Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Alder Carr and Spring Crag Woods

Replies in this thread : 16

Author

Topic : Alder Carr and Spring Crag Woods

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 14:47:12      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm aware that the thread closed, and for good reason. But I was astonished that nobody had DONE anything, it seems, to draw the attention of any authority to this ugly and potentially dangerous scrapyard and flytip. Flytipping on a minor scale should be reported to Bradford. Anything like flytipping on the scale in the photos should be reported to the Environment Agency, with photos if possible. You might let the fuzz know too though they probably won't interrupt the coffee-making to do owt. Bradford Rights of Way should be told - though they'd have to stop playing with the Definitive Map and actually MOVE. But they might make the EA more aware.

The fact that this is, I gather, on private land but is within virtually touching distance of a public footpath means that law / health regulations ARE being broken. I've now reported it to the EA and if you want to chase it further the number to call is : 03708 506506, Ref no: 1325528.

The guy to whom I reported this was delighted to see the photos taken by midway (I believe?).
click for more information

steetonblue
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 15:05:28      reply with quote

The police are unlikely to help - not because they are sat around doing nothing but because they deal with criminal law and not civil - your suggestion of council and environmental reporting is the way forward, let the police get on and deal with their job (no doubt the moaners will be on about them stopping speeding cars etc but i couldnt care less - that is a police job)

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:10:20      reply with quote

posted by steetonblue
The police ... deal with criminal law and not civil
If you're a copper you really need to go on a course or two.

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence as distinct from littering which is most commonly assumed to include materials, often associated with smoking, eating and drinking, that are improperly discarded and left by members of the public; or are spilt during business operations as well as waste management operations. As a guideline a single sack of rubbish should usually be considered fly-tipping rather than litter

blob
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:24:52      reply with quote

Allan, steetonblue didn't say he was part of the Police. He just pointed out the correct method of reporting fly tipping (Environment Agency and Council).

www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/transport_and_infrastructure/street_care_and_cleaning/fly_tipping

steetonblue
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:28:08      reply with quote

Thank you. Yes regardless of whether it is criminal or civil, fly tipping is not police business. They would only become involved if there were issues regarding enforcement - ie to protect Environment Agency staff who may be trying to enforce the law.

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:30:58      reply with quote

Did I say or did I ask the question?

Given the background I've picked up from the original thread this IS a matter of enforcement. And thus a matter, even obliquely (as they lerve it to be) for the fuzz.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:36:27      reply with quote

If the Council or EA need Police help they'll ask them for it. I'm sure they are quite capable of building a case. The Police will just say "that's nice, we have a case of domestic violence to deal with, go see the Council".

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:57:56      reply with quote

Yes, well given that the original thread implied asbestos was scattered about, there IS a case for the plod to get involved in what would be a VERY criminal matter.

I under no circumstances wish to interrupt them in their coffee and Kitkats, of course.Nor, I'm sure, would the council (God forbid they do unto others....) or the EA.

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 22:00:55      reply with quote

posted by steetonblue
Thank you. Yes regardless of whether it is criminal or civil, fly tipping is not police business. They would only become involved if there were issues regarding enforcement - ie to protect Environment Agency staff who may be trying to enforce the law.
Good Lord....

blob
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 22:14:15      reply with quote

posted by Allan
Yes, well given that the original thread implied asbestos was scattered about, there IS a case for the plod to get involved in what would be a VERY criminal matter.

I under no circumstances wish to interrupt them in their coffee and Kitkats, of course.Nor, I'm sure, would the council (God forbid they do unto others....) or the EA.
You never mentioned asbestos. It is still a matter primarily of the Council/EA though. The Police would only get involved when a case is made and the case staff need help prosecuting or protection.

You are very rude about the Police who already complain about to much paper work and not enough chance to 'walk the beat'. Ate you this rude when you speak to them?

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

23/04/2015 : 11:48:58      reply with quote

any one know the outcome of the woods issue?

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

23/04/2015 : 12:02:59      reply with quote

it has been stated in the press, that there are 16,000 less Police officers employed since this Tory government can in, So what chance is there of them having time to look at fly tipping, a similar problem with the councils, Tory cuts have made them unable to operate effectively.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

23/04/2015 : 13:58:40      reply with quote

Got to give it to you grandad, your a trier.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

23/04/2015 : 19:10:03      reply with quote

posted by grandad
it has been stated in the press, that there are 16,000 less Police officers employed since this Tory government can in, So what chance is there of them having time to look at fly tipping, a similar problem with the councils, Tory cuts have made them unable to operate effectively.
If you're playing the political game on fly tipping (which isn't a Police issue but a council one) I can spin that round and ask why isn't the local Labour council protecting the environment?

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

28/04/2015 : 17:11:56      reply with quote

posted by blob
posted by Allan

You never mentioned asbestos. It is still a matter primarily of the Council/EA though. The Police would only get involved when a case is made and the case staff need help prosecuting or protection.

You are very rude about the Police who already complain about to much paper work and not enough chance to 'walk the beat'. Ate you this rude when you speak to them?
Re: asbestos. Did I post the original thread? Which is now closed. Did I?

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

11/05/2015 : 00:16:31      reply with quote

According to the Environment Agency they have visited the footpath (and only that path) and have seen the rubbish dumped around it. They have "liaised with the landowner, and given him advice and guidance" . He claims it is due to either vandalism and / or to recent (ongoing?) pipework in the woods.

I will seek out the dumps away from the path and let the EA know if there's any asbestos there with an OS 8 figure reference. But in the meantime they claim it's not possible to force a landowner to keep his own land clean. Safe, yes, clean and tidy, no.

If anyone wants to contact the responding officer it's Gail Gray (gail.grey@environment-agency.gov.uk. Given their negligent attitude to an appalling vast dump of household rubbish on a farmland in Pendle adjacent to a public path and an obvious health hazard, I doubt anything is going to be done by them here. Of course, the citizens of Silsden could so organise themselves....

Candy
Website Member

Website Member

20/05/2015 : 21:20:25      reply with quote

l]

Replies in this thread : 16

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Alder Carr and Spring Crag Woods  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to