Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Not enough school places at Aireview infant school for children living in Silsden

Replies in this thread : 70
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Not enough school places at Aireview infant school for children living in Silsden

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

17/04/2015 : 22:51:20      reply with quote

Heard tonight that there is not enough school places at Aireview Infant School this year to cope with the intake. Riddlesden has been offered as an alternative
click for more information

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

17/04/2015 : 23:11:30      reply with quote

posted by kvs
Heard tonight that there is not enough school places at Aireview Infant School this year to cope with the intake. Riddlesden has been offered as an alternative
Now that is a bit strange to say the least my Grandson lives in Riddlesden and could not get in at Riddlelsden school and has to travel to Eastburn school what is going on ??? shocked 8Oshocked 8Oshocked 8O

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 08:00:11      reply with quote

If this is true, and I were a parent in Silsden, I would be asking how many children are at Aire View (or promised a place there) who do not live in Silsden area? The school should be for local people first.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 10:24:06      reply with quote

no wonder there is so much traffic everywhere, people criss crossing the area to schools.This has a significant bearing on the proposals for mass house building in silsden if the schools are full now!

thanet
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2015 : 17:46:32      reply with quote

this will only get worse when all the new houses are built also what about the secondary school cases too i hear our children are mainly getting sent to keighley schools due to them being more places there so bradford not wanting to pay craven to take our children. we nned more schools if we are getting more houses even a secondary school would be good

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 10:15:38      reply with quote

this was brought to my attention by the childs father on fri night, I along with my ward collegue Adrian nmaylor are going to bring this disgraceful situation up with the appropriate people on Monday, watch this space. if any more of you have any difficulties regarding school places please contact me either on here or on 01535655057. we have had numerous meetings with the officers at bfd regarding the schooling at silsden and the need for a new school, at the moment it would seem that bradfords hands are tied by government,so all of you need to remember when voting who helps and who hinders.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 13:14:32      reply with quote

skippy... if you are raising this on Monday with the powers that be.. can you please get the answer to my previous point about how many children are being shipped in from outside Silsden area to Aire View? We may not like the answer..

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 14:01:45      reply with quote

100% behind you on this one Skippy.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 14:23:57      reply with quote

Silsden votes for Tory free market on education and then complains about the consequences.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 14:52:31      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Silsden votes for Tory free market on education and then complains about the consequences.
Silsden schools are controlled by Bradford which is a labour controlled council.

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 15:27:16      reply with quote

Children from Riddlesden have attended Aireview, some may still do so.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 15:55:00      reply with quote

maybe there has been a big increase in births 5 years ago. I always thought the criteria was geographical so those living nearest got first dibs then anyone with siblings at the school and then free for all, is this not the case anymore?

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 16:39:09      reply with quote

Peter no council in the country can build new schools, only free or independent schools can be built, which is a Tory policy. So don't blame the labour party for a lack of schools. Silsden schools should be for Silsden children first, just like Kildwick schools should be for Kildwick children, nod nod wink wink Peter.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 16:48:00      reply with quote

Old miner, please do not make this topic into one of your political crusades. This is a local issue for Silsden and Bradford Council. The council are supposed to provide an education for our children regardless of their political persuasion.

If you want to put your point of view on this matter please use the local / general election topics.

Thank you, Peter

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 16:50:05      reply with quote

having found a document relating to admissions numbers it was known from birth rates that there would not be enough places in 2015 at Aireview and projections are shown up to 2018, this does not include people who have moved to the area to live in the new houses which have been built recently and are continuing to be built so something will have to give.No more house building in silsden until the schools have capacity ie we need a new school now, no use waiting till all the proposed housing is built.I personally think the becks mill site should be used for a new combined infants and junior school and then housing can be built on the old school sites, less pressure then on green belt.The health centre was built with private finance so why not a school?

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 21:32:50      reply with quote

It is now a two and a half class intake . Previously it was a three class intake and this is where I think the problem started . More places were available than there were silsden children to fill , so children from outside the town were accepted. Their siblings are now asking for places and they are classed as priority over children who live in silsden with no other sibling at the school
The sibling rule is prioritised .

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2015 : 22:34:51      reply with quote

I always thought that the geographical residence took priority over siblings and that was the second criteria, it is stupid not to allow children who live in silsden to have a place, do you know how many silsden children have not got a place?

