Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Fox Hunting

Replies in this thread : 35

Author

Topic : Fox Hunting

ted
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 15:10:36      reply with quote

does anyone know if our local MP will fight to keep the ban on fox hunting? or will he support Cameron and approve of this horrific 'sport'?
click for more information

Dave
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 16:10:23      reply with quote

According to the Telegraph he is in favour of it.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/foxhunting/11635617/Foxhunting-ban-Will-my-MP-vote-to-repeal-it.html

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 17:43:00      reply with quote

Well done Chris! Can't have these townies telling us what to do in the countryside!

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 18:04:42      reply with quote

I believe there should be a once and for all referendum on this issue.
If the Tories wont give us that then they should apply the same rules they apply to unions who want to hold a strike ballot, 50% of those eligible to vote must vote in favour of the action.
There is no room in a civilised nation to allow the unspeakable to chase and kill the uneatable.
Raver it is not a countryside verses towns people, it is the barbaric people against the will of the majority, we are supposed to be living in a democracy, the majority of the public want it to stay band and that is the way it should stay!

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 18:58:18      reply with quote

As a person who has lived in or near the rural parts of our area I find Raver's post quite amazing. Many people who have witnessed the apalling spectacle of a fox hunt feel the same, those who like chasing wild animals until they are exhausted and then seeing a pack of dogs rip a live animal apart obviously differ.

These activities belong in the past, the supporters bring out the usual comments about it being the most efficient form of control...oh yeah 40 or so horses and riders plus dogs plus followers to kill one fox, truly efficient...in a bad way.

Fancy dress slaughter should not be a twenty first century activity, have we not moved on at all from our past?

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 19:19:35      reply with quote

posted by Raver
Well done Chris! Can't have these townies telling us what to do in the countryside!
Hey Raver have a pop up here sometime we can cover you in the foxes sent and then all the hounds and horses and riders can chase you all round fifty acres i think that would be great fun are you up for it shocked 8Oshocked 8Oshocked 8Olaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

Raver
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 21:08:26      reply with quote

Hey - some comments are a little unfair! I don't complain about all those people who go to arenas on a Saturday afternoon to watch part of a dead cow being kicked about...!

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 21:49:05      reply with quote

Very unfair Raver...you don't even know the name of our local MP....maybe best not to post about things you have no knowledge of... if you want to kill our wildlife maybe best to make your views clear

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/07/2015 : 21:54:32      reply with quote

The only difference between hunting and animals acting naturally is that humans are involved. I am sure all those bunny rabbits chased and eaten by Mr Fox would be happy to join the campaign against hunting. As for those teeny weeny mice gobbled up by birds that dive on them, terrible.

Pack animals chasing a loan victim is part of the natural order of life. Including a few humans and horses and humans hardly makes any difference.

It is the same ignorance that means people generally eat lamb but not veal. Both are young animals!!

Dogs are genetically modified wolves. Cows are genetically modified as well. In the wild some herd animals will gang up for self protection against marauding wolves. Cows chasing a dog are just acting on their genetic instincts.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 15:39:20      reply with quote

old minor
Your argument is totally bogus, all of those occasions you list are when one species kills another in order to eat and therefore live, fox hunting is a blood thirsty sport invented by man, they breed dogs to kill foxes; just so they can ride their horses for fun/profit.
They claim that it is the best way to reduce the number of foxes! well if that's so why are we not now overrun by foxes? the unnecessary SPORT has been outlawed now for ten years, lets keep it that way.

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 15:52:07      reply with quote

rifle and night lamp is the best way to eliminate them, theres pros and cons on both sides,which ever you believe in thats down to you, in places fox culling does need to be done(not in this area though) the reading/watching of foxes attacking youngsters in their own house will be common place up n down the country if they are not controlled,as the *wild fox* becomes urbanised by so called do gooders feeding them in their own back gardens, they will in time become fearless of man and quite simply attack, humans, dogs,cats etc etc, and dont turn round and tell me i dont know wot im talking about, as ive probs forgot more about them than any of you lot know of them

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 17:14:32      reply with quote

Roosterman, I don't believe the majority of the public have much problem with urban foxes being controlled, or even some of the more rural ones; if their numbers become a problem.
But to chase them to exhaustion and then tear them apart whilst still alive with a pack of dogs is not acceptable in any civilised society.
There have been cases where the pack have followed a fox into school playgrounds and killed it in front of the terrified children.
It is not the culling of foxes that is objected to, it is the way these so called sportsmen want to glorify it; that is.

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 18:11:17      reply with quote

trust me on this one, no sooner have the dog(s) caught hold of the fox, its dead, simple as, no arguing with me on that 1, 1 thing i dont like about it though is the fact if the fox goes to ground, its won, to fight another day, but oh no, they call up the terrierman to put his/her terriers down the holes, poor fox aint got a prayer then as its already knackered with running upteen miles

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 18:37:24      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by HurricaneHector
Roosterman, I don't believe the majority of the public have much problem with urban foxes being controlled, or even some of the more rural ones; if their numbers become a problem.
But to chase them to exhaustion and then tear them apart whilst still alive with a pack of dogs is not acceptable in any civilised society.
There have been cases where the pack have followed a fox into school playgrounds and killed it in front of the terrified children.
It is not the culling of foxes that is objected to, it is the way these so called sportsmen want to glorify it; that is.
In the wild animals are hunted by being run to exhaustion. Plenty of examples shown on tellers. IMAX though is much more terrific. So humans hunting do much the same thing. All part of the natural food chain except humans often hunt to protect their industrial system of food acquisition, commonly known as farming.
Ignorance and sentimentality about the real world shows the depressing limits of our education of children.

ted
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 20:45:08      reply with quote

old miner- you have to draw the line on certain forms of hunting. Some hunting is natural but Toffs jumping on horseback to outnumber a lone fox with a pack of hounds is completely unnatural and unnecessary.

