Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden Toilets

Replies in this thread : 28

Author

Topic : Silsden Toilets

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

17/04/2015 : 18:39:18      reply with quote

Fantastic timing by Bradmet to close down the toilets only weeks away from the Tour de Yorkshire passing through the town. Hope the sponsors have a few or more portaloos organised.
click for more information

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/04/2015 : 21:12:43      reply with quote

I was under the impression that when the linesman was introduced that this would be a major part of the role? Nothing has been announced in the papers?

tetleydrinker
Website Member

Website Member

17/04/2015 : 22:07:41      reply with quote

From the agenda of the "council" meeting on 15th April, it looks like STC are looking to buy the toilets

"7. Public Toilets Following a meeting with Bradford they have offered to sell the
toilets to STC for 1. Further details regarding insurances, legionnaires testing, and
running costs are still coming in a report will be made in time for the meeting. Cllrs
are ask to consider this offer, the toilets will close on the 7th of April until an
agreement is reached or Bradford dispose of them. "

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 07:51:56      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

At the 2nd April meeting, STC decided not to take on the running of the toilets because it would have been a 'money pit' project. The water had to be tested for legionnaires once a week, it had business rates and the roof would have needed repair.

There are toilets in the Town Hall, I suggest we campaign for a public toilets sign for the Town Hall wink ;)

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 09:43:31      reply with quote

I utterly despair!!!

I have said previously, that I will never set foot in the former town hall again. I reiterate that point. Will the town hall be open at 0100 for people coming out of the pubs or 0400 from certain establishments? I seriously doubt it! What about the elderly and infirm who cannot access the disabled toilet in the former town hall, because it is either closed or not enough staff?

I rest my case RIP common bloody sense!

tetleydrinker
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 10:33:15      reply with quote

The Public toilets were never open during the times you mention, they always seemed to be locked in the early evening.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 10:42:28      reply with quote

This strikes me the sort of thing that should be under Silsden's control. An obvious essential service!

Interesting the situation has come to light AFTER the local elections have been settled.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 12:15:53      reply with quote

posted by tetleydrinker
The Public toilets were never open during the times you mention, they always seemed to be locked in the early evening.
Very true, but if the toilets are closed, people
Will have to use the last few public houses in Silsden or the former town hall, if you want to run the risk.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 12:59:25      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
This strikes me the sort of thing that should be under Silsden's control. An obvious essential service!

Interesting the situation has come to light AFTER the local elections have been settled.
There is no obligation by councils to provide public toilet facilities.

Silsden were offered the freehold of the toilets for 1 but for this STC had to take over the running and maintenance. Should STC have spent 4K per year of our precept money to just keep these toilets open? + don't forget the unknown maintenance bill for fixing the roof and any other nasties which might be found?

Hands up those of you that ACTUALLY used the toilets when they were available.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 13:13:55      reply with quote

Urgh! I'd rather buy a coffee/beer and use their toilets.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 14:21:12      reply with quote

4000 a year plus a bit of capital to tidy them up. Looks a bargain to me, a Silsden rate payer and one time user of said public convenience.

Maybe if the town council was actually involved with something practical like this there would be less carping on about what they do and do not do.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 15:10:28      reply with quote

Old minor Why if you are so interested in what the Town Council should and shouldn't do, have you not put your name forward for the election?
Talk is cheap!

bandnwire
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 15:48:53      reply with quote

As regards to using the toilets in the Town Hall, I have been told that doors have been put up with a lock on, and if you need to use the toilet you have to get the key from the librarian. As the disabled toilet is upstairs I don't know what staff have to be there to allow use of the lift. I might just go in next week and find out.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 16:53:49      reply with quote

Actually this is the first time I have been critical of the local council. Those involved with the council have whinged about being hamstrung from Bradford. However, when given an opportunity to make a genuine community need work they back away. Are there others factors at work we are not aware of?

phill
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 17:05:43      reply with quote

seems like the knocking of the town hall is cropping up again, the toilets when the building is open are unlocked, the access doors to the lift are unlocked and please come in when we are dancing and I will be happy to show you.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 18:52:59      reply with quote

An update on my previous posts

Not so, the STC meeting was on 2nd April

The cost of running the toilets if transfered from Bradford to STC for 1.00

About 4600 but that would be without paying for cleaner, additional insurances, water testing or any repairs.

This money would have to be found from the precept (not council tax) and then there would be the additional cost of repairs.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 08:48:58      reply with quote

Instead of trying to divert this issue by criticizing the critics how about some answers. People have put themselves forward as volunteers. Fine, I applaud that. But even a volunteer should justify their decision.

Why did the town council decide not to take on the public toilets? It seems to me to have been a potentially good use of the precept.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 10:23:13      reply with quote

old miner as a labour supporter you are asking for the towns people to pay twice for a service? baffles me sometimes.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 14:21:09      reply with quote

I am puzzled about paying twice. If you mean the Public Convenience I either pay Bradford or Silsden to run it. Obviously in a free market Tory nirvana their would be a choice of public loos in Silsden offering a range of services and I would be able to choose the one right for me.
Trouble is the Torys preach free markets and then spend all their time manipulating them for political ends. That is why housing is in short supply and over priced, yet they continue to fiddle it with political bribes.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 20:58:18      reply with quote

There is one other problem that Peter as not mentioned, although the public have accessed the toilets across the land owned by the punch bowl for many years there is not any legal right of way into the toilets! So even if the Town council had taken then on they may not have been able to use them.
Before anybody says this is rubbish! This is what the Bradford representative at the meeting told the Town council.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 21:37:22      reply with quote

posted by grandad
There is one other problem that Peter as not mentioned, although the public have accessed the toilets across the land owned by the punch bowl for many years there is not any legal right of way into the toilets! So even if the Town council had taken then on they may not have been able to use them.
Before anybody says this is rubbish! This is what the Bradford representative at the meeting told the Town council.
In a question about parking Bradford Council told me in a letter the council own approx 3metres of land around the toilets and the fact that the pub owners have put bollards up makes no difference.
solid wood flooring

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 23:41:01      reply with quote

Does anyone believe a word that comes out of Bradford Met? No.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 08:46:07      reply with quote

Yes. The opposite is ridiculous.
Bins are collected on dates given.
Swimming pool opening times are accurate.
Election ballot papers have the right names on.

Nothing or no one is 100% accurate or perfect all of the time, but most are most of the time.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 09:06:02      reply with quote

posted by old_miner

Maybe right names....if they manage to not leave people off the register who should be still on it.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 09:06:30      reply with quote

Last day today to get on the voting list

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 14:04:55      reply with quote

Gazzer, if you have a letter saying Bradford own the land, and their rep told the Town Council that they don't own it, then it makes me wonder; is somebody telling fibs or are they so incompetent that they don't know themselves?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 20:48:30      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

well if they av closed i suppose the chance of seeing george micheal in silsden is zero nowlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dwink ;)wink ;)

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 21:10:09      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Yes. The opposite is ridiculous.
Bins are collected on dates given.
Swimming pool opening times are accurate.

Nothing or no one is 100% accurate or perfect all of the time, but most are most of the time.
Bins are emptied on the due date? Is that why they are coming round on Saturday morning between 7 & 8? Our street. Is due on Thursday

I don't use the swimming pools locally. I refuse to set foot in the former Town Hall. Council tax is a joke! Don't get me started on planning!

I concede that one or two individuals within Bradford Met are fantastic and yes, I have no issues with the electoral services.

nabend
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2015 : 07:27:29      reply with quote

From a nostalgia standpoint, does anyone remember the urinal near the canal bridge?

Replies in this thread : 28

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden Toilets  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to