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 18:31:33      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by ginjo
I always thought that the geographical residence took priority over siblings and that was the second criteria, it is stupid not to allow children who live in silsden to have a place, do you know how many silsden children have not got a place?
The admissions policy is available from www.aireviewinfant.org.uk/downloadfile/424875

Criteria, in order, are:
1. Children with siblings in school
2. Children living within the catchment area
3. Children living elsewhere in the authority
4. Children living outside the authority.

Uusually, you'd have looked after children, and children with 'exceptional social or medical needs' in there too, with children who have statements of special needs treated separately (i.e. they don't do through the usual admissions process, but the statement can name a specific school which they are then automatically eligible to attend). All the information Bradford provide is available at www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/education_and_skills/schools/school_admissions/admission_arrangements.htm

happy :)

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:09:23      reply with quote

If what adeythom says is right, this has no logic whatsoever, and gravitates against local Silsden families. If someone from Riddlesden gets 1 child in to Aire View, then it entitles the next 5 children from the same family to have preference.
Other areas in the country do not operate in this way, there seems to be some politics at play here.
Hopefully skippy has been able to find out what is going on.....

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:23:06      reply with quote

posted by dexter
If what adeythom says is right, this has no logic whatsoever, and gravitates against local Silsden families. If someone from Riddlesden gets 1 child in to Aire View, then it entitles the next 5 children from the same family to have preference.
Other areas in the country do not operate in this way, there seems to be some politics at play here.
Hopefully skippy has been able to find out what is going on.....
Just for reference, Riddlesden's admissions policy (www.riddlesdenschool.org.uk/downloadfile/3482960) is slightly different, because it's a Church school:

1. Children in public care/adopted children/children with a residency order/children with special guardianship
2. Parish places: up to a maximum of 60 will be offered to children who reside within the boundaries of the Parish of Riddlesden, irrespective of religious faith or none.
3.Anglican places: when allocations of Parish places have been made, a number of Anglican places, not exceeding the number of places available after the allocation of Parish places, will be offered to children of practising Church of England families, whose regular attendance at worship is confirmed by a letter from the minister of the church, and who reside within travelling distance of the school.
4. Church places: when allocations of Anglican places have been made, a number of Church places, not exceeding the number of places available after the allocation of Parish and Anglican places, will be offered to children of families of other Christian denominations, whose regular attendance at worship is confirmed through contact from the minister of the church, and who reside within a travelling distance of the school.
5. Community places: when allocations of Parish, Anglican and Church places have been made, a number of Community places will be offered to all other children, using travelling distance criteria.

A child who has a statement of special educational need in which the school is named will be admitted to the school without reference to the above criteria.

Given that they're only 2 form entry (60 places), I'd guess any pupils going there from Silsden would do so under one of the Church/Anglican criteria (might be wrong, though!)

They use siblings as a 'tie breaker' in case of oversubscription.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:23:35      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I used Riddlesden only as an example, children from Keighley go to Silsden. If you want an example of "elsewhere", here is how it works in Sheffield

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/information-for-parentscarers/pupil-admissions/primary-school/over-subscription-criteria.html

Why are they different? And we are talking about over subscription here...
solid wood flooring

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:27:49      reply with quote

20 Silsden children have been rejected. That's nearly a full reception class

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:29:36      reply with quote

posted by kvs
20 Silsden children have been rejected. That's nearly a full reception class

Then this is a disgrace, and needs some serious investigation

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:36:10      reply with quote

Children should go to the nearest school which should be local. None of this clogging roads up for the school run.It cost's business billions not to mention the damage to the environment.If there is a lack of school places in Silsden the council should build a new school....in Silsden

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:39:38      reply with quote

That number is what I have been told. I do not know if this is 100% accurate.

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 19:45:13      reply with quote

posted by dexter
I used Riddlesden only as an example, children from Keighley go to Silsden. If you want an example of "elsewhere", here is how it works in Sheffield

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/information-for-parentscarers/pupil-admissions/primary-school/over-subscription-criteria.html

Why are they different? And we are talking about over subscription here...
Oversubscription is the key - Bradford allocate places, but the admissions policy for oversubscribed schools is decided by the governors of that specific school (which is why they vary from school to school, depending on circumstances), not the LEA. One possibility with the popularity of Aire View is that some parents might want their small children to go to a school which only houses infants - and Aire View's the only infants school in Bradford District, I think!