Your dangerous views must also deem it acceptable for my dog to savage your cat to death, worse still you must also advocate humans hunting other humans as 'all hunting is acceptable' according to your ridiculous views.

It's easy for you to sit there in the comfort of your home and watch the Tories bring back murder to our countryside but those of us with morals will rise against the cruel/torturous abuse.

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

13/07/2015 : 21:04:32      reply with quote

old miner....... yes a wild animal is hunted by another wild animal or bird, to exhaustion as you say, they dont know any different, they hunting 4 food, to survive, where as huntsmen with a pack of hounds who run a fox to ground, which in my mind and many millions of other people will agree that fox deserves a pat on the back 4 out foxing the hounds, it doesnt deserve to be then subjected to terriers been sent down the hole to either be killed down below or to be flushed out of cover 4 it to be chased again, to me thats no better than dog baiting, the huntsmen should take their hats of to the fox if it did manage to go to ground , so this is the difference between knowing and in a wild animals case of hunting not knowing when to stop........ we can all go on till we blue in the face on this topic and none will win

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 08:06:03      reply with quote

Humans hunt humans all the time.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 10:55:43      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
So you are saying that it is right for humans to kill other humans?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 11:19:52      reply with quote

Back to the subject

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 11:46:27      reply with quote

Arguments are over folks.... the vote tomorrow has been "Scotched"....!

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 11:59:28      reply with quote

yep and we know which way basil brush will be voting laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dwink ;)boom boom
solid wood flooring

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 12:39:30      reply with quote

posted by HurricaneHector
posted by old_miner
So you are saying that it is right for humans to kill other humans?

Peter my question is still on topic, old minor appears to say that it is right to kill foxes in this barbaric way because humans kill each other!
I want to see his logic for saying this.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 12:41:36      reply with quote

dexter, why do you say the vote has been scotched?
I only saw that the SNP were to vote against it, is there something else I have missed?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 13:19:34      reply with quote

Vote "postponed" as Govt can't get a majority now. As I understand it anyway.... Was trying a bit of humour

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 17:54:30      reply with quote

Hunting means killing?

Better avoid treasure hunts from now on.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 18:15:17      reply with quote

I dont have a view on fox hunting.I do have a view on the SNP.They allow foxhunting in Scotland but were to vote against it in England. Its time for English only votes for English laws

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

14/07/2015 : 20:16:01      reply with quote

old minor, why don't you answer my question?
Nobody has said that hunting means killing, But fox hunting by definition does mean killing foxes; in a most disgusting way possible.

ishy
Website Member

Website Member

15/07/2015 : 04:23:44      reply with quote

In order to qualify some horses for hunter chases they had to follow hounds and be signed off by the master of the hunt, I got the chance to qualify a few when I wer a lad. Nothing comes close to the thrill of jumping anything in front of you full chat following hounds on full song, I'm no toff, born and raised in a council house up Dradi road. It wasn't about killing a fox, most of the time they lost the scent, more enjoying a good day of sport.
I understand those who don't like the thought of any blood sports or hunting, what I don't understand is why they feel their view is what everyone else should agree with, especially when their knowledge of the subject is acquired from TV hype and tabloid news.

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

15/07/2015 : 08:34:36      reply with quote

"they breed dogs to kill foxes"

Actually if you know who to ask you will find they breed foxes to be killed by dogs.
It is not very well known about, but where I used to live near Masham it was certainly the case.
Since the ban they will have stopped breeding them, that is why we are not over-run by wild foxes.......... We never were.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

16/07/2015 : 10:34:25      reply with quote

ishey, Can't you ride as you say with the hounds following a sent trail laid my one of your fellows, instead of a fox?

ishy
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2015 : 00:17:55      reply with quote

Not ridden in 30 years, probably fall off if I tried. Just posting a different view why people are passionate about fox hunting.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

17/07/2015 : 10:45:00      reply with quote

ishey, when I said you; I was meaning the fox hunting fraternity in general not you in particular.

ishy
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2015 : 00:17:26      reply with quote

That is my understanding how they do hunt now.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2015 : 10:18:29      reply with quote

So if they get all that they need as it is now, why do they want to go back to murdering foxes?

ishy
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2015 : 15:37:06      reply with quote

I suppose it's like washing your feet with your socks on, maybe a virtual hunting game would suffice then they wouldn't have to go out in cold weather.

I live in Oregon, hunting and fishing are a big part of the lifestyle, people who do take part are the ones who seem to be more inclined to take care of the countryside and wildlife.

Hope you get what you wish for, I'm not going to flog the horse that died many years ago.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2015 : 18:06:49      reply with quote

Come back ishy .

ishy
Website Member

Website Member

13/02/2008 : 22:12:49 reply with quote
I grew up in Silsden, most of the family are still in or around that area, I moved to the west coast of the US in late 88.
I have been back about 7 times to visit since then, great to see old faces and get my fill of fish and chips.

Not a lot seems to have changed in the past twenty years, and you do notice what a Solid small town community Silsden is.

I can see the attraction and why many do spend their entire life there, for me! moving to the US was the best thing I ever did, still a grand place to visit Silsden, and tha dun't find better folk anywere.

Replies in this thread : 35

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Fox Hunting  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to