councillors are experienced enough surely to know that planning permission would be needed especially in a conservation area.By the way I am not being political in my comments just saying what I think

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 12:04:33      reply with quote

The project was initially led by Silsden Environmental Action Group and town councillors, with volunteers carrying out construction work. Building materials were funded by Bradford Council, Keighley Area Committee and Silsden Town Council.

Protests against the barrier construction were led by Val Carroll (Labour candidate), of North Street, Silsden, who last summer described the girders as an “abominable structure”.

An Environment Agency spokesman this week said its consenting powers were strictly limited to consideration of flood risk and the water environment, and other bodies were responsible for issues such as design, land ownership and planning permission.

Adrian Naylor (Independent Ward Councillor), who is both a district and town councillor, said the flood barrier was not the responsibility of the town council, and he understood Silsden Environmental Action Group was no longer active.

He said (Adrian Naylor): “At the time funding was provided by Bradford Council through the area committee, I investigated what was required before I agreed the money. I was assured that planning permission was not required.

“Silsden Environmental Action Group acted totally in good faith. Bradford Council funded the scheme and Bradford Council departments have been involved in discussions.”

Cllr Andrew Mallinson (Conservative Ward Councillor), who represents Craven ward on Bradford Council, said the barrier should not been built in the first place. “We have a structure that is incomplete and shows no sign of ever being completed. It’s not in keeping with the beck area or the beautiful cottages nearby,” he said.

Silsden Town Council was this month asked to fund the completion of the barrier, but has postponed a decision until the current wrangle is sorted out.

Perhaps you should read the full article from the Keighley News here:www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/11864847.Silsden_flood_barrier_in_hot_water/

BTW Andrew Mallinson used some of his community allowance to fund this project as did Adrian Naylor, so Councillor Mallinson cannot say he didn't approve this project.

Don't forget there is a LOCAL ELECTION on the 7 May (as well as the general election) so expect more mud slinging from our local politicians sad :(

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 12:14:26      reply with quote

someone is not telling the whole truth here(probably more than 1!) anyone in there right mind would surely realise that planning permission would be needed for such an engineered construction in a conservation area, who at Bradford assured Cllr Naylor that permission was not required? has he/she got a name? for a start the beck/wall does not belong to silsden environmental group so it would be like me building something on land that did not belong to me, no doubt a load of money is now going to be spent on lawyers

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 12:49:16      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
I am right in saying that chris Atkinson and Adrian Naylor are also on that committee so presume they knew as well. I don't know how the system works but I would imagine that a meeting is held and projects put forward and then a vote is taken as to whether or not to grant the money, there may be some minutes somewhere but I cannot be bothered searching for them.Is/was Adrian Naylor a member of silsden environmental action group, he is on a photo on their website, is it possible he had some sway in getting the grant,Maybe it would be helpful if he let everyone know the facts and then it might stop speculation.Whatever went on, the councillors are experienced enough surely to know that planning permission would be needed especially in a conservation area.By the way I am not being political in my comments just saying what I think
Chris Atkinson wasnt on bfd council then so wasnt on the area committee and the only permenant craven ward councillor wss mallinson.He was a Flood Defence Committee man and has fought for flood defences in the Keighley area so he would be most qualified to asses the project

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 12:57:26      reply with quote

I was not even on Bradford council at the time kly area committee granted the money for the beck project. if I had been I would be able to tell you who the planner was that has stated in their opinion the barrier does not need planning permission,area committee are led on decisions by OFFICERS not politicions therefore you make up your own mind who is telling the truth.
solid wood flooring

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 13:53:46      reply with quote

Keighley Constituency Labour Party is not perfect, Peter. But we don't "mud sling" Our parliamentary candidate John Grogan opposes it whatever the temptation. And the rest of us do too.

OK, Val Carol your local Labour election candidate slings a bit of mud from time to time. But only when she's fiercely clearing Silsden's beck of the dreaded knot weed or whatever. Politics isn't the only dirty business. Conservation gets you filthy as well

What might be happening re renewed press interest in this issue (not instigated by us)is that the KN now monitors Silsden.net for pre election conflict stories. A compliment to this very lively forum.

But taking every opportunity to personally attack Cllr Mallinson online is maybe not a good strategy. The back story rehashed wouldn't look too great in the papers. I won't be voting for him so perhaps can advise that some deep breaths are taken before any more "here's mud in your eye Cllr" stuff is posted - especially from our revered site supremo!

