Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden Strolls

Replies in this thread : 13

Author

Topic : Silsden Strolls

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

02/04/2015 : 21:27:06      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Given the quite extraordinary amount of interest generated in them in the town, Cross Hills and Addingham; the public picking up and taking away of nearly 600 SS 1 and 2 sheets; and getting on for that with SS 3 and 4; the number of emails I've had saying really praising things about SS; the number asking me for them to be sent by email, please...it comes as a great surprise to me to be told that the council has refused the virtually trivial sum of 200 to enable me to produce waymarkers for SS 5 - 8 and double up what YOU Silsdeners seem to regard as a rather good thing for you and the town.

So that's it, folks. Enjoy what you've got. The decision also knocks totally on the head all possibility of the town being accepted by the Walkers are Welcome scheme, which ALWAYS brings a large increased commercial footprint to the towns on which it is bestowed.So this decision means no extra profit that way for the retailers and B&Bs of Silsden.

You may perhaps feel p'd off about this. So, let the council know.

However my efforts to bring about a ramblers group based on Silsden and Addingham will go ahead on April 11 as planned. This is nothing to do with the council. Probably, by the feel of it, just as well.
click for more information

malcB
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2015 : 10:02:52      reply with quote

Hang on, is this 200 all that's needed? Because if so, I'm sure enough people could be found to contribute to it, after all if only 10 people were willing to pay then it's only 20 each.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2015 : 10:36:50      reply with quote

This is what was actually requested

Item 9.3 of the STC April Agenda 2015

To consider a request for further funding of up to 250 for additional Silsden
Strolls. It is also requested that cllrs take on this website once up and running. A
report by A Friswell has been electronically circulated to all councillors.

... and he didn't turn up to the meeting to answer questions about the request!

This was the second request for money from STC, the first being for 500 (which was granted).

midway
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2015 : 11:03:54      reply with quote

So what was the 500 spent on then?

steetonblue
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2015 : 16:32:18      reply with quote

Haha nice one Peter
So STC did a good thing by granting a good sum of money for a good cause that I guess they hoped would become (and easily could become) self funding and then get criticised for not providing more money and even more of their unpaid time to run. Definition of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

11/04/2015 : 15:04:00      reply with quote

Just seen that this has reached the Keighley News. This is ridiculous and smacks of a vanity project which is in no way value for money!

All that needed to be done was create a series of easy to read downloadable PDFs which should be copyright free and use open source mapping so licencing wasn't an issue. This could have been hosted on silsden.net or some other space very cheaply.

Walks should start and finish in Silsden and be accessible from public transport hubs. Not up at Cringles. This would have brought business into the local shops and cafes.

The grant should have been spent on cheap way markers (coloured washers), some advertising in shops/Town Hall. This could have been done for 100-200 in total, not 700. He was lucky to get 500 in the first place!

Below is the criteria for Walkers Are Welcome which is not as strict as Mr Friswell makes out...

The following criteria is applicable:
Demonstrate popular local support for the concept for example, by collecting signatures from local residents. Recommended minimum support of 50 signatures (small village), 250 signatures (small town), and 500 signatures (larger community). We expect to see approximately 5% of the population.
Click on this link to download an example of a local support form. You are welcome to adapt it for your own use.
Gain formal endorsement from the local council of your application for WALKERS ARE WELCOME status. This can be demonstrated by the local council (unitary, district and/or town council) passing a resolution in support, being represented on the steering group, and making a financial contribution if possible.
Indicate a commitment to ensure that the local footpath network will be maintained in good condition. This can be demonstrated by the local council and/or voluntary group making a commitment to ensure that paths in the town/village are walked at least once a year, that any obstacles are removed promptly, and that efforts are taken to extend the opportunities for walking.
Ensure adequate marketing of WALKERS ARE WELCOME status. This can be demonstrated in a number of ways: press coverage; signs/map in the centre of town advising casual visitors of walks they can undertake; at least two waymarked walks starting from town centre; leaflets readily available; local shops encouraged to display WALKERS ARE WELCOME HERE stickers.
Show how use of public transport will be encouraged. This can be demonstrated, for example, by including clear public transport advice on marketing leaflets.
Demonstrate how you will ensure that WALKERS ARE WELCOME status is maintained in future. This can be demonstrated through having a well-balanced and committed WALKERS ARE WELCOME steering group from within the community. When establishing a steering group it is best practice to have a constitution and many grants require this. An example can be found here.

