Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Aldi causing traffic back up

Replies in this thread : 16

Author

Topic : Aldi causing traffic back up

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 19:41:51      reply with quote

I cannot understand how Aldi got planning permission without having to do something about the traffic it would attract.Traffic regularly backed up to the bypass while someone is waiting to turn right into Aldi.I am sure no other store would have got away with it.It was very bad this lunchtime, I think it is attracting people from other areas, not just locals.The entrance should have been on belton road with a mini roundabout
click for more information

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 20:18:42      reply with quote

traffic being bad as you say was due to part of addingham being shut off, nowt to do with aldi, while waiting 4 a bus to keighley(top of bolton rd) i had 5 different car drivers stop to ask me the way to skipton as the way they normally go to skipton via ilkley/addingham was blocked off

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 20:30:50      reply with quote

This was the cause

www.northyorksfire.gov.uk/news-events/breaking-news/road_traffic_collision_a65_draughton

Not Aldi

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 20:59:24      reply with quote

Nothing to do with Aldi.

As well as the Drafton accident

North Yorkshire decided to resurface the road (again) at the Cononley turnoff and traffic started backing up from the Cross Hills roundabout from 9.30am, by 10am it was back as far as the eye could see from the top Kildwick Church tower and from the speed it was moving at it wouldn't have surprised me if it were as far back as Keighley. All the roads were gridlocked.

The A629 Northbound carriageway did not clear until about 2pm.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 22:41:03      reply with quote

sorry but what I saw was to do with Aldi because we saw the cars waiting to turn into Aldi holding up the traffic which was backed up to the bypass, I see this on a regular basis,The draughton accident was early this morning I am talking about 1pm!! it was inevitable that cars wanting to turn right would hold traffic up

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 22:53:05      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
sorry but what I saw was to do with Aldi because we saw the cars waiting to turn into Aldi holding up the traffic which was backed up to the bypass, I see this on a regular basis,The draughton accident was early this morning I am talking about 1pm!! it was inevitable that cars wanting to turn right would hold traffic up
Impossible to see cars waiting to turn into Aldi AND see traffic at the roundabout unless you were in an helicopter. If you queued at the roundabout by the time you get to Aldi any cars that caused a queue will be in the car park or you wouldnt have been able to get to Aldi if the cars didnt manage to enter the car park.

What probably happened.
Traffic was queuing all the way through Silsden because of the diversion. By the time you reached Aldi there were some cars wanting to turn into Aldi for either shopping or turning around because of the queue.

I will add traffic queued back to the by pass before Aldi opened. The entry to Aldi should though have been on Belton Rd with a mini roundabout onto Keighley Rd.

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

27/06/2015 : 23:30:09      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
The A65 was closed until around 2pm because of the accident at Draughton.

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 10:38:11      reply with quote

..and again! With only one route through Silsden any disruption will cause a traffic issue. We need that by-pass! Why aren't our Councillors fighting the cause?!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 11:27:35      reply with quote

What we need is helpful drivers who give way to let other road users into road junctions, then the traffic will keep moving.
I have lost count of the number of times I have seen drivers not let others turn into Elliott St, only to be blocked from turning into Clog Bridge by vehicles who can't move forward because of the stationary traffic that can't move because of the vehicle needing to turn into Elliott St.
Or they block the turning into Wesley Place when queuing down Kirkgate, somebody wants to turn into Wesley Place can't and the traffic behind them block the road.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 21:00:01      reply with quote

I think there are some posters on this site in denial about vehicles waiting to turn right into the Aldi car park. I have regularly been in a tailback from the bypass & this has definitely been caused by vehicles waiting to turn right into Aldi. Or. they are vehicles wanting to turn right into Belton Road or into the petrol station or Fryers. When the new houses below the canal are occupied there will be even more hold ups. How much longer do we have to wait for that allusive by-pass.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 21:17:39      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
I think there are some posters on this site in denial about vehicles waiting to turn right into the Aldi car park. I have regularly been in a tailback from the bypass & this has definitely been caused by vehicles waiting to turn right into Aldi. Or. they are vehicles wanting to turn right into Belton Road or into the petrol station or Fryers. When the new houses below the canal are occupied there will be even more hold ups. How much longer do we have to wait for that allusive by-pass.
The traffic queued back before Aldi.And it queues right through Silsden.Some in the queue may turn into Aldi but no way does that fact cause traffic to queue back to the roundabout.

