Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Storm

Replies in this thread : 27

Author

Topic : Storm

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 00:12:08      reply with quote

That was some storm.Reports suggest flooding on Kirkgate,St John St and the bottom of Howden Road with water pouring from storm drains by the Toyota garage
click for more information

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 00:12:52      reply with quote

And those hailstones

hermione fraggle
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 07:13:14      reply with quote

Cyclists and Motorcylcists (and vehicle drivers) watch out. I travelled over Cringles this morning and some of the storm drain grates have lifted and and sitting on the carriageway. Now I amat work I am going to report these to Brad Met.

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 07:14:44      reply with quote

Yes, the water was rushing down Howden Road like never before, It was at least three inches deep as it went past Jacques Grove.
At one point I was convinced we were going to have broken windows with all the huge hail stones battering the house, they were piled up against the wall six inches deep after a few minutes.

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 08:50:42      reply with quote

What a storm last night…
This was the river that suddenly appeared coming out of Prince Street, across Elliott Street and down in to Millfields.. Just took a wheelie bin off its feet and of it went at quite some speed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59625127/Silsden-2015_07_01.MOV

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 11:54:21      reply with quote

Hope you don't mind Baldybogey, i lifted this shot off your video. where are you stood whilst filming?

Baldybogey
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 13:11:38      reply with quote

Sat in the car on Elliott street looking up towards the fire station just at the junction of Millfields...

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 14:32:49      reply with quote

Whilst taking our dog for her walk this morning I noticed all the gullies down Skipton Rd, Dradishaw Rd and up Woodside Rd were covered in the grass cutting left by the Bradford Met men, after they cut the grass over the last few days.
Is it any wonder we have flooding, Bradford do not understand the meaning of maintenance!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 18:47:42      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I think its more the diameter of the storm drains that is the problem.And there seems to be no let up in the amount of water being put into them. Fancy little "holding tanks" wont make much difference to storms last night.

At a guess rainwater from Croft/Snells ends up at the Howden Rd/St John St junction. This is what Snells planning consultation said

Drainage

Adopted foul and surface water drains cross the site from North to South. Our drainage consultants
are designing a surface water storage
system
located in the new adopted road, which will store the water and
only
release it into the surface water drain at an agreed rate

Come on..how big a holding tank can be built!!

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 19:51:15      reply with quote

Just to echo grandads post.
When we had a walk at lunchtime other half commented on exactly what grandad said, the drains full of the grass clippings from the BradMet mowers that had washed down. Most of the verges look like hay fields at present.

What a storm, the mother of all. The hail stones on our conservatory roof and the velux in the roof in our kitchen sounded like all hell broke loose, thankfully no damage.All the lawns about were white and the road outside like a river in full flow.Sounds like we may be in for another dose tomorrow according to the forecasters.

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2015 : 20:15:53      reply with quote

I thought we had got way with it.

But I have just looked on top of our conservatory roof and the outer skin is peppered with two inch diameter holes where the hailstones have gone right through, not one of the nine panels has escaped so its going to need a completely new roof.

It was not obvious looking from the inside, so if you have a conservatory get your ladders out and have a look on top.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 10:36:38      reply with quote

Thanks PGP for that info. Our conservatory roof is badly holed on the outer skin, looks fine inside.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 18:51:39      reply with quote

Unfortunately my car suffered the fate of so many and has been pitted with small dents on the bonnet and roof. I don't really wish to go down the line of claiming on my insurance to get them repaired. Has anybody any suggestions?
I feel so sorry for those who have had caravans damaged, many beyond economic repair.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 19:03:36      reply with quote

Happywalker...I think there are small dent repair kits which could help. Have a look on Amazon, but can't vouch for them. Try researching on Google.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 19:15:27      reply with quote

As anybody contacted their insurance, because i don't think the damage will be covered. please prove me wrong.

thanet
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 19:27:43      reply with quote

midway i have been in touch with my house insurance about my conservatory roof and i am covered they are coming in morning to assess i have the first £100 to pay.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 19:44:18      reply with quote

I have spoken to a couple of caravan owners who already have assessors from their insurance companies coming out to give quotes. I also heard that TF Smiths have been presented with about 40 damaged cars.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 19:47:36      reply with quote

Good news is that thanet, thank you, any body claimed for damage on the car.