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 20:08:06      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Children should go to the nearest school which should be local. None of this clogging roads up for the school run.It cost's business billions not to mention the damage to the environment.If there is a lack of school places in Silsden the council should build a new school....in Silsden
Just for comparative purposes, Baildon has a population of just under 16,000, and has four primary schools (and at least one secondary school), Silsden has a population of around 8,000, and has one (OK two, but effectively one 4-11 primary on split sites) - approx. 1370 Primary places in Baildon (excluding Nurseries), around 510 in Silsden.

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 20:24:25      reply with quote

Please ignore the 20 children comment . I think it is probably a lot less then 10, but still distressing for the families x

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 20:53:59      reply with quote

What this needs is for STC to submit a Freedom of Information request to Aire View School to get the correct facts about pupils who live outside the Silsden catchment area, how many there are, and how many are promised places in the new intake. People are entitled to know what is going on, and the true figures would reveal all.
Maybe skippy has learned a lot from his meeting today, and will let us know the true position. He is our Mayor, and has the parents interests at heart I'm sure. Somebody has to represent the parents, however many there are.

adeythom
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 21:04:24      reply with quote

posted by kvs
Please ignore the 20 children comment . I think it is probably a lot less then 10, but still distressing for the families x
Don't forget, there's an independent appeals process for parents who don't get into their preferred school. The issue with appeals and Aire View, though, is that the legal restriction on infant class sizes - no more than 30 - makes it more difficult to win an appeal than it might otherwise be.

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 21:45:51      reply with quote

Parents prefer their children to get into South Craven. Aireview and Hothfield are their route.

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2015 : 23:35:29      reply with quote

Hothfield and Aire View have historically been at loggerheads with the powers that be in the Bradford education system over projected pupil numbers.

The separate Infant and Junior school system in Silsden (the only one in the Bradford Education Authority) works against the schools on many levels, including funding, consistency in the teaching of the curriculum in the early years, and flexibility when numbers vary from one years intake to the next. The schools are always on a knife edge regarding adequate funding to balance a two class or a three class intake.

Don't forget two schools need two heads, two deputy heads, duplication in admin and support staff etc, and the only thing that suffers from that is funding for actual teaching. The system is now geared up to the combined primary school system. Silsden needs it - some of the local councilors seem more intent on developing more supermarket facilities or housing that the present infrastructure just cannot cope with. Where on earth do they think the future education of Silsden children is going to come from. It's common sense to me - and I keep banging on about it in numerous topics within the forum - turn the old Weavstyle site into a brand new Primary school with additional sports facilities that the local people of Silsden can utilise (Swimming, sports hall, etc). Then you have two old school sites in the middle of the village that would be ideal to turn into suitable housing for the area without destroying great chunks of the green belt just yet.

If the Education Authority aren't willing to invest in the future of children in Silsden why can't the local council go out to tender with a developer to build the school under the promise of the existing sites being made available to them to develop future housing. Councilors, start thinking outside the box.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2015 : 08:22:19      reply with quote

Don't blame Bradford council for not building more schools, the Tory's changed the rules NO COUNCILS CAN BUILD NEW SCHOOLS only FREE or INDEPENDANT SCHOOLS CAN BE BUILT.

NOTE

I will not tolerate this topic being turned into a political football. This is too important a subject to be diverted into a political blame game. Bradford Council have known about the problem of infant schooling in Silsden for years and (I know) they have been actively looking for a site to build a new school, not easy given the geography.

If you must put a political slant on this problem then you should use this topic
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=7458

Thank you, Peter (admin)

victor
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2015 : 09:00:35      reply with quote

Some people who move to Silsden don't think the schools are good enough,so they send them to Kildwick school.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2015 : 09:45:47      reply with quote

posted by victor
Some people who move to Silsden don't think the schools are good enough,so they send them to Kildwick school.
Some people who have lived in Silsden all their lives take their children to Kildwick school, because of the pupil:teacher ratio And standards.

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

21/04/2015 : 09:51:23      reply with quote

Not all parents drive or have access to a car to ferry their children elsewhere.

Replies in this thread : 70
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Not enough school places at Aireview infant school for children living in Silsden  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to