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

12/04/2015 : 15:12:43      reply with quote

posted by blob
Just seen that this has reached the Keighley News. This is ridiculous and smacks of a vanity project which is in no way value for money!
Just a suggestion, Allan. If you think this is a worthwhile endeavour (and it definitely is!), and you think others would be interested in helping to fund it, how about setting up some sort of crowdfunding appeal (Kickstarter is the big one, but I've used www.wefund.com, and it was easy and very effective)? You could offer rewards for different levels of funding (from a thanks on the website, through physical copies of all the stroll leaflets, to a personalised guided walk or the opportunity to have you produce a walk to order, for example), and it should be pretty easy to raise 200 - and if you can't raise the money that way, maybe it's because people aren't interested, which might suggest the town council were right in not funding it? happy :)

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

28/04/2015 : 16:15:51      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I have to say that any comments from someone suggesting "coloured washers" as waymarkers must by definition be devoid of merit, and show any astonishing lack of understanding of what is needed on the ground for clear navigation. And it'll be good to see that poster working hard to get WaW status for Silsden, unless it's a matter of all talk and no trousers. Which it is.

I'm working hard to get the funding necessary to complete phase 2 of the project. Thanks for the suggestions to those giving considered views re money raising. W Riding Ramblers have already donated 100 without my asking, thanks to the KN and CH reports. This will fund (with them acknowledged on the waymarkers as sponsors) Strolls 5 and 6. I hope these will be in place and online by end of June.

Re the council meeting: I was not invited to speak at the meeting. I was not INVITED to the meeting. A non-Silsdener, I have no right to be there otherwise. I had no news of the meeting until a few days before. Nobody informed me of any discussion which was to take place. I was not sent an agenda. I'm not a mind-reader.

The 500 went on the four printed Strolls for people to take up and home; and the waymarks for on the ground navigation.Plus sundries like adhesive, 1/2 posts, nails etc. Almost all of the 600 copies of each Stroll were picked up by the public, an impressive hit rate.

For those implying it: no, not a penny of it went to me. Not even for petrol. I did it for the citizens of Silsden, I'm continuing to do it for them. Sorry if one or two can't quite grasp that.

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

28/04/2015 : 16:25:13      reply with quote

posted by blob

All that needed to be done was create a series of easy to read downloadable PDFs which should be copyright free and use open source mapping so licencing wasn't an issue. This could have been hosted on silsden.net or some other space very cheaply.

Walks should start and finish in Silsden and be accessible from public transport hubs. Not up at Cringles. This would have brought business into the local shops and cafes.

The Strolls ARE copyright free.

Licensing is NOT an issue. It never has been.

15 a year hosting IS cheap.

Other than Strolls 1 and 2, please suggest to a breathless world walks of 3-4 miles which are accessible from public transport hubs. I'll be absolutely delighted to use them. You won't find any, of course. But do continue to criticise for the sake of it.

Walks start and finish within Silsden PARISH. As was always intended and made clear from the start.

Anything else to add? Tell us how you found the Strolls that you'll have done thus far, do.

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

28/04/2015 : 18:25:37      reply with quote

This is what the Open Goverment Licence has to say on the subject (OS is part of the Government Licencing)

You are free to:
copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information;
adapt the Information;
exploit the Information commercially and non-commercially for example, by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own product or application.

You must (where you do any of the above):
acknowledge the source of the Information in your product or application by including or linking to any attribution statement specified by the Information Provider(s) and, where possible, provide a link to this licence;

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/

I shouldn't worry about it Allan, the maps on your leaflets are useless anyway.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

03/05/2015 : 22:31:11      reply with quote

I have to say that any comments from someone suggesting "coloured washers" as waymarkers must by definition be devoid of merit, and show any astonishing lack of understanding of what is needed on the ground for clear navigation.
You're incredibly rude by assuming my lack of understanding. I know how to use a map and a compass. I know how to make maps and use GPS navigation (by the way GPS doesn't work underneath trees). Coloured washers work in other places such as woodland estates where paths are not always clear. An Ordnance Survey map should always be used for navigation in conjunction with the stroll leaflet. Looking at the leaflets produced the maps are not of a suitable scale or detail to navigate or work out where in Silsden it is!