Finally I do wish we had a like button. I seem to be with ginjo on some of this!

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 14:32:48      reply with quote

skippy I apologise, you were not on the committee at the time in question, my mistake(we all make them)I know that in normal planning matters, officers put their reccomendations to councillors but councillors do not always follow officers advice.No idea what happened in this case I have trawled through minutes and agendas and cannot find any mention of this grant, maybe I am looking in the wrong place.I did find a newspaper article though dated 14th march 2013 in which Cllr Naylor features and it also says that he gave £1500 towards the gates from his personal budget for ward projects so in some ways maybe he has something to answer for.If anyone knows where to find the minutes relating to this award I would like to read them, I have looked at most of the minutes from Keighley area committee for 2013/2014 and cannot see any mention of it.
Paperclip thank you for "liking" what I am saying

blob
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 15:01:10      reply with quote

I still think Mallinson has committed libel bit I'm not an expert. Skippy what he said about you was appalling. It's a shame he won't get his comeuppance this year!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 15:30:05      reply with quote

posted by paperclip
Keighley Constituency Labour Party is not perfect, Peter. But we don't "mud sling"

But taking every opportunity to personally attack Cllr Mallinson online is maybe not a good strategy. The back story rehashed wouldn't look too great in the papers. I won't be voting for him so perhaps can advise that some deep breaths are taken before any more "here's mud in your eye Cllr" stuff is posted - especially from our revered site supremo!
Interesting how people read posts to suit their own views.

I have only posted once before on this thread because I think it has all been said before and I'm tired of repeating the same information. The Keighley News article was well written and sums up the situation quite well. If I had just put a link to the article very few would have bothered to follow it, I therefore extracted bits and the only changes I made were to clarify quotes (not everyone knows who these people are so I gave them their positions on the council).

The only bit I added was Councillors Mallinson made donation to the flood barrier from his personal budget for ward projects so cannot claim to be unaware of the project, something which he has implied.

I included a link to the full KN article so please read the full article and not what you think I said.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 16:07:33      reply with quote

posted by paperclip
Keighley Constituency Labour Party is not perfect, Peter. But we don't "mud sling" Our parliamentary candidate John Grogan opposes it whatever the temptation. And the rest of us do too.

OK, Val Carol your local Labour election candidate slings a bit of mud from time to time. But only when she's fiercely clearing Silsden's beck of the dreaded knot weed or whatever. Politics isn't the only dirty business. Conservation gets you filthy as well

What might be happening re renewed press interest in this issue (not instigated by us)is that the KN now monitors Silsden.net for pre election conflict stories. A compliment to this very lively forum.

Finally I do wish we had a like button. I seem to be with ginjo on some of this!
To be fair Mr Mallinson has kicked it all off again and like it or not Val Carroll gets a mention in the paper. A "member of the public" tipped of the Keighley News about the planning aspect. Near election time its done with a purpose from whoever.

If Mr Mallinson engages as he does on social media then its only expected people will engage back...thats how social media works. He cant call the Mayor Coco and next expect a response.
Councillors are subject to the seven Nolan Principles which apply to people in public life one of which is

Leadership: as a councillor, you should promote, support and exhibit
high standards of conduct and be willing to challenge poor behaviour.

Is posting this on Facebook exhibiting high standards of conduct?

"Your "independent" councillor pushed it through because like Atkinson they are on the useless town council that started this project in the first place!"

"The town clowns have been doing this project without consulting anyone!"

Or this on Twitter

"The Mayor is a clown parading as a Councillor."

Its not a high standard, its against the principles and it needs to be discussed

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 17:08:17      reply with quote

So if its not supposed to be there , nobody will own up to putting there . Time for Silsden to take control , remove it weigh it in for scrap and donate to Air Am . Job done .

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 17:27:47      reply with quote

posted by Cobydaler
So if its not supposed to be there , nobody will own up to putting there . Time for Silsden to take control , remove it weigh it in for scrap and donate to Air Am . Job done .
HERE HERE well said cobydaler now we talking best thing for ithappy :)happy :)happy :)laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2015 : 17:39:25      reply with quote

posted by Listener
posted by hillbilly
That is exactly the problem hillbilly, we are getting out more so see the eyesore every day, don't tell me you don't look at it every time you park by the Post Office? ;-(
Listener do you think it would look a bit better with a nice chrome finish on itshocked 8Oshocked 8Oshocked 8Olaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

Replies in this thread : 28

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > DUCK POND, FLOOD GATE ?  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to