Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > habisat

Replies in this thread : 21

Author

Topic : habisat

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

28/04/2015 : 17:24:45      reply with quote

I have heard recently from two different sources that habisat are moving out of silsden, anyone know whether this is true? I hope not after all the fuss made when Aldi wanted to come to silsden,the argument being that if Aldi did not get permission, habisat would move away from silsden!
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

28/04/2015 : 22:26:53      reply with quote

if what I heard is true, they are moving to Elland

BubbyVee
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 10:33:17      reply with quote

If this turns out to be true I think someone has been SHAFTED!

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 11:36:13      reply with quote

So in return for granting the planning permission to Aldi, allowing Habasit to sell the land to Aldi so they had money to invest in the Silsden factory, did no-one think to make Habasit covenant to keep their Silsden plant in operation, in Silsden, for a number of years?

This seems to me one of the most basic considerations that should have been thought of by someone interested in the town's welfare.

Where are the reports of the move coming from? Is there a link to an online source or is this all just rumours at present? What are the sources of this information? Employees? Spouses of employees?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 12:24:30      reply with quote

The planning statement for the project states: "The development would allow Habasit to improve its operational efficiency, enabling it to remain in Silsden and retain its workforce.

"This can only be achieved through a significant level of investment to be realised by the sale of part of its site."

Bradford Council failed to get the promise in writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 12:25:05      reply with quote

posted by jonno
So in return for granting the planning permission to Aldi, allowing Habasit to sell the land to Aldi so they had money to invest in the Silsden factory, did no-one think to make Habasit covenant to keep their Silsden plant in operation, in Silsden, for a number of years?

This seems to me one of the most basic considerations that should have been thought of by someone interested in the town's welfare.

Where are the reports of the move coming from? Is there a link to an online source or is this all just rumours at present? What are the sources of this information? Employees? Spouses of employees?
Sounds true moving to Elland

victor
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 12:47:55      reply with quote

Gazzer sad to say but I don't think that planning permission can be granted on condition that a company stays in business.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 12:50:43      reply with quote

posted by victor
Gazzer sad to say but I don't think that planning permission can be granted on condition that a company stays in business.
If thats true they should not have been allowed to sway the issue by mentioning it

BubbyVee
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 12:52:51      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Didn't STC get sucked in to this so called shafting as well?

Along with quite a few other Tesco Protesters!

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 13:06:39      reply with quote

I cannot reveal my sources, but I do not think it is just tittle tattle.Maybe someone on the town council might know a bit more about it.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 15:11:23      reply with quote

Only way to find out is ask.

So I have rung them up and the lady confirmed they are to relocate.

Perhaps our Town Council might ask them to donate some of the money they made from the Aldi site to be spent on Silsden

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 15:18:57      reply with quote

Is this going to be soon? I got the impression it was.Just goes to show you can,t trust anyone these days!

BubbyVee
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 15:30:02      reply with quote

Absolutely obscene!!
Gaining money by first threatening to leave and then when everyone bends over backwards to help them by getting an Aldi investor THEY BOG OFF!!

You would have thought they would have had the decency to stay at least a year or two!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 15:45:50      reply with quote

That building has never been much of an employer for Silsden. When it opened as Laxtons it bussed workers in from Keighley.

It is bad taking the money and moving and all we will get is a bus stop from them

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

29/04/2015 : 19:32:07      reply with quote

All efforts should now go into finding a replacement business to take over the premises and hopefully provide some jobs for the town. Or is there room for a new school there? I would prefer the old "Tesco" site really, to link up with the sports field etc.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 08:03:18      reply with quote

gazzer have you any information regarding how many Silsden residents worked at Laxtons or Habisat?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 08:17:56      reply with quote

posted by midway
gazzer have you any information regarding how many Silsden residents worked at Laxtons or Habisat?
No but coming from a textile family there was talk of improved job prospects in Silsden which didnt appear to happen and people were surprised to see people bussed in. It should not have been a surprise as it was not a new business it was just a re-location from Ingrow.
Off the top of my head this would have been around 1978 or 79 and around 10 years later Laxtons moved on to I think Guiseley where they remain.

History is repeating itself with Habisit but it could be an attractive building for someone else and has plans to extend if needed.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 08:29:22      reply with quote

www.laxtons.com/assets/resources/files/centenary_article.pdf

BubbyVee
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 08:48:29      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
That building has never been much of an employer for Silsden. When it opened as Laxtons it bussed workers in from Keighley.

It is bad taking the money and moving and all we will get is a bus stop from them
Gazzer neither is Aldi. Cannot recognise anyone from Silsden. That's why there is so many Staff Cars parked in there at 7 in the morning!!!

I think if you narrowed it down for all businesses in Silsden (especially on Belton Road) there wouldn't be many left open!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 09:41:04      reply with quote

posted by BubbyVee
posted by gazzer

Gazzer neither is Aldi. Cannot recognise anyone from Silsden. That's why there is so many Staff Cars parked in there at 7 in the morning!!!

I think if you narrowed it down for all businesses in Silsden (especially on Belton Road) there wouldn't be many left open!
Thats the trouble with the country today everyone commutes. When Laxtons opened in Silsden there were still mills open and staffed by Cobbydalers. When Holmes Laxton was the company name and based in Ingrow George Holmes commuted from Ilkley...but often on FOOT.Perhaps it would be good for the environment if companies got a tax break for employing people who live local.

BubbyVee
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 10:31:54      reply with quote

Great idea Gazzer. You should be a politician unless you already are? You standing next Thursday?
solid wood flooring

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

30/04/2015 : 12:26:14      reply with quote

posted by BubbyVee
Great idea Gazzer. You should be a politician unless you already are? You standing next Thursday?
A politician??? nah im happy saying what I think and when I am wrong people can tell me and prove me wrong.A politician should only say what the people who elected them want them to say(not all of them do)

Replies in this thread : 21

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > habisat