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 19:54:16      reply with quote

Our conservatory roof is covered too, like Thanet first £100 to pay, assessing tomorrow....PHEW!!!

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 20:23:14      reply with quote

Our insurance assessor is coming monday, very quick response to our call although they did say they were very busy on the phone lines. Also the company which built the conservatory are coming to give us a quote.
One thing to add, we have been told that a strengthened glass roof is a better option than the usual plastic type. We shall see.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 20:46:33      reply with quote

For those people wanting to have a go themselves, not guaranteed but i have had success in the past. one is a suction pad, is ok for the odd dent, worth a try as it wont damage the bodywork. the other tool is a wallpaper edge roller, ideal if you can roll the dent out from inside the panel. is better if you can use both tools together, thats one pulling and the other pushing. Now please DO NOT attempt to tap the dent out with a hammer. you'll wish you hadn't.

solid wood flooring

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 21:38:52      reply with quote

Thanks Midway. I have read about using a hair dryer ( or heat gun ) and dry ice. Where does one get dry ice from? Now I know Aldi is good, but ....

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 22:11:39      reply with quote

Try Pure Dents mobile paintless mobile dent removal 07970 152698 for a free quote

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

03/07/2015 : 22:15:17      reply with quote

Thanks Hillbilly.

Jolly Bob
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2015 : 10:42:20      reply with quote

In the past I have installed several storm water holding tanks on various sites from housing to new schools. Most of them were huge and very effective and needed large cranes to lift them into position. However many are now constructed of smaller crates stacked together
All avoided problems with too much water flowing into storm drains.
Most if not all new sites where the drainage connects to existing already crowded storm drains have to install them

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2015 : 19:33:15      reply with quote

I guess I should have been thinking about how effective these holding tanks were when I was trying to clear gullies at that bottom of St.John's Street the other night as surface water ran out of the estate where the old plastics factory was located at the bottom of Howden Road. It was made worse by surface water running down Howden Road possibly from the new estate being built above Daisy Hill where fields would have originally absorbed heavy rain prior to house building. Controlled release, don't make me laugh. I was not amused. I was even less amused by sewage backing up the sewer in the beck behind St.John's Street which resulted in 4 properties having raw sewage coming up onto their land from sewage inspection covers. Yorkshire Water, who came the following day, say that nothing can be done because the piping infrastructure in Silsden cannot cope & will continue to remain a problem until a more effective piping system is installed. But, of course Bradford keep on approving even more housing so this disgusting inundation of raw sewage, complicated by drainage from house roof guttering, will continue unabated.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/07/2015 : 21:07:14      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
I guess I should have been thinking about how effective these holding tanks were when I was trying to clear gullies at that bottom of St.John's Street the other night as surface water ran out of the estate where the old plastics factory was located at the bottom of Howden Road. It was made worse by surface water running down Howden Road possibly from the new estate being built above Daisy Hill where fields would have originally absorbed heavy rain prior to house building. Controlled release, don't make me laugh. I was not amused. I was even less amused by sewage backing up the sewer in the beck behind St.John's Street which resulted in 4 properties having raw sewage coming up onto their land from sewage inspection covers. Yorkshire Water, who came the following day, say that nothing can be done because the piping infrastructure in Silsden cannot cope & will continue to remain a problem until a more effective piping system is installed. But, of course Bradford keep on approving even more housing so this disgusting inundation of raw sewage, complicated by drainage from house roof guttering, will continue unabated.
I do not suppose you could get Yorkshire Water to confirm in writing which could help slow future building works.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

05/07/2015 : 22:49:31      reply with quote

This is one we'll not forget.( attributed to Sam Middleton)

Replies in this thread : 27

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Storm