And it'll be good to see that poster working hard to get WaW status for Silsden, unless it's a matter of all talk and no trousers. Which it is.
WAW encourages a steering group to be set up and it to be a community project. Has this been set up? You assume I won't help. Have you asked any local people or businesses for help?

WAW quote "Demonstrate popular local support for the concept for example, by collecting signatures from local residents. Recommended minimum support of 50 signatures (small village), 250 signatures (small town), and 500 signatures (larger community). We expect to see approximately 5% of the population."
How many signitures do you have? Silsden will need ~400 signatures (5% of population according to 2001 census).

Re the council meeting: I was not invited to speak at the meeting. I was not INVITED to the meeting. A non-Silsdener, I have no right to be there otherwise. I had no news of the meeting until a few days before. Nobody informed me of any discussion which was to take place. I was not sent an agenda. I'm not a mind-reader.
Why didn't you attend the meeting as a member of the public or ask for an agenda? If you were aware of it a few days before why didn't you ask for postponement of the decision until you could attend in person?

The 500 went on the four printed Strolls for people to take up and home; and the waymarks for on the ground navigation.Plus sundries like adhesive, 1/2 posts, nails etc. Almost all of the 600 copies of each Stroll were picked up by the public, an impressive hit rate.
So each stroll costs around 50-125 to produce? Why is their a big difference in the first 4 costing 125 each and the 2 funded by West Riding Ramblers costing 50? Therefore the total cost of the 14 proposed strolls could cost between 1000-1750? Where is this funding going to come from? It sounds incredibly expensive and unsustainable!

For those implying it: no, not a penny of it went to me. Not even for petrol. I did it for the citizens of Silsden, I'm continuing to do it for them. Sorry if one or two can't quite grasp that.
I didn't imply that, but surely you should be using public transport if WAW encourages this and not a car? WAW quote "Show how use of public transport will be encouraged. This can be demonstrated, for example, by including clear public transport advice on marketing leaflets". Where is this advice on the leaflets?

The Strolls ARE copyright free.
What is this "Text copyright A Friswell" then?

I don't think the Ordnance Survey will see it that way (see Fred's post above).

15 a year hosting IS cheap.
So cheap you bought a hosting service before silstolls.org.uk then didn't pay it! silsdenstrolls.co.uk/

Other than Strolls 1 and 2, please suggest to a breathless world walks of 3-4 miles which are accessible from public transport hubs. I'll be absolutely delighted to use them. You won't find any, of course. But do continue to criticise for the sake of it.
What's wrong with Jack's Walks? www.silsden.net/walks/jacks_walks.htm Which incidently was published a few years ago as a booklet available from the Library.

Walks start and finish within Silsden PARISH. As was always intended and made clear from the start.
Stroll 3 requires a car to reach (starts near Cringles). This is against WAW guidance (should be accessible by public transport).
Stroll 4 advises parking on the busy, narrow North Street, which I'm sure will please the residents who already have parking issues.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

04/05/2015 : 17:37:43      reply with quote

Just thought I'd show you some new way markers, Allan's i think.

Allan
Website Member

Website Member

22/08/2015 : 22:00:16      reply with quote

Strolls 5-8 are now online at Silstrolls.org.uk. Next up will be Silsden Circle - 7.5 miles around the town. Funding in the sum of 1200 has been found from local sources.

Only one of the above waymarks is mine.

Blob - whoever you are, lad, you need to get back on the meds. Have you REALLY nothing better to do than dissect my post word by word? lol!javascript:smileyInsert(topicform.message,%20'laugh :D');

midway
Website Member

Website Member

24/08/2015 : 09:01:05      reply with quote

If you would like to leave the car at home, and start the walk from Silsden.

JACK'S WALKS AROUND SILSDEN by Jack. D. Pollard. You can see this page at: www.silsden.net/walks/jacks_walks.htm

Replies in this thread : 13

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden Strolls  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to