Tell me how you know when you join a tailback at the roundabout that it is cars turning at Aldi that caused it?. You cant see the Aldi entrance from the roundabout

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 21:58:24      reply with quote

Gazzer, the last time I was in this situation I saw as I came past the telephone exchange one vehicle waiting to turn right into Aldi, he turned,then maybe 2 or 3 vehicles more passed by then another vehicle waiting to turn right into Aldi, then another. It seems reasonable to assume that this state of affairs had lasted for some time before I got into the line of sight. Once I got past the Aldi turn the road was completely clear & traffic was moving smoothly. A 2-3 minute journey from the roundabout to Clog Bridge took about 15 minutes. This was on Thursday last week around 1pm, nowt to do with any traffic accidents in Addingham. Obviously, if there is a volume of traffic coming through Sisden towards the by-pass then there is always going to be hold-ups as cars try to turn right into Aldi, or Belton Road or whatever. Its only going to get worse!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 23:42:49      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
Gazzer, the last time I was in this situation I saw as I came past the telephone exchange one vehicle waiting to turn right into Aldi, he turned,then maybe 2 or 3 vehicles more passed by then another vehicle waiting to turn right into Aldi, then another. It seems reasonable to assume that this state of affairs had lasted for some time before I got into the line of sight. Once I got past the Aldi turn the road was completely clear & traffic was moving smoothly. A 2-3 minute journey from the roundabout to Clog Bridge took about 15 minutes. This was on Thursday last week around 1pm, nowt to do with any traffic accidents in Addingham. Obviously, if there is a volume of traffic coming through Sisden towards the by-pass then there is always going to be hold-ups as cars try to turn right into Aldi, or Belton Road or whatever. Its only going to get worse!!
I honestly cant see that causing traffic to back upto the roundabout.The capacity for cars from Aldi to the roundabout is about 187 cars. You are suggesting one out of at least 4 cars turn into Aldi coming from the bypass. So when you join the queue with 186 cars in front of you about 46 would be going to Aldi. Thats 46 in a 15 minute period or a rate of 184 cars going to Aldi every hour. PLUS any going from the Silsden Town Centre side.There are only 114 car parking spaces!.

I shop at Aldi most days and on leaving the car park I usually turn right into Silsden. I thought when the entrance/exit was proposed it would always be a problem getting out. And to be honest its easy.

I will put my dash cam on when I leave Silsden and im confident any queues back to the roundabout will be sheer volume of traffic through Silsden and not the odd Aldi shopper.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

28/06/2015 : 23:48:14      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
This was on Thursday last week around 1pm, nowt to do with any traffic accidents in Addingham.
Did you see this post on Thursday last week

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

25/06/2015 : 14:57:08 reply with quote
when I was in silsden about 1pm, there were four ambulances, 2 police cars and a police van coming through from Addingham direction, no lights or sirens, assume they were on their way back from something, either that or they were having a day out.Anyone know what it was about?

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2015 : 09:24:24      reply with quote

I refer you back to my post!
Nobody would have to wait to turn right into either Aldi or Belton Road IF drivers going out of Town would just ease up a second and let them turn in.
Any proposed bypass will not in the end help the problems of Silsden, it will only allow even more houses to be built, which will increase traffic.
When the M25 was proposed they said it would solve the traffic problems in London! I don't think it has, instead the M25 is just another car park most of the time.
Stop blaming the roads and instead admit the problem is caused by the nuts that hold the steering wheels.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

29/06/2015 : 14:04:17      reply with quote

I was more annoyed this morning when the lorry coming out of aldi and turning to go to the by-pass did so by pulling out without looking towards Silsden at all - there by causing me to take evasive action.

Then again five minutes later a girl passed me on the by-pass busily chatting away on the phone......

BMWR1100SS
Website Member

Website Member

30/06/2015 : 19:49:51      reply with quote

dodzi were you on a motorcycle..if so then i saw this situation take place and to be honest the wagon driver was trying to edge his way out across the other side of the road to swing his trailer round the junction,and if it was you on the motorcycle then i could see how annoying it could have been for you but the was no evasive action needed by your self as you could clearly view the arctic in plenty of time to slow down instead of beeping your horn and waving your arms lol.if it was not you on the motorcycle then please ignore this whole rant..

Replies in this thread : 16

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Aldi causing traffic